Man of Steel Teaser Breakdown

#1 Posted by MB25 (337 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/14/extended-man-of-steel-teaser-brings-superman-to-comic-con/

Written on July 14, 2012 by Brendon Connelly in Film, Recent Updates

We’ve just been treated to a Con-exclusive teaser for Man of Steel.

Surprisingly, the look of Zack Snyder‘s footage leans on the handheld, intimate look of something like a Bourne movie. Shots tended to focus on details, the camera operator tended to walk behind characters, or hold the shot loose. Snyder has tended towards a very different look before, so I wasn’t expecting this at all.

But beyond the look, what did today’s trailer reveal?

We saw several shots of a young Clark Kent. As a very young kid, he is seen playing outside of the Kent’s house, wearing a cape, running about and posing. As a teenager he’s seen saving a school bus of kids after it comes off a bridge and plunges into water.

I managed to get down most of the voice ver heard in the trailer. Here it is.

Jor-El asks “What if a child dreamed of beaming something other than what society had intended? What if a child dreamed of becoming something greater.”

An unknown woman says “My son was in the bus. He saw what Clark did” as we see footage of the school bus accident and Clark saving them.

A man say “People are afraid of what they don’t understand.” I think that was Jonathan Kent, and this next snippet definitely was. As Jonathan Kent unveils the craft that brought Kal-El to earth he says “It’s not from this world, Clark. And neither are you.”

A bearded Clark says “I have so many questions.” Clark meets his actual biological dad as an adult, which suggests that either Jor-El has survived, or when he appear to Clark in the fortress of solitude (or, I guess, wherever) he seems to be fully tangible.

Jo-El talks about the choice Clark has to make about who he’s going to be. Whoever [you'll be] Clark, good character or bad, it’s going to change the world.

Some shots showed Superman on fire. There’s a shot of him flying, catching somebody falling. We see him in cuffs, being led along by the military. He’s seen kissing Amy Adams as Lois Lane, while in his Clark guise, I believe.

We get to see Clark arrive at work at the Daily Planet, apparently just tucking something away in his bag, pulling out his glasses and slipping them on.

Snyder continued to deny the involvement of Zod in the film, to a comical extent even, but we see him in the trailer footage, just for a brief moment.

At the end of the trailer, Superman says of Jonathan Kent’s feelings on Superman:

He was convinced that the world wasn’t ready. What do you think?

Who is he asking? Lois? Kal-El? We’ll have to wait and see.

A shorter teaser trailer is to go wide later this week and play with The Dark Knight Rises. We’ll bring it to you here, of course.

#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. Ready to watch.

#3 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Why doesn't CV post this?

#4 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

Those supposedly leaked trailer descriptions were true!

#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake: you saw it?
#6 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: no,but I think a few months ago,They apparently leaked the description of the trailer they were going to show.In it it said Clark saves a his classmates.And according to this description,it happened too.Which means that the description was actually real.

#8 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake: See the link I posted.
#9 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

@CrimsonCake: See the link I posted.

oh,I didn't see that.

#10 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake: You will love it.
#11 Posted by MB25 (337 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: BOOM!

#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@MB25: The King is back.
#13 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: If you try to watch it on youtube it says warner bros. has taken it down.There catching them fast.

#14 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

i really want to see it

#15 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, I saw a very very low quality version of it, youtube already removed it. Couldn't see much. Some memorable scenes are; Superman holding on to a child while a disaster is going on.

There is a glimpse of Lois Lane with her hair tied up.

The music is great. From what I read about the description, I tried to have a mental image while looking at the blurred scenes. It was amazing.

The music isn't the original score. Its like a violin piece, very very emotional piece.

I remember a scene with what seems like Zod slamming Clark Kent.

Here are the breakdowns from Comingsoon.net

3:40
Silas Lesnick: MAN OF STEEL!

Silas Lesnick: The logo spins out, filling all the giant screens and changing from steel to the colored one we've seen

Silas Lesnick: Zack Snyder has taken the stage

3:41
Silas Lesnick: Shooting is completed and it's all in post-production

3:42
Silas Lesnick: He says that, in the past, Superman has been a big blue boy scout on throne.

Silas Lesnick: He wants to make it so he can beat the s--t out of people

Silas Lesnick: We're about to see footage and Zack is introing.

3:43
Silas Lesnick: "There's a little movie coming out next weekend," he says.

Silas Lesnick: The teaser will be on THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

ComingSoon.net: never heard of it.

3:44
Comment From destiny
whoever is posting on ComingSoon.net , i really like you man.

ComingSoon.net: Who says I'm a man?

ComingSoon.net: Okay, I am.

Comment From fb
You are a man. Man of Steel.

ComingSoon.net: Badabum!

3:46
Silas Lesnick: This looks VERY different from Superman films of the past

Silas Lesnick: We see flashes of Smallville. The farm house. Clark running in a red cape as a child.

Silas Lesnick: An older, bearded Clark walks a snowy road in an arctic town.

3:47
Silas Lesnick: We hear Russell Crowe's voice talking about children being inspired to greater things

3:47
Silas Lesnick: It sounds like it's cut with Kevin Costner's voice. Both fathers are giving Clark/Kal advice on how to become who he wants to be

3:48
Silas Lesnick: We see Clark being brought to the Kent barn and shown the spaceship that has been hidden there

Silas Lesnick: Clark holds a small piece of metal with the S logo on the end

Silas Lesnick: We're jumping back and forth through time periods

Silas Lesnick: Clark, as a teen, saved a bus of kids

3:49
Silas Lesnick: The bus crashed in the water and we see him swimming, pulling the door off.

Silas Lesnick: "People are afraid of what they don't understand," says Costner

Silas Lesnick: We see Clark talking to Jor-El. They're standing right in front of one another, but I think it's a holographic projection (though it looks live)

3:50
Silas Lesnick: We see Superman in the suit. First from a distance and then walking across a snowy plain

Silas Lesnick: There are flashing of Superman flying and one of him catching someone falling off a building

Silas Lesnick: A single flash of Amy Adams' Lois Lane

3:51
Silas Lesnick: One flash has Superman (in costume) -- seemingly in handcuffs -- being led down a hallway by a security force

3:51
Silas Lesnick: We see Clark (without seeing his face) stepping into an elevator and begin to lift glasses to his face

3:52
Silas Lesnick: There's a flash of Clark, shirtless, with his whole body on fire

Silas Lesnick: Another of him crashing into the bank vault we saw in the first still. It looks like he's been thrown.

Silas Lesnick: Henry Cavill has taken the stage!

Silas Lesnick: Snyder says it's a mix of a number of comic book storylines and not based on any single arc

3:53
Silas Lesnick: A man in a Superman hoodie is crying, he's so excited o be asking a question

3:54
Silas Lesnick: They're about to show the teaser again...

3:56
Comment From SupermanRules75
What kind of music does the trailer have?

3:58
Silas Lesnick: I'm not great at describing music, but it's decidedly more somber than Williams's score

Silas Lesnick: The whole look of it has a very dark, autumny feel to it all

Comment From Chris
Does it look Batman gritty?

Silas Lesnick: They're showing a teaser poster now that is a medium shot of Superman with the face in shadows and the logo prominent on his chest

3:59
Silas Lesnick: Gritty isn't the right world. It looks real, but not "dark"

Silas Lesnick: Two big shots that I didn't see before...

Silas Lesnick: Superman climbing out of a pile of straws

Silas Lesnick: sorry, skulls

4:00
Silas Lesnick: And the military turning their weapons on Superman

Silas Lesnick: There's a major discussion in the narration about the world turning against Superman because they don't trust him if he ever appears

Silas Lesnick: We also hear a woman's voice saying "My son saw what Clark did on that bus."

ComingSoon.net: Any villain shots?

4:01
Silas Lesnick: Apparently someone witnessed young Clark as a child saving the bus with his powers

Silas Lesnick: There's a flash of Zod, but literally so fast you just see his face

Silas Lesnick: Zack is talking about not using the Williams theme because he tried to imagine the film as if no one had ever done Superman before

4:02
Silas Lesnick: None of the trademark Snyder shots in the trailer. No slo-mo or shuttery frames

4:02
Silas Lesnick: Henry says he loved the Death of Superman arc

4:03
Silas Lesnick: in the comics, that is

4:03
Silas Lesnick: He also loves Red Son

4:04
Silas Lesnick: Someone asked if Henry's Superman could beat up Christian Bale's Batman

Silas Lesnick: Zack says, "I love Batman, but let's be serious."

ComingSoon.net: Gareth Edwards and Zack Snyder are trending on Twitter. Amazing.

Silas Lesnick: Someone is asking about how relatable General Zod is going to be.

4:05
Silas Lesnick: Zack is saying that everyone in the film will be, but he won't even confirm that Zod is the villain.

4:05
Silas Lesnick: "Whoever he is, he's going to be super-relatable."

4:07
Comment From Spence
Pic of the teaser poster! https://p.twimg.com/AxzLFyICEAMqw2a.jpg:large

4:08
Silas Lesnick: Someone is asking if a Superman/Batman or a JLA film will happen

4:08
Silas Lesnick: "Let's say this. We know that Superman is the jewel in the DC crown. What we're trying to do is to get his house in order and then we'll see what happens."

4:09
Silas Lesnick: They're going to be giving out the posters at a signing later today

4:10
Silas Lesnick: That's the end of the MAN OF STEEL panel!

4:11
ComingSoon.net: Hobbit time.

4:17
Comment From Alf
ComingSoon, you dudes are the best. I love you!

4:18
ComingSoon.net: We love you too :) Silas is watching footage, stay tuned...

4:18
Comment From Maya
THANK you Silas & ComingSoon ... you guys ROCK!!! Awesome job on commentary!

4:19
ComingSoon.net: You can leave a tip at the door. :)

4:20
ComingSoon.net: Wow, lots of awesome thank you's in the comments. It's no problem guys, we love bringing this stuff to you. We know many people in the world can't attend these events.
#16 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see it sounds awesome!!!!

#17 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/live-blogging-warners-man-of-steel-panel-with-zack-snyder-and-henry-cavill

Hardwick asked, "Are we going to see some footage?" Very coy. We'd heard that there will be not one but two different "Man Of Steel" trailers playing next weekend, depending on which version of "The Dark Knight Rises" you see, but even as Snyder confirmed that the trailer is about to land, he said, "I wanted to bring something a little extra for you as well."

I believe there is one in IMAX and one in regular theatres. No worries I bought tickets for both of 'em already.

#18 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Man of Steel would definitely steal the show next year.

#19 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

I think Man of Steel would definitely steal the show next year.

I agree i hear its coming out this year too... not sur e if it will come out later this year in 2012 or next year in 2013.

#20 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: june 2013.

#21 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@TERMINATOR1000: june 2013.

Thanks

Can't believe every link google has I guess, but some links said 2013.

Thanks

#22 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: was originally slated for dec 2012. But they wanted to either do more post production or dont want to compete with Hobbit. So they pushed back to june 2013

#23 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@TERMINATOR1000: was originally slated for dec 2012. But they wanted to either do more post production or dont want to compete with Hobbit. So they pushed back to june 2013

Ok Thaks for the info.

Suck we gotta wait almost another year for it to be released.

#24 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@TERMINATOR1000: have you seen the trailer?

#25 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: No

Never looked it up on youtube just google searches.

I'll have to look it up on youtube though.

#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

So... The trailer at SDCC and the trailer shown before TDKR are two entirely different things... The one before TDKR made me angry.

#27 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024:  
SAME HERE!!! I was disappoint.....
#28 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: why? was it cut very badly? or was it just very short. no spoilers.

#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Gambit1024: why? was it cut very badly? or was it just very short. no spoilers.

Both! For the majority of it, you couldn't even tell it was a Superman movie, and by the time you realize what it is (the very last few seconds), the trailer's over. I was pissed.

#30 Posted by Deranged Midget (17853 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@sethysquare said:

Both! For the majority of it, you couldn't even tell it was a Superman movie, and by the time you realize what it is (the very last few seconds), the trailer's over. I was pissed.

:(

#31 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yeah, most people didn't even get that it was Superman until a couple seconds after the trailer ended......there was a very delayed and scattered clap lol
#32 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the trailer is suppose to OFFICIALLY be released today.And I can't wait to see sethysquare be the first one to post it.

#33 Posted by SHAZAM117 (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to seeing this...Been hearing the footage they showed at Comic-Con was awesome, while it sounds like this trialer is "meh" from what I've been reading from peoples comments....Can't wait to see for myself

#34 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@buttersdaman000: I heard...Why not just use the Comic-Con trailer? That was awesome and epic?
#35 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yeah, most people didn't even get that it was Superman until a couple seconds after the trailer ended......there was a very delayed and scattered clap lol

@CrimsonCake: Sadly, I wont get to see the trailer until tomorrow.

#36 Posted by Deranged Midget (17853 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@sethysquare said:

Yeah, just saw the trailer. It was far too short to be a trailer perse, but a magnificent teaser. The music fit beyond perfectly and the shots were brilliantly chosen.

#37 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget:
#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17853 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: Dude, my jaw dropped and had the most massive case of goose-bumps EVER when I saw that in the theatre!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.