Follow

Man of Steel

Movie » Man of Steel released on June 14, 2013.

Reboot of the Superman movie franchise and the beginning of the DC Extended Universe, with Henry Cavill as the man of steel. Directed by Zack Snyder, of 300 and Watchmen fame. Written by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Laurence Fishburne is the New Perry White in Man of Steel

• 440 results
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Caligula said:
    @cascadeking09 said:

@Caligula: I'm sure you wouldn't be saying anything if  some unkown actor WHO IS WHITE, BUT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE PERRY had been cast as him. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the role is played right. If he's not the main character and his role isn't any bigger than it was in any of the other superman movies then why are you making this big a deal out of it? You act as if they only did it to have another black character in the movie and maybe you didn't realize the majorly popular character who isn't even portrayed as have any sort of hispanic background.

every single point you brought up in this response has already been brought up and shot down by me or others like a flaming rocket. earlier in the thread. and as to why I care about it. uhmm... let me think... because I f***ing read  Superman comics.
    It doesn't matter to me how long this charater has been around. This movie is about Superman not Perry White. If you think Lawrence Fishburne can play the role then there shouldn't be a problem. You respect his history and yet I don't hear you complaining about him not having  brown hair on the top of his head in SR or him saying "GREAT SHADES OF ELVIS!" and being obsessed with Elvis Presley and I don't think there is a single person who would've been so upset by it that they spent the entire time talking about it. There is no need to curse any of that because I disagree so calm down. 

@Dernman said:
    @cascadeking09: I cant speak for him but I would oh yes I would there is something very wrong with picking some who doesn't look like a character.

But it still happens ALOT, and I rarely ever hear any complaints until the race of a character is changed, even if the actor played that role dead on.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#202  Edited By Green Skin

Another one of these huh?  Honestly why bother, it's always the same arguments in these threads everytime a character changes race for a movie.  Who really cares.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#203  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:

@Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

@Caligula: I'm sure you wouldn't be saying anything if  some unkown actor WHO IS WHITE, BUT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE PERRY had been cast as him. There is nothing wrong with that as long as the role is played right. If he's not the main character and his role isn't any bigger than it was in any of the other superman movies then why are you making this big a deal out of it? You act as if they only did it to have another black character in the movie and maybe you didn't realize the majorly popular character who isn't even portrayed as have any sort of hispanic background.

every single point you brought up in this response has already been brought up and shot down by me or others like a flaming rocket. earlier in the thread. and as to why I care about it. uhmm... let me think... because I f***ing read  Superman comics.
    It doesn't matter to me how long this charater has been around. This movie is about Superman not Perry White. If you think Lawrence Fishburne can play the role then there shouldn't be a problem. You respect his history and yet I don't hear you complaining about him not having  brown hair on the top of his head in SR or him saying "GREAT SHADES OF ELVIS!" and being obsessed with Elvis Presley and I don't think there is a single person who would've been so upset by it that they spent the entire time talking about it. There is no need to curse any of that because I disagree so calm down. 

this thread isn't about the, sh*tty Superman Returns Perry White. if you want to make thread about that I'll gladly bash him there. I hated almost every inch of SR. so you can take that argument and shove it.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:

@Dernman

said:

@cascadeking09: I cant speak for him but I would oh yes I would there is something very wrong with picking some who doesn't look like a character.

But it still happens ALOT, and I rarely ever hear any complaints until the race of a character is changed, even if the actor played that role dead on.
    you are a liar. what about all the hate on Tom Hardy not looking like Bane (personally, I think Hardy is fine as Bane).

But Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan I hated that from the beginning and was very vocal about it. this argument is invalid sir.

Also I hated Evans as Cap from day one, even before I saw the film I called that crappy casting.

I'm actually not pissed on Larry being Perry because at all because least he can act like him. but He still doesn't fit the role in looks.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Caligula: Mhm, what about L&C. Better yet what about any character in any comicbook movie not being portrayd EXACTLY the same as they were in the comicbooks. There is always something different just like a character that goes from tv series to comicbook. Movies change things, this change wasn't for the sake of casting a black actor for a white role so. And you can drop the attitude.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:
    @Caligula: Mhm, what about L&C. Better yet what about any character in any comicbook movie not being portrayd EXACTLY the same as they were in the comicbooks. There is always something different just like a character that goes from tv series to comicbook. Movies change things, this change wasn't for the sake of casting a black actor for a white role so. And you can drop the attitude.
    you drop the dumb ass fail logic.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

@Dernman

said:

you are a liar. what about all the hate on Tom Hardy not looking like Bane (personally, I think Hardy is fine as Bane).  But Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan I hated that from the beginning and was very vocal about it. this argument is invalid sir.  Also I hated Evans as Cap from day one, even before I saw the film I called that crappy casting.   I'm actually not pissed on Larry being Perry because at all because least he can act like him. but He still doesn't fit the role in looks.
    Tom Hardy hasn't been seen playing Bane for one thing. And for another thing we don't know his race was changed, and there were still complaints about Tom Hardy not being Spanish, there were and it was on this site. Bane in comicbooks doesn't appear to be anything other than white, but we know he's Spanish. As I said I rarley hear complaints unless race is changed.

And Ryan Reynolds actually looks like Hal IMO and didn't stray too far from how the character has been portrayed.

Evans has that look too. He even has blonde hair and blue eyes and any complaints wouldn't have been "His hair isn't blonde enough" they would've been about the type of roles they played in the passed. And Evans did a great job as Captain America IMO.

Neither do hardly any actors that play any comic book roles.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#208  Edited By dernman  Online
    @cascadeking09: I'm saying to me it doesn't matter if the character is big or small. I do not believe Superman's race/color is more important then Perry's because you think one character is more important then the other. A character description  that is included is a character's description that's it    That's the way it should be.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Dernman: And I agree with that actually, but if the change was small like this one and they didn't race bend just because they wanted to get the attention of a particular race then I can get passed it. I wouldn't even feel the need to openly express my dislike for something as small as that. It happens all the time. We've had plenty of movies and shows with Perry White in it so is it that big a deal that one great actor to play him next just so happens to be black?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:
    Tom Hardy hasn't been seen playing Bane for one thing.
    yes he has. and most of the complaints are about his size not his ethnicity.

@cascadeking09 said:
      And Ryan Reynolds actually looks like Hal IMO and didn't stray too far from how the character has been portrayed.
    you've never read a GL book with Hal have you?

@cascadeking09 said:
      Evans has that look too. He even has blonde hair and blue eyes and any complaints wouldn't have been "His hair isn't blonde enough"
    #1. he looks too damn young and inexperienced, he does not have the look of a war hero.
    #2. you don't read much Cap I take it?

from a lot of your statements throughout this thread. I'm beginning to think you aren't really a comic fan, and only know what you know through movies.
    Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#211  Edited By Kato

It wouldn't have been an issue if we hadn't mentioned it in the article...

Obviously, some characters are defined by their race. Black Panther, Luke Cage and Static Shock are all strong Black characters who would probably lose an essential part of their personality and character if they were portrayed by non-Black actors. But Perry White? Perry White has no connection to being White. It has nothing to do with his initial identity, his premise, his character. Neither does Superman, or Spider-Man, or The Batman, for that matter.

I think that the discussion about the new Spider-Man has been ridiculous, and I think that this discussion is ridiculous. When I saw the picture of the new Spider-Man and saw that he was not White, I didn't say "Wow, I'm really disappointed." I didn't say "Wow, that's interesting." I didn't say "Spider-Man is White!" I said, "I'm wondering very much how this character has come into this role and if it will be a good direction for the Spider-Man book." No racially-aware diatribe popped into my head, just a yearning to read the new book. Isn't that how it should be?

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Kato

@RedheadedAtrocitus: Yeah, but Nick Fury was modeled after Samuel L. Jackson (Ultimate Nick Fury that is, who the Marvel movies are supposed to portray more than any other specific source).

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Caligula
    @Kato said:

Obviously, some characters are defined by their race. Black Panther, Luke Cage and Static Shock are all strong Black characters who would probably lose an essential part of their personality and character if they were portrayed by non-Black actors. But Perry White? Perry White has no connection to being White. It has nothing to do with his initial identity, his premise, his character. Neither does Superman, or Spider-Man, or The Batman, for that matter.

I think that the discussion about the new Spider-Man has been ridiculous, and I think that this discussion is ridiculous. When I saw the picture of the new Spider-Man and saw that he was not White, I didn't say "Wow, I'm really disappointed." I didn't say "Wow, that's interesting." I didn't say "Spider-Man is White!" I said, "I'm wondering very much how this character has come into this role and if it will be a good direction for the Spider-Man book." No racially-aware diatribe popped into my head, just a yearning to read the new book. Isn't that how it should be?

the new Spider-Man is new character taking up the mantle. They aren't turning Peter Black. And the New USM looks amazing. 
    Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Kato

@Caligula: yes, it would be perfectly fine if Iron Man or Superman (or Wonder Woman) were to be portrayed by a Black or otherwise non-White actor. Why don't you think that it would be?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By dernman  Online
    @cascadeking09: The look of a character is not a small thing. The shade of a character is just as important as if he had a mole or not. Hair like Norman Osborn If he was fat or not. I wouldn't be ok with making Kingpin a skinny dude.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Caligula
    @Kato said:

@Caligula: yes, it would be perfectly fine if Iron Man or Superman (or Wonder Woman) were to be portrayed by a Black or otherwise non-White actor. Why don't you think that it would be?

for the same reason I think Perry White should be White. because that's what the character is.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

No he hasn't, what clip of the movie have you seen of Bane? And bane before pumping venom is about 6'0 Tom Hardy is 5'10 not that big of a height difference. Henry Cavill is 6'1 Superman is 6'3 haven't heard any complaints about that. 

Yes I have and I have vol 2, 4, and 5 saved on my computer.

#1he looks too damn young and inexperienced, he does not have the look of a war hero.

1. I'm pretty sure Cap in the movie was supposed to be young and inexperienced. 
    2. So you're questioning my knowledge every time I disagree with you? I'm no expert and dont have giant stacks of Captain America books, but I've read a good bit.

from a lot of your statements throughout this thread. I'm beginning to think you aren't really a comic fan, and only know what you know through movies.

And from the way you address me I'm starting to think you have more respect for comicbooks than people. I wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't a comic fan and I surely wouldn't have stayed for 2 years commenting on the comicbooks I've read or even be having this conversation with you.
    @Kato said:

I like your post, but I could've sworn that the new actor playing Spider-man was white.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:
    @Caligula said:
    @cascadeking09 said:
    No he hasn't, what clip of the movie have you seen of Bane? And bane before pumping venom is about 6'0 Tom Hardy is 5'10 not that big of a height difference. is 6'1 Superman is 6'3 haven't heard any complaints about that. 

Yes I have and I have vol 2, 4, and 5 saved on my computer.

#1he looks too damn young and inexperienced, he does not have the look of a war hero.

1. I'm pretty sure Cap in the movie was supposed to be young and inexperienced. 
    2. So you're questioning my knowledge every time I disagree with you? I'm no expert and dont have giant stacks of Captain America books, but I've read a good bit.

And from the way you address me I'm starting to think you have more respect for comicbooks than people. I wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't a comic fan and I surely wouldn't have stayed for 2 years commenting on the comicbooks I've read or even be having this conversation with you.
    No I respect people just the same. if a movie was made about Sylvester Stallone, and Danny Devito was in it to. but he was portrayed by Gary Coleman I'd think it was stupid.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Caligula: I don't understand that sentence.

Sylvester Stallone is another example. He played Rocky, Rocky was based on two people who look nothing alike Chuck Wepner and Joe Frazier. Stallone doesn't look a thing like either of them.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:
    Movie about Stallone's life.

Main Character Stallone played by Some dude who looks and acts like Stallone. (cool)
    Background character Devito played by Coleman. (stupid)
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Dernman said:
    @cascadeking09: The look of a character is not a small thing. The shade of a character is just as important as if he had a mole or not. Hair like Norman Osborn If he was fat or not. I wouldn't be ok with making Kingpin a skinny dude.
    That's pretty much what I'm saying, but I think playing the role well is more important and effects the movie a lot more than the look of the actor. A lot of actors and actresses look nothing like the characters they portray.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By dernman  Online
    @cascadeking09: When Icon was at Milstone he was basically a black Superman. That didn't make him Superman.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By dernman  Online
    @cascadeking09: Whether it more important or not doesn't mean you have to throw it out the window. Your telling me out of all the actors out there they couldn't find a good actor that fits the basic description. Just because something happens a lot doesn't make it a good idea.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Caligula said:
    @cascadeking09 said:
    Movie about Stallone's life.  Main Character Stallone played by Some dude who looks and acts like Stallone. (cool)Background character Devito played by Coleman. (stupid)
    So a background character who is short played by an actor who is short(stupid). Got it.
    @Dernman said:
    @cascadeking09: When Icon was at Milstone he was basically a black Superman. That didn't make him Superman.
    Didn't say it did, but there are also aspects of his personality that are different from Superman.
    @Dernman said:
    @cascadeking09: Whether it more important or not doesn't mean you have to throw it out the window. Your telling me out of all the actors out there they couldn't find a good actor that fits the basic description. Just because something happens a lot doesn't make it a good idea.
    Sometimes that's the only choice. Casting Fishburne doesn't mean they threw out any white actor who could play them because they were too much like him, maybe there was no one else that fit the criteria that also looked like him. I also never said it made it a good idea, but that's no reason for people get upset and protest over things that they should expect to happen. (I'm not talking about races at the moment) people rarely ever look just like the character they portray and once you find someone who looks just like the character they may not have any acting talent at all. Casting an actor because they look like a character and can't act isn't a good idea either.
    Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#225  Edited By Omega-Man

Ugh I hated Thor...Balder  was Worse being played by a black guy, it makes no sense for a norse god who comes from the norway region of the world to be black.

The whole Nick Fury thing well alot of Marvel movies are going with Ultimate aspects of characters take alook at the new Spiderman movie.

I think that this is stupid why do THAT? It's like if they made Batman and had Alfred Black or Asian. Or Made JJ from Spiderman asian or Black.

I'm not racist or anything but THIS is retarded, you don't see black or asian characters becoming white.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

In case I'm not being clear enough changing a character's race is WRONG if the change is only to add another character of a certain race, but there isn't anything wrong with casting the right actor for the right role. Perry's character doesn't revolve around being a caucasian american. His role is editor and chief of the daily planet, he's not even the most important character in the movie so I don't see any reason for his race being brought up at all.

what's wrong with wanting a character to resemble the comic version?

Aprently its racist.Well in some lefty fascism forced diversity way .Funny forced diversity causes problems .If people just let things be we would have diversity naturaly.But nooo some people know better!They have to look down on us an feel sorry for us poor unenlightended folk . 

But i digress your kicking illogical but imho.Your not the only one who sees comics as a source material should be respected Or who has a love of comic history.Shame Warner Brothers never has had that :/ 

Keep up the good fight.
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By KainScion

superman, will you take the blue pill or the red pill? ............................ i'll take them both cuz I'M SUPERMAN B!EATCH!!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By dernman  Online
    @cascadeking09: Yea just like there were some differences with Rocky.

With all the actors out there established/not established there is no way they  such a change was was forced because they couldn't find a good actor. Especially with a character like perry who isn't very image detailed. What do you have to look for. Old white guy. Doesn't seem to hard to me.  Although acting is important it doesn't mean you throw description out the window. Which they have done with casting who they did. You need to balance the acting with the look and you don't get that here. They are both important and they don't  like making such a huge change they are is just taking a piss. Which is very good reason for a fan to get upset.. If you don't have the ability to do something then do something else.
    cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By cdeoleo
    @Caligula@Dernman: You do not want diversity you make it clear by being opposed to this, minor change, Perry White being white is is not central to the role in Superman story. Again Perry White is not a pivotal character but you guys are up in arms. You hide behind the idea that movies should be exactly like comics when we all know this wont be the case. In reality what bothers you is he was white and now he is black, even if that does not change his role in the slightest, unless you think that a black man cannot be an editor in chief at a major Newspaper.  

The fact that so many people are up in arms about this will then cause studios to be hesitant to hire the best actor available for a role, because they see that you just want the guy who looks most like the character. With this logic Triple H should have been Thor.  Also continuing this logic 90% of super hero movies will feature characters who are white to reflect comics. How do you think this makes anyone who is not a white straight male feel? It excludes us and dammit we are part of this community too! Why does this bother you so much?
    kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By kimeraevet
    @Omega-Man : You obviously missed the train wreck that was Dragonball. Or the early Hollywood movies were every black character was played by a white man in black face. Roles for films get changed all the time. So Perry White is black. Big deal. Make Lois Lane into Sofia Vergara and I will watch it just for that reason alone. Black actors playing established white characters seems weird. It does. Really though, so long as that person captures the essence of the character I could care less.  

Laurence Fishburne is Perry White and it says a lot about how good of an actor they wanted for Perry. U. Spider-Man is black/latino and is a COMPLETELY different person, not Peter Parker, very good move. Now if only Wonder Woman could get cast as a Eastern Mediterranean woman of Aegean descent.
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @cdeoleo said:

As I keep reading this conversation it just make me more and more sad. Come guys I really thought we were past this, guess I was being naive.  Unless the fans are okay with comics wont ever be diverse, it is apparent from yesterday and today that most fans are not okay with Diversity.

Seriously we wount have diversity an fans arent ok with diversity you say? Lets try this the whole forced diveristy , pandering bs then i hope your right but we have diveristy in comics. 

rember http://www.comicvine.com/night-thrasher/29-2098/  an the New Warriors? no? how about  http://www.comicvine.com/patriot/29-2258/ an http://www.comicvine.com/young-avengers/65-40426/ ? 

wait you missed when http://www.comicvine.com/storm/29-1444/ lead the xmen? 

http://www.comicvine.com/shadowhawk/29-5195/  oh wait did you just mean at dc? 

http://www.comicvine.com/mr-terrific/29-19179/ pre newdcu crisis of infinate zero thngy.. 
    http://www.comicvine.com/justice-society-of-america/49-18052/ was pretty diverse 
    http://www.comicvine.com/batwoman/29-9052/ 
    http://www.comicvine.com/renee-montoya/29-3716/ 
    http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/65-19081/ 
     an im not even trying hard. 

Even the people who run this site is rather diverse./shrug maybe um look around a bit?Just a thought..
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Caligula
    @cdeoleo said:
    @Caligula@Dernman: You do not want diversity you make it clear by being opposed to this, minor change, Perry White being white is is not central to the role in Superman story. Again Perry White is not a pivotal character but you guys are up in arms. You hide behind the idea that movies should be exactly like comics when we all know this wont be the case. In reality what bothers you is he was white and now he is black, even if that does not change his role in the slightest, unless you think that a black man cannot be an editor in chief at a major Newspaper.   The fact that so many people are up in arms about this will then cause studios to be hesitant to hire the best actor available for a role, because they see that you just want the guy who looks most like the character. With this logic Triple H should have been Thor.  Also continuing this logic 90% of super hero movies will feature characters who are white to reflect comics. How do you think this makes anyone who is not a white straight male feel? It excludes us and dammit we are part of this community too! Why does this bother you so much?
    I want diversity. but not to change a characters history whats so hard to comprehend?

Add new characters. Or make him John Henry Irons.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Dernman said:

@cascadeking09: Yea just like there were some differences with Rocky.  With all the actors out there established/not established there is no way they  such a change was was forced because they couldn't find a good actor. Especially with a character like perry who isn't very image detailed. What do you have to look for. Old white guy. Doesn't seem to hard to me.  Although acting is important it doesn't mean you throw description out the window. Which they have done with casting who they did. You need to balance the acting with the look and you don't get that here. They are both important and they don't  like making such a huge change they are is just taking a piss. Which is very good reason for a fan to get upset.. If you don't have the ability to do something then do something else.

What is juck like there were differences with Rocky?

Yes there is, they're looking for a certain thing when casting an actor for their movie. They could've been looking for a name that's big enough to draw attention, can play the role how it is written and do it well, and a few other things. We don't know what they were looking for so say it's impossible to find an older actor that has to also look exactly right is just silly. Old white guy could be anybody, but I wouldn't cast just any old white actor either. Again I'm not saying that they should throw the description out the window but if the only part of the description that really matters is "WHITE." then that may make it more difficult than it has to be. The character also has a certain height range and size and all that, then theres the age range for Perry that they might be aiming for. I honestly think you might be saying that just because he isn't white.
    Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Justize

I saw this posted on other sites yesterday and I knew it would be just as controversial as the Ultimate Spider-Man thing. Ah, it's nice to see the racism of other fanboys (Sarcasm). Also, just because you say "I'M NOT WHITE..." or "I'M NOT RACIST BUT..." doesn't make you're argument any more valid.

Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Justize

Over ten pages of arguing about this???? WHAT THE--??

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Marshal Victory said:
    @Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

In case I'm not being clear enough changing a character's race is WRONG if the change is only to add another character of a certain race, but there isn't anything wrong with casting the right actor for the right role. Perry's character doesn't revolve around being a caucasian american. His role is editor and chief of the daily planet, he's not even the most important character in the movie so I don't see any reason for his race being brought up at all.

Aprently its racist.Well in some lefty fascism forced diversity way .Funny forced diversity causes problems .If people just let things be we would have diversity naturaly.But nooo some people know better!They have to look down on us an feel sorry for us poor unenlightended folk .  But i digress your kicking illogical but imho.Your not the only one who sees comics as a source material should be respected Or who has a love of comic history.Shame Warner Brothers never has had that :/  Keep up the good fight.
    Mind pointing out where in my post that I said it was racist to not want Perry White or any character that isn't african american to be played by one? I never said that.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Caligula
    @Justize said:
    I saw this posted on other sites yesterday and I knew it would be just as controversial as the Ultimate Spider-Man thing. Ah, it's nice to see the racism of other fanboys (Sarcasm). Also, just because you say "I'M NOT WHITE..." or "I'M NOT RACIST BUT..." doesn't make you're argument any more valid.
    and just because you accuse someone of being Racist doesn't make your argument any more valid.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#238  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I'm never going to understand race changes in comic adaptation movies.They could have gotten a white man to play this part no problem.If we're going to do the whole "affirmative action\filling the quota of minority characters" thing then how about putting characters in the movie that are ACTUALLY black instead of making a race change?

Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Godot

@Marshal Victory said:

@cdeoleo said:
    As I keep reading this conversation it just make me more and more sad. Come guys I really thought we were past this, guess I was being naive. Unless the fans are okay with comics wont ever be diverse, it is apparent from yesterday and today that most fans are not okay with Diversity.
    Seriously we wount have diversity an fans arent ok with diversity you say? Lets try this the whole forced diveristy , pandering bs then i hope your right but we have diveristy in comics.

rember http://www.comicvine.com/night-thrasher/29-2098/ an the New Warriors? no? how about http://www.comicvine.com/patriot/29-2258/ an http://www.comicvine.com/young-avengers/65-40426/ ?

wait you missed when http://www.comicvine.com/storm/29-1444/ lead the xmen?

http://www.comicvine.com/shadowhawk/29-5195/ oh wait did you just mean at dc?

http://www.comicvine.com/mr-terrific/29-19179/ pre newdcu crisis of infinate zero thngy..
    http://www.comicvine.com/justice-society-of-america/49-18052/ was pretty diverse
    http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/65-19081/ an im not even trying hard. Even the people who run this site is rather diverse./shrug maybe um look around a bit?Just a thought..

10-20 examples out of 59,006 characters in the database. How many more do you reckon there are? (excluding the ten or so ducks there seem to be).

EDIT: Not meant to be standoffish, I'm genuinely curious.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Caligula
    @Vance Astro said:

I'm never going to understand race changes in comic adaptation movies.They could have gotten a white man to play this part no problem.If we're going to do the whole "affirmative action\filling the quota of minority characters" thing then how about putting characters in the movie that are ACTUALLY black instead of making a race change?

thank you Vance.

seriously John Henry Irons is important to Superman lore. yet instead of casting Fishburne in that role. They made him Perry White. and personally If I was Larry I'd rather be JHI.
    Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Justize
    @Caligula: Hey, ass, I wasn't referring to you!
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Caligula
    @Justize said:
    @Caligula: Hey, ass, I wasn't referring to you!
    I'm aware. I just felt half of your statement was missing, (I wasn't directing it at you)
    BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By BransonHuggins

Let me ask all of you a question.  If I walk up to a white man/women/child/etc and I stab them in the fucking face with a fork what happens?  They bleed, and probably get pretty pissed off.  What color is that blood?  Red.  Now if I walk up to a black/asian/mexican/spanish/italian/you get the point man/women/child/etc and stab THEM in the face with the same fork what happens?  Guess what, THEY FUCKING BLEED TOO.  Guess what people, it is a NON ISSUE.  Just because they have a darker or different skin tone then what the character has been for years it shouldn't matter.  ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE that get's pissed about this, can claim it's not racism, and they probably believe it to, but it is at the end of the day.  Sorry, but it's true.  Who gives a shit, he's a good actor.  so what the fuck is the point of being all pissed about it.  Did it take away from the Matrix that he was black?  No.  It took away from it because it sucked, but that wasn't due to his skin color.  Grow up, this is a waste of time and effort to spend this much time pissed about something like this.  Fucking a.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Vance Astro: It's been said. With that being said and resaid I'm taking one HUGE step back from this thread turning around and walking away. Soon as I saw the race thing being brought up my first thought was.

But I made the mistake of posting first. 
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By dernman  Online
    @cdeoleo:  Here is the ignorance of someone who can't see past the wall of racial witch hunting.
    Never once have have i said anything that even hinted that I don't want diversity. I never said they couldn't add divers characters not once I even suggested it several  times DId you actualy read anything I wrote. Or was your mind already made up before you posted because I didn't agree with the decision. Nothing was ever said let alone suggested that a black man couldn't be an editor and chief. Not wanting them to change a character doesn't equal not wanting more new diverse characters   I say 2 + 2 = 4 but your saying i say 5 The thought that they wouldn't hire someone non white because we want them to stick the descriptions is the hight of ignorance and stupidity.

I put just as much importance about not changing a non white character. There is something seriously wrong with you the way throw these unfounded accusations around with no basis in what i wrote here today. You don't know me you didn't bother to even read what was written. So what makes you think your attack isn't in anyway prejudiced against us.

Tell me how is adding a character instead of changing a character in anyway excluding you. Go ahead tell me.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Caligula
    @cascadeking09 said:
    @Vance Astro: It's been said. With that being said and resaid I'm taking one HUGE step back from this thread turning around and walking away. Soon as I saw the race thing being brought up my first thought was.

But I made the mistake of posting first. 
    no. you should stand by what you think. you did the right thing by voicing your opinion (although I disagree with it). I do agree you should speak up, don't run away from a topic. you made the right move by posting what you believe.
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @cascadeking09 said:

@Marshal Victory said:

@Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

Aprently its racist.Well in some lefty fascism forced diversity way .Funny forced diversity causes problems .If people just let things be we would have diversity naturaly.But nooo some people know better!They have to look down on us an feel sorry for us poor unenlightended folk .  But i digress your kicking illogical but imho.Your not the only one who sees comics as a source material should be respected Or who has a love of comic history.Shame Warner Brothers never has had that :/  Keep up the good fight.

Mind pointing out where in my post that I said it was racist to not want Perry White or any character that isn't african american to be played by one? I never said that.

Well you didnt in so many words.But others are saying that for any one who would like the source material to be used.Answer Caligula question tho whats wrong with wanting a chracter to resemble the comic version?Why is that so bad?Why is it you or others get to pick an chose if its improtant to a characters back ground what race they are? 

I mean you would have no problem with daredevil played by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaleel_White long as you kept him blind tho right? Race wouldnt matter right? Heck  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_O%27Donnell but blind.That would be fine for you? I'd like to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_C._Hall . But whatever floats yoru boat :)
    cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By cdeoleo
    @Marshal Victory said:
    @cdeoleo said:

As I keep reading this conversation it just make me more and more sad. Come guys I really thought we were past this, guess I was being naive.  Unless the fans are okay with comics wont ever be diverse, it is apparent from yesterday and today that most fans are not okay with Diversity.

rember http://www.comicvine.com/night-thrasher/29-2098/  an the New Warriors? no? how about  http://www.comicvine.com/patriot/29-2258/ an http://www.comicvine.com/young-avengers/65-40426/ ? 

wait you missed when http://www.comicvine.com/storm/29-1444/ lead the xmen? 

http://www.comicvine.com/shadowhawk/29-5195/  oh wait did you just mean at dc? 

http://www.comicvine.com/mr-terrific/29-19179/ pre newdcu crisis of infinate zero thngy.. 
    http://www.comicvine.com/justice-society-of-america/49-18052/ was pretty diverse 
    http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/65-19081/  an im not even trying hard.  Even the people who run this site is rather diverse./shrug maybe um look around a bit?Just a thought..
    Great examples man. I honestly I was not aware that any of this happened, what would I do without you! 

No but seriously, how is casting Lawrence Fishburne (a completely solid actor) as perry white forced diversity/pandering and not just choosing an actor based on acting chops? 

Even you described being against this decision as "the good fight", which is worrying to say the least.
    Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Justize
    @Caligula: Well, it didn't need to be finished. It was fine the way it was, ass!
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By dernman  Online
    @kimeraevet:  I din't miss anything and i stated severeral times it was wrong whats wrong with you. Did you even read any of what was written. There is no problem with the new spiderman. They didnt change spiderman Peter Parker was still the ultimate spiderman. If they changed peter parker  it would be different but they didnt. This an entirly ne character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.