David Goyer: 'Man of Steel' Won't Necessarily Be "Darker"

• 87 results
#51 Posted by darth_jones (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31 said:

Never been much of a Superman fan, but hopefully this one is well done and gets me into the character!

You should read All Star Superman or Superman Secret Origin! They're Superman stories!

#52 Posted by Toastalchemist (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe DC should give movies a rest. They should focus on some other medium like TV or video games.

#53 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to hear. I would love a grounded Superman as long as he isn't dark.

#54 Posted by mattwing87 (438 posts) - - Show Bio

I still dont see it being any good

#55 Posted by wiley1josh (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is not supposed to be a dark gritty character. Superman is supposed to be about the light & all that is good. There are already plenty of dark & gritty characters in comics, movies, & t.v. If you make superman dark & gritty then he will be just like these other characters. I do not want to see a dark Superman. I like Superman the way he is supposed to be, as a positive big boy scout, who smiles & saves the day!!!

#56 Posted by SandMan_ (4581 posts) - - Show Bio

Mature doesn't mean dark. He'll still be awesome.

#57 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

Either way I bet it's going be epic

#58 Posted by MuyJingo (2724 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious to see the movie, but at the same time it is a reminder of the missed boat of a DC cinematic universe, which would have been so very, very awesome.

#59 Posted by DarkShadows (752 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I'm glad that it won't be dark but even if it is, this movie still looks interesting.

Looking forward to it.

#60 Posted by caesarsghost (578 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie has everything going for it so far. Great creative team, cast, concept and direction. Looking forward to it!!!!!

#61 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5485 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great to me.

#62 Posted by .Longshot. (5303 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank. GOD.

Superman is meant as a beacon of light in a dismal world. If you pull him into the dark and make him gritty just to add some mass appeal, you're taking away a massive piece of the character. Being dark in a dark world works for Batman, because it allows him to walk among the shadows. It ruins Superman, because he's supposed to inspire us to rise above the shadows.

I think Batman is more appealing because of his versatility. The character can remain approachable and virtually unchanged in any setting. Superman has a tougher time with mass appeal, because he isn't as versatile, at least not in the same sense. A creator has to be very careful in their approach, or else it'll end up as just another bland Superman story (but this time, we'll have him, like, LIFT a whole Kryptonite island!). It's a given that some people are just NOT going to like Superman. Making him darker and giving him a mullet won't fix that (they've tried). But that's actually one of the reasons I love the character, demonstrated both in comics and in the real world; his integrity.

#63 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

"Grounded in reality"

Does that mean we'll get another Superman movie where his powers are used solely for moving really fast and lifting really heavy things?

I was kinda hoping the most powerful superhero ever would finally be having an actual superhero fight with Brainiac or something.

#64 Posted by DoctorTrips (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

"Yeah lets make this movie realistic..... okay now when the sun god flies in super fast shooting fire from his eyes and ice from his mouth I want the background to be a gritty city"

Nolan did not help super hero movies :/

Nope, he helped vigilante movies.

#65 Posted by CODYSF (2175 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is I'm loving the direction there going with the movie ^_^

#66 Posted by sentryman555 (852 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCowman said:

"Grounded in reality"

Does that mean we'll get another Superman movie where his powers are used solely for moving really fast and lifting really heavy things?

I was kinda hoping the most powerful superhero ever would finally be having an actual superhero fight with Brainiac or something.

The villain of the movie is Zod. How can there be no superhero fight?

#67 Posted by viin (853 posts) - - Show Bio

I have high hopes for this movie but if this movie flops then there is no way to make a great Superman movie.

#68 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9848 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself:If it is to say nonsense,doesn't say anything. Batman's trilogy is a critical success, box office....

Warner doing what Marvel says do with his comics,being relatable and Dc does with his comics,many years ago and no one pays attention. Marvel movies is just blockbuster,films are much more than action scenes and some circus jokes, films must have a story to tell, something that makes us identify,something that makes us reflect,make the characters take themselves seriously,does not make them a bunch of selfish and petty characters. Anyone can make a movie where a character beats and humiliates the other,put great special effects, but it will never change the fact that the film has nothing to tell, nothing that we can reflect

@Lvenger: Agreed

#69 Posted by Metron144 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

After the utter garbage that was TDKR, I'm a little bit worried about this film. Marvel is doing super hero movies right in that they're not trying to be make it real world in a boring way. Marvel is approaching it like its set in the real world, only more fantastic. I just hope superman is really exciting and well done. I hope it's not one of those things where you almost barely see him doing the superman thing,

#70 Posted by ssejllenrad (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

Not dark? Good!

#71 Posted by Doctorchimp (63 posts) - - Show Bio

@kennyshat said:

I'm still excited for this movie. I think that the "naturalistic" approach that Goyer it talking about has less to do with Superman himself (though the movie definitely seems like it's going to be playing with Clark being unsure whether he wants to be Superman and have that level of responsibility placed on his shoulders, something that anyone would feel when holding the power Superman holds), but with how the world around him would react to his presence. That's the interesting thing (and the important thing) about Superman to me, the way he effects those around him. He's this living, breathing ideal. Seeing something that altruistic and perfect made flesh (especially in today's much more jaded society) would have a profound impact on the world. If seeing that is what Goyer is talking about, it has me very excited.

The trailer for this movie already had me looking forward to it. Pa Kent telling Clark that, good man or bad he would change the world and Jor-El telling him that, in time he would help humanity accomplish wonders makes me think that they're nailing the most important aspect of Superman as a concept (to me). The added fact that Snyder is directing and it seems that he'll have plenty of enemies at his power level to punch (in Zod and what's-her-face), the action set pieces should be thrilling as well.

You just wrote exactly what I was gonna post.

How do you make a Superman movie feel more rooted in reality without changing the character? You make the world he's in real.

Have people freak out and be totally unsure and unfaithful in the god who's flying around. That's probably the exact reason they picked Zod so that way people doubt Superman even more. I was kind of hoping for a Darkseid movie, but hopefully we'll get it soon enough.

#72 Posted by ARMIV2 (9151 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistic, but not too dark. Alright, I'm down with that.

Just don't make it suck.

#73 Posted by sethysquare (3964 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of steel is in good hands.

#74 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1288 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metron144 said:

After the utter garbage that was TDKR, I'm a little bit worried about this film. Marvel is doing super hero movies right in that they're not trying to be make it real world in a boring way. Marvel is approaching it like its set in the real world, only more fantastic. I just hope superman is really exciting and well done. I hope it's not one of those things where you almost barely see him doing the superman thing,

What movie were you watching? TDKR was incredible. It was 10X better than Avengers because it actually had a, you know, plot and wasn't just a "lets hit the bad guy" scenario. It pains me to say that the lead-in movies to Avengers (i.e. Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, and Thor at least) were so much better than Avengers itself. And they only used the realistic with Batman because it fits with that specific character and because its Nolan's basic approach to his movies. Its not DC's movie-making approach in general. Green Lantern (as bad as it was) was very sci-fi and fantastical. Superman will probably be more sci-fi than Nolan's Batman, but will still have somewhat of a grounded aspect, which is just fine by me.
#75 Posted by Eyz (3184 posts) - - Show Bio

A good Superman story shouldn't focus on making things "real" or "believable". You can, but it shouldn't be the focus. Nor the opposite making things imaginary where "distant planets explode", "babies sent from rockets to distant worlds" and guys fighting in red underwear.

No it should be about hope.

And fun, and adventure.

#76 Posted by ComicMan24 (147395 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

I like the fact that they don't make this movie nor Superman too dark. It's just not who Superman is, he's not Batman with superpowers. =)

This.

Also I hope they are going to make this movie fun to watch. This have been my biggest complaint with Superman movies so far. They are not really that fun to watch. They make them too heavy (if that makes sense).

#77 Posted by fodigg (6209 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, they need to embrace the colorful, cartoonish qualities of Superman. The blueprint for Superman done right should be All Star Superman, where everything is a colorful, modern spin on Golden Age wackiness.

#78 Posted by kennybaese (1202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Doctorchimp said:

@kennyshat said:

I'm still excited for this movie. I think that the "naturalistic" approach that Goyer it talking about has less to do with Superman himself (though the movie definitely seems like it's going to be playing with Clark being unsure whether he wants to be Superman and have that level of responsibility placed on his shoulders, something that anyone would feel when holding the power Superman holds), but with how the world around him would react to his presence. That's the interesting thing (and the important thing) about Superman to me, the way he effects those around him. He's this living, breathing ideal. Seeing something that altruistic and perfect made flesh (especially in today's much more jaded society) would have a profound impact on the world. If seeing that is what Goyer is talking about, it has me very excited.

The trailer for this movie already had me looking forward to it. Pa Kent telling Clark that, good man or bad he would change the world and Jor-El telling him that, in time he would help humanity accomplish wonders makes me think that they're nailing the most important aspect of Superman as a concept (to me). The added fact that Snyder is directing and it seems that he'll have plenty of enemies at his power level to punch (in Zod and what's-her-face), the action set pieces should be thrilling as well.

You just wrote exactly what I was gonna post.

How do you make a Superman movie feel more rooted in reality without changing the character? You make the world he's in real.

Have people freak out and be totally unsure and unfaithful in the god who's flying around. That's probably the exact reason they picked Zod so that way people doubt Superman even more. I was kind of hoping for a Darkseid movie, but hopefully we'll get it soon enough.

I think that Darkseid would be a bit much. Provided this movie does well (Warner really needs it to do well), I could maybe see some form of Darkseid showing up in, say, a third movie. I'm guessing that a second movie would be Luthor (with hints at him in the first. His distrust of Superman solidifying because of what he views as a Kyptonian invasion of Earth with the Zod attacks).

#79 Posted by LeaderVladimir (188 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that Superman needs a more realistic approach, but when has Superman been campy and cartoonish? Besides, given the director and the producer of the movie, we already know this will be a great movie.

#80 Posted by MrArrogant (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad they're not going for a "dark" depiction of Superman; he's a hero through and through, he shouldn't be a lonely and angsty like he was in earth one, he should inspire people and give them something to look up to. Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman is the perfect version of the character, he sees the good in everyone, even Lex Luthor, and will never gave up on anyone, he is a true champion. In this cynical and pessimistic world he is the sort of hero people need, and I'm confident the team behind the movie can make his classic qualities feel relevant without having to resort to a dark almost anti-hero approach like Batman.

#81 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (901 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to it. hopefully if Christopher Nolan, David Goyer, and Zack Snyder are on it, they'll be able to do what the others couldn't. I just wish his suit had a red belt to break up all the blue. That's my only problem I've seen so far

#82 Posted by ThomasElliot (371 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand at all why everyone just wants to assume "Nolan made Batman dark, so because he's producing Superman, Superman must be dark too". Yes, I am talking to all of you and YES its a silly expectation. Most of you sitting there going ,"oh thank GAWWWD" while all I can think is "No sh*t you geniuses".

For the most part I like Goyer and most of his works... but everyone always seems to forget he wrote and directed Blade 3.... so the guy has his off days too.

#83 Posted by ThomasElliot (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeaderVladimir said:

I agree that Superman needs a more realistic approach, but when has Superman been campy and cartoonish? Besides, given the director and the producer of the movie, we already know this will be a great movie.

Apparently you skipped Superman 3 with computer hacker Richard Pryor cracking jokes while the Man From Uncle has a super-computer that turned a woman into C3PO... and Superman 4 where he fights Solar Power Man and destroys all the nuclear missiles in the world. (No worries, I wish I hadn't remembered any of that as well).

#84 Posted by lifeboy (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterKetch: Wow, marvel has the secert formula for making good movie? and all this time i thought it was just good acting and good writing.

#85 Posted by LordRequiem (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

They're barking up the wrong tree when it comes to flight, super strength and all of Supes' other powers then. Grounded in reality lol I don't think so.

#86 Posted by MisterKetch (254 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeboy: If you look back at my op you might notice I didn't say secret, i said successful. But until DC can consistently make good movies like Marvel has been it might as well be considered secret.

TDKR imo had issues, I enjoyed it while watching it but I couldn't help but feel Nolan rushed through it, script seemed lazy for him and editing at times was rough.

The Avengers had great acting and great writing, it was a great comic book movie and the audience agreed.

In regards to having the world around Superman be "real" that amounts to 5 minutes max of footage through out the movie, news clips and what not of people going "oh gosh it was a flying man" and "I bet this is what the government is doing with our taxes". Superhero comics aren't realistic why does anyone think the movies have to be?

Nolan's style "worked" for Batman, if DC is hitching all there hopes on the JL movie franchise to him then there going to be in trouble. The avengers has a huge fan base now thanks to all those movies and the next wave is already in production, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Thor: Dark World, Iron Man 3, and even Ant man, that's 4 more movies Marvel is going to be making money off of hand over fist BEFORE avengers 2 comes out and blows the records apart again.

Comic book movies will never win awards, they can be entertaining. Marvel figured it out and the results speak for themselves 1.5 billion box office (that's 500 million more then the TDKR and believe it or not on a cheaper budget) and it will only serve to attract greater interest to the second wave of the franchise.

#87 Posted by jointron33 (2107 posts) - - Show Bio

@Misterketch yeah.......cuz Batman isn't realistic at all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.