Follow

Malibu

Publisher »

A publisher bought out by Marvel in 1994.

Would U Buy It #63: "Malibu: Genesis"

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI # 63:View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
    11/26/10Malibu: Genesis(Blog) (Forum)Malibu(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:Malibu: Genesis.
    Alternate Title:Genesis.
    Collecting 12 Issues:
    • Genesis #0.
    • Ex-Mutants #11-12
    • Dinosaurs For Hire #8-9
    • Protectors #13-14
    • Ferret #5.
    • Gravestone #3-4
    • Man of War #6-7
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    TPB Cover: Genesis #0
    TPB Cover: Genesis #0

Malibu was very briefly the publisher for Image, when they first got started. Image quickly became financially stable enough to publish themselves, and Malibu continued with what they had left. It didn't take them long to try to bring their remaining titles together with the Genesis crossover event. Comprised of Genesis #0, six parts and five tie-ins, this would come in at a very decent sized 12 issue TPB. As can be seen by the titles involved, this story arc includes the Ex-Mutants, Protectors, Gravestone, The Ferret, Man of War, and Dinosaurs For Hire.

I went with the title Malibu: Genesis, because DC has also had a Genesis story arc, and I wouldn't want there to be any confusion. The alternate title of Genesis is only suggested because that was the actual title of the arc.

For the cover, Protectors #14 might be okay, but I think my preference on this one would be an original cover. If I'm forced to pick a cover from the twelve single issues, then I'd pick Genesis #0, but without the foil embossed cover enhancement. Just the art.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.

More WUBI:

Back/ Next#Which WUBI will it be:
    Back:62.Guy Gardner: The Way of the Warrior.
    Next:64.Ultraverse: Black September.

.Full WUBI Index..Full Blog Index.

Thanks again!

Malibu: Genesis
    Malibu: Genesis

Bloodflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bloodflow

The answer is...HELL YES!!!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

@Bloodflow said:

The answer is...HELL YES!!!

Well, apparently, outside of me, you are the first. lol

Bloodflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bloodflow

In the last 2 months I've collected this crossover, along with nearly every issue of all these titles. Ex-Mutants is fantastic. I'm still waiting for Dinosaurs for Hire 1-12 to arrive in the mail.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop

@Bloodflow: That's way cool! I lived in Las Vegas for six years, and found that back issues out west weren't as plentiful as back east. However, they were big fans of the ten cent and quarter bins, and that's where I used to hunt the back issues for Malibu, Ultraverse, and Milestone. Now that I'm back east again, the issues are easier to find, but the shops in my area mostly charge cover for back issues. I haven't been buying as much recently.

Bloodflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bloodflow

I am a little OCD about collecting, and once I pick a title or crossover, I don't stop til I have all of it. Before this it was Continuity's Deathwatch 2000 crossover. I'm probably going to get Black September, next, or finish up my collection of Ultraverse or Impact titles.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By The Impersonator

Are these comics in Malibu? =P

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop

@Bloodflow said:

I am a little OCD about collecting, and once I pick a title or crossover, I don't stop til I have all of it. Before this it was Continuity's Deathwatch 2000 crossover. I'm probably going to get Black September, next, or finish up my collection of Ultraverse or Impact titles.

I picked up the full Black September (with all of the black covers and some of the variants) from a quarter bin, in very decent shape, and was obviously very happy about that. I have yet to find the entire D2000 crossover. Ultraverse and Impact I only search for in the really cheap bins, just because I expect the issues to turn up there eventually. Milestone too, but I'll pay a little more than cover for those if I have to. All of those are on hold for awhile, as comics are unfortunately out of the budget right now. Hopefully, Internet doesn't follow (again). Le sigh.

@The Impersonator said:

Are these comics in Malibu? =P

No idea where they were based, but that was the name of the company. Seems likely though, since Image is out that way, and they started off being published by Malibu.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cbishop

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

I wouldn`t buy it, at least not at first. I would loan it from a library, and then decide if to buy it.

But, dinosaurs for hire...I would totally buy that!

Ah...who am I kidding? I would only buy it if is awesome. I would absolutely buy it if it is as awesome as it sounds.

I still don't have all of this crossover, but I'd still like to read it.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Strafe Prower

@cbishop: Are you not doing these anymore?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop

@Strafe Prower said:

@cbishop: Are you not doing these anymore?

I did a few recently, but nowhere near as regularly as I was. I have some ideas, but haven't gotten to them yet. Time and Internet access were issues for awhile, but when I got those back, I decided to overhaul my blogs and lists, changing their look - it's turned into a major freakin' project, but I'd like to finish that before adding anything new. I will do more eventually, though.

I don't get a ton of response to these though, so I have to really be in the mood to do one. I've been working on trying to add some interesting info relating to the proposed trade, to make them more appealing to others, instead of just posting a proposed title and the cover images.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cbishop

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Well of course you do. You`ve started to read it.

Maybe you could review at least a few issues you already have.

It'll probably be awhile before I do more reviews of more old stuff - I'm tied up on some other things. I try to get my reviews of Wonder Woman and Supreme up fairly recent after they come out. I'd review Savage Dragon as well, because it's my favorite, but I think all I'd say is, "It's awesome," and be stuck. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cbishop

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

@cbishop:

Problems problems problems...

Meh. Not too bad - just is what it is. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.