inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The brutality continues as Magneto hunts down the Marauders for their crimes, years ago, against the Morlocks. Magneto sticks more to the shadows here, picking off his prey, one-by-one. The sequences that follow are incredibly intense as Magneto learns new ways to kill off his enemies using metal. Each way is more ingenious than the last.

This issue puts the series into perspective, but you don't realize what Magneto is really doing until the end of the issue. The series was set up as a way for Magneto to end the torture and murder of mutants at the hands of humans, but his plan is a bit more realized here, especially with the last page of the issue.

Writer Cullen Bunn does some great work here with Magneto's narration moving along the story. The way he has this self-righteous character rationalize what he is doing (murder!) works well because it makes Magneto a more compelling character. Here's a guy who has seen the horrors of the holocaust, almost eliminating an entire race, and he sees the murder of mutants on that same level. Now, he has the power to stop it and nothing can hold him back. It's truly awesome stuff.

Another aspect of this book, as well as a few other books, like FANTASTIC FOUR, that makes this book stand out is that it embraces moments from the comic's past. There's two pages here, where Magneto reminisces about the Marauders, leading The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and a couple other moments. This is great for newer readers, so they get an understanding that this guy just didn't lose it one day and go on a killing spree. This has been building up over years.

The Bad

Color makes a huge difference on comics, and this issue shows why. Brown's color work on this issue doesn't feel like a good fit. His scenes, showing the Marauders killing off the Morlocks from years ago, looks great, but everything else feels a bit bland. We're not getting that same grit that we got in past issues from the color.

There are a few times the art misses its mark. Javier Fernandez has a distinct style that works on the page, but there are a few times, where faces are a tad distorted and things look a tad awkward.

The Verdict

MAGNETO continues to be an adventure through brutality to those who deserve it. If you're looking for a book that can be described as "wrath," then this is for you. Cullen Bunn is doing an incredible job with this series and this character and I love that he's embracing particular moments from Magneto's past. The biggest problem with the book is that the color isn't up to par and there's a couple small problems with the art, but all-in-all, MAGNETO is one hell of a series.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I liked seeing the different ways Magneto picked off the Marauders. He really got creative with the last two. Wonder if his plans for the clones will factor into Axis?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

This book feels like super powered punisher. I'm enjoying it.

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This series is extremely fun it's Magneto the way he should be depicted, brutal and not Cyclops bitch!! This series along w/Moon Knight are 2 of Marvel's best books. I hope these books stick around for a long time.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Script for Magneto solo movie?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@teerack said:

Now I wonder if the two have ever met

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Punisher and Magneto team up? They hunt down an evil group that is murdering mutants and harvesting their organs. Everyone thinks Mister Sinister is behind it, but it actually turns out to be a subset group of SHEILD!?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack said:

Now I wonder if the two have ever met

I don't think they have actually.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 owie  Moderator

Really enjoyable to see the Marauders back. The genocide of the Morlocks was pretty much right when I started reading comics, so this is a fun nostalgic event--it's about time they got what's coming to them (even if they have died a few times by now). I liked Magneto's response when Arclight asked why he was doing this.

The art was OK but definitely not up to the quality of past issues.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

Script for Magneto solo movie?

It could work. Especially if we get an X-Men movie about Mutant Massacre. The way I see it, we get Apocalypse in the next movie with Sinister being introduce. Then we have the Mutant Massacre movie featuring Sinister and the marauder. Finally, a spinoff Magneto movie.

That would be amazing.

Young_Murloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@jonny_anonymous: Punisher and Magneto team up? They hunt down an evil group that is murdering mutants and harvesting their organs. Everyone thinks Mister Sinister is behind it, but it actually turns out to be a subset group of SHEILD!?

awesome idea!!!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great issue. And I agree about the coloring.

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a great plot, maybe Mister Sinister could be involved with the group too. I wonder how Frank and Erik would interact with each other.

@cheesesticks: I really, really would love a Magneto solo movie that stuck very closely to this series. However, one of the highlights of this book is the brutality of Magneto killing people. The movie would probably be a watered down PG-13 film, and would lack what made the series so great.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mickey-mouse
    copete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By copete

THis website embellishes the Avenger titles (Black Widow), giving it 5s, X-men titles, 4. :( lol

Ex-Marauder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ex-Marauder

After all the Magneto stuff, I think the Marauders should get a solo series. Just me?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.