undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

MAGNETO has crept under the radar and always bordered on a cult classic. It doesn’t have the biggest following, but the following it has is dedicated and with very, very good reason: this book is one of the most intimate, character-driven on the shelf and it involves one of the oldest, most enduring villains of the Marvel U. This issue follows directly from the cliffhanger of the last, showing a Magneto willing to do anything to defend his newly founded nation and keep it safe. And by issue’s end “anything” goes to a very, very dark place. Cullen Bunn does a phenomenal job at making Magneto feel like a man alone in a crowd. There’s a great deal of inner-monologue and that could come off as either pretentious or lazy, but the way that Bunn writes him, it’s only compelling. Magneto fills in his own backstory and talks at great length about his motivation, but it always feels organic, it feels like a conversation he could actually have with himself where the reader just happens to be learning about his history and motives as a side-effect. When push finally comes to shove, it’s an incredible moment and one that will certainly have an impact on this newly formed island should it ever come out (it almost certainly will).

Series regular Gabriel Hernandez Walta provides the linework and, as always, is impeccable in his ability to illustrate action from moment-to-moment without losing the reader’s eye and Bunn’s minimliast writing helps with that enormously. There’s a lot of text on every page, but not a great deal from panel-to-panel, especially during action scenes, and that keeps the book moving at a brisk pace without having the reader feel like they’re not getting their money’s worth. There’s a real element of creeping horror that runs through this issue, and Walta’s linework provides a jagged, dark canvas for it to reach its tendrils across while Jordie Bellaire’s colors give the entire issue a washed-out, exhausted feel that lends itself perfectly to what’s being portrayed. Bellaire’s always shown an uncanny ability to bring the perfect tone to whatever she’s coloring, and this issue is no exception as she uses a very limited palette to show both the grim realities of what’s going on while reminding us that nothing is black-and-white.

The Bad

The flashbacks in this issue are well-executed, but they retread some very well-worn territory. Territory that’s had entire series dedicated to it and doesn’t necessarily need to be reshown in as much detail, or over as many pages, as it is here.

The Verdict

While the flashbacks may go a step too far in getting to the depths of Magneto’s character, everything else about this issue moves with such an amazing pace, and with such darkly beautiful visuals, that it’s easy to not only look past them, but to feel that there’s still a tremendous value in this issue. Seeing a vulnerable Magneto not only try to keep up appearances, but make what must be one of the hardest decisions of his lengthy existence is well worth the price of admission and sets the stage for even more to come.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I wish Cullen Bunn would do a book for The Rogues. His Magneto, Sinestro & Lobo have been good reads.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"I no longer see the past following me. I see jackals waiting to pick at the carcass of my own legacy...which, like Amy's illusions...I wanted to shape into something pleasant....but has quickly spoiled under the influence of my own darkness." - Magneto

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Love this title. Been picking it up since #1. First time in months it didn't drop with Moon Knight tho. Two Cullen Bunns are better than one.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I always make sure I mention this book to people. It's so ridiculously good. It came around the time "Days Future Past" came out last year, which is Magneto's movie to me at least. Perfect timing for me.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@johnny_blaze said:

I wish Cullen Bunn would do a book for The Rogues. His Magneto, Sinestro & Lobo have been good reads.

Yes that would be absolutely amazing

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have thoroughly enjoyed this Magneto series, which has made him one of my favorite of the mutant characters. I find it interesting there is an article on Comic Vine now, "Was I a Monster for Loving Mr. Sinister as a Child?" If so, what does this say about my feelings for Magneto as an adult? I find myself growing more attached to him with each issue.

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diannah: I think it's the maturity and the fact that he's presented as an actual person. He still has his convictions, but experience and wisdom are now causing him to look back upon his life, and upon himself as he is, and question himself. And those doubts humanise him as a character in a wonderful way.

Also, damn, I did not put together what was going on with Hitzig, but when it was finally revealed... bravo Mr Bunn. Drawing together all the threads very nicely.

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator

What the girl said to Magneto at the end (I'm avoiding spoilers here) was pretty hard core, and very true. His face, when he realized it, was great.

This book, like Loki, has had some really great moments. Also like Loki, it was one of the more disrupted series by Axis, and it lost some of its pacing and power due to that. It seems to be getting it back now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.