Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5892 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

X-Men: First Class—Did the Movie Make Magneto More Hero Than Villain?

• 78 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

If you ask comic readers who the X-Men's greatest villain is, chances are they'll say Magneto. The same would be said for those that have only seen the previous movies or animated series. While currently a part of the X-Men in the comics, he still retains that shadow hanging over him leaving readers wondering when he'll turn against the X-Men once again.

No Caption Provided

With the release of X-Men: First Class, we got to see a little more of who Erik Lehnsherr was before he became the man known as Magneto. Despite the title of the film, the movie was Magneto's story along with his relationship with Charles Xavier. Yes there were mutants involved and the formation of the X-Men, but they were secondary characters. Magneto was a victim throughout and was on a quest to achieve some sort of peace within himself.

Just as in the comics, Magneto did some things that would be construed as an act of evil. With this portrayal, should Magneto still be seen as a villain?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

When one suffers a horrific experience, where should the line be drawn in righting any wrongs? How far should one go in order to achieve justice? As in the comics, Erik was born to a Jewish family in the late 1920s and taken to a camp in 1939. What he had to experience is enough to permanently scar any person. Rather than succumb to the cruel fates, Erik managed to survive this ordeal. With a thirst for revenge, he had one goal in mind.

X-Men: First Class continued to show that Erik wasn't a man determined to rule of homo sapiens. He wasn't even aware there were other mutants in existence. He just needed to get closure on what he suffered through as a child. Meeting Charles Xavier showed him there were others like him, with special abilities. Charles helped him cope with the pain he kept bottled up inside and Erik was becoming a better person.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Unfortunately it is part of human nature to fear that which is unknown. If you've seen the movie or the trailers, you know that Erik, Charles and the newly formed X-Men are trying to deal with the missile crisis and the potential outbreak of a nuclear war. Working with CIA Agent Moira MacTaggert, the X-Men even had approval by the U.S. Government. Yet, it's clear, even in the trailers, that they will be betrayed. A swarm of missiles is headed their way, regardless of any effort the X-Men made in saving the day.

This is where we see the difference in Charles and Erik's ideals. Charles believes that mankind and mutants can co-exist. He believes they should save even those that fear them. Magneto is not willing to take the same route. People consider Magneto an enemy but wasn't it more a matter of when push comes to shove? Magneto wanted to do the right thing. He may have had a personal agenda but he was willing to put his life on the line to save the United States and even the world. The extreme lack of gratitude showed this was a mistake.

No Caption Provided

He lived his life not being able to trust anyone. Meeting Charles allowed him to open himself up. But shortly after that, he was betrayed. He needs to ensure the survival of himself and mutantkind, which is a target for the government. Nothing can stop him and he won't even allow a friendship to get in the way.

So who is the true villain here? It's not Magneto. The government may think they are protecting the innocent but that can't be the case when they make up their own definition of who is and is not considered innocent. Magneto grew up being a victim. Once he was on his way to achieving closure and had a place next to Xavier, the government and society showed him where he stood among them. Standing up for himself and what he believes in doesn't make him a villain. When push comes to shove, Magneto will shove back.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By cosmo111687

He's a very sympathetic villain, but threatening the lives of thousands of sailors with armed missiles and nearly instigating a war between mutants and humans instantly marks you as a villain - no matter how misguided the actions of the human leaders were. 

Edit: 

"Magneto was a victim throughout and was on a quest to achieve some sort of peace within himself." 

I felt like Magneto was on a quest to vent his rage while Professor X was on a quest to instill him with peace. 

Further Edit: 

Also, Magneto is an ego-maniacal, power-hungry, radical terrorist who espouses a philosophy of mutant superiority that could potentially bring out about the destruction, or subjugation, of the 6-7 Billion non-Mutants living upon the planet. His desire to see Mutant-kind protected from a prejudiced and fearful human population is understandable, but his response to it makes him no better than Senator Kelly, William Striker, or the Nazis who harmed him and his family in the camps. Though he may not be a completely black and white villain, he's certainly not a hero. And these things shouldn't be overlooked before making him out to be what he is not, you know?

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I've always found Magneto to be an extremely sympathetic villain, if you can call him a villain at all. Some would say that his methods are extreme, but can it really be said that he goes any farther than those who threaten him?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Oh I think there is no question that this movie made Magneto the very essence of 'bad @$$'.  When it comes to the point that one believes vengeance to be the utmost priority and all other concerns becoming secondary, then its clear that righteousness no longer enters the equation.  Clearly he is a villain then when he no longer cares about order and mayhem and greatness and instead wants to re-aim missiles at patrolling ships or to send a coin straight through someone's head while they are defenseless.  In other words, he may have started out the victim but if he had wanted to be the 'better man' as he so boldly claims he is, then he would have let that vengeance against Shaw go way before he ever met Charles Xavier. No, he did not have aspirations of mutant superiority to begin with, but the vengeance against Shaw might as well have been the catalyst to make him go in that direction, for his hate would not have died even with Shaw's death.  Yes, he may have been pushed first, but then he pushed plenty back and as time would show would keep pushing and pushing.  Clearly then I see him as the villain.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Well yeah, he's a very relatable villain in the sense he just wants freedom for mutants and mutant rights like Professor X, but does so in a very different way. 

I don't think Magneto should ever be portrayed as a full, 100% villain, but more like how First Class portrayed him, very sympathetic, it makes for a more interesting villain that way.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By The Average Bear
    In this movie, I felt that Erik was more damaged than evil. Being thrown into a concentration camp, he learned first hand what happens to those deemed 'different'. I believe his compassion (as radical as it may be) for his race is a product of that time. He witnessed genocide, and sought to not allow that to happen again, through any means necessary. I don't think mutant supremacy was his motive as much as survival. 
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eyz

Not evil enough.

He should have killed lotsa people, make a terrorist attack (BECAUSE it is what he is in the comics) or something... Too much anti-hero made him look lie the good guy.

But I suspect it was because of 20th Century Fox, who didn't had the b@lls to show any violence or people acting "evil" at all..

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By leokearon

Magneto is a very complicated character and it is nice that First Class showed that
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By dorsk188

I don't understand why everyone's so hung up on the "villain" and "evil" labels.  Every well-written character in a conflict has goals and aspirations.  They see their goals, and usually the means through which they hope to achieve them, as ultimately good.  As readers, we are free to judge their goals as good or bad, but we shouldn't try to divide them along the over-simplistic lines of the Silver-Age.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I still haven't seen it darn it!

BlackPookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By BlackPookie

We all have dark and light sides inside of us... its only a matter of which side we choose to live, and some ppl are always crossing sides... even if they have a good heart. 
    I think thats what happens with Magneto! He's no evil per se... just a man, who has been pushed too many times... when that happens we tend to break... and nothing can stop us!
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shaanyboi

@Eyz said:

Not evil enough. He should have killed lotsa people, make a terrorist attack (BECAUSE it is what he is in the comics) or something... Too much anti-hero made him look lie the good guy. But I suspect it was because of 20th Century Fox, who didn't had the b@lls to show any violence or people acting "evil" at all..

Or, y'know... Matthew Vaughn wanted to make an interesting character and not just another comic-book villain with a slightly more interesting backstory

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eyz
    @shaanyboi said:

@Eyz said:

Not evil enough. He should have killed lotsa people, make a terrorist attack (BECAUSE it is what he is in the comics) or something... Too much anti-hero made him look lie the good guy. But I suspect it was because of 20th Century Fox, who didn't had the b@lls to show any violence or people acting "evil" at all..

Or, y'know... Matthew Vaughn wanted to make an interesting character and not just another comic-book villain with a slightly more interesting backstory

Stop defending Vaughn! He didn't write the flick and the movie would have been mostly the same if Fox put him out and had gotten another director.
    It's a studio flick! (and a 20th Century Fox lackbuster at that!) The producers made the choices and decisions.
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shaanyboi

@Eyz said:

@shaanyboi said:

@Eyz said:

Stop defending Vaughn! He didn't write the flick and the movie would have been mostly the same if Fox put him out and had gotten another director. It's a studio flick! (and a 20th Century Fox lackbuster at that!) The producers made the choices and decisions.

Uh huh... despite the fact that he and Jane Goldman (someone he's worked with twice before) both have writing credits, and that Vaughn has a solid-as-f*** track-record for this being only his fourth directorial role... I'd say he had something to do with it being as well-received as it is.

As much as I'm all bitter towards studio-influence in summer-blockbuster stuff like this, a good movie is a good movie, and a good director is a good director. Stop whining.

Considering Fassbender is one of the most universally loved parts of that movie (unless you're someone like... well, you who has completely shallow teenage mentality that a guy just killing a bunch of people somehow makes him interesting as a character), they probably went in a good direction with him. This is how he BECOMES the extremist he is, and that's the whole point of his relationship with Charles. They agree on everything except for how to deal with this one issue. That's the whole point. If you're saying that he needed to just mercilessly kill a bunch of people out of pure evil (which y'know... is super deep), then you clearly don't understand the whole point of that character.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Osiris1428

"Standing up for himself and what he believes in doesn't make him a villain. When push comes to shove, Magneto will shove back." 
    Lets make a movie or video game about a slave (American Chattel Slavery) that escapes and hunts down and kills slave owners and see if this logic still applies. 

BTW: who betrayed Magneto? It is the other way around. 

But Magneto is suppose to be flawed character, like the best X-Men characters are. Xavier could have done more for Mystique. Magneto's rage could have been put in check preventing tragedy. After seeing this movie, I still see the potential for good in Erik. All that means is this movie is a job well done.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By chalkshark

When your goal is to murder the people who oppose you or have done you wrong, you're a villain. You can put whatever rationalization you like behind your actions. You're still a killer.  Magneto makes a point of stating that he's already the "better man", but the better man doesn't resort to murder. He could just as easily have fended off that missile attack by hurling them all into the sea. He didn't. He wanted to strike back at the humans. He could have brought those war criminals to justice. He chose to exact revenge, instead. Shaw was rendered completely defenseless when Magneto killed him. His death was not a quick, in the moment, during a heated conflict type of thing. It was cold. Deliberate. Clearly premeditated. Magneto kept that coin all those years specifically to do what he did with it. Magneto is so blinded by his rage & hatred that he doesn't see that you can't stand up for the oppressed by being an oppressor yourself.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I haven't seen the movie yet, don't know if I can be bothered, but it annoys me when people say Magneto isn't a villain. He is. He can be sympathetic, sure, but he's still more than willing to execute you if it means saving a mutant, any mutant, from harm. I'm not saying he is or isn't in the film (as I said, I haven't seen it), but in the comics, he is a villain (well, he was before the Utopia garbage came in).

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By John Valentine
    @chalkshark said:
    When your goal is to murder the people who oppose you or have done you wrong, you're a villain. You can put whatever rationalization you like behind your actions. You're still a killer.  Magneto makes a point of stating that he's already the "better man", but the better man doesn't resort to murder. He could just as easily have fended off that missile attack by hurling them all into the sea. He didn't. He wanted to strike back at the humans. He could have brought those war criminals to justice. He chose to exact revenge, instead. Shaw was rendered completely defenseless when Magneto killed him. His death was not a quick, in the moment, during a heated conflict type of thing. It was cold. Deliberate. Clearly premeditated. Magneto kept that coin all those years specifically to do what he did with it. Magneto is so blinded by his rage & hatred that he doesn't see that you can't stand up for the oppressed by being an oppressor yourself.
    Yes, murder is such a morally absolute topic and in no way ever a reasonable action.

Better man in terms of power, clearly.  Which war criminals? You mean those working for the US and Russain government? Unlikely. Or do you mean Shaw?

Poor Shaw. The man was a monster, potentiating a global threat.  He was pretty much invincible; if Magneto hadn't seized that opportunity to kill him, he would have started a third WW and killed millions, if not billions of people. It was a necessity, even if Magneto did it  out of revenge. And, to be frank, that scene with the coin just added an awesomely brutal circularity to the movie. I can't see how you can show any form of compassion for Shaw….

Shaw himself played along with the Nazi agenda, whilst not necessarily believing it (but still, imagine the innocents he killed). He shot and killed Erik's mother in front of him and evidently showed a vast disregard for human life.  His views were like Magneto's but amplified onto human eradication.  
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John Valentine
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    I haven't seen the movie yet, don't know if I can be bothered, but it annoys me when people say Magneto isn't a villain. He is. He can be sympathetic, sure, but he's still more than willing to execute you if it means saving a mutant, any mutant, from harm. I'm not saying he is or isn't in the film (as I said, I haven't seen it), but in the comics, he is a villain (well, he was before the Utopia garbage came in).
    This is where we disagree. 
    Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Band Lone

Magneto has always been the good guy.. If your a mutant.

Wingfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wingfoot

Hi ! 

Even a terrorist may have very substantial reasons to do what he does. Though, he's still a terrorist.  

Magneto is obviously not a murderous villain like Norman Osborn. That said, in the movie he made his choice by taking litteraly the crown of the Black King.  
    So, he is a villain, but what a good villain ! 
    Hihane washte.
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlKusanagi

Magneto has been good/an anti-hero for almost as long as he's been evil. He had an excellent run as one in the 80s, for example. Hell, I still buy him as a hero over Emma Frost any day.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This is where we disagree. 
    Don't get me wrong, I like him, and I'd support him if I was a mutant, but he's no hero. He's more villain than anything, even if you can't really define him as such.

@AngelDust616
    Yeah, I'll probably be seeing it this weekend.
    That's an awesome poster, and exemplifies the character, imo.
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sammo21

No, anyone who knows the character Magneto knows he's been heroic many times and depending on your point of view he's heroic most of the time. Hell, he even lead the X-Men proper for a time.

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrCipher
    @John Valentine said:
    @chalkshark said:
    Yes, murder is such a morally absolute topic and in no way ever a reasonable action.Better man in terms of power, clearly.  Which war criminals? You mean those working for the US and Russain government? Unlikely. Or do you mean Shaw? Poor Shaw. The man was a monster, potentiating a global threat.  He was pretty much invincible; if Magneto hadn't seized that opportunity to kill him, he would have started a third WW and killed millions, if not billions of people. It was a necessity, even if Magneto did it  out of revenge. And, to be frank, that scene with the coin just added an awesomely brutal circularity to the movie. I can't see how you can show any form of compassion for Shaw…. Shaw himself played along with the Nazi agenda, whilst not necessarily believing it (but still, imagine the innocents he killed). He shot and killed Erik's mother in front of him and evidently showed a vast disregard for human life.  His views were like Magneto's but amplified onto human eradication.  
    That's right, murder is never a reasonable action for a good person. There is a huge difference between acting in self defense when those actions lead to the death of person and the deliberate death of another person that has been tactically planned.  From a perspective of justice, yes I do believe Shaw needed to be ended. He was a deliberate murderer in his own right. A person like that needs to be removed from the equation of humanity (or mutant-kind, or what have you). I just believe the circumstances of his death were not morally correct in and of themselves.
    The fact that everyone Magneto killed was incapable of defending themselves at the time of their death speaks to his very nature. He didn't duel anyone, he didn't even really give them ample opportunity to defend themselves on a level field of battle. There was no sense of honor in his actions. He was willing to kill hundreds of innocent men on battleships who were in that situation just because someone in a room thousands of miles away gave the order to fire missiles.
    While I can place myself in the character's position and feel sympathy for his victimization, sadness for his loss of family and his loss of innocence, it does not change the fact that he was a murderer. He was a man bent on revenge, not justice.
    It is so disturbing to see people nowadays twisting the concepts of justice, morality, and honor into something so much less and using emotional reasons as a scapegoat. Temporary insanity is a fallacy made up by lawyers to create loopholes in the judicial system and to justify a lack of judgment. Morality by it's very nature is subjective and emotional. It's up to us as people to be objective about emotional situations and not act out of passion, but instead figure out what the right thing to do would be in those situations. Just because you can sympathize and identify with the character doesn't make his actions right.
    I'm not debating Magneto's intentions, you can clearly see his intentions are good, but his methods and his actions are clearly evil. Thats what meakes the character so compelling. A person watching such a well-developed villain will undoubtedly have his own morality tested as he identifies with the character.
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chalkshark
    @John Valentine:  The war criminals I refer to are the two he kills in South America (along with a bartender), & Shaw, himself. Not the Naval fleets outside Cuba.  

Yes, Shaw was a threat, but as a threat he had been neutralized. His scheme had been thwarted. He was a beaten man. The right thing to do would have been to hand him over to the military, so that he could be tried for his  war crimes, & sentenced by a court of law. 

Shaw's murder is not an act of justice. It is an act of revenge. It was not done for a greater good. It was done to appease one man's sense of vengeance. You can make an argument that killing Shaw was of benefit to the world. That's not Magneto's motivation in murdering him, though. He kills him because he wants to kill him. He kills him because it's been his plan all along. He kills him because no one can stop him from killing him. Magneto isn't saving anyone. Shaw's associates are just as culpable for his crimes as Shaw himself, but Magneto doesn't punish them for their role in Shaw's doomsday scenario. Magneto is perfectly happy to walk off into the sunset with them as his newfound allies. 

You can sympathize with Magneto because you understand the tragedy that fuels his rage & sorrow, & informs his every action, but that's no justification for his deeds.  At every turn, Magneto willfully makes the wrong choice between right & wrong. That makes him the villain.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By fodigg

I think he's a villain. He started as an instrument of vengeance, had a chance at redemption, but rejected it and embraced villainy. That's my interpretation of his arc. If he had just killed Shaw that wouldn't have made him a villain, but he basically became Shaw, except minus the ridiculous "nuclear war is good" insanity.

Kenjav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kenjav

The only villain here was Sebastian Shaw. Erik is a man with godly powers looking for revenge, and once he meets Charles tries to do the right thing, but once again is betrayed and used as a tool because of this power. And that's when he says "alright, screw you human race, take THIS".

Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shipwreck

I never saw him as evil or a villain. Magneto has always been more in my eyes. Emotionally scarring as a boy in Hitler's Germany caused the man we see today. Another genocide is what he fears and what he's out to stop. Terrorism may not be the best answer but war grown boy it's the only answer. In away he's both the hero and villain. He's the true villain of anyone that will tear a mutant apart limb from limb and hero to the mutants that can stand a fight. The bigger issue is he uses random targets. If marvel went and singled mutant haters that harmed out more Magneto would be seen as the greater good.

I hate it when fan writers,  roleplayers, comic writers, display Magneto with no heart. The character is so much deeper than black and white.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I've always seen Magneto as Malcolm X, and Charles Xavier as Martian Luthor King Jr. 

One Mutants villain is another Mutants hero

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fodigg
    @Gambler: Sometimes he's written like Malcom X, sometimes he's written like an ironic Adolf Hitler. At the end of XMFC I felt like he was somewhere in the middle.
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I love that Magneto was right poster, Because he is most of the time.

goldkear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By goldkear
    @The Average Bear: are you kidding?! his ideals of mutant supremacy borders on genocide. he would LOVE for humans to no longer exist. (and no, the irony of this is not lost on me) 

@dorsk188: you really hit the nail on the head and basically wrote exactly what I wanted to say. magneto is a very complex character. 

if this were a different movie, this article should have been about Emma frost. I was really disappointed in the poor portrayal of her and the hellfire club. Emma is one of my favorite characters from the x-men franchise (which is my favorite comic book franchise) and she was basically just playing assistant to the cackling, mustache-twisting Sebastian shaw. At least they fixed her from the wolverine movie. 
    tangmcgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tangmcgame

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the fact that

*SPOILERS*

Magneto says he agrees with every word of Shaw's superiority spiel (just before Magneto murders Shaw) indicates that he's felt that way all along and it's just been playing second fiddle to his  revenge.  If it weren't for their history, Shaw and Erik would have been bffs.

So, no, Magneto isn't solely reactionary and he's not just a man (mutant) responding to a government attack.  Another day, at another time, he would have gotten around to initiating his supremacy agenda.  All the government attack really did was undermine Charles's beliefs.  It didn't change anything about Erik.

annaxbarie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By annaxbarie

Anyone who wants to point fingers at Magneto killing Shaw as making him a villain is a fool. As much as Charles hoped Erik would be the better man, he allowed him not to be. Erik could not have done his little coin trick without Prof X holding Shaw back. So who's the villain again? Also, You could say Erik should have detained Shaw, and brought him to the proper authorities, but I think it's pretty evident the government never would have given them that option, when they had hundreds of missiles flying their way. No mutant was getting off that island alive if Human Kind had anything to say about it. You could call the sailors innocent, and just following orders, but they were aware of what they were doing. They were just as willing to make that call. Obviously if you look at Magneto and all you see is a villain, and evil, you have a very idealistic view of the world, much like Prof X. But the world, it isn't so black and white.

Shieldbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shieldbearer
    @Shadow_Thief

Agreed, and I love the slogan, "Magneto Was Right." As seen within the more recent X-Men books from the last few years, humanity as a whole wants nothing to do with mutants. The move to Utopia was a good one and Magneto aligns himself with the X-Men (remainder of Mutantkind) as Sinesto might likely do if the Green Lantern Corps was to ultimately be destroyed. 

Infact, I believe Magneto and Sinesto share a great deal in common. Neither truly views himself as a villain, but rather a necessary gray element for the survival of their cause or kind.
    Shieldbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shieldbearer
    @MrCipher

If Magneto never hurled those missiles back at those battleships, the X-Men as we know them (cinematically of course) would be DEAD. His actions saved the future of mutantkind.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Kairan1979

Just look at the latest events in the comic books and say that Magneto was wrong about humanity. One man willing to help mutants equals thousands willing to destroy the "muties". Cyclops understood in, that's why he abandoned Xavier's teachings and started using Magneto's methods (moving to Utopia, creating mutant black ops killing squad to destroy the enemies before they could strike).

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Bestostero

Magneto was probably the most interesting character in this movie, he was a "hero" he kinda saved this movie lol

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By sladewilson30

fuck professor x, magneto was completely jusitfied for killing shaw

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sobe Cin

Yes i think Magneto is still a villain, and it took Xavier for that to happen. I think that if Magneto had never met Professor X, he would never have gotten a handle on his powers, and he would have died facing Shaw. His rage would have blinded him. But because Xavier got him to move past the rage and find his center, thus he created Magneto. And one hell of a villain.
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Norusdog

I love the spoilers on this site, lol.  Not even the editors give a shit.

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The Hottness

im with Magneto 100%

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#44  Edited By gmanfromheck

@norusdog: What spoilers? Everything here was seen in the numerous trailers and TV spots.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Sobe Cin said:
    Yes i think Magneto is still a villain, and it took Xavier for that to happen. I think that if Magneto had never met Professor X, he would never have gotten a handle on his powers, and he would have died facing Shaw. His rage would have blinded him. But because Xavier got him to move past the rage and find his center, thus he created Magneto. And one hell of a villain.
    Isn't that usually the case for most hero/villain dynamics, one usually creates the other. But to me Magneto will always be a villain, it doesn't matter what people say his goals are. His goal has always been mutant dominance over humanity, what is heroic about that? He lived through the Holocaust, so his solution is to do the same thing to humanity, one would assume that someone who lived through such a horrible event would never wish to see such a thing happen again, to anyone. But what Magneto wants is no different then what Hitler wanted, one dominate race. Hitler had his pure-blooded Aryan race and Magneto has his Homo Superior.
    coolbeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By coolbeans

Things are not always black and white.  I don't see Magneto as a villain, more like a man who believes he is doing what he can for his race.  Just because his views cause him to oppose heroes every now and then does not make him a villain exactly.  These things make Magneto such a great character.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By King Quisling

Magneto was a total jerk.

tangmcgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tangmcgame
    @sladewilson30 said:
    He was provoked, sure.  Justified?  That's a bit harder to sell.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fodigg
    @tangmcgame said:
    @sladewilson30 said:
    He was provoked, sure.  Justified?  That's a bit harder to sell.
    Also, Professor X's point was kind of "it doesn't matter if you're justified, be the better man."
    Avatar image for theincrediblenightcrawler1999
    TheIncredibleNightcrawler1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto is fighting for a cause. Not a terrorist, more like an extremist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.