Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5894 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

Will Bryan Singer's X-Men: First Class Cancel Magneto Origins?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    We've heard the news that Bryan Singer will return to the X-Men with X-Men: First Class Singer's last update that this would deal with the "formative years of Xavier and Magneto" and show where their relationship went sour.  Since we've seen some of Magneto's origin already in Singer's first X-Men film, would all of this do away with the need for Magneto to have his own film?

Singer continues to talk about X-Men, despite it not being his next film.  When talking to the Hollywood Reporter, Singer mentioned Magneto's story once again.

This story would probably utilize some of the Magneto story because it deals with a young Magneto, so it might supersede that because this would explore that relationship between a young energetic professor and a disenfranchised victim of the Holocaust.

The question is, does this mean X-Men Origins: Magneto is dead?  Obviously there is still a lot more to Magneto's story but this is pretty much the heart of it.  After seeing bits of his origin in two separate films (and yes, I understand that this is most likely separate from the first X-Men movie), would people want to see his origin?  Is it time to give up the hope of seeing a solo Magneto movie and start thinking about other mutants getting their own movie?  We still have Deadpool and the possible Wolverine sequel.  Maybe Magneto's time has passed.

Do you still want a Magneto Origins movie?
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

if first calss covers the origins of magneto would ruin any chance adn reason to make a solo film , unless it bombs big time. I am worreid that they are focusing on that as the main story for first class,  its something the original xmen arent really envolved in. The whole friendship  turned sour "mags and xavier" happens before the first team form.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AngelFrost

Noo,
    I don't think a Magneto movie would workk.

But a First Class movie will be amazingg.
    I soo can't wait

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jefprice

It's my understanding that First Class picks up with the First Class after the events in X3. It involves that young line up from the last 3 films and isn't really related to the first class comics other then in name. I really think that if they want to do a magneto film they still might, but they have better ideas.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jefprice: In the article I posted on the 18th, Singer said:

"This is the formative years of Xavier and Magneto, and the formation of the school and where there relationship took a wrong turn," Singer said. "There is a romantic element, and some of the mutants from 'X-Men' will figure into the plot, though I don't want to say which ones. There will be a lot of new mutants and a great villain." 

Xavier and Magneto will be twentysomething.
    jedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jedd

magnetos kids better be in this film!!!!!
    BOPFAN#3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BOPFAN#3

Well I really don't think people are looking to see a movie about the Holocaust anytime soon. I like Magneto, but I don't think its really necessary.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: That's really weird. Donner told Empire like 5 months ago that First Class would be about Angel, Kitty, IceMan and some of the other who take up the mantle after the events of X3, and that it would just show some of the earlier years.  

I'd much rather them just make a fantastic X4 then see flashback styled movies
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey

so sick of Magneto.  Singer like the whole subject of Nazi's and the Holocaust so we'll more then likely see more of that.  If this is early Xavier then maybe we can see the Shadow KIng, that might work.  I'd rather see a lot more on a young X team.  Who is gonna be on the tea, tho, Cyclops, Jean, Storm.  Is Beast, and are there any more memebers who won't get enough screen time.  Maybe this time Storm can keep her accent.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Why can we have both?

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather see First Class over a Magneto solo film...
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#11  Edited By HaloKing343

I wouldn't count it out just yet. X2 dealt a lot with Wolverine's origin but what do you know? He got his own movie.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jefprice: Part of Singer signing was Fox using the treatment that he wrote.  There's also a new writer.  Who knows if any of the previous written script will be used.
    Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jamiracles

I want to see the movie Bryan Singer makes. Because that'll be the good one of the two.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Precise

I would love to Magneto's Testament on the big screen. But from what i've heard about how the movie was going to be, then no. I'd rather there wouldn't be a Magneto Origins unless it's true to the story already written.

Ikkybooger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Ikkybooger

I would be so disappointed if they cancelled Magneto's Origin movie. That's the one I was most excited for. The begin scene from the first X-men movie with Magneto as a child has always been one of my favorites. I think there's a good story to be told here and I totally think it could work. 

As for the First Class movie, I thought it would concentrate more on the first line of  X-men as the name suggests rather than a young Xavier and Magneto. I want to see the original X-men, including a non-blue haired Beast, in their traditional yellow and Black uniforms. That would be awesome! 

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Pania

Given what I had seen of Goyer's plans for X-Men Origins: Magneto (an Anakin Skywalker analog with mad scientists and Nazi hunting and being partly repsonsible for the death of his wife and child), I am much happier having Magneto's story covered by Singer in a First Class movie. Singer "got" the character, Goyer did not.

And we don't need to see Magneto during the Holocaust, we get it. I never wanted his origins film to focus on that. I thought it could have covered in the opening credits. Its the space in between the Holocaust and Cape Citadel that people want to see.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Dark Cell

Ohhh HELL NO!!! 

the Magneeto film would be awesome!...replace it with First class? *facepalm*
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jefprice
    @G-Man: Aaaaa Makes since now. More BS Lol (get it?)  

I'm betting they go the 2nd route they've talked about which was X4 and first class being separate films.
    Avatar image for knightinbatmanarmor
    knightinbatmanarmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people don't agree with me on this. But, I think the movies bombed. People wanted to see 616 movies, and instead Fox said it was an alternate universe. Which is sometimes fine with me, except they essentially pulled out my favorite characters, and the ones that were int he movies were totally lame and took backseats, despite being pretty intricately laced into the plot. But I digress. I think a Magneto movie would be neat, if they stuck well to the original plot of his story. Don't focus too much on the holocaust, because really, that was really before Magneto became Magneto. Skim over it, and get to him meetin Xavier, his first child dying, etc. etc. 

As for First Class, I hope it makes up for the first three. I really dont' want it to be turned into an X4. I would probably watch it, in hopes that it came make up for the previous three, but not likely. I hope they can go back to the originals, and while the thing about First Class is, the lacking of mutants, I think that would be a more interesting place to start, and perhaps go forward from there with sequels and having a movie that isn't quite as centered around Wolverine and more FUN!

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I would rather see First Class happen XD

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By SuperXAsh

I'd much rather see this stuff back in the hands of Singer, because when they gave the X-Men to other directors... it kinda sucked.
    buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By buns134

is it necessary?

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Sweet no more magneto film! I like him and all but I like Singer doing this more and from what I hear the script to X-men Origins: Magneto wasn't very good.

mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By mrrpm01

well I don't screen write but if they want a winner of a movie start out with how the x-men looked in the beginning, yes hank b4 he grew fur, and the old yellow and blue costumes and maybe halfway into the movie give them the new costumes and do just as john favreau did, use the cominc as a template for the movie.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Yes i still Want ONe

X-Men have too many movies already... we need something different besides a X-Men movie with No Iceman and no Wolverine... No Colossus and no NIght Crawler would suck... UNless they jus dont follow the Story of X-Men Movie series... and make Ice cubes join since day one like in the comics instead of in the movie where he joined recently...

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I don't think a Magneto Origins story is necessary. An all-encompassing project dedicated to one X-villain seems a waste of time and money. The producers need to focus on the bigger picture, honestly.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Moomin123

To be honest with you, I've never been a fan of villain only films, it just doesn't seem right. But X-Men: First Class does sound cool. 
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Honestly, I would rather go see X-Men: First Class than a Magneto: Origins movie...His origin was (kinda) told in the first X-Men movie. Brilliantly, too! He was born with magnetic powers that manifested themselves in the concentration camps of WWII. Boom. And...scene. Okay, maybe some attention could be given to Erik and Charles gathering the X-Men and the rift in a First Class movie...But I really can't see a whole movie devoted to Luthor's - I mean Erik's - descent into villainy. As cheesy and campy as it may be I would like to see the original X-Men come together...  

bloodshed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bloodshed

i wouldn't really want to see mags in his own movie.
    Rune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rune

I don't care what singer picks to do as long as he does it I will be happy.

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By drawme

I vote for Deadpool. As long this one happens I´m glad.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Magneto is better then everyone in first class combined

XXXStone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By XXXStone

Honestly I wouldn't even see X-Men Origins: Magneto and not cause I don't like the character cause I think he's one of the X-Men's top 3 villians. Cause I think it would just be a bore. X-Men First Class on the other hand could be awesome especially with Singer at the helm. I only just wished he would have done X3 and then we would have a had a great trilogy. I honestly think First Class will be about how Prof and Erik had a falling out and the First Class of X-Men have to stop him.
    Gank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gank

Mags is cool, but it's time to move on. There are plenty of other great X-Villains out there. If it came down to it - I'd still see the movie though. I'd just be happy to see the X-Men back on film.

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nyogtha
    @Jamiracles:  How do you know? They could get some huge Director out of left field that never did anything of this subject. Saying Singer does this, some big name director could be totally enthralled with the concept of Magneto.
    crice3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crice3

i dont get why some people dont want to see the origin of magneto that would be awesome some say they are tired of the holocaust but in the xmen story where would magneto come from puppy dogs and sweet dreams you would not have his hurt or emotion wolverine was a great story and everyone knew that story i would love to see how magneto and prof x became friends then seperated from each other 
    also people are sayin that we seen it in the first xmen what like 1 min good grief i want to see atleast 90 min please.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.