Why cant Magneto attract "haemoglobin"

#1 Posted by notageek (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont understand this thing.Magneto powers make him a super magnet that can lift around 100 tons so why cant he kill humans by simply extracting all metal out of them? he can simply extract all iron out of our body and we will die because the haemoglobin in red blood cells is made out of iron and without it we won't be able to absorb oxygen

#2 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm... excellent point. if he did that he would be no better than the nazi prison guards during ww2. he would never take a life. he would rather let somebody else do it

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7813 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk why but i thought he had done this before. I might just be thinking of when they put iron in to the guards in the movie and he pulled it out of their pores. That was pretty cool.
#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio

He has done it before and wtf do you mean magneto wouldn't take a life he'd gladly kill someone who got in his was and has on numerous occasions 

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: no he did it to a few nazis in a one shot back in the 90s If any one has a scan itd be helpful
#6 Posted by DEGRAAF (7813 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:
i was thikning of this video below 

#7 Posted by notageek (86 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: 
really? when?
#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@notageek: I can't remember if it was a magneto one shot or an xmen issue but it was in the early 90s, It was a story dealing with Magneto's origins apparently seeing him rip the iron out of someones blood is what made his wife run away from him without telling him she was pregnant with wanda and pietro
#9 Posted by notageek (86 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: 
oo lala how can i forget that well atleast he did it in movies
@joshmightbe:
wow would love to see him do it

i guess the writer dont make him do it because of censorship issues
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@notageek: Ill try to find a scan of it I lost the actual issue in a house fire along with most of my collection a few years back
#11 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:
i mean he wouldnt kill another mutant [homo superior]. sorry.
#12 Posted by notageek (86 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: o that sux and goodluck with finding it
#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@umbrafeline: he technically killed jean grey 
#14 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

You have a good point
I'm just guessing, but maybe his powers aren't that ... specific enough to identify a tiny substance in a human body. I have no idea. His powers would have to be so precise to locate the metal in a humans body and then extract it. I think he might be able to, but he'd need a lot of concentration. 

It's just a theory  (: 

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb: its been proven that he can I'm just having a little trouble finding a scan cause he very rarely uses this ability
#16 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:  Oh, fair enough  XD   well, it depends what writer really I suppose? Some writers like to add feats like this in a one off ... then these feats are probably never seen again.   

But if you find the scan, let me know please, It'd be cool to see.  (: 
#17 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb:
I don't know if that's the reason because he was able to pull a metal bullet out of space, pull its trajectory toward Earth and get Kitty out
#18 Posted by DEGRAAF (7813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nefilim927 said:
"@Cherry Bomb: I don't know if that's the reason because he was able to pull a metal bullet out of space, pull its trajectory toward Earth and get Kitty out "
not to mention how far away it was from earth, then slow it down and lay it on earth with out damaging it or earth

@Cherry Bomb:
you would think it wouldnt take much precision, he would just have to create a strong enough polar attraction to pull it all out, now if he was going after one blood cell on it with a particular amount of iron in then that would need precision.
#19 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF:  Yeah it's weird how easy it is for him to do most of his feats. :/ 
#20 Posted by Icarusflies (12248 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Dr. Polaris has done things like that. 

#21 Posted by CATPANEXE (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe he doesnt prefer to? theres simpler methods for him to shut someone down. 
its kind of...nasty? more something Freddy Kruegar would be doing?
i know Polaris has held people by the metals in their blood. 
so he can, and as josh pointed out has given the right mood.

#22 Posted by Snickersss (253 posts) - - Show Bio

He did in the movies, but if he does that all the time in the comic books then that would make him waaaaay overpowered. Plus it is pretty nasty and not really Magneto's style. Plus I don't think there is a enough Iron and stuff inside an average human to do much damage. I read that some where online I'll have to find the link again.
#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@Snickersss: Actually there is quite a bit of iron in your body in fact iron is the reason that blood is red
#24 Posted by Snickersss (253 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:
Yeah I think you are right, but at least according to this site specifficaly the bottom of the page their is not enough iron to do what he has done in the movies and comics.  

Also Magneto controls electromagnetism not like just metal or something which is why he can make force fields. 
#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@Snickersss: He wouldn't actually have to use alot of his power to do it there are some magnets that actually exist that could do it to a human body and if Magneto has full control of EM feilds it shouldn't be to hard for him
#26 Posted by Snickersss (253 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:
Good point. It really is not his style though, it is also rather cheap. Although if Magneto were to go insane or be taken over by some demon I imagine that he would do it more often.  
Like "Oh hi humans you have iron in your blood right? "uuhh yes.. " Well then die!!"
#27 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@Snickersss said:
" @joshmightbe: Good point. It really is not his style though, it is also rather cheap. Although if Magneto were to go insane or be taken over by some demon I imagine that he would do it more often.  Like "Oh hi humans you have iron in your blood right? "uuhh yes.. " Well then die!!" "
literally laughing my ass off right now!  XD
#28 Posted by Snickersss (253 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb: 

AWESOME!!! :DDDD
#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio

There are plenty of characters who could cause blood baths if they felt like it, graviton could use gravity to tear a guy apart, storm could use air pressure to explode people's heads

#30 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he has stopped people by using the iron in their blood. But there's not really much use for him to use that power though, he has so many more effective ways of shutting his opponents down. He has given people strokes before, used his powers to stop mutants from accessing their mutant powers. The problem is that he doesn't show these powers on a regular basis but it's well within his capability to do so.

#31 Posted by notageek (86 posts) - - Show Bio
@Snickersss said:
" @joshmightbe: Good point. It really is not his style though, it is also rather cheap. Although if Magneto were to go insane or be taken over by some demon I imagine that he would do it more often.  Like "Oh hi humans you have iron in your blood right? "uuhh yes.. " Well then die!!" "
LMAO
#32 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
@notageek said:

" I dont understand this thing.Magneto powers make him a super magnet that can lift around 100 tons so why cant he kill humans by simply extracting all metal out of them? he can simply extract all iron out of our body and we will die because the haemoglobin in red blood cells is made out of iron and without it we won't be able to absorb oxygen "

I think the physical extraction of that amount of iron from the body would cause one to die from physical trauma long before the effects of oxygen starvation could kick in. It's not just haemoglobin, what about ferritin stores in the liver, or iron-containing enzymes, for example, catalase, or another transport protein, myoglobin?  

I think the problem would be with the strength of magnetic fields produced by the singular atoms of iron. Would the attraction between Magneto's forces be strong enough to overcome the bonding forces to iron in the body? The extraction of iron from the guard's blood in X2 worked because Mystique injected a large amount directly into his blood, leaving it unbonded and free in circulation before the liver could process it all.
#33 Posted by joshmightbe (24107 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine: He wouldn't necessarily have to separate the iron from anything he just needs a strong enough pull to attract it probably dragging what ever was attached to it with him
#34 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @John Valentine: He wouldn't necessarily have to separate the iron from anything he just needs a strong enough pull to attract it probably dragging what ever was attached to it with him "
Which would require him to move a larger molecular weight anyway.
#35 Posted by notageek (86 posts) - - Show Bio

i would like to get this 1 thing cleared first
magneto can attract any metal right? or can he attract  Iron, Nickel , Cobalt and their alloys only? adamantium can be pulled by magnets?
if he can attract any metal than he wont have problem attracting metals at atomic level as the effects of magnetic field won't be required

#36 Edited by rayn1984 (187 posts) - - Show Bio

In the video magneto was able to lift storm wolverince ad storm. Wolverine has adamantium in his body, buy storm and cycolps don't. This may prove that even the cartoon version acknowledge that magneto can manipulate ferrous things in our bloodstream.(or maybe even non-ferrous) But magneto killing someone in a gruesome death is kinda not Marvel's magneto way. Maybe if one of the writers become Japaneses, magneto will start demonstrating that capability.   
#37 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio
@rayn1984:
What do you mean, 'one of the writers becomes Japaneses'? 
<p> 
Personally, I think that maybe there's a pseudo-scientific law such as 'the oxygen corrupts it' or something. It may not be explicitly stated, but then the writers just adhere by some kind of principle to give Magneto some 'rules'. Which might also explain why they needed the iron in X2; it mightn't have been as corrupted and would have made it easier for him to extract it. Using pseudo-science (admit it; how can a man fly by using solar radiation from a yellow sun? That's pseudo-science, comics are full of it for the most part.)
#38 Posted by Squares (3157 posts) - - Show Bio
@umbrafeline:  He can and has.
I know Polaris, at least, has brought people to the brink of death by wielding her control over the iron in blood, and Magneto's done the same several times. If you really want me to, I'm sure I could probably cite that specifically.
#39 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares:
yes i want you to cite
#40 Posted by cennobite (364 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't kill Jean that was Xorn who was pretending to be him while under sublimes influence. 

#41 Posted by Iron_Turtle (579 posts) - - Show Bio

He has manipulated the iron in peoples blood in the past. One notable incident which stood out for me was against Rogue, where he took her out mid flight and effectively neutralized her Ms. Marvel powers.

#42 Posted by Queso6p4 (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

@Precise said:

Well, he has stopped people by using the iron in their blood. But there's not really much use for him to use that power though, he has so many more effective ways of shutting his opponents down. He has given people strokes before, used his powers to stop mutants from accessing their mutant powers. The problem is that he doesn't show these powers on a regular basis but it's well within his capability to do so.

Yes. Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 #304 and Magneto: Dark Seduction Vol 1 #3 ( stopping access to powers/immobilizing) are instances that come to mind off the top of my head. I'd have to look up him causing strokes.

@John Valentine said:

@joshmightbe said:
" @John Valentine: He wouldn't necessarily have to separate the iron from anything he just needs a strong enough pull to attract it probably dragging what ever was attached to it with him "
Which would require him to move a larger molecular weight anyway.

He can manipulate subatomic particles so this shouldn't be a problem, in theory. Classic X-Men Vol 1 #19

#43 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure lets make the super mutant who can start and stop the earth magnetic field even more powerful by being able to attract a substance from the human body that is barely detectable without some serious microscopes and computers imaging.

#44 Posted by Queso6p4 (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: Did you miss the part about subatomic control? Besides, there are far more OP characters and Magneto's never really written utilizing his full potential.

#45 Posted by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

My personal speculation might be because the iron is an ion, same reason he can't rip your calcium from your bones. It seem to me that most of the magnetic properties of metals come from metallic bonding where you have the "sea of electrons" so it's much easier to create a magnetic environment. On the other hand, the iron in the blood and the calcium in bones is a positive ion and has different properties to its non-ionic ilk. Same reason he can't manipulate table salt even though he could probably manipulate sodium.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.