Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5887 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

Why cant Magneto attract "haemoglobin"

notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By notageek

I dont understand this thing.Magneto powers make him a super magnet that can lift around 100 tons so why cant he kill humans by simply extracting all metal out of them? he can simply extract all iron out of our body and we will die because the haemoglobin in red blood cells is made out of iron and without it we won't be able to absorb oxygen

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By umbrafeline

hmm... excellent point. if he did that he would be no better than the nazi prison guards during ww2. he would never take a life. he would rather let somebody else do it

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF

Idk why but i thought he had done this before. I might just be thinking of when they put iron in to the guards in the movie and he pulled it out of their pores. That was pretty cool.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

He has done it before and wtf do you mean magneto wouldn't take a life he'd gladly kill someone who got in his was and has on numerous occasions 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe
    @DEGRAAF: no he did it to a few nazis in a one shot back in the 90s If any one has a scan itd be helpful
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @joshmightbe:
    i was thikning of this video below 

notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By notageek
    @joshmightbe: 
    really? when?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @notageek: I can't remember if it was a magneto one shot or an xmen issue but it was in the early 90s, It was a story dealing with Magneto's origins apparently seeing him rip the iron out of someones blood is what made his wife run away from him without telling him she was pregnant with wanda and pietro
    notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By notageek
    @DEGRAAF: 
    oo lala how can i forget that well atleast he did it in movies
    @joshmightbe:
    wow would love to see him do it

i guess the writer dont make him do it because of censorship issues
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @notageek: Ill try to find a scan of it I lost the actual issue in a house fire along with most of my collection a few years back
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By umbrafeline
    @joshmightbe:
    i mean he wouldnt kill another mutant [homo superior]. sorry.
    notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By notageek
    @joshmightbe: o that sux and goodluck with finding it
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe
    @umbrafeline: he technically killed jean grey 
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Cherry Bomb

You have a good point
    I'm just guessing, but maybe his powers aren't that ... specific enough to identify a tiny substance in a human body. I have no idea. His powers would have to be so precise to locate the metal in a humans body and then extract it. I think he might be able to, but he'd need a lot of concentration. 

It's just a theory  (: 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Cherry Bomb: its been proven that he can I'm just having a little trouble finding a scan cause he very rarely uses this ability
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @joshmightbe:  Oh, fair enough  XD   well, it depends what writer really I suppose? Some writers like to add feats like this in a one off ... then these feats are probably never seen again.   

But if you find the scan, let me know please, It'd be cool to see.  (: 
    Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Nefilim927
    @Cherry Bomb:
    I don't know if that's the reason because he was able to pull a metal bullet out of space, pull its trajectory toward Earth and get Kitty out
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Nefilim927 said:
    "@Cherry Bomb: I don't know if that's the reason because he was able to pull a metal bullet out of space, pull its trajectory toward Earth and get Kitty out "
    not to mention how far away it was from earth, then slow it down and lay it on earth with out damaging it or earth

@Cherry Bomb:
    you would think it wouldnt take much precision, he would just have to create a strong enough polar attraction to pull it all out, now if he was going after one blood cell on it with a particular amount of iron in then that would need precision.
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @DEGRAAF:  Yeah it's weird how easy it is for him to do most of his feats. :/ 
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I know Dr. Polaris has done things like that. 

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By CATPANEXE

maybe he doesnt prefer to? theres simpler methods for him to shut someone down. 
    its kind of...nasty? more something Freddy Kruegar would be doing?
    i know Polaris has held people by the metals in their blood. 
    so he can, and as josh pointed out has given the right mood.

Snickersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snickersss

He did in the movies, but if he does that all the time in the comic books then that would make him waaaaay overpowered. Plus it is pretty nasty and not really Magneto's style. Plus I don't think there is a enough Iron and stuff inside an average human to do much damage. I read that some where online I'll have to find the link again.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Snickersss: Actually there is quite a bit of iron in your body in fact iron is the reason that blood is red
    Snickersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snickersss
    @joshmightbe:
    Yeah I think you are right, but at least according to this site specifficaly the bottom of the page their is not enough iron to do what he has done in the movies and comics.  

Also Magneto controls electromagnetism not like just metal or something which is why he can make force fields. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Snickersss: He wouldn't actually have to use alot of his power to do it there are some magnets that actually exist that could do it to a human body and if Magneto has full control of EM feilds it shouldn't be to hard for him
    Snickersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Snickersss
    @joshmightbe:
    Good point. It really is not his style though, it is also rather cheap. Although if Magneto were to go insane or be taken over by some demon I imagine that he would do it more often.  
    Like "Oh hi humans you have iron in your blood right? "uuhh yes.. " Well then die!!"
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @Snickersss said:
    " @joshmightbe: Good point. It really is not his style though, it is also rather cheap. Although if Magneto were to go insane or be taken over by some demon I imagine that he would do it more often.  Like "Oh hi humans you have iron in your blood right? "uuhh yes.. " Well then die!!" "
    literally laughing my ass off right now!  XD
    Snickersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Snickersss
    @Cherry Bomb: 

AWESOME!!! :DDDD
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshmightbe

There are plenty of characters who could cause blood baths if they felt like it, graviton could use gravity to tear a guy apart, storm could use air pressure to explode people's heads

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Precise

Well, he has stopped people by using the iron in their blood. But there's not really much use for him to use that power though, he has so many more effective ways of shutting his opponents down. He has given people strokes before, used his powers to stop mutants from accessing their mutant powers. The problem is that he doesn't show these powers on a regular basis but it's well within his capability to do so.

notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By notageek
    @Snickersss said:
    " @joshmightbe: Good point. It really is not his style though, it is also rather cheap. Although if Magneto were to go insane or be taken over by some demon I imagine that he would do it more often.  Like "Oh hi humans you have iron in your blood right? "uuhh yes.. " Well then die!!" "
    LMAO
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By John Valentine
    @notageek said:

" I dont understand this thing.Magneto powers make him a super magnet that can lift around 100 tons so why cant he kill humans by simply extracting all metal out of them? he can simply extract all iron out of our body and we will die because the haemoglobin in red blood cells is made out of iron and without it we won't be able to absorb oxygen "

I think the physical extraction of that amount of iron from the body would cause one to die from physical trauma long before the effects of oxygen starvation could kick in. It's not just haemoglobin, what about ferritin stores in the liver, or iron-containing enzymes, for example, catalase, or another transport protein, myoglobin?  

I think the problem would be with the strength of magnetic fields produced by the singular atoms of iron. Would the attraction between Magneto's forces be strong enough to overcome the bonding forces to iron in the body? The extraction of iron from the guard's blood in X2 worked because Mystique injected a large amount directly into his blood, leaving it unbonded and free in circulation before the liver could process it all.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshmightbe
    @John Valentine: He wouldn't necessarily have to separate the iron from anything he just needs a strong enough pull to attract it probably dragging what ever was attached to it with him
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By John Valentine
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @John Valentine: He wouldn't necessarily have to separate the iron from anything he just needs a strong enough pull to attract it probably dragging what ever was attached to it with him "
    Which would require him to move a larger molecular weight anyway.
    notageek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By notageek

i would like to get this 1 thing cleared first
    magneto can attract any metal right? or can he attract  Iron, Nickel , Cobalt and their alloys only? adamantium can be pulled by magnets?
    if he can attract any metal than he wont have problem attracting metals at atomic level as the effects of magnetic field won't be required

rayn1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rayn1984

In the video magneto was able to lift storm wolverince ad storm. Wolverine has adamantium in his body, buy storm and cycolps don't. This may prove that even the cartoon version acknowledge that magneto can manipulate ferrous things in our bloodstream.(or maybe even non-ferrous) But magneto killing someone in a gruesome death is kinda not Marvel's magneto way. Maybe if one of the writers become Japaneses, magneto will start demonstrating that capability.   
    Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By darth_brendroid
    @rayn1984:
    What do you mean, 'one of the writers becomes Japaneses'? 
    <p> 
    Personally, I think that maybe there's a pseudo-scientific law such as 'the oxygen corrupts it' or something. It may not be explicitly stated, but then the writers just adhere by some kind of principle to give Magneto some 'rules'. Which might also explain why they needed the iron in X2; it mightn't have been as corrupted and would have made it easier for him to extract it. Using pseudo-science (admit it; how can a man fly by using solar radiation from a yellow sun? That's pseudo-science, comics are full of it for the most part.)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@umbrafeline:  He can and has.
    I know Polaris, at least, has brought people to the brink of death by wielding her control over the iron in blood, and Magneto's done the same several times. If you really want me to, I'm sure I could probably cite that specifically.
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By umbrafeline
    @Squares:
    yes i want you to cite
    cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cennobite

He didn't kill Jean that was Xorn who was pretending to be him while under sublimes influence. 

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Iron_Turtle

He has manipulated the iron in peoples blood in the past. One notable incident which stood out for me was against Rogue, where he took her out mid flight and effectively neutralized her Ms. Marvel powers.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#42  Edited By Queso6p4

@Precise said:

Well, he has stopped people by using the iron in their blood. But there's not really much use for him to use that power though, he has so many more effective ways of shutting his opponents down. He has given people strokes before, used his powers to stop mutants from accessing their mutant powers. The problem is that he doesn't show these powers on a regular basis but it's well within his capability to do so.

Yes. Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 #304 and Magneto: Dark Seduction Vol 1 #3 ( stopping access to powers/immobilizing) are instances that come to mind off the top of my head. I'd have to look up him causing strokes.

@John Valentine said:

@joshmightbe said:
    " @John Valentine: He wouldn't necessarily have to separate the iron from anything he just needs a strong enough pull to attract it probably dragging what ever was attached to it with him "
    Which would require him to move a larger molecular weight anyway.

He can manipulate subatomic particles so this shouldn't be a problem, in theory. Classic X-Men Vol 1 #19

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Sure lets make the super mutant who can start and stop the earth magnetic field even more powerful by being able to attract a substance from the human body that is barely detectable without some serious microscopes and computers imaging.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#44  Edited By Queso6p4

@Nova`Prime`: Did you miss the part about subatomic control? Besides, there are far more OP characters and Magneto's never really written utilizing his full potential.

cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By cellot

My personal speculation might be because the iron is an ion, same reason he can't rip your calcium from your bones. It seem to me that most of the magnetic properties of metals come from metallic bonding where you have the "sea of electrons" so it's much easier to create a magnetic environment. On the other hand, the iron in the blood and the calcium in bones is a positive ion and has different properties to its non-ionic ilk. Same reason he can't manipulate table salt even though he could probably manipulate sodium.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.