Magneto's Costume

#2 Posted by War Killer (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I've always liked the Ultimate look...

Earth-1610 Ultimate
#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always loved his classic look, but I wouldn't mind a change. Just as long as he doesn't wear the 80's costume again, I'll be alright.  

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

He's always had a strange tate in fashion for an old guy... but nothing makes him look younger than having a nubile Southern 20-something girl stuck to his lips.

New Avengers #12 X-Men Evolutions Variant
#5 Edited by MydLyfeCrysis (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely love me some classic Magneto. I think the classic red and purple looks great. But, there is something to be said about it's marketability, say, for cinema. With that said, if there were a redesign, I'm wary, but open to the idea. The fact is, while Magneto is still one of my favorite all time characters, that classic outfit screams early 90's and not always in the best way. There have been more modern and realistic spins, like the Ultimate Mags seen above, that I think work quite well. So long as a new getup would maintain the personality of the original Magneto, I'd be down for a change.

Personally, if we are stating favorites, "Age of Apocalypse" Magneto was the most dramatic, and most sinister looking. I loved it. It really conveyed a sense of powerful, conniving, genius.

#6 Posted by SC (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd really like if he went for just wearing a grey suit with a red shirt. Sort of like he did late 80's I think? His Headmaster/New Mutants/Hellfire Club days, casual alternative dress. I would like his charisma and intelligence to be emphasized more, him and Xavier should be written more like Vertigo characters. 

#8 Posted by -Eclipse- (7503 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about his purple underwear... Seriously, people complain about Superman's red undies ALL the time, but no-one minds Magneto wearing them? The colour scheme is great, but really the red cape and helmet are what make him recognizable. See?

#9 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
I like how he looks. I don't want him to change it.
#11 Posted by IrishX (2262 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse- said:
I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about his purple underwear... Seriously, people complain about Superman's red undies ALL the time, but no-one minds Magneto wearing them? The colour scheme is great, but really the red cape and helmet are what make him recognizable. See?

This is the best outfit for him. He should always wear red.....  "I wear red, the color of blood, in tribute to their lost lives. And the harder I try to cast it aside, to find the gentler path, the more irresistibly I am drawn back." - Magneto
#12 Posted by Icon (2050 posts) - - Show Bio

@IrishX said:

@-Eclipse- said:
I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about his purple underwear... Seriously, people complain about Superman's red undies ALL the time, but no-one minds Magneto wearing them? The colour scheme is great, but really the red cape and helmet are what make him recognizable. See?

This is the best outfit for him. He should always wear red..... "I wear red, the color of blood, in tribute to their lost lives. And the harder I try to cast it aside, to find the gentler path, the more irresistibly I am drawn back." - Magneto

This :]

#13 Posted by VickyVons (232 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic Magnetic Regalia

Classic All the way, no need for change
#14 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the heavy red coat:  

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to beat Magneto's classic suit, especially when Jim Lee drew him in it.

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

@AngelDust616 said:

@PowerHerc: Jim Lee could always draw the X-Men best.

I have to agree because there is just no way to argue against this.

#19 Posted by IrishX (2262 posts) - - Show Bio
Another example of his best outfit.
#20 Posted by Alladin Sane (55 posts) - - Show Bio

He definitely should never rock this costume again,

Amazing Adventures #9
Strangely the artist seems to have given him the Black Widow oval belt thing,....
#22 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alladin Sane: Damn! That costume sucks!

#23 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, honestly...  And this question is for everyone... Even if you were one of the most powerful beings on the planet, would you REALLY wear bright red bikini underwear outside your clothes?  I absolutely don't get that... Not only is it not functional, it looks STUPID...  I don't care how powerful you are.  Geez, you can keep the dorky helmet and the flamboyant colors but PLEASE stop with the underwear on the outside thing...  Or at least, switch to boxers...

#24 Posted by Japeto (115 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his Age of X outfit it's awesome and his helmet looks great, you just have to see this pic to realise this is the best costume ever!

#25 Posted by Ultimate_Riddler (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is an old thread, but I saw no reason to post a new one when the topic had already been discussed. I like his "traditional" look, but like others have said I would like it if he would ditch the underwear. It looks ridiculous even when the rest of the outfit is wonderful and imposing. I don't know why, but I most like it when his helmet hides his face and his cape is prodigious - like his AoA look.

For a short time the Ultimate Magneto's costume looked very similar to AoA's, and I found myself impressed with that look all the same.

#26 Posted by Misterkyle91 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to lose the undies like superman did. The classic look is fine besides that.

#27 Edited by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, lose the metalic looking outside underwear on Magneto! They look like freaking diapers.

#28 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Classic Magnetic Regalia

@PowerHerc said:

It's hard to beat Magneto's classic suit, especially when Jim Lee drew him in it.

#29 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the original costume, but he needs to lose the trunks. Maybe something like this.

#30 Posted by drgnx (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: I like, but they could probably add some sort of purple design running down the sides.

#31 Posted by micahparadise (480 posts) - - Show Bio

There is really something regal about this design. and i think with Magnetos power set and His ego and His philosophy, he should either wear a costume that denotes Mutant royalty or mutant military terrorist.

Though something doesnt work for me with this costume, something does. i think it may be the white design. I love Magneto in white. It takes me back to his white king days..again something that works with his ego.

#32 Edited by Alak (920 posts) - - Show Bio

@micahparadise: I agree with you, he looks pretty awesome in white. I'm not a fan of the sleeveless design, but it doesn't detract much from his presence on panel. I hope he keeps this look for a while.

#33 Posted by PowerPlug (1326 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually really like his current design with the trench coat. I'd usually say that trench coats are too dramatic but it fits as a suitable replacement to a cape.

I've also always kind of liked his age of x knight(ish) armor.

The classic suit is great too depending on the artist.

#34 Posted by numi (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I am really loving his look in his new solo book. No costume, just him being a bad ass in street clothes. It's much more about his presence, his attitude. Like I said, I'm loving it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.