Magneto seems a little less versatile in UXM

#1 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone notice how in last issue he stated that with no metallic items around there wasn't much he could do? He had to use his helmet in order to attack an enemy.

Yes i did read where he wrote he could have brought a car from the other side of the state...but what happened to his blast power? and his damn force fields? Why has he all of a sudden lost these abilities?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the world of inconsistent writing. I'll be your tour guide through this magical land.

Oops, it's not a "land" anymore. It's a space station.

And I'm not your tour guide. I'm a horse.

Rides off into the sunset.

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

It's so he doesn't solo everything, Magneto really doesn't need a team half the time so writers power him down. I like him in UXM so if they have to do that to keep him around I'm not complaining

Online
#4 Posted by DarkChris (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen writes a really great Mags. He is dynamic, cares for his fellow mutants and with a very small potential for evil. Maybe Gillen is retconning his powers????? To power him down just for AvX (if it's something like that, I'm sure it's Marvel's decision).

#5 Posted by jhazzroucher (15046 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Anyone notice how in last issue he stated that with no metallic items around there wasn't much he could do? He had to use his helmet in order to attack an enemy.

Yes i did read where he wrote he could have brought a car from the other side of the state...but what happened to his blast power? and his damn force fields? Why has he all of a sudden lost these abilities?

I am loving your avy. My avy and your avy would look cute together. : )

as for your question, prolly because he is now a hero.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Ivy got it right.

/thread

#7 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

To stop him soloing most foes

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Ivy got it right.

/thread

#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Ivy got it right.

/thread

What...?

*Reads comments*

@InnerVenom123 said:

Welcome to the world of inconsistent writing. I'll be your tour guide through this magical land.

Oops, it's not a "land" anymore. It's a space station.

And I'm not your tour guide. I'm a horse.

Rides off into the sunset.

....

I'm a genius.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: No, but you're admittedly close.

#11 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- It's what happens when you take a long time team-killer like Mags and make him part of a team book

- You have to come up with stupid reasons why he does not just do the job himself and leave the peons back at home

#12 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought this too actually when I read that issue.

Maybe we're just overrating his powers.I think his helmet being thrown fast is much more powerful then his blast powers.

#13 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

i thought this too actually when I read that issue.

Maybe we're just overrating his powers.I think his helmet being thrown fast is much more powerful then his blast powers.

Idk...i've seen his power blasts shoot though mountains and multiple steel walls...I don't think I have seen him use an energy blast since this new series began...or a shield.

#14 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

At the time, Erik and Besty were fighting The World's equivalent to Dr Doom/Iron Man in a super-powered tech suit that enabled him to combat both of their abilities. Sure, Magneto could have done many other things, but I think dismantling his helmet and using it as nano-shrapnel was the quickest thing to do in that situation. In the following panels, Magneto then went on to describe what else he could have done in that situation

Gillen has a great grasp on Magneto as a character. Clearly writes him as a force to be reckoned with:

  • Unit stated that Magneto is the most powerful member of the X-Tinction team.
  • In Uncanny X-Men 534.1, Gillen had Magneto stabilize the Earth's mantle, as well as all the metal above ground, to save San Francisco from an Earthquake.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.