Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5894 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

Magneto, murderer?

StarjackerSeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By StarjackerSeth

Alright, so I havn't read THAT many X-men comics.

But will Magneto himself, slaughter other mutants? I mean, KILL them in a fight.

The reason I'm asking is because he dosn't hate mutants, he hates humans.

So I'm wondering if he ever actually killed, any mutants.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Pania

Yes, Magneto has killed mutants. He tried to kill Kitty Pryde in Uncanny #150 (an act which he immediately regretted because she was a child, not because he had killed someone). He executed an Acolyte (Senyaka) from disobeying him and attacking a human hospice in Fatal Attractions. In that same arc he tried to kill Wolverine (about time too) and Quicksilver. He also slew two member of the Neo sent to kill him at the beginning of the Eve of Destruction Story arc. He killed his own son in House of M.

There are more, I'd just have to take some time to compile them.

Magneto had no issues removing anyone who stood in the way of his goals, by death if necessary.

Post Edited:2008-03-27 19:00:56

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Darkchild

StarjackerSeth says:

"Alright, so I havn't read THAT many X-men comics.But will Magneto himself, slaughter other mutants? I mean, KILL them in a fight.The reason I'm asking is because he dosn't hate mutants, he hates humans.So I'm wondering if he ever actually killed, any mutants."

he has no problem killing those he sees that are against the preservation of Mutantkind

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pania

Gambler says:

"All depends. Sometimes he's written as a pure villain, sometimes he's misunderstood, sometimes he's a freedom fighter. I mean he's all over the place. But the short simple answer is yes. He killed his own son in House of M, and killed Apoc in Age of Apocalpyse. He tried to kill Wolverine (or at least didn't care if he did) when he ripped the Adamantium from his body."

Which given the number of time Logan had tried and damn near succeeded, to eviscerate Magneto, I don't know why Logan took that so damn personally. It like if you try and kill someone, you really shouldn't get so offended when they try to kill you back.

But yes, Magneto is a polarizing figures not only in the fanbase, but in the Marvel offices, characterization is very inconsistent. But there are some constants and there is a way to wrap it all up in one package.

It's about three pages of psycho-babble to do it, but I've done it.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pania

Gambler says:

**Edit:** Pania beat me to it :p He killed Joesph to :D
    Post Edited:2008-03-27 19:06:20"

He tried, but Joseph actually died rebuilding the Earth EM field.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By The_Ghostshell

All depends. Sometimes he's written as a pure villain, sometimes he's misunderstood, sometimes he's a freedom fighter. I mean he's all over the place. But the short simple answer is yes. He killed his own son in House of M, and killed Apoc in Age of Apocalypse. He tried to kill Wolverine (or at least didn't care if he did) when he ripped the Adamantium from his body.

Edit: Pania beat me to it :p He killed Joesph to :D
    Post Edited:2008-03-27 19:06:20

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By IcePrince_X

He is a murderer.

And whether if he killed a human or mutant, it is still murder. In Fatal Attraction he killed hundred of thousands when he manipulated the Earth's electromagnetic field. In a way, I can not come into terms why he can still be considered good after recalling those actions.

It would have been better if they just let Joseph, clone of Magneto, be the next Magneto and not the older one.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#8  Edited By EganTheVile1

StarjackerSeth says:

"Alright, so I havn't read THAT many X-men comics. But will Magneto himself, slaughter other mutants? I mean, KILL them in a fight. The reason I'm asking is because he dosn't hate mutants, he hates humans. So I'm wondering if he ever actually killed, any mutants."
    he ripped the adamantium from Wolverine's bones and the cybernetics from Cable's body, you tell me...
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pania

IcePrince_X says:

"He is a murderer.And whether if he killed a human or mutant, it is still murder. In Fatal Attraction he killed hundred of thousands when he manipulated the Earth's electromagnetic field. In a way, I can not come into terms why he can still be considered good after recalling those actions."

The same way the U.S. can still be considered "good" after nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

It was an act of war. The U.N. put up a blockcade, declaring war. Magneto gave it to them. It was not a proportional response, but he did not start that fight.

For true mass murder, you have to go much back further in Magneto history, to when he killed the mob that kept him from saving his daughter's life. It was understandable, and he was completely sympathetic in that moment, but it was mass murder. And during the Silver Age he left a nuclear bomb behind a couple times when the X-Men foiled his schemes. Had he been successful, that would have been mass murder.

But sinking the Russian Sub, the EMP in Fatal Attractions, bringing the mountain down on Carrion Bay in Dark Seductions, those were all acts of war during declared states of war.

As for Joesph, he would have been a nice re-boot on Magneto...had they not completely destroyed the character by trying to attach him to Rogue. The only way to make that relationship work was either for Rogue to fade into Magneto shadow (as she did in AoA) or for Magneto to have his testicular fortitude removed, as Joseph so obviously had.

Had they not tried so hard to make that work, had they simply introduced Joseph by himself and let him be Magnus without the issues, it might have worked. It looked pretty good when they first introduced in in "If Sins Be Forgiven". It was Magnus as a blank slate.

But then they immediately attached Joseph to Rogue's hip and he remained so though most of his existence on panel as she walked all over him. He was so spinelesss compared to what Magneto is, the fanbase couldn't stand it. They rebelled and Joseph was quickly shuffled off screen.

Post Edited:2008-03-28 11:34:52

winters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably thousands of men. He seems gentler with women and kids. Wolverine has killed more people than magneto, so has hulk. Hulk killed kids during john byrnes run.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daddy gets rough when he needs to.

Avatar image for bowlt_swagg_320
    bowlt_swagg_320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

He has his share

FireKnight12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FireKnight12

Excluding silver age where he was more like generic villain, killing fellow mutant seems out of character, I think the only mutants he can kill are should be the dangerous ones that threatened the lives of other mutants like apoc and sabertooth

Johan1963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Magneto has killed many people, including mutants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.