Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5894 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

Is Magneto a racist monster?

• 176 results
    OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By OhTru

Is he racist = hell yeah

Is he a monster - I dunno he experienced the Jewish extermination camps which probably left his mind pretty messed up and he experienced anti-mutant hate and he does what he does to save his own people
    His methods are extreme but there are reasons behind his madness, he's not just a one dimensional villain. From some perspectives he might even seem a little heroic to some mutants

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By John Valentine
    @ECH2007 said:
    "

The funny part of this debate is both sides are right.

Magneto is written by a racist monster in some venues and by some writers. Just read the Ultimate line, watch the X-Men films, or read Lobdell or Morrison's comic versions of Magneto.

At the same time Claremont and other writers have written a different version of Magneto that doesn't hate humans and is simply fighting to protect his race from abuse and potental genocide.

"
    @ECH2007 said:
    "

One writers Magneto goes into a burning building to save human women and children from burning alive. (Claremont)

Another writers Magneto herds women and children by the thousands into ovens in New York City. (Morrison)

That shows the level of seperation that exists about what makes Magneto tick amoung the writers. And, from this thread it appears that I was right the same level of seperation exists amoung the fans.

"
    Golden answer.
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Of course, he is ! 

Think about it : He just become what he fear the most to protect himself and those he think he would protect by that.  

African are judged poorly by many people, but African can be rascist nontheless if they hate all other people indiscrimnately. 

It works with every category of human being you can find on earth : Jew, Asian, Caucasian, African, overweight, blind, Muslim Christian, Pagan or other; it doesn't really matter : by the point you make a global moral judgement by a physical criteria uncontrolled by someone : you're rascist, just face it.  

The only way you can judge people is ONE AT THE TIME !   
    glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By glforthewin
    @Edamame: uhhuh becasue he thinks that what he's doing is right
    Britt601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By Britt601
    @Gambler:
    That's an interesting observation. I agree
    Avatar image for magnetowasright
    MagnetoWasRight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By MagnetoWasRight

His responses to his past oppression have, yes, become the very thing that he hated. 
    He's absolutely a racist. It's evolved, however, in response to his past.  

It's understandable. Whether it's correct or not, however, is highly debatable.  
    His views have also been dealt with differently by different writers. 

Beast put it well when he defined Magneto as eternally conflicted. 
    Magneto wants to protect others from what he went through, no matter what. 
    Erik (Max, Magnus, whatever) realizes the contradiction.

Please ignore my name, at the moment.

rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By rbysjti

I don't think he is. I believe he just have a different principle which other people would misinterpret.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#160  Edited By John Valentine
    @rbysjti said:
    " I don't think he is. I believe he just have a different principle which other people would misinterpret. "
    Wonderful insight. 
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

isnt he a Prejudice Monster? not a Racist One...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Oceana said:
    "

Of course he is.

"
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think he's racist and perhaps used to be a monster but he's really tried to atone lately.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Green Skin

Saying he's a racist  is just utterly stupid.   You can't use the word 'race' to describe different skin colors, and also use it to describe all homo sapiens.  They are 2 totally different meanings.
    It's more like he's a 'speciesist'. 

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Green Skin said:
    " Saying he's a racist  is just utterly stupid.   You can't use the word 'race' to describe different skin colors, and also use it to describe all homo sapiens.  They are 2 totally different meanings. It's more like he's a 'speciesist'.  "
    Mutants aren't really a different species from humans though. For all intents and purposes they are humans that have a different gene. If they really were different species then humans and mutants wouldn't be able to reproduce with each other.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Green Skin
    @PrinceIMC  

Technically mutants are a  sub-species.  If different species cannot reproduce with each other how do you explain donkeys? Or ligers? Or marozi? Or leopons?  Or doglas? Or pumapards?

@Edamame said:

I'm aware that it says race.  I used the word species to draw a distinction between the 2 ways that the word 'race' is being used.  I'm aware that mutants are human, but they are different enough to be considered a subspecies.

Let me revise my point.  Race can refer to ethnicity, or in Magneto's case, genetics.  So yes, Magneto is a genetic racist.  While people like KKK or Nazis are ethnic racists.  I just don't like the idea of grouping him into the same category as those kinds of people. There is a distinction between the two types that should be noted.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Green Skin: Sorry what I meant to say is that they couldn't reproduce with each other and create fertile offspring. As for donkeys they're a species, horses are a species, if they breed together you get a mule that can't reproduce with a donkey, a horse or another mule. If a human mated with a mutant you could get a human or a mutant, if two humans mated you could get a human or a mutant, even if two mutants mated you could get a human or a mutant as a result. Technically humans are classified as Homo Sapiens Sapiens while mutants are Homo Sapiens Superior.

Race can be a synonym for subspecies and you're agreeing that a mutants and humans could be considered different races. You just don't like the idea of grouping him with Nazis or the KKK. I really don't see the distinction.
    Boneapart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Boneapart
    @Hawk: that is complety wrong
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By NightFang3

He's a racist but that's really not he's fault, it's those damn Nazi's who made him that way.

Boneapart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Boneapart

he is racist, but he isnt a monster because he wishes no harm to mankind. the world he seeks to create is a unified world with segregated with mutants incharge, but for the beterment of all mankind and mutantkind. a world were there is no war and no starvation were most importantly humans cant hurt mutants 
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

He's a speciesist and a monster.

WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By WoundingFactor

If by "racist" you mean he's been depicted as hating a group of people solely for their genetics, and by "monster" you mean he's killed such people even when they weren't a threat to him or "his people", then yes, he's a racist monster. Or at least, was at some point. Is it realistic to have him portrayed as not being one now? I dunno. Whatever he is now, once upon a time, he was a man with a god complex who didn't shrink from the deed of marooning a bunch of astronauts to die in space just because they were born human. Was he shaped by the events of his childhood into such a monster? Perhaps, but he's still a thinking individual capable of making his own choices, and owning responsibility for his own actions.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#177  Edited By Gambit1024

Even IF he's considered to be racist, can you blame him? 

I mean one, if I could do what he could do, I'd consider myself to be superior to the average man,and two, he grew up during the friggin Holocaust. If he's racist, I think he's got a good reason to be.  

But that's just me.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#178  Edited By Dracade102

a Racist Holocaust Survivor? I believe it
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Mutant God

He likes some humans

WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By WoundingFactor
    @Edamame: Oh, I agree completely. However, there's something sad about pointing at one Marvel character and saying "at least he's not Apocalypse".

That said, I wonder if Apocalypse can be fairly regarded as a racist (he's unquestionably a monster), given that his credo is basically "kill the weak". This does not necessarily mean that he kills only humans, or thinks that all humans are weak (super-powered humans, for example). Heck, he's even elevated non-mutants to let them serve him if he thought them "worthy". I know this was kinda unrelated, but I saw your comment about it earlier, and it got me thinking.
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Mutant God

Magneto had has human love interest before, Magda, Lee Forrester and I think he accepts Kavito Rao being on Utopia.

Earthfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Earthfall

Its complicated, considering his background. But in its simplicity, yes. He is a racist.

WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By WoundingFactor
    @Edamame: The Hulk was War for a time, as was the Shi'ar known as Deathbird, and Ahab became famine as well. He also selected former mutants Polaris and Gazer as his horsemen. Additionally, despite his vine entry, the Harbinger of Apocalypse is never mentioned as a mutant in the appearances he makes. That's what I like about Apocalypse: he's an equal opportunity employer
    WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By WoundingFactor
    @Edamame: Honestly, ever since Age of Apocalypse, I've been waiting to see the non-alternate Apocalypse reprogram some Sentinels and whatnot to serve his own ends. Now that I think about it though, I don't think he's made much use of creatures that aren't at least partially biological. For a guy with advanced technology at his disposal, I've always been kind of surprised at the lack of, well, robot armies. But then, maybe that's just part of his focus on the struggle of living things to live and grow.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.