Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5894 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

Is Magneto a racist monster?

• 176 results
    ECH2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By ECH2007

The funny part of this debate is both sides are right.

Magneto is written by a racist monster in some venues and by some writers. Just read the Ultimate line, watch the X-Men films, or read Lobdell or Morrison's comic versions of Magneto.

At the same time Claremont and other writers have written a different version of Magneto that doesn't hate humans and is simply fighting to protect his race from abuse and potental genocide.

ECH2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By ECH2007

One writers Magneto goes into a burning building to save human women and children from burning alive. (Claremont)

Another writers Magneto herds women and children by the thousands into ovens in New York City. (Morrison)

That shows the level of seperation that exists about what makes Magneto tick amoung the writers. And, from this thread it appears that I was right the same level of seperation exists amoung the fans.

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By kuchiku

um were talking about is he racist in genral were not really talking about what youre talking about

Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Eternus

wouldnt it depend on what your considering racist as? if you mean racist as in he hates humans. then yeah he is, cuz he thinks hes better. hes not racist towards a certain group of people like African or Chinese people.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105  Edited By Phorqe

Some times he is racist, sometimes not. If he were really racist and has the immense power that he has, he would be killing humans constantly out of sheer hatred for them. He has killed humans, or merely decided to not help them live, but it is not his life's ambition. He was a pretty two-dimensional character when he first appeared, trying to hijack nukes to destroy the humans, but has evolved into a very layered character. At times he is at war, sometimes he merely wants to be left alone. He's tried the segregation approach, which is rather racist if you look at it from the black/white 60's movements, but mutants don't have anyone sticking up for them at all. I think there is only one pro-mutant human coalition while there is like a half dozen anti-mutant groups. Magneto and Xavier are trying to carry the weight of their people on their backs, trying to give them some gleam or hope or purpose in the violent sea of chaos that is reality. He's tried doing things Xavier's way and it didn't work out for him, so he found a different way. I see him more of a mutant patriot than a racist. For me racist has always had ties to ignorance, and he is not ignorant, just stubborn, angry and passionate.

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By kuchiku

Eternus says:

"wouldnt it depend on what your considering racist as? if you mean racist as in he hates humans. then yeah he is, cuz he thinks hes better. hes not racist towards a certain group of people like African or Chinese people."

he doesnt think hes better he thinks mutants all mutants are supierior

Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Eternus

kuchiku says:

"he doesnt think hes better he thinks mutants all mutants are supierior"

Which is pretty much what i said

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By kuchiku

Eternus says:

"kuchiku says:
    "he doesnt think hes better he thinks mutants all mutants are supierior"
    Which is pretty much what i said"

not really and they kinda are supirior

Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Eternus

i didn't say mutants weren't stronger. and yes thats what i did say, He thinks mutants are superior so he therefor thinks he is superior

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By kuchiku

Eternus says:

"i didn't say mutants weren't stronger. and yes thats what i did say, He thinks mutants are superior so he therefor thinks he is superior"

well i guess but then so do the x-men proffesor x never said mutants werent supirior he just said he wanted to coexiste with them

Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Eternus

kuchiku says:

"well i guess but then so do the x-men proffesor x never said mutants werent supirior he just said he wanted to coexiste with them"

magneto and mostly only the people that follow him believe mutants are better. the x-men and Xavier are one of the exceptions. im not what you were trying to say with that but i think i answered that.

Eternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Eternus

Colt Python says:

"Seriously though if Magnus is racist...who really cares? Does it matter? Is he even alive?"

no he isnt real, but thats the whole purpose of the website. to debate and discuss what isn't real and what will most likely never happen. thats all this is, a big debate. and only those who care should talk about it.
    Post Edited:2008-01-06 02:21:04

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By kuchiku

Colt Python says:

"Eternus says:
    "Colt Python says:
    "Seriously though if Magnus is racist...who really cares? Does it matter? Is he even alive?"
    no he isnt real, but thats the whole purpose of the website. to debate and discuss what isn't real and what will most likely never happen. thats all this is, a big debate. and only those who care should talk about it.
    Post Edited:2008-01-06 02:21:04"
    WTF are you talkin about?"

yeah seriosly wtf are you takin about

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By kuchiku

White Martian says:

"He is such a racist b@st@rd:P"

maggs is not racist

White Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By White Martian

He is such a racist b@st@rd:P

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By kuchiku

Colt Python says:

"kuchiku says:
    "White Martian says:
    maggs is not racist"
    yea he is.He hates you humans.You know he does.He says it all the time."

you humans??

im no human im a mutant/god/eternal

Avatar image for canadianwolverine
    CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be pretty obvious what he is talking about. Comic books, art, fiction, and this website. If that doesn't add up for you as a place to ramble on with conjecture and brain storming, with a touch of logic thrown into the mix, I don't know what can possibly help you but time spent down the road of hard lessons learned the hard way aka School of Hard Knocks.

With regards to Magneto being a racist, I've always found his approach to be something like the Israeli assassins in the movie Munich, which was loosely based on actual events that took place after Israeli athletes were killed at the Olympics.

Magneto takes the fight to those who seek to enslave and abuse mutants. Sometimes he crosses the line into being what he is fighting against. That's the danger Xavier recognized in trying to fight fire with fire like that, so instead Xavier tried to put together some fire men aka the X-men. It doesn't make Magneto a racist, it makes him flawed. Though, if there weren't people to take the fight to Hitler's Germany, what would that have meant? What would a Marvel universe be like if Magneto wasn't trying to get ready to fight things like the Weapon program (Wolverine, X-23, etc) where mutants get experimented on to find ways to control them. Sure, Magneto isn't innocent, but would the Marvel universe be better off if Genosha was still enslaving mutants?

Its a tough call, like was already observed, sometimes Magneto is written full on diabolical hate mongering, genome discriminating racist and other times freedom fighter loving, slave freeing, misunderstood super hero.

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By kuchiku

Colt Python says:

"kuchiku says:
    "Colt Python says:
    "kuchiku says:
    "White Martian says:
    maggs is not racist"
    yea he is.He hates you humans.You know he does.He says it all the time."
    you humans?? im no human im a mutant/god/eternal"
    No your human.Don't pretend to be stuff.That's lame and unbecoming of a lady."

sure little miss alba

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Andferne

I would say he is against any Non-mutants.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#120  Edited By The_Ghostshell

CanadianWolverine says:

"It should be pretty obvious what he is talking about. Comic books, art, fiction, and this website. If that doesn't add up for you as a place to ramble on with conjecture and brain storming, with a touch of logic thrown into the mix, I don't know what can possibly help you but time spent down the road of hard lessons learned the hard way aka School of Hard Knocks.With regards to Magneto being a racist, I've always found his approach to be something like the Israeli assassins in the movie Munich, which was loosely based on actual events that took place after Israeli athletes were killed at the Olympics.Magneto takes the fight to those who seek to enslave and abuse mutants. Sometimes he crosses the line into being what he is fighting against. That's the danger Xavier recognized in trying to fight fire with fire like that, so instead Xavier tried to put together some fire men aka the X-men. It doesn't make Magneto a racist, it makes him flawed. Though, if there weren't people to take the fight to Hitler's Germany, what would that have meant? What would a Marvel universe be like if Magneto wasn't trying to get ready to fight things like the Weapon program (Wolverine, X-23, etc) where mutants get experimented on to find ways to control them. Sure, Magneto isn't innocent, but would the Marvel universe be better off if Genosha was still enslaving mutants?Its a tough call, like was already observed, sometimes Magneto is written full on diabolical hate mongering, genome discriminating racist and other times freedom fighter loving, slave freeing, misunderstood super hero."

Nice post.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Well Said indeed thanks Canadian Wolverine

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Oh and Bloody Hell no hes not

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I dont know, I've gone back and forth on this one.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#124  Edited By Darkchild

i still believe he isnt a Racist

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Gambler says:

"I dont know, I've gone back and forth on this one."

You could call him racist sure but for me its more then just that

In some comics he does come off very racist but Majority its more about protecting his own people by any means.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Darkchild

Colt Python says:

"Darkchild says:
    "i still believe he isnt a Racist"

why?"

sighs

same reasons i stated last night.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Hes not a racist he hates everyone equally

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Darkchild

lol

i dont believe hes a racist. He just hates humans, a human could be green for all we care and he would still hate them. Being a racist means he would hate a race of people black, white, asian, mexican.

but im gonna get going and watch the giants get pummeled. And i dont want to continue this, i dont feel like feeling like an ass for my opinions again like i did last night.

so peace

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Mighty Magneto

If the question is

Is Magneto a Racist?

I would like to ask a question myself is it wrong for you to hate those which kill your family?

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Humans are a race

But being racist means to act upon prejudice

Prejudging someone or something before you really know them. I would say Magneto has knowledge of the ones he hates its not him being racist its just him hating those who threaten his own kind. So many people misuse Racism in the media that people really don't know what it means anymore.

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Gambler says:

"Mighty Magneto says:
    "Gambler says:

In some comics he does come off very racist but Majority its more about protecting his own people by any means."

Thats why I'm on the fence. I think on the surface, he's a racist. I understand that he was wronged and all that. Like I said last night, racist aren't born, there made. Either through life experiences, or teachings. There's no denying Magneto HATES the human race. He sees them as a threat, in order for his race (Mutants) to survive, humans must be eradicated. Not just mutant hating humans, but ALL humans. He's lumped them in all together. I still believe the similarities to Malcolm X and Marten Luther King Jr. are great examples of Xavier and Magneto.

Xavier (MLK Jr.) believes it is possible for Humans and Mutants to co-exist (Whites and Blacks) he's devoted his life to it. He doesn't make a sweeping generalization about humans.

Magneto (Malcolm X) Believes the only way for mutants to ever be free from Sentinel creating, Evangelical Hate preaching humans, is to wipe them out. Its a militant stance, kill them before they kill us. Alot of people can sympathies with Magneto and what he's been through, but it doesn't mean he isn't a racist. "

Made that same comparison myself sure many have

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Mighty Magneto says:

"Gambler says:

In some comics he does come off very racist but Majority its more about protecting his own people by any means."

Thats why I'm on the fence. I think on the surface, he's a racist. I understand that he was wronged and all that. Like I said last night, racist aren't born, there made. Either through life experiences, or teachings. There's no denying Magneto HATES the human race. He sees them as a threat, in order for his race (Mutants) to survive, humans must be eradicated. Not just mutant hating humans, but ALL humans. He's lumped them in all together. I still believe the similarities to Malcolm X and Marten Luther King Jr. are great examples of Xavier and Magneto.

Xavier (MLK Jr.) believes it is possible for Humans and Mutants to co-exist (Whites and Blacks) he's devoted his life to it. He doesn't make a sweeping generalization about humans.

Magneto (Malcolm X) Believes the only way for mutants to ever be free from Sentinel creating, Evangelical Hate preaching humans, is to wipe them out. Its a militant stance, kill them before they kill us. Alot of people can sympathies with Magneto and what he's been through, but it doesn't mean he isn't a racist.

Avatar image for canadianwolverine
    CanadianWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consider this, what did the future hold when the Sentinels were told to take out mutants? Didn't "humans" as they have been called end up getting put in the camps too?

Being a mutant doesn't mean they stop being human if that is anything to go by.

Yet, Magneto hates [i]homo sapiens[/i] and refers to mutants as [i]homo superior[/i]. Do you know what determines skin color or a mutation? The genome code, that's all. So, a few lines of code is all is it takes for Magneto to get his hate on? So what if it isn't color, Magneto is still dishing out punishment on a level that is based on a pre-disposed prejudice against something folks are born with, to the point where he has turned his destructive tendencies on other people who share similar twists in the genetic code, simply because they oppose his plans for domination.

Very odd to me when a Sentinel will tell you that there are no races, just a singular, the human race.

Considering while that remains Eric's motivation, he is a racist - a prejudiced bigoted hate filled bastard.

Oddly enough, redemption is possible even for characters like Magneto. Just like the kid in the movie American History X, the realization hate should not be the motivating factor in ones life, there is a better way. There has always been a chance that Eric will let love for others motivate him, heck, he spent time with and was friends with Xavier. There is still the chance that Magneto can be a force for protection of his fellow man, when he stops letting his hate blind him and his love lead him.

So, stop and consider the implications of the Sentinels conclusions and its outcome. Racists on either side are self destructive.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#134  Edited By Pania

He certainly is a "species-ist" which would be a more correct term, I think. He definitely thinks mutants are superior to humans. But he is not, as so many believe, genocidal. Other than Morrison's so-gawawful-it-was-retconned-within-weeks Planet X arc, Magneto has never been genocidal. He's controlled two countries (Santo Marco and Genosha) and a planet (House of M) and never a program of genocide in any of them. In fact, he had humans in his cabinet in Genosha.

Nor does his hate go as far as people think. His grandaughter, Luna is human. He adores her, rather desperately. His first daughter Anya was also (as far as he knew) human. Magda, the woman he was still carrying a torch for 30 years after she abandoned him, was human. Lee Forrester, with whom he had a long term relationship with during his reformation period, was human. He also worked closely with, and was sexually attracted to, Alda Huxley while he was running Genosha.

In general, Magneto looks down on humans as a group, but individuals have broken through that to earn his respect.

I think we have all encountered racists like that.

Or maybe Magneto just has a thing for human women.

We've all encountered racists like that too. chuckle

But his species-ism is not so virulent and extreme as some people here have suggested. While he has repeatedly touted mutant superiority, he really doesn't engage in hate speech, for example. And when he was controlling Santo Marco, Genosha, and in his "dream world" in House of M, while humans had more limited rights, he didn't even foster segregation of the populations. They still lived and worked side by side with mutants.

As Luna said when she saw Magneto (after Pietro improperly exposed her to the Terrigen mists, giving her empathic powers), "He's not a bad man. He's a very sad man."

So Species-ist, yes. Monster, no.

And he really is more analogous to Che Guevara than Malcom X. That was the comparison Bryan Singer drew that really....it was loosely right in the Xavier = Dr. King, Magneto = Malcom X, but Magneto is more extreme and militant than Malcom X was.

And yes, Sentinels think there is only one race: Homo sapiens. Homo sapien superiors are an infestation to be exterminated to them.

Or at least no more monstrous than Che Guevara, Menechem Began, Ariel Sharon, George Bush, and the Basques. I bet if you looked real closely at all of world leaders with seats in the U.N., you'd find a significant handful of Magnetos.

Which is the reason he is so polarizing in both the Marvel Offices and in the fan base: He is not entirely fictional.

Post Edited:2008-02-02 19:27:16

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#136  Edited By Pania

That is his primary motivator: Protect his people from the those in power by being those in power.

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By T.J. Magnum

i don't think he is ,he is just trying to save his people from what happened to him

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By warlock360

ECH2007 says:

"Yes or No
    Post Edited:2008-01-06 02:08:32"

yes, and so its the intire world NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXXT

fanboy#1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By fanboy#1

yes yes he is 

its kinda ironic calling him a racist monster comsidering his past
    hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By hdorman1

no he is not
    he is a freedom fighter
    seeing your people,
     your race ,
     your species being slaughtered by men would piss anyone off
    he has seen what humans did to  a fellow human
    he doesnt want a another genocide of his people 
    i agree with the guy

simsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By simsey

confused i would say he was in a german nazi camp so he has hatred for them but when he discovers his different again in the fact his a mutant so where his hatred for the nazi's he devlops a hatred for humans its just he has displaced hatred towards humans  

but bottom line yes coz we have seen it read it and heard about it for yrs 

he is a racist
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#143  Edited By joshmightbe

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement,usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.    definition of racism
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#145  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

He's a speciesist 

glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By glforthewin

magnetos character is basically he doesn't want what happened to the jews to happen to mutants. and he's willing to go to terrible lengths to ensure this. 

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By reactor

Magneto is heavily traumatized by horrific events he's experienced in his life, specifically in his youth to young adulthood, during the Holocaust. Due to that, he's extremely protective of the mutant race, however, he himself has (poetically ironic) become the thing he himself hates: a racial supremest who despises humanity, seeing them as a lesser species.

It's a common, and sad, fact of life that those who were subjected to terrible things often later turn into the same sort of people that afflicted them. The case is the same with Magneto, in that he's become an extremist for his own kind after being oppressed by extremists in the past. In spite of what he believes he's doing, even when he claims it's for the benefit of all mutants, he himself has indeed become a racial monster.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Oceana said:
    "If he was any more racist he would be wearing a white hood:P "
    I know this is way old, but I just had to respond.

Except they wouldn't have him :)
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#149  Edited By joshmightbe

to believe one race is superior to another is litterally the definition of racism there fore magneto's dream of mutant supremesy is by definition racist meaning yes he is racist like it or not this isnt even opinion at this point magneto is the dictionary definition of a racist regardless of the reason him veiwing all humans as evil because some were is no different than when some one considers people of a different race inferior or bad just cause they're different. yes horrible things happened to him and yes he may even have a logical reason to be racist but the point is yes hes a racist
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#150  Edited By girth

Humans hate mutants because their jealous. They just wish they had cool powers too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.