How exactly old is Magneto?

#1 Posted by Markyo (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried looking it up, but I can't pin down a specific date.

Reason I'm asking is i just saw him in legacy 260 and he looks younger then cyclopes.

Did something happen? that reverted his age or something.

Sorry I started reading again right around fear itself.

#2 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember having a book that basically had all this info on the Xmen pre-Mday and iirc there was a moment where Mags was made younger again not quite sure though.

#3 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I'm seeing now, I'm guessing he's in his mid 50's...give or take.

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he was a kid during WWII, but they made him younger so he's physically in his 20/30s.

#5 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

He spent his early teens in Auschwitz from 1941 which means he was born from 1927 to 1928 so he's 84 to 85 years old, however he's been made younger at least twice so it's not clear how old he is physically.

#6 Posted by Markyo (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@AmazingFantasy15: Is there a reason?

Reality changing? Alien tech?

#7 Edited by etragedy (1081 posts) - - Show Bio
@Markyo: @Markyo said:

Reason I'm asking is i just saw him in legacy 260 and he looks younger then cyclopes.

Yes - something did happen that reverted his age. He was getting up in years (he had been interned in Auschitz after all) but he was at one point reverted to infancy (I forget by who), and he grew up a second time - this was part of what led to a more moderate Magneto who grew up without the horrors of WWII. It's been awhile since I read Marvel regularly though, so I'm not up on the current character.

EDIT: Found it - it was 'Alpha the Ultimate Mutant' - Wikipedia has a better page on the story about what happened to Magneto than the one here on CV.
#8 Posted by Queso6p4 (1437 posts) - - Show Bio

@etragedy said:

Yes - something did happen that reverted his age. He was getting up in years (he had been interned in Auschitz after all) but he was at one point reverted to infancy (I forget by who), and he grew up a second time - this was part of what led to a more moderate Magneto who grew up without the horrors of WWII. It's been awhile since I read Marvel regularly though, so I'm not up on the current character.

EDIT: Found it - it was 'Alpha the Ultimate Mutant' - Wikipedia has a better page on the story about what happened to Magneto than the one here on CV.

Yes, ironically in this instance, it was the mutant Alpha that Magneto himself created who turned turned him into an infant but he was restored to his prime by Erik the Red.

#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Old

#10 Posted by tenebyss (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@Queso6p4 said:

@etragedy said:

Yes, ironically in this instance, it was the mutant Alpha that Magneto himself created who turned turned him into an infant but he was restored to his prime by Erik the Red.

Also, when Magneto was a baby, Moira McTaggeret messed with his mind, so when Erik the Red restored him, he served the X men.

#11 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

From what I'm seeing now, I'm guessing he's in his mid 50's...give or take.

#12 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Old enough to be Rogue's father... if not grand-father ;)

#13 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Physically he's in his 50s. Chronologically he's in his mid 80s.

#14 Posted by nahadef (33 posts) - - Show Bio

The issue you need to read is Uncanny X-Men 104.  That's the one where he comes back as a young adult on Muir Isle.  It doesn't solve the real age problem though, since him an Professor X were originally supposed to be the same age (see the flashback issue, #160, for young Xavier and Magnus fighting Hydra together) ;)

#15 Posted by Powerzone789 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

the mutant alpha he created resorted him to infancy, but he was brought back again to adult form rather younger then he was previously. although im sure there were many factors on the way to the present that also reduced his age, i would put him at late 40's early 50's although if none of that had happened he'd be really old about mid 80's now. same goes for xavier, he's bounced around to a couple different cloned bodies of himself and has had modification done to him too

#16 Edited by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

Chronologically, in his 80's, but physically in his 40's. He was a teenager during the Holocaust, so he was likely born in the 1920's. Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, a being that was genetically-created by Magneto, rebelled against him and reverted the entire Brotherhood to infancy.

Moira MacTaggert experimented on the infant Magneto in hopes of finding a way to help her mutant son, Proteus, but failed. Erik the Red used his advanced Shi'ar technology to revert Magneto back into an adult. However, as a means of gaining Magneto's trust and respect, he reverted him to his 'physical prime' rather than his natural age.

This is why Magneto is portrayed as being a very muscular man for his age. His official weight is 190 lbs. (which judging by his commonly drawn appearance, is pure muscle).

So yeah, physically he's old enough to be his lover Rogue's father, but chronologically he could be her grandfather. What a dirty old "Master of Magnetism" Magneto is. ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.