Follow

Magneto

Character » Magneto appears in 5894 issues.

Among the most powerful, recognizable, and infamous mutants to inhabit the planet Earth, Magneto was the X-Men's first major nemesis. Now known as a revolutionist and terrorist, Magneto has fought for the X-Men as many times as he’s been against them.

Does Magneto's Powers Work On Non-Magnetic Metals?

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gunswordfist

Yes, I know it's probably a stupid question but I'm curious.
    Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Phorqe

I'd say no, but he is able to manipulate a lot of weird things and could most likely find a way to indirectly affect non-ferrous materials.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gunswordfist

Yeah Magneto's powers do have infinite possibilities.
    Dupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dupe

If you wish to know the limits of Magneto's powers i suggest you read through this site. It contains a lot of information also to your question of his of power on non-magnetic materials.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By EdwardWindsor

iam preety sure hes stated he controls all metal even if it magenetic or not,  this could be worked out far easier if we knew if admantuim for example or vibranuim where magneteic since hes influenced both in the past , and since there indestructable would make sence there none reactive as well and possibly none magnetic.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Pania

Yes it does. Because all atoms contain electromagnetic fields which hold the protons to the neutron and electrons, and therefore hold atoms together into molecules, etc., magnetism can be used to manipulate anything. 

A RL Example: 
    http://www.hfml.ru.nl/levitate.html  

For more real science on what someone who can control electromagnetism could do:

http://www.magnetowasright.com/pages/analysis/the-science-of-magneto.php

EDIT: Oops, I see Dupe beat me to it.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

He shouldn't be able to... but he does.  In fact, the range of his magnetism is probably one of the few things in the Marvel Universe that would give Squirrel Girl a run for her money :p

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pania

No. Scientifically in RL, electromagnetism is one of the most prevelant and obvious forces in the universe. It is responsible for most  of the physics you observe in day to day life.  

Stan Lee did not know how powerful he was making the character when he created him, but *just* by giving Magneto control over electromagnetism, one of the Four Fundamental Forces of the Universe, he made Magneto one of the most powerful characters in the M.U. 

I do suggest checking out the link to my site here. It explains why Magneto can do what he can do.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

I suggest that you understand teh nature of the Marvel Universe, thenyou would know that Squirrel Girl would still defeat him.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pania

*chuckle* 

Well, she's Squirrel Girl. She can defeat Galactus is she wanted to.

The Abbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Abbot

Well little late but Pania is right. Being able to manipulate electromagnetism he is technically able to effect any and everything. It's basic scientific theory. So if he exerts himself enough he should be able to throw wood around if he wanted to..

Avatar image for kneel_before_doom
    kneel before doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can just manipulate the magnetic wave

Avatar image for proteusaskanison
    proteusaskanison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By proteusaskanison

Magnetism isnt limited to metal... 
    theres diamagnetism... and the connection to weak and strong... and gravity 

if magneto was to ever reach his full potential... 
    id reckon hed be able to take on galactus and win

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cracks

Magneto has complete control over the entire electro magnetic spectrum.          %Pr

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Satyrquaze
    @cracks said:
    "Magneto has complete control over the entire electro magnetic spectrum.          %Pr "

Theoretically. I have yet to see him manipulate Gamma Rays.
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gunswordfist

I'll have to check out magnetowasright.com since 3 of y'all mentioned it. lol
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pania
    @John Valentine: I am? What did I get wrong?
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warlock360

these are all magnetic waves :>
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cracks
    @Satyrquaze: He could. 
    Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Satyrquaze
    @cracks: 

The point is: Has he?
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pania
    @Satyrquaze: Gamma Rays are a product of nuclear explosions, and as such yes. He deflected the blast of two tactical nukes during Magento War.
    Avatar image for omega_level_supreme
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pania: Just for the heck of it, no. You're all wrong, everone who agrees with Pania is wrong. Magneto can't control anything but ferrous metals, if his power is only over ferromagnetism. :P

XBarbieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XBarbieX

I think he could control pretty much everything by controlling the magnetic field around it, even non metallic objects. Everything has such a magnetic field around it caused by gravity. By manipulating this field he can, though indirectly, manipulate pretty much everything. That is one of the reasons he is often shown flying.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Satyrquaze
    @Pania said:
    " @Satyrquaze: Gamma Rays are a product of nuclear explosions, and as such yes. He deflected the blast of two tactical nukes during Magento War. "

The original point that Cracks was trying to make was that Magneto has complete control of the EM Spectrum, deflecting a nuclear explosion does not automatically translate into being able to manipulate the EM Spectrum. Deflection does not equate to Manipulation.

When I was asking if he had/could manipulate Gamma rays what I was leaning towards was: Could Mags pull the Gamma radiation out of Bruce Banner? If he had complete control he could. But I think that feat is beyond him. 
    Avatar image for omega_level_supreme
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Barbie said:
    "I think he could control pretty much everything by controlling the magnetic field around it, even non metallic objects. Everything has such a magnetic field around it caused by gravity. By manipulating this field he can, though indirectly, manipulate pretty much everything. That is one of the reasons he is often shown flying. "
    Whoa enlighten me, the last I read science was still working on a unified magnetic-gravity theory. It's incomplete, but you may possess more understanding, how does gravity relate to magnetism, as I thought they were two very distint forces?
    yodagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yodagod

Diamagnetism allows him control over everything at the subatomic level.  He can manipulate anything by directly affecting the elctromagnetic bonds responsible for holding atoms together.  Furthermore he is shown doing it many times, from manipulating plastics, ceramics, even lifting the mountain in Genosha (in spite of the fact that it mentions iron) would have had to be accomplished via diamagnetism or it would have just torn the iron from the ground.  Same thing when he kidnaps Moira and takes an entire house in to space.  He has also manipulated gold and as far as I know, Adamantium is nonferrous as well.
    grimlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By grimlock

i don't think he can unless we are considering the limitless possibilities of the comic world. put magneto in a non metallic environment and he's a lame duck thats how they managed to keep him in jail in Xmen movie

TheConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheConqueror

That is dumb, the moment the cars turned up he would of used them to destroy Reed. Anyway he can manipulate all materials, he isnt made of metal but he still flies doesnt he?

Boneapart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Boneapart

he has manipulated things other than metals and he has done this in a verity of ways, for example, he has staticly charged objectects to move them, put a magnetic sheld over them, swiched off gravity under the object, he has created heavy winds (by getting to magnetic fields to repel eachother) this has lifted objects, he has shown controled paramagnetic materials (grafite and oxygen) and also diamagnetic materials (everything eles), he has also moved the very elctrons in an atom  
    bible_reader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bible_reader
    @Omega-level Supreme said:
    "

@Pania: Just for the heck of it, no. You're all wrong, everone who agrees with Pania is wrong. Magneto can't control anything but ferrous metals, if his power is only over ferromagnetism. :P

"

didn't magneto   scatter  in  various  directions   e water of an icicle Kitty speared through his chest in X-Men Vol. 2 #87 ? 
    Electromagnetic bonds between the atoms of you feet are repelled by the electromagnetic bonds of the atoms of the ground. Those magnetic fields cause a non-ferrous substance to be either paramagnetic or diamagnetic.
    bible_reader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bible_reader
    @Satyrquaze said:

" @cracks: 

The point is: Has he? "

Yes, you want the issues? 
    X-Men Vol. 2 #1, X-Men Vol 2 #86 ,   Uncanny X-Men #104,   Vision and the Scarlet Witch miniseires Vol. 1 #4
    oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By oldgum

Magnetic field can never be separated from electric field, he actually control the  electromagnetic force, one of the basic force in the the universe.  Even magnetic field alone can influence the motion of charged particle(That's how lightsabres work). Remember even on the cover of the first issue he was able to generate magnetic orb to defend  both optic blast and snowballs?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Gambit1024

Well he can just put Magnetic fields around anything to manipulate it so... yeah.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35  Edited By SC  Moderator

Yes, and yes and yes, but lol @ this thread...  

Magneto, not a Magnet power guy. Mr Fantastic can also be not so fantastic some times too. Thing can be referred to as being rocky like with his powers. 

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lorbo

Really if Magneto could only use magnetism, literally creating and manipulating it, he could easily do a lot of things. If he can lift a metal ship he should have no problem encasing a nonmagnetic object with a hyperstrong magnetic field. Hyperstrong magnetic fields are diamagnetic, they repel nonmagnetic stuff. Meaning that he could crush or smash nonmagnetic materials if he wanted too. But the writers tend to ignore this and give him all types of powers he should'nt even have. If I wrote him he would be limtited to moving and bending ferromagnetic materials. Nonmagnetic materials he would be able to smash or crush, nothing more. Because allowing more makes him an everything goes telekinetic, and he is not supposed to be that.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThanosIsMad

How is Magneto not supposed to be like he's been depicted since his inception? Scientists have suspended frogs in mid-air using magnets, which means Magneto should be able to do something similar. And of course, his powers means he could move the magnetic field, which is how he can fly, amongst other things. Every single thing he does involves manipulating the EM field in some form. If he were simply a giant magnet like depicted in the movies (unfortunately) or if he were Dr. Polaris from DC, you'd have some sort of point.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gravitypress

He has manipulated ferrous and non-ferrous metals before.

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrquaze: magneto has on more than one occasion created Radiatin and manipulated it like it was nothing he once melted a door by creating radiation. they never said what type but he still created the radiation

winters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can affect gravity,fire lightning bolts,kill by manipulating iron in people's blood. One of the most watered down villian in comics.

Afro007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Charles Xavier say in the first movie that Magneto can control metal

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Magneto can move plastic also?

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does this technically make him a matter manipulator in general?

skepta91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it's a good question, Well like mentioned before because I agree, which is why I always back Magneto up (alot of people in Marvel based battles) leave out physics and science and what electro magnetism is per say. I know it is fantasy in terms of the Marvel debates but electromagnetism is still electromagnetism so the rules still apply regardless of debate and and whos right or whos wrong. In thoery there's no reason magneto cannot manipulate things such as wood, plastic and other non metalic materials (in-directly) because electromagnetism is in all materials and elements to different degrees and it does bind and hold atoms and bonds together and matter itself has a lot of connections to electromagnetism. There's no evidence to suggest magneto can or cannot (simply absorb say the incredible hulks energy period regardless of what version of hulk it is and kill him) because gamma radiation is on the electromagnetic spectrum and theat's magento's speciality. There's my other thoery could he defeat ironman in a suit supposidly immune to magneto's magnetical powers (my answer is he wouldn't have to think to fuck ironman up) even if ironman was in a palstic suit of amour or a substance magneto cannot directly control. Let me explain.

So basically it is true the human body itself has iron which we all know he can control, but that's just one factor, the human heart and brain both produce electromagnetic feilds (i'm sure many know this) so there's my point that what is stopping him from shutting your brain off or causing a sudden massive heart faliure which kill mostly anyone on a general basis, No he cannot control plastic directly but the suit would only act as a means to stopping him control, ironmans outer shell, it'd do absolutely nothing agaisnt his ability to manipulate electromagnetic feilds which likei said are created by the heart and brain themsleves. In theory going by the laws of science and physics we could argue that potnetially speaking magneto can technically destroy, control or even manipulate the universe itself (that's only if we assume himself or another on his power level could advance themselves or master their ability to such a degree they'd be consideed god-like. This is also why i sometimes argue that Storm could defeat magneto or in theory (hyperthetically) equil or even best him because she has the ability to manipulate electromagnetism to degrees alongside nature/weather. I also think she'seriously underestimated but I won't say too much people seem to go crazy on the matter lol.

This isn't me saying that this is factual, nor an I stating evidence to suggest anything I said is possible for Magento to be capible of, i'm just going with how basic science works so in that case potentially magneto can do what the damn hell he wants on a scientific bias.

Johan1963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, according to the official handbook of the marvel universe, mag can control ALL metals.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.