Does Magneto's Powers Work On Non-Magnetic Metals?

#1 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I know it's probably a stupid question but I'm curious.
#2 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say no, but he is able to manipulate a lot of weird things and could most likely find a way to indirectly affect non-ferrous materials.

#3 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Magneto's powers do have infinite possibilities.
#4 Posted by Dupe (1581 posts) - - Show Bio

If you wish to know the limits of Magneto's powers i suggest you read through this site. It contains a lot of information also to your question of his of power on non-magnetic materials.

#5 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14402 posts) - - Show Bio

iam preety sure hes stated he controls all metal even if it magenetic or not,  this could be worked out far easier if we knew if admantuim for example or vibranuim where magneteic since hes influenced both in the past , and since there indestructable would make sence there none reactive as well and possibly none magnetic.

#6 Edited by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it does. Because all atoms contain electromagnetic fields which hold the protons to the neutron and electrons, and therefore hold atoms together into molecules, etc., magnetism can be used to manipulate anything. 

A RL Example: 
http://www.hfml.ru.nl/levitate.html  

For more real science on what someone who can control electromagnetism could do:

http://www.magnetowasright.com/pages/analysis/the-science-of-magneto.php

EDIT: Oops, I see Dupe beat me to it.

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

He shouldn't be able to... but he does.  In fact, the range of his magnetism is probably one of the few things in the Marvel Universe that would give Squirrel Girl a run for her money :p

#8 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Scientifically in RL, electromagnetism is one of the most prevelant and obvious forces in the universe. It is responsible for most  of the physics you observe in day to day life.  

Stan Lee did not know how powerful he was making the character when he created him, but *just* by giving Magneto control over electromagnetism, one of the Four Fundamental Forces of the Universe, he made Magneto one of the most powerful characters in the M.U. 

I do suggest checking out the link to my site here. It explains why Magneto can do what he can do.

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I suggest that you understand teh nature of the Marvel Universe, thenyou would know that Squirrel Girl would still defeat him.

#10 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

*chuckle* 

Well, she's Squirrel Girl. She can defeat Galactus is she wanted to.

#11 Posted by The Abbot (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Well little late but Pania is right. Being able to manipulate electromagnetism he is technically able to effect any and everything. It's basic scientific theory. So if he exerts himself enough he should be able to throw wood around if he wanted to..

#12 Posted by kneel before doom (304 posts) - - Show Bio

He can just manipulate the magnetic wave

#13 Posted by proteusaskanison (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnetism isnt limited to metal... 
theres diamagnetism... and the connection to weak and strong... and gravity 

if magneto was to ever reach his full potential... 
id reckon hed be able to take on galactus and win

#14 Posted by cracks (6781 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto has complete control over the entire electro magnetic spectrum.          %Pr

#15 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks said:
"Magneto has complete control over the entire electro magnetic spectrum.          %Pr "

Theoretically. I have yet to see him manipulate Gamma Rays.
#16 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll have to check out magnetowasright.com since 3 of y'all mentioned it. lol
#17 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine: I am? What did I get wrong?
#18 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

these are all magnetic waves :>
#19 Posted by cracks (6781 posts) - - Show Bio
@Satyrquaze: He could. 
#20 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
@cracks: 

The point is: Has he?
#21 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio
@Satyrquaze: Gamma Rays are a product of nuclear explosions, and as such yes. He deflected the blast of two tactical nukes during Magento War.
#22 Edited by Omega-level Supreme (1159 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pania: Just for the heck of it, no. You're all wrong, everone who agrees with Pania is wrong. Magneto can't control anything but ferrous metals, if his power is only over ferromagnetism. :P

#23 Posted by Barbie (826 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he could control pretty much everything by controlling the magnetic field around it, even non metallic objects. Everything has such a magnetic field around it caused by gravity. By manipulating this field he can, though indirectly, manipulate pretty much everything. That is one of the reasons he is often shown flying.

#24 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pania said:
" @Satyrquaze: Gamma Rays are a product of nuclear explosions, and as such yes. He deflected the blast of two tactical nukes during Magento War. "

The original point that Cracks was trying to make was that Magneto has complete control of the EM Spectrum, deflecting a nuclear explosion does not automatically translate into being able to manipulate the EM Spectrum. Deflection does not equate to Manipulation.

When I was asking if he had/could manipulate Gamma rays what I was leaning towards was: Could Mags pull the Gamma radiation out of Bruce Banner? If he had complete control he could. But I think that feat is beyond him. 
#25 Posted by Omega-level Supreme (1159 posts) - - Show Bio
@Barbie said:
"I think he could control pretty much everything by controlling the magnetic field around it, even non metallic objects. Everything has such a magnetic field around it caused by gravity. By manipulating this field he can, though indirectly, manipulate pretty much everything. That is one of the reasons he is often shown flying. "
Whoa enlighten me, the last I read science was still working on a unified magnetic-gravity theory. It's incomplete, but you may possess more understanding, how does gravity relate to magnetism, as I thought they were two very distint forces?
#26 Posted by yodagod (2285 posts) - - Show Bio

Diamagnetism allows him control over everything at the subatomic level.  He can manipulate anything by directly affecting the elctromagnetic bonds responsible for holding atoms together.  Furthermore he is shown doing it many times, from manipulating plastics, ceramics, even lifting the mountain in Genosha (in spite of the fact that it mentions iron) would have had to be accomplished via diamagnetism or it would have just torn the iron from the ground.  Same thing when he kidnaps Moira and takes an entire house in to space.  He has also manipulated gold and as far as I know, Adamantium is nonferrous as well.
#27 Posted by grimlock (1571 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think he can unless we are considering the limitless possibilities of the comic world. put magneto in a non metallic environment and he's a lame duck thats how they managed to keep him in jail in Xmen movie

#28 Posted by Edamame (27983 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL.

#29 Posted by TheConqueror (30 posts) - - Show Bio

That is dumb, the moment the cars turned up he would of used them to destroy Reed. Anyway he can manipulate all materials, he isnt made of metal but he still flies doesnt he?

#30 Posted by napoleon (824 posts) - - Show Bio

he has manipulated things other than metals and he has done this in a verity of ways, for example, he has staticly charged objectects to move them, put a magnetic sheld over them, swiched off gravity under the object, he has created heavy winds (by getting to magnetic fields to repel eachother) this has lifted objects, he has shown controled paramagnetic materials (grafite and oxygen) and also diamagnetic materials (everything eles), he has also moved the very elctrons in an atom  
#31 Edited by bible_reader (85 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega-level Supreme said:
"

@Pania: Just for the heck of it, no. You're all wrong, everone who agrees with Pania is wrong. Magneto can't control anything but ferrous metals, if his power is only over ferromagnetism. :P

"

didn't magneto   scatter  in  various  directions   e water of an icicle Kitty speared through his chest in X-Men Vol. 2 #87 ? 
Elec tromagnetic bonds between the atoms of you feet are repelled by the electromagnetic bonds of the atoms of the ground. Those magnetic fields cause a non-ferrous substance to be either paramagnetic or diamagnetic.
#32 Posted by bible_reader (85 posts) - - Show Bio
@Satyrquaze said:

" @cracks: 

The point is: Has he? "

Yes, you want the issues? 
X-Men Vol. 2 #1, X-Men Vol 2 #86 ,   Uncanny X-Men #104,   Vision and the Scarlet Witch miniseires Vol. 1 #4
#33 Posted by oldgum (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnetic field can never be separated from electric field, he actually control the  electromagnetic force, one of the basic force in the the universe.  Even magnetic field alone can influence the motion of charged particle(That's how lightsabres work). Remember even on the cover of the first issue he was able to generate magnetic orb to defend  both optic blast and snowballs?

#34 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he can just put Magnetic fields around anything to manipulate it so... yeah.
#35 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and yes and yes, but lol @ this thread...  

Magneto, not a Magnet power guy. Mr Fantastic can also be not so fantastic some times too. Thing can be referred to as being rocky like with his powers. 

#36 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Really if Magneto could only use magnetism, literally creating and manipulating it, he could easily do a lot of things. If he can lift a metal ship he should have no problem encasing a nonmagnetic object with a hyperstrong magnetic field. Hyperstrong magnetic fields are diamagnetic, they repel nonmagnetic stuff. Meaning that he could crush or smash nonmagnetic materials if he wanted too. But the writers tend to ignore this and give him all types of powers he should'nt even have. If I wrote him he would be limtited to moving and bending ferromagnetic materials. Nonmagnetic materials he would be able to smash or crush, nothing more. Because allowing more makes him an everything goes telekinetic, and he is not supposed to be that.

#37 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2193 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Magneto not supposed to be like he's been depicted since his inception? Scientists have suspended frogs in mid-air using magnets, which means Magneto should be able to do something similar. And of course, his powers means he could move the magnetic field, which is how he can fly, amongst other things. Every single thing he does involves manipulating the EM field in some form. If he were simply a giant magnet like depicted in the movies (unfortunately) or if he were Dr. Polaris from DC, you'd have some sort of point.

#38 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

He has manipulated ferrous and non-ferrous metals before.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.