Follow

Magma

Character » Magma appears in 1495 issues.

Magma can transform into molten rock & has control over the Earth. She was one of the New Mutants, but left to join the Hellions. She has since been a teacher at the Xavier Institute and rejoined her teammates from the New Mutants.

What's her name?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pixelized

Is her Real name amara or alison?

I'm reading old issues of X-factor at the moment and it said that she once went by Amara, but that part of her was lie. Has something different happened later on or is it really Alison?
    Dark Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dark Raider

I think it was established that it wasn't in fact a lie.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pixelized

do you know what book(s) that happened in?

Dark Raider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dark Raider

nope, sorry

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By fesak  Moderator

X-Treme X-Men 46

grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grimm

as far as i know her name is amara.

when she first joined the new mutants her name was amara aquilla.
    but for some reason the team would sometimes call her amy.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

Wow... I'm not one for bumping old threads, but this was never really answered.

She was introduced as Amara.  Amy is a casual & shortened form of Amara.  Cannonball did go through a short pase of calling her Mara, but she told him to stop since it was too informal (I believe she said it was the way a lover would address her).

However, after the Hellions were killed by Trevor Fitzroy, Cannonball, Warpath & Firestar ventured into the Amazonian jungles to reach Nova Roma.  They wanted to tell Amara & Empath about the fate of their former Hellion team-mates.  There they found everyone was in a slight daze.  Empath had been controling everyone. 

It turned out that Nova Roma was a fake.  When Selene left the city her spells began to crumble and the people there began to remember their old lives.  They had been kidnapped and given new Roman identities.  Empath had grown to love Nova Roma and wanted it to stay as it was, so he'd been using his own powers to keep it the way that it was. 

So Amara was never really Amara.  She was Alison Crestmere, who had been kidnapped from her family in England when she was a baby. 

That was in New Warriors #31.  However, despite claiming that she was going to find her original family, she never did... and people still kept calling her Amara, since that was how they'd known her for years.  But I think in comics they might have retconned it since.  She was Alison Crestmere in the X-Men: Legends game.  Either way, everyone still knows her as Amara :)

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pixelized

OH WOW.... I had no idea Nova Roma was fake.... wow, thanks Kitty!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Eyelash30: Marvel have ignored-retconned that back out of continuity, preferring to keep her as Amara instead of Alison.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Hunter114

The X-Men: Evolution cartoon, ComicVine's database and the Marvel databases (though unofficial) use the name Amara Aquilla as the real name and Alison Crestmere as the alias.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC

When Claremont was writing X-Treme X-Men it was revealed that the Nova Roma was in fact real, and the fact that they were all brainwashed was the lie.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

@PrinceIMC said:

When Claremont was writing X-Treme X-Men it was revealed that the Nova Roma was in fact real, and the fact that they were all brainwashed was the lie.

Yeah, it was a petty "I don't like other writers playing with my characters!" storyline ;) So he retconned it back & now everyone just conveniently ignores that little 'hiccup' in her history.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @xerox_kitty said:

@PrinceIMC said:

Yeah, it was a petty "I don't like other writers playing with my characters!" storyline ;) So he retconned it back & now everyone just conveniently ignores that little 'hiccup' in her history.

The worst part for me was in the issue where Amara said that Nova Roma was real she also said they aren't completely backwards, they even have the internet.....huh wha?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

@PrinceIMC said:

The worst part for me was in the issue where Amara said that Nova Roma was real she also said they aren't completely backwards, they even have the internet.....huh wha?

Ha ha! Yeah, the best way to integrate an ancient civilisation into the 21st Century is pipe the internet through the dense & protected Amazonian rainforest ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.