Can she fly?

#1 Edited by MisguidedAlan (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen an image which is over loaded with X characters and in the air there is a female form flying, and she is in a fire form. 
I cant tell who she is but the only person i can think of is Magma. Would that be her? 

http://www.comicvine.com/manifest-destiny/39-55673/uncanny-x-men/108-25614/prv665_pg7/105-462951/?offset=0  

that is the picture, and the person i am thinking of is about half way up the image, on the left side. 

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

The image that MisguidedAlan refers to...
Personally, I suspect that Magma suffers from creator-syndrome.  Depending on the writer & artist who draws her, then she is able to fly... It sure looked like she could fly in the 198 mini series.  However, there is little logical evidence to suggest that she can fly, other than she is a fire-weidler like the Human Torsh/Firestar & should therefore fly.  In all honesty, I just tend to look passed it as a faux pas made by the creators who just don't know better...  

After all, Magma's connection is to the earth.  Therefore, flying just doesn't make sense.
#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

^ What that person said
#4 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just a fancy image, I don't think it's supposed to be litteral.
 Last time I checked, Surge, Blindfold, Rockslide and Dazzler  can't fly either.

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
" It's just a fancy image, I don't think it's supposed to be litteral."

Terrible portrayal of Magma flying from the 198 mini series
It makes no sense for Magma to fly.  Outside of this scene, and Greg Land's terrible cover for Uncanny 500, she hasn't flown before.  She's risen up on towering pillars of flame, which makes more sense. 

@AngelFrost said:
"Last time I checked, Surge, Blindfold, Rockslide and Dazzler  can't fly either. "

Dazzler taking off
This is something I only recently discovered... it's pretty lame, but sadly it did happen (Can Dazzler fly?)
#6 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Her flying makes allot of sense like the Torche's being able to fly heat rises.

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" Her flying makes allot of sense like the Torche's being able to fly heat rises. "
Magma's powers are connected to the Earth.  She doesn't burst into fire, like the Human Torch.  Instead, she transforms into living molten lava.  Hence her codename ;)   

Therefore, it doesn't make any sense to supposed that molten rock should be able to fly through the air.  Flying would cut her off from her power source.  Being closer to the Earth has always made Magma stronger.  So being cut off from the ground doesn't make any sense at all.
#8 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" Her flying makes allot of sense like the Torche's being able to fly heat rises. "
Magma's powers are connected to the Earth.  She doesn't burst into fire, like the Human Torch.  Instead, she transforms into living molten lava.  Hence her codename ;)    Therefore, it doesn't make any sense to supposed that molten rock should be able to fly through the air.  Flying would cut her off from her power source.  Being closer to the Earth has always made Magma stronger.  So being cut off from the ground doesn't make any sense at all. "
I see I know very little on the character except for her recent appearances in New Mutants
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus: If you can get a hold of the old stuff, then I really recommend it.  The original New Mutants series has some great characterisation.  You should be able to pick up the back issues cheaply (or the collected trade paperbacks :)  When Magma appeared, she quickly became a popular figure in the team.  Very early on she had sunstroke, and accidentally triggered earthquakes & created volcanos in her fever.
#10 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  I wouldn't count Dazzler as 'flying' in that image. Just propelling herself upwards.  Lol.
#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
" @xerox-kitty:  I wouldn't count Dazzler as 'flying' in that image. Just propelling herself upwards.  Lol. "
Pretty much how I thought of it, when I first saw it...  Can Dazzler fly?
#12 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @AngelFrost said:
" @xerox-kitty:  I wouldn't count Dazzler as 'flying' in that image. Just propelling herself upwards.  Lol. "
Pretty much how I thought of it, when I first saw it...  Can Dazzler fly? "
Yeah,   so it's a major exaggeration to say she can fly.
It's more like a jump. lol.
#13 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

did anyone else play x-men legends 1, she made a magma bridge. ok, a magma bridge. lets just be happy that she isn't stealing Iceman tactics :P
#14 Edited by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama: Nothing from Second Coming in print so far has shown that.  You need to use spoiler tags if you are quoting something from a preview. 
#16 Posted by nicknicholby (523 posts) - - Show Bio

magma is shown flying in the new xmen legacy. 

#17 Posted by nicknicholby (523 posts) - - Show Bio

and the fact that she can fly is, i admit, a horrible extension of her power.

#18 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's still a spoiler for anyone who didn't buy & read the comic on the day it came out. 

The flying fiery woman is unidentified.  It is most likely to be Magma, but until they actually address her then there's always a possibility that it is someone else... Just in the hopes that they haven't given her this ludicrous & non-logical extension of her powers.

#19 Posted by nicknicholby (523 posts) - - Show Bio

scott actually sends out a team.  every character that is mentioned in the team is in the panel

#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@nicknicholby said:
" scott actually sends out a team.  every character that is mentioned in the team is in the panel "
Scan, please.  Because I've just flicked through that issue 3 times.  The closest to that scenario is when Emma asks for a roster & he tells her to read him mind.  He later instructs Psylocke & Domino to go down onto the streets.  There is no mention of Magma's name in X-Men: Legacy #236.

If you're referring to the preview of X-Force #27, that that is a spoiler & you should cover up with a spoiler tag. 

Although I'm sure it probably will turn out to be her, I would just prefer to think that it isn't.  However, that doesn't excuse spoilers.
#21 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Sorry, didn't seem like a spoiler. And I was refering to Legacy 236.
#22 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she can fly technically, but it should be very limited, I'm talking like maybe a few feet because then she loses strength the farther she gets from the earth's surface. I still hate the idea of her flying because unlike torch she's made a molten rock which is very heavy and just doesn't seem logical to fly at all.
But of course writers do get a little excited and just pull things out of the sky on how mutant powers work because they may be "similar" to other characters.

#23 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Frozen_Canary (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@jordama said:

"
"

That's my thoughts behind it.
#25 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Magma isn't supposed to fly! She's made out of lava! She needed the earth's crust for power!

#26 Posted by GreenChing (7 posts) - - Show Bio
New Mutants #24
New Mutants #24

These are images of magma from Age of X. It appears she flies by propelling magma from her feet/lower body, like how a rocket takes off. So it seems as if she can get herself in the air using some sort of propulsion mechanism.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.