Will the Darkchilde Illyana retrieve her innocent soul?

#1 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio

After the end of Quest for Magik story arc, she wants to retrieve her innocent soul and become human again.

#2 Posted by Xeron (293 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that depends on how the fans will react to Magik's persona. Will they like the innocent girl or the monster.

#3 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@244 said:
" After the end of Quest for Magik story arc, she wants to retrieve her innocent soul and become human again. "
It's never that simple with Illyana Rasputin.
#4 Posted by Vallary (60 posts) - - Show Bio

God I hope not! I found myself liking the bitchy-her very much!

#5 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vallary: And not giving her a chance of redemption by becoming human once again?
#6 Posted by Vallary (60 posts) - - Show Bio
@244: She's cool in my opinion, I like her style and she's very unpredictable and interesting. There is enough nice people around the X-Men, why not give us more bad characters on the good side? It's fun to see how her teammates still can't help but think of her as of their friend, which she kinda is but isn't. Their disappointment in her and her full lack of interest in their feelings is very touching. Plus she can think outside the box now, she can kill, she can act rough. And Kitty is back, I bet they're gonna have their moment sometime and Kitty will not meet the friend she loved so much.
I know it's not fun for the fans, I myself would be angry if someone made a coldblooded murderous bitch out of my favorite character, but I liked Illyana back in the Exiles, where she was absolutely badass and cruel but yet interesting, and I never read much about her former self, so she made me VERY impressed, I haven't liked new characters for a long time now and it's cool to find her.
#7 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vallary: I understand your comment, although Illyana was an old character dating back from the 80's.
#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering the same thing about whether or not Illyana will ever go back to her old self again.
#9 Posted by Kairan1979 (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

I think "Illyana" and "innocent soul" in one sentence is oxymoron. Her soul is black as Hell itself.

#10 Edited by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979: But what about the whole 'good and evil' aspect of her character? Would that be swept under the rug? If you're talking about "Fear Itself", I'm sure it'll be temporary for the duration of it.

Correction: she was missing parts of her good soul and the holes were filled with black magic. If she allows it to consume her, she'll definitely go evil. The 'Storm and Illyana Magik' mini series from the 80's talks about trying to overcome the evil within and is like a metaphor for child abduction. When reading Magik, think of her as a jungian shadow arch type and the evil within is a metaphor for humanities darker impulses.
#11 Posted by labarith (669 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they need to give us a few more events with her before giving her soul back.  I do think, though, that in virtue of Q4M, this could be an epic arc in a new NEW X-men series.  Surge, Proj, Hellion (sans hands, or with Elixer's help), Elixer, Anole, Pixie, Juggerlossus, Kitty, X23, Merc, Dust, Rockslide, and maybe a few more... seems mega-solid.

#12 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith: Illyana did got back the remainder of her soul after Rise of the New Mutants and was very much human afterwords but she went back to her dark behavior in Fear Itself tie-ins to Uncanny X-men and New Mutants for some unknown reason. The bloodstones and the soulsword aren't just pieces of her soul, they're fragments of the 'real' her as well. Maybe despite recovering fragments of herself still doesn't rid the taint inside her, who knows?
#13 Posted by Lukas988 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@244: She recovered her soul, but not her inocence, at least that's why I think she went back to dark behavior

#14 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio

@lukas988 said:

@244: She recovered her soul, but not her inocence, at least that's why I think she went back to dark behavior

It isn't so much that she retains her dark behavior, but it's more like she has become so broken now from all the bad experiences she had to endure. Being abducted when she was a child and going through demonic possession. I thought things would turn for the better after recovering her soul but I didn't realized how warped her mind has become now. I take it she probably has a negative outlook in life now.

#15 Posted by knighthood (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Has to be one of the oldest threads someone revived. I think her soul is fine.

#16 Edited by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Has to be one of the oldest threads someone revived. I think her soul is fine.

Regaining parts of her soul is the easy part (if you look at it that way), now the hard part is Magik finding an identity for herself and where she fits in in the rest of the world. The majority of the X-men sees her as a monster and sadly, she's accepted it.

#17 Posted by Lukas988 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@244: I never understood this, Is her soul still corrupted by belasco? what do you think?

#18 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio

@lukas988 said:

@244: I never understood this, Is her soul still corrupted by belasco? what do you think?

I don't know to be honest. The Magik that came back as her demonic self was recreated by memories of her in Limbo (Magik's Limbo to be exact) but came back wrong because her soul was missing. Demon Magik believes that by reclaiming the missing fragments of her soul, she can become human again.

#19 Posted by HexThis (922 posts) - - Show Bio

Illyana has always been complicated, even when she wasn't in this predicament she was known for being stoic with difficulty relating to others. I believe in the end of her origin solo series, when she goes to Westchester to be with the New Mutants, she describes still feeling deeply affected by her time in Limbo. That whole series was so poignant and beautiful, if you read it you'll see she was always a darker character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.