Follow

Magik

Character » Magik appears in 3410 issues.

The younger sister of Colossus. Illyana Rasputin is a mutant teleporter, a sorceress, and the ruler of Limbo, who is currently a member of Storm's team of mutants residing in the "Jean Grey Institute for Higher Learning".

Now that Magik has....

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PYH000
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Technically, she only has 3 fifths of it back. 

When she was 'resurrected' by Belasco, he draw her body from the imprint she made on everything she touched in Limbo (or soemthing to that effect).  That was why she didn't have a soul.   

The bloodstones were created by extracting parts of her soul, but not her entire soul.  Therefore the old pre-Inferno Illyana only had 2/5 of her soul remaining.  So she's not a "real girl" now, according to that hideously stupid line that Pixie came out with...

But she is 1/5 'more human' than she used be back in the original New Mutants series.

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PYH000

But then what about the soulsword? It was fashioned from the remains of her good soul as was seen from the Storm and Illyana mini from the 80's and when she reclaimed it, she got back a fragment of her humanity as seen from X-Infernus #2 so the soulsword plus three of her bloodstones, wouldn't that count as being her entire human soul?

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By thatlad

It's good character development but I hope this doesn't mean we're going to lose those classic 'bitchy' lines she comes out with

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PYH000
    frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By frozenedge2

I always Magik. She's a badass sorceress, uses the X-Men for her own deeds from time to time, and doesn't seem to care about doing it. But with her soul back, she might tone down on the bitchy-ness  but I hope she doesn't become a goody goody. We don't need anymore of those.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

Honestly, it's disappointing that she's taunting her brother.  Even as a full demon, her greatest shame was to be seen by her brother.  Darkchilde was only embarrassed to be a demon instead of a little girl in front of her brother who idolised & protected her.  So taunting him?  That's just BAD writing.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PYH000
    @xerox_kitty: Yeah, I thought of it as well, but if you put it this way, it can be seen as Illyana projecting Colossus' fears of what she has done and become and the argument between him and Kitty seems to help convey that he doesn't want to accept Illyana as a soulless monster. Fear Itself is pretty much the marvel characters seeing their personal fears and doubts become a reality and I believe the subject matter of the Fear Itself tie-in with UXN is about interpersonal relationships becoming strained.

@frozenedge said:

I always Magik. She's a badass sorceress, uses the X-Men for her own deeds from time to time, and doesn't seem to care about doing it. But with her soul back, she might tone down on the bitchy-ness  but I hope she doesn't become a goody goody. We don't need anymore of those.

But Illyana wanted to be Colossus' little snowflake again ever since the ending of Quest for Magik.  : ]  ANd besides, the badass Illyana isn't the 'real' her. It's just the Illyana being consumed by the corrupting influence Belasco planted inside of her. The 'real' her is fundamentally a good person.

Anti-heroes are becoming overrated now.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PYH000

I've read New Mutants #28 and it turns out Illyana had been sincere she wanted a normal life again. The way she was talking to her would-be-liberators (limbo's demons) seemed she doesn't want anything to do with limbo anymore and wants her friends to trust her again.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox_kitty said:
    Honestly, it's disappointing that she's taunting her brother.  Even as a full demon, her greatest shame was to be seen by her brother.  Darkchilde was only embarrassed to be a demon instead of a little girl in front of her brother who idolised & protected her.  So taunting him?  That's just BAD writing.
    Yeah, a few months later, but I have every single "Magik" miniseries book, read every original New Mutants run and basically know her character back and forth. It's WIS to have her taunting Colossus based upon their history.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PYH000
    @PhoenixoftheTides said:

@xerox_kitty said:

Yeah, a few months later, but I have every single "Magik" miniseries book, read every original New Mutants run and basically know her character back and forth. It's WIS to have her taunting Colossus based upon their history.
    The more I think about UXN #540 and #542 regarding with Illyana, I come to realize she wasn't taunting him but I get the impression she's more like accepting herself as the monster she was before, something like an extreme version of self-loathing. I'm taking back what I said that she was taunting her own brother. The way she said about Colossus not being like her seems to suggest she feels no one can understand her and such.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PYH000

Good news, Illyana is no longer...

Kieron Gillen went on record stating that Illyana isn't the same person anymore by definition after getting back a chunk of her soul.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.