it says under I
that she's gay
and on her page it says that she had a crush on shadowcat
is this true?

and i spelled lesbian wrong
#2 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

ooh...didn't know that

#3 Posted by fesak (6994 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never heard of her being gay before.
Though i can't remember her sexuality being brought up anytime, so it's possible.

#4 Posted by Leliel (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

well she never had a relationship with a male character then I guess she could be

#5 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a fan database (like ours), so it may not be true. I don't know enough about her to know either way.

#6 Posted by sammu (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely ridiculous to say she had a crush on Kitty. They were friends. Anyway, Illyana died when Claremont stopped writing her. She was easily my favourite character ever (not just counting comic books here). She wasn't into romantic love because she probably thought it made her weak. She could flirt and tease, but Illyana needed to be in control. Because of her background. Can't rely on anyone else, can't let anyone in. But it's quite clear she had feelings for someone in New Mutants, but she probably denied them herself, thinking they were just friends. Maybe he reminded her of something good. Who knows?

#7 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

I have absolutely no idea what in christs name a lesbinan is

#8 Posted by IcePrince_X (4636 posts) - - Show Bio

Is having a crush on a girl and your a girl make you gay?

I believe not. But acting on it, like make advances or wanting to build an intimate relationship does. The case of Shadowcat and Magick is just a girl admiring another girl who happens to be her brother's girlfriend. Illyana is a child and Shadowcat took her in without any hesitation. So I see their relationship more like this than having a lesbian tendency.

#9 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

how old was magik when she died?

#10 Posted by IcePrince_X (4636 posts) - - Show Bio

techincally 7 years old... she reverted back to her own age without memory of her powers and people she has been through.

danhimself said:

"how old was magik when she died?"
#11 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

how can someone call a 7 year old gay?   that's retarded

#12 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"

"
6 years old i had the pink power ranger on my birthday cake...and rocked the outfit on halloween...there were no surprises after that
#13 Posted by GreyGoose (5044 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"danhimself said:
"

"
6 years old i had the pink power ranger on my birthday cake...and rocked the outfit on halloween...there were no surprises after that"
pix ur hilarious....i luv u lol^^
#14 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

[=

true story.
#15 Posted by Mer-Man (3360 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha Why I love you Pix :P

#16 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

awwwwwwwww

#17 Posted by GreyGoose (5044 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"[=
true story.
"

=] pix is awesome lol
#18 Posted by Mer-Man (3360 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"awwwwwwwww"
awww Huggles O_o
#19 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized said:

"danhimself said:
"

"
6 years old i had the pink power ranger on my birthday cake...and rocked the outfit on halloween...there were no surprises after that"

lol...your parents didn't react at all when you wanted to be the pink power ranger for halloween?

#20 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"

pixelized said:

"danhimself said:
"

"

lol...your parents didn't react at all when you wanted to be the pink power ranger for halloween?

"
Kimberly was justifiably hot.
#21 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"

pixelized said:

"danhimself said:
"

"

"
Nope, nothing at all
#22 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"danhimself said:
"

pixelized said:

"danhimself said:
"

"

"
Nope, nothing at all"

wow it's just really hard for me to imagine a 6 year old telling his parents that and them just saying sure...like no reaction at all?
#23 Posted by 244 (495 posts) - - Show Bio
sammu said:
"Completely ridiculous to say she had a crush on Kitty. They were friends. Anyway, Illyana died when Claremont stopped writing her. She was easily my favourite character ever (not just counting comic books here). She wasn't into romantic love because she probably thought it made her weak. She could flirt and tease, but Illyana needed to be in control. Because of her background. Can't rely on anyone else, can't let anyone in. But it's quite clear she had feelings for someone in New Mutants, but she probably denied them herself, thinking they were just friends. Maybe he reminded her of something good. Who knows?"
From Mystic Arcana, Illyana said when she relies on herself, she relies on her demonic half (which is the darkchilde), the demon Belasco has created inside of her.
#24 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i told you i misspelled it

#25 Posted by nobody1898 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Karma was the one that had a crush on shadowcat not Magik.

and when I read new mutants I got sense that she had a crush on cannonball and in a really messed up way was in love with Balesco(and not in a daddy daughter way)

#26 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
grimm said:
it says that she's gay and on her page it says that she had a crush on shadowcat
That's definitely Karma.  Someone on Marvel Database got their New Mutants mixed up.
#27 Posted by 244 (495 posts) - - Show Bio
nobody1898 said:
"Karma was the one that had a crush on shadowcat not Magik.and when I read new mutants I got sense that she had a crush on cannonball and in a really messed up way was in love with Balesco(and not in a daddy daughter way)"
You know come to think of it, Illyana was really lucky she didn't got raped by Belasco in Limbo. Really lucky.
#28 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio

The Exiles version of Illyana was Lesbian i think..

#29 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
244 said:
"nobody1898 said:
"Karma was the one that had a crush on shadowcat not Magik.and when I read new mutants I got sense that she had a crush on cannonball and in a really messed up way was in love with Balesco(and not in a daddy daughter way)"
You know come to think of it, Illyana was really lucky she didn't got raped by Belasco in Limbo. Really lucky."
At that time, Marvel would never explore anything with pedophilia, much to my relief.
#30 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio
Precise said:
"The Exiles version of Illyana was Lesbian i think.."
Sunfire was.
#31 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio

I know, but maybe Illyana is bi there.. at least that's what i read of these scans.

#32 Edited by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

she was bluffing.

and Sunfire called her on it.

#33 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
Precise said:
"The Exiles version of Illyana was Lesbian i think.."
Even if she was (which she didn't appear to be), then so what...? Isn't Ultimate Colossus gay...?  But regular Colossus (finally) had a sexual relationship with Kitty.  

It doesn't mean that the main Earth-616 version of the character is the same.  This isn't like Buffy, where Vampire Willow was a sign of regular Willow being gay... This is simply a matter of different writers trying to come up with something more different and extreme from the regular timeline.  
#34 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"Even if she was (which she didn't appear to be), then so what...? Isn't Ultimate Colossus gay...?  But regular Colossus (finally) had a sexual relationship with Kitty.  

It doesn't mean that the main Earth-616 version of the character is the same.  This isn't like Buffy, where Vampire Willow was a sign of regular Willow being gay... This is simply a matter of different writers trying to come up with something more different and extreme from the regular timeline.  
"
I never said 616 was, i simply stated the fact that Exiles Illyana could be lesbian/bi. Hence i said Exiles. And for me it doesn't matter if the character is Lesbian yes or no, my response was to the topic at hand.
#35 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
Precise said:
"I know, but maybe Illyana is bi there.. at least that's what i read of these scans.

"
She could just be mocking him there cause she's getting yelled at. She might not be remotely interested, and just be playing the game.
#36 Posted by Precise (22883 posts) - - Show Bio
Babs said:
"Precise said:
"
She could just be mocking him there cause she's getting yelled at. She might not be remotely interested, and just be playing the game."
I know, there are different interpretations of the scan. I just presented a possibility =)
#37 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio

It might have been Karma who had the crush on Kitty (She's an established and positive lesbian. Also, she was crying over Kittys photo in Manifest Destiny, and wishing she could have been there with her) but I can't say one way or the other with Illyana.

They were best friends back in the 80's, and I know at least one non-lesbian who told me of an 'adventurious encounter' with her best friend when they were both 16. So...it's not impossible. Still, a little girlish slap-and-tickle wouldn't mean either was a commited lesbian. Just...adventurious.

#38 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
John_Feaster said:
   It might have been Karma who had the crush on Kitty (She's an established and positive lesbian. Also, she was crying over Kittys ... [more]

So?  Kitty & Illyana are best friends.  The only problem was that Illyana was dead for the best part of 20 years, and now she's back Kitty's stuck in a planet sized bullet.

Don't confuse comic book characters with something that happened in real life to a couple of confused teens.  Just because you knew someone who confessed that to you, doesn't mean that every set of teen best friends has had a romantic encounter; both in real life & in comics.
#39 Posted by DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson (979 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow i didn't know that

#40 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox_kitty said:
John_Feaster said:    It might have been Karma who had the crush on Kitty (She's an established and positive lesbian. Also, she was crying ... [more]

You perhaps misunderstand me. That's not an insult. I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I was tired. I'll try again. 

As it has never been clearly defined, the question is moot. Is Illyana a lesbian? Have Illyana and Kitty ever "done it" as they say? Well, that all depends...on what a current or future writer decides.

Right now, both are straight as arrows. Kitty really is, I'm certain. Illyana's thought baloon in New Mutants Annual 1 or 2 (the one with Mojo. I forget which one) has her thinking that the grown-up Roberto Dacosta looked "Yummy!" (he'd been aged to adulthood by Mojo), so we can assume that she thought he was sexually attractive.

But...and this is the key...

A writer has NOT YET DECIDED to MAKE her a Lesbian.

If someone does, I'll deal. I have no problem with homosexuals, and my best friend in the world is VERY Gay...

But - and once again, this is the key - back in those days, Rahne Sinclair also liked Doug Ramsey "that way", and I've been told that she's a lesbian these days.

You see, if a writer decides to put it down on paper and in continuity, then someone IS gay...period. Karma didn't start off as a lesbian. She became a lesbian because someone decided she should be. She was also once a practicing Catholic, but a later writer didn't like it, so now she's a lapsed Catholic. If some other writer decides she is (and always was) a Wiccan or a Jahovahs Witness or whatever, then that'll be the truth too...for a time.

I think back to the Rawhide Kid, and how he used to be just as straight as an arrow...and was later depicted as so flippin' gay he could have joined the Village People ;>)

Nothing is set in stone with fictional characters involved in a shared univers as big as Marvel or DC. Illyana and Kitty aren't lesbians...till someone decides that they were - including previously unseen flashbacks to currently non-existant encounters - and then they will be.

Till another writer comes along and changes it again. Bucky was fish-food for half a century. Peter and Mary Jane were husband and wife for 21 years. Tony Stark and Reed Richards were once much better people.

Things change...and we wont always like those changes...

And it's possible that Illyana - who might not be now - WILL be a lesbian or bisexual in the future. If it turns out that way, then I'll shrug, say "Yeah, there was evidence to support it. I can accept that.", and their will be more "Did she and Kitty 'do it' back then?" conversation on the boards. Fan Fiction and pictures will be circulated.
#41 Posted by 244 (495 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Illyana was a lesbian, I wouldn't think she would 'do it' with Kitty because she would feel she's betraying her brother Piotr if she had done it but I suppose the Darkchilde personality from Illyana's darkside of her soul might do it secretly with Kitty.

#42 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol i think Kitty would have to want her... unless of course we're talking Rape. But it wouldn't surprise me if Kitty wanted to keep it in the family.

#43 Posted by 244 (495 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of off topic but does Illyana have a big brother complex? She really loves her brother Colossus and even sees her as her knight in shining armor.

#44 Edited by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@grimm: I believe the information is flawed, and they are referring to Karma. Shan had an unrequited love for Kitty Pryde, not Illyana. There have been numerous instances in which she has expressed her attraction towards men, however this could merely be a ploy to hide her sexual orientation. Empath once used his abilities to make Magik believe she was in love with him, but once he had the sorceress teleport them to Limbo, his power failed, as Illyana is absolute ruler of that realm. Illyana shared a brief and awkward Sapphic innuendo with Sunfire in Exiles, but the only time she has ever expressed amorous intentions with another character at any time since her creation was with Morph, a male in the same title. Illyana was intrigued by the possibilities of Morph's shape-shifting ability, but before she could reveal the object of her sexual desire, their interlude was interrupted. It has been hinted that Magik may be of the female persuasion,  however, the subject has yet to be broached. 
#45 Posted by Ryonslaught (1237 posts) - - Show Bio
@John_Feaster said:
     Rahne Sinclair also liked Doug Ramsey "that way", and I've been told that she's a lesbian these days. 
Are you saying you heard Rahn as in wolfsbane or recent x-factor and x-force fame? you heard she's gay? lol
last time i cheked she shagged Rictor and a few issues ago hooked up with the wolf prince from asgard .........i guess
you have your new mutants mixed up......

As for ilyana being gay..........i always did get a vibe from her and kitty being "soulmates" and all but thats just me
i think sexuality is flexible much like Joss. In the same breath i also got a weird kinda chemistry from Ilyana and belasco 
too much like you guys did.....

until she's classified in an official issue we are all left to perception really.......
#46 Posted by John_Feaster (341 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ryonslaught said:
" @John_Feaster said:
     Rahne Sinclair also liked Doug Ramsey "that way", and I've been told that she's a lesbian these days. 
Are you saying you heard Rahn as in wolfsbane or recent x-factor and x-force fame? you heard she's gay? lol last time i cheked she shagged Rictor and a few issues ago hooked up with the wolf prince from asgard .........i guess you have your new mutants mixed up......  As for ilyana being gay..........i always did get a vibe from her and kitty being "soulmates" and all but thats just me i think sexuality is flexible much like Joss. In the same breath i also got a weird kinda chemistry from Ilyana and belasco  too much like you guys did.....   until she's classified in an official issue we are all left to perception really....... "

@Ryonslaught: 

That's what I thought! I mean, Rhane never seemed to be attracted to girls before, but I've been told that - durring the 10 years where I just got so suck of comics that I dropped them - Rhane was being depicted as a closet lesbian. Though, I know think that the guy who said that was only reacting badly to her "Biker" period in New Mutants Volume 2... 

But yeah, though Illyana is often seeming to be a tease with various males...her idea of sexuality did seem pretty flexable. I'd call her "Bi-Curious" and leave it at that...
#47 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

@John_Feaster said:

@Ryonslaught:     That's what I thought! I mean, Rhane never seemed to be attracted to girls before, but I've been told that - durring the 10 years where I just got so suck of comics that I dropped them - Rhane was being depicted as a closet lesbian. Though, I know think that the guy who said that was only reacting badly to her "Biker" period in New Mutants Volume 2...     But yeah, though Illyana is often seeming to be a tease with various males...her idea of sexuality did seem pretty flexable. I'd call her "Bi-Curious" and leave it at that... "

Funny how guys can't handle a tom-boy, and have to therefore label someone like Rahne as a lesbian because she knew how to ride a bike & wore a leather jacket :p 

I've never seen anything other than hetero-playfulness with Illyana.  She was the most vocal around the breakfast table complaining about the lack of decent men in the New Mutants.  Back then Sam was still dating Lila Cheney, Bobby had run away with Warlock & joined the Fallen Angels, leaving only Cypher who she called a baby.  Illyana was sulking over a lack of available men; she wasn't considering chatting up girls.

#48 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it's Rahne's Man Hair that throws people off

Exhibit A
#49 Edited by 244 (495 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:

I never liked Louise Simonson's interpretation of Illyana. It's awful and very out of character. (shudders).

As for Rahne, I always saw her as a girly-girl except with short hair but the issue when Emma Frost was reparing the New Mutants' minds in NM classic #39, she discovered there's a raging hunger in Rahne's mind that would fit with the Hellfire club style so I think it stands that Rahne has been suppressing her urges and desires. Rahne's radical change of character in NM series 2, I think she was trying out a different personality but like you said she may be a tomboy. I agree with you that tomboys aren't generally lesbians.

#50 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

Rahne, for the longest, wouldn't go near Illyana as her religious background lead her to believe the girl was a step below the devil himself. So it's rather safe to assume she suppressed a loooot of her desires. It seemed that in NM2 when she lost her abilities and her hair grew out, that she was finally able to be as pretty as she always wanted to be and therefore acted in that way. Wasn't it Dani that she always envied for having such long pretty hair?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.