Magik, Cypher, And Handguns

#1 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
Why is it that Magik always goes for a pistol whenever Cypher is in trouble? I seldom see her utilize any other weapon than the Soulsword. However, when poor Doug is in danger, Illyana whips out any gun that might happen to be in her immediate vicinity, and starts firing. 

New Mutants Annual # 1

New Mutants # 60

New Mutants # 55

I'm just sayin'.
#2 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the second picture you used was a bit too late to save him...  

Personally, I always saw it as her good & protective side manifesting itself in a passionate & deadly manner.  After all, we all know that she had a Dark side to her, but they all saw Doug as a weakling and so they were all a little over-protective of Doug...  And that was her protective side.  But both Yana & Doug have changed so much, that she pretty much didn't care about leaving him in the hands of the Limbo/Inferno babies, now that she's soul-less.

#3 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:

"Well, the second picture you used was a bit too late to save him...   Personally, I always saw it as her good & protective side manifesting itself in a passionate & deadly manner.  After all, we all know that she had a Dark side to her, but they all saw Doug as a weakling and so they were all a little over-protective of Doug...  And that was her protective side.  But both Yana & Doug have changed so much, that she pretty much didn't care about leaving him in the hands of the Limbo/Inferno babies, now that she's soul-less. "

I always saw her as Doug's protector. She cared about him. He is such a nice kid.  

#4 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"Well, the second picture you used was a bit too late to save him...   Personally, I always saw it as her good & protective side manifesting itself in a passionate & deadly manner.  After all, we all know that she had a Dark side to her, but they all saw Doug as a weakling and so they were all a little over-protective of Doug...  And that was her protective side.  But both Yana & Doug have changed so much, that she pretty much didn't care about leaving him in the hands of the Limbo/Inferno babies, now that she's soul-less. "

Just a little late with New Mutants # 60, but she still goes for the pistol. I am wondering when she's going to pull out a gun to protect him in Volume 3.
#5 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, never noticed this... interesting
@Illyana Rasputin
said:

"@xerox-kitty said:

I always saw her as Doug's protector. She cared about him. He is such a nice kid.  

"

Talk about a scary lady...
#6 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
" 

Lol, never noticed this... interesting
@Illyana Rasputin
said:

"@xerox-kitty said:

"
Talk about a scary lady... "

At least she is being scary for the right reason. :)
#7 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
"
Why is it that Magik always goes for a pistol whenever Cypher is in trouble? I seldom see her utilize any other weapon than the Soulsword. However, when poor Doug is in danger, Illyana whips out any gun that might happen to be in her immediate vicinity, and starts firing. 

New Mutants Annual # 1

New Mutants # 60

New Mutants # 55

I'm just sayin'. "

#8 Posted by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't notice that before, but you're right. Can't fault her for using what she has on hand, right? Although it bothers me that she doesn't use her oh-so-awesome demon sorceress abilities much. They'd probably be of more use than guns...

#9 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
"I didn't notice that before, but you're right. Can't fault her for using what she has on hand, right? Although it bothers me that she doesn't use her oh-so-awesome demon sorceress abilities much. They'd probably be of more use than guns... "

Or at least a lot more terrifying.
#10 Posted by SC (13352 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its an innocence thing. Gut reaction, that brings out a wish for efficiency over her tendency to be up close and personal with dealing damage. 

#11 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
"I didn't notice that before, but you're right. Can't fault her for using what she has on hand, right? Although it bothers me that she doesn't use her oh-so-awesome demon sorceress abilities much. They'd probably be of more use than guns... "

Remember when Illyana scared Dani unconscious?

#12 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
"I think its an innocence thing. Gut reaction, that brings out a wish for efficiency over her tendency to be up close and personal with dealing damage.  "

It's difficult to imagine Magik with any amount of innocence, but she still does, which evokes awe and bewilderment with her character dynamic.
#13 Posted by SC (13352 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
" @SC said:
"I think its an innocence thing. Gut reaction, that brings out a wish for efficiency over her tendency to be up close and personal with dealing damage.  "
It's difficult to imagine Magik with any amount of innocence, but she still does, which evokes awe and bewilderment with her character dynamic. "
Oh, I meant two fold as well, since how she views Doug, and herself. Do you get what I mean? She would view him as a lamb kind of. This perception forces her into a shepherd sort of role, which is unusual for her, since it might be more accurate to describe her as a wolf.  At least thats why I think he spurs a different type of reaction from her, when he is in danger. 

I agree with what you said as well, nicely said. ^_^
#14 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" @Illyana Rasputin said:
" @SC said:
It's difficult to imagine Magik with any amount of innocence, but she still does, which evokes awe and bewilderment with her character dynamic. "
Oh, I meant two fold as well, since how she views Doug, and herself. Do you get what I mean? She would view him as a lamb kind of. This perception forces her into a shepherd sort of role, which is unusual for her, since it might be more accurate to describe her as a wolf.  At least thats why I think he spurs a different type of reaction from her, when he is in danger.  I agree with what you said as well, nicely said. ^_^ "

I understand where Illyana might view Doug as the proverbial sacrificial lamb, and would assume the role of his obligatory protectorate, when characteristically she is viewed as the predator. You are so eloquent. I love it .
#15 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2133 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting

#16 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Violet-Eyed Dragon said:
" interesting "
Isn't it, though?
#17 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

"
such a cuteeee picture hahaha 
#19 Posted by 244 (503 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
" @SC said:
After the Cloack and Dagger arc from the New Mutants classic, we stopped seeing her innocent half and has become darker for the rest of the series. Why hasn't any of her team mates mentioned she's becoming darker? That's my question.

@ReVamp said:
" @Illyana Rasputin:
Yeah... this thread makes me want to pick up New mutants. How is she by the way?
"

We still don't know until we read Zeb Wells' last issue of his run.
#20 Edited by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio
@244 said:

" @SC said:

After the Cloack and Dagger arc from the New Mutants classic, we stopped seeing her innocent half and has become darker for the rest of the series. Why hasn't any of her team mates mentioned she's becoming darker? That's my question.

@ReVamp

said:

" @Illyana Rasputin:
Yeah... this thread makes me want to pick up New mutants. How is she by the way?

"
We still don't know until we read Zeb Wells' last issue of his run. "
She is still the soulless construct of Belasco's devious machinations. The old Illyana is dead. This Magik is merely a  husk of the young woman who lived  before. She possesses Illyana's memories up to the point of Inferno, and has since began interacting with her fellow mutants again since  Infernus, but she is not the same Magik, at all.
#21 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
"@244 said:

" @SC said:

@ReVamp

said:

" @Illyana Rasputin:

Has that problem with her actually being a demon been resolved?
"
She is still the soulless construct of Belasco's devious machinations. The old Illyana is dead. This Magik is merely a  husk of the young woman who lived  before. She possesses Illyana's memories up to the point of Inferno, and has since began interacting with her fellow mutants again since  Infernus, but she is not the same Magik, at all.
"

This is possibly one of the reasons I don't feel like reading New Mutants, I feel like it's faking magik for some reason.
#22 Posted by oldgum (323 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
"@244 said:

" @SC said:

@ReVamp

said:

" @Illyana Rasputin:

"
"
This is possibly one of the reasons I don't feel like reading New Mutants, I feel like it's faking magik for some reason. "
Now, she have her soul restored, did that made her more interesting?
#23 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, if its been restored it makes it much more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.