How old is she supposed to be?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

just curious.

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

In 1985 she was 15. Has she aged normally since then?

#3 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it. Illyana herself has said that she had trouble keeping track of time in Limbo, so even she probably isn't certain of her age.

#4 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if years pass when she emerges from Limbo, she's still the age she was when she went in.

#5 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what you're saying.

#6 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"I'm not sure what you're saying."

She's still 15.
#7 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"She's still 15."
So she has aged normally. How was this established?
#8 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"John Valentine said:
"She's still 15."
So she has aged normally. How was this established?
"

Pix was saying that she hasn't aged since she went into Limbo, so she must be 15.
#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not what i was saying.

#10 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"That's not what i was saying.
"

It wasn't?
#11 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

See? Confusion.

#12 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

What i meant was, if Illyana were to spend a week in limbo, and then return to the real world where 4 years had passed, she'd still be the same age she was when she went in.

#13 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
No, that can't be right. Otherwise how did she age in the first place? Doesn't time actually go faster in Limbo?
#14 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

When she teleports she moves through time and space. Didn't Belasco age her? idk

#15 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't she age in limbo, then return a minute after her kidnapping or something along those lines?

#16 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember her mentioning half of her life was spent in Limbo, but i don't remember specifics. You could be correct though.

#17 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I could swear time passes more quickly in Limbo. Logically she should be much older if that's true though... I haven't kept up with all of her adventures, so I'm gonna stop conjecturing.

#18 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you may be correct about time moving faster in Limbo, but In the Quest For Magik story arc, other than some busing, the kids involved didn't change.

#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
All through the New Mutants, time didn't change between trips to Limbo & back again.  But in the Storm & Illyana mini series, Cat says that she & Illyana had been training together for 3 years, and that she doubted time will have changed for the X-Men... weird.  Still, the stepping discs could go through time, because Illyana travelled back to see Storm defeat a demon disguised as Belasco.  So maybe it has more to do with her mutant power, than her magic powers??
#20 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought she was 19

#21 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Limbo seems to have time or not have time depending on how the writers choose to use it...

unless it's actually stated in the comics however, i'm sure that no time passes in Limbo... i'm pretty sure Doom used this to his advantage when he ruled it for a short time...

M

#22 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Korg said:
"I'm not sure what you're saying."

She's still 15."
If she is still 15, and Marvel has her ass-out on their cover, then they should be ashamed of themselves.  It didn't work for Dead Or Alive, and it also wouldn't work here.  Illyana has clearly aged enough to where she can have more sex-appeal.  In other words, she is somewhere around the legal age to screw.  I'd say 18-20, but no older.
#23 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"
All through the New Mutants, time didn't change between trips to Limbo & back again.  But in the Storm & Illyana mini series, Cat says that she & Illyana had been training together for 3 years, and that she doubted time will have changed for the X-Men... weird.  Still, the stepping discs could go through time, because Illyana travelled back to see Storm defeat a demon disguised as Belasco.  So maybe it has more to do with her mutant power, than her magic powers??
"
Yeah like when her and cannonball went to rescue Magma and Sunspot from the Gladiators, the guy that she let Sym interrogate didn't age at all while being held captive in Limbo.

Constantine said:
"I thought she was 19
"
Isn't Rahne 19? she's older than Rahne... or at least, should be older than her.

#24 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
Yeah like when her and cannonball went to rescue Magma and Sunspot from the Gladiators, the guy that she let Sym interrogate didn't age at all while being held captive in Limbo.
Exactly!  And not to mention all the time leading up to & during Inferno.  Time was running parallel to the regular world then...
pixelized said:
Constantine said:
"I thought she was 19"
Isn't Rahne 19? she's older than Rahne... or at least, should be older than her.
During the first year of New X-Men, Josh reasoned with Rahne that there wasn't a big age difference between them as he was 16 and she was 19.  That was in 2004.  In the New Mutants graphic novel, Moira has a thought bubble which says Rahne's 14.  At the end of the Magik mini series Illyana says it's her 14th birthday, when it should be her 8th.  And that was right before she joined the New Mutants, so I guess they're both the same age.
#25 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

But Rahne is always accredited as being the youngest of the New Mutants, with Karma being the oldest, so Illyana has to be at least one year older than her, right? In Secret Wars II [New Mutants #30] it Clearly states Illyana as being 15 and Rahne still the youngest of the group

#26 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

True true.  Maybe Rahne was born near the end of the school year?  Or maybe Claremont ballsed up again?

#27 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

When Illyana was resurrected by Belasco in the Quest for Magik story ark from New X-men, she was a teenager. The preview pencil image of Magik from the upcoming New Mutants vol. 3, she looks no older than a teenager.

#28 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

But Belasco didn't resurrect her in Quest for Magik, she was already alive and was Darkchild by then.

#29 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess you must be referring from New Mutants Inferno then. Darkchilde Illyana mentioned Belasco summoned her by finding any memory or essence from her in Limbo. She also said of remembering things from her past. Either that or is probably retconned but I think Darkchilde Illyana did die using up all her sorcery and mutant power and Louis Simmonson mentioned the seven year old Illyana was an alternate version of her.

If Illyana wasn't killed off because of the legecy virus, it would've been cool to see her in New X-men as a normal mutant.

#30 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

She wouldn't have grown enough to join the New X-Men.  At least, not with Marvel's so-called "timeline".  The alternative version of Illyana (mentioned by Louise Simonson) wouldn't have grown up to be Darkchylde, because she hadn't been corrupted by Belasco.  She would have just grown to be a teleporting mutant. 

If Belasco summoned her based on any memories or essence of her in Limbo, then she should be the same age she was during Inferno.  That would make her a year or two younger than her classmates.

#31 Edited by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Waitaminute. Isn't the current X-men takes place seven years later after Claremont's run of The New Mutants according to their timeline?

#32 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
244 said:
"Waitaminute. Isn't the current X-men takes place seven years later after Claremont's run of The New Mutants according to their timeline?"
Really?  Where'd you read that, please??
#33 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it was mentioned that Rahne Sinclair was 18 when she became teacher for the youing mutants during the New X-men (loved Kyle and Yost's run) and Sam Guthrie is already legal to drink alcohol and was mentioned he was 16 in The New Mutants graphic novel.

#34 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Bingo!
#35 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin: Bravo. You learnt how to bump posts that no-one had read for 8 months, with a one-word answer that didn't provide anything towards the topic being discussed :p 

@244 said:
" Well, it was mentioned that Rahne Sinclair was 18 when she became teacher for the youing mutants during the New X-men (loved Kyle and Yost's run) and Sam Guthrie is already legal to drink alcohol and was mentioned he was 16 in The New Mutants graphic novel. "
I always found that weird when Elixir claimed Rahne was only 18 & therefore close to him in age.  That meant that she had only aged approximately 4 years in about 20 years of publishing.  It's physically impossible to have as many adventures that they had in that amount of comics in just 4 years. That was before Kyle & Yost took over, so I'm safe in saying it was an example of bad writing (not that Kyle & Yost are perfect, but they definitely aren't bad). 

As for Sam, he's apparently now only just 21.  That means he's aged 5 years as opposed to Wolfsbane's 4.  Still, I'm going with 'bad writing' because that was Matt Fraction's writing and he has NO sense of continuity.  Fraction makes stuff up all the time.   Like how Pixie is now supposed to be 18, meaning that she's aged 2 to 4 years in the space that Wolfsbane & Cannonball managed to age by a month or two. 

Aging in comics really REALLY annoys me.  Kitty was de-aged from a girl in her early-to-mid-twenties who had a relationship with a mature man in his 30/40's (Pete Wisdom), to being an 18 year old college student again.  Is it really SO bad to let comic characters grow a little??
#36 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Back to the topic of Illyana's age; she has to be at least 16 or 17 because comparing her with her female teamates, she looks younger judging by her body frame and she was recently came back, and from Zeb Wells' interview (I wish I have the link for it but I don't), he said she's around the same age as the others so we don't know who the "others" are. My guess would be the New X-men. I was reading a different forum and some of the posters want her to be around the same age as her teamates who are now adults but I don't see it making sense.

#37 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

So why do you think the "New X-Men" are the "others"?

#38 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Illyana looks in her mid teens despite her teamates and most of the New X-men kids are in their mid teens as well, that's just my assumption.

#39 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that interview.  Sine Zeb Wells is writing New Mutants, then I take that to mean she's around the same age as the rest of the team... It's more puzzling when you consider how Doug could have aged in the grave :p

#40 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

But Doug didn't age. He's still the same when he was killed.

#41 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly... but he doesn't look like a teenager.  He looks like he's in his early-to-mid 20's like the rest of them.

#42 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18848 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have at least thought about keeping him looking the way he did before he died.. >.>

#43 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: I have no problems with Neves' art but I'm willing to blame him for making Doug look older if he's not.
#44 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@244: But that's just it, I get the impression that Neves & Wells are making the New Mutants (the series) as if they've all grown... including those who've been dead for years.
#45 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:

" @Illyana Rasputin: Bravo. You learnt how to bump posts that no-one had read for 8 months, with a one-word answer that didn't provide anything towards the topic being discussed :p 

@244 said:

" Well, it was mentioned that Rahne Sinclair was 18 when she became teacher for the youing mutants during the New X-men (loved Kyle and Yost's run) and Sam Guthrie is already legal to drink alcohol and was mentioned he was 16 in The New Mutants graphic novel. "
I always found that weird when Elixir claimed Rahne was only 18 & therefore close to him in age.  That meant that she had only aged approximately 4 years in about 20 years of publishing.  It's physically impossible to have as many adventures that they had in that amount of comics in just 4 years. That was before Kyle & Yost took over, so I'm safe in saying it was an example of bad writing (not that Kyle & Yost are perfect, but they definitely aren't bad).  As for Sam, he's apparently now only just 21.  That means he's aged 5 years as opposed to Wolfsbane's 4.  Still, I'm going with 'bad writing' because that was Matt Fraction's writing and he has NO sense of continuity.  Fraction makes stuff up all the time.   Like how Pixie is now supposed to be 18, meaning that she's aged 2 to 4 years in the space that Wolfsbane & Cannonball managed to age by a month or two.  Aging in comics really REALLY annoys me.  Kitty was de-aged from a girl in her early-to-mid-twenties who had a relationship with a mature man in his 30/40's (Pete Wisdom), to being an 18 year old college student again.  Is it really SO bad to let comic characters grow a little?? "
@xerox-kitty:  Yes, that was a little ignorant on my part. My apologies. I was agreeing with your definition of Illyana's age following her resurrection being the same as it was during the Inferno story arc.  
#46 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin: Sorry, I came off as grumpy there.  Didn't mean to.  But the subject of comic characters ages really REALLY annoys me...
#47 Posted by Eyelash30 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

In accordinance with the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Volume 2 of 1985, Magik aka Illyana Rasputina was originally 7 when she entered into Limbo only to mystically age into the body of a 14 year old girl due to the mystical and extradimensional timespace she had spent outside of her natural reality while under the tutelage of Belasco. That was decades earlier. By the end of Inferno ranged within 1987, Magik sacrificed herself at the estimated age of 17-18 years in body age although was technically by birth certificate means 9 years of age. In the estimations of the New Mutants relaunch, Magik could in 2011 technically be within her late thirties, yet she's been reanimated with magics and contains traces of demonic energies within her magics aging her body to the estimated range of 19 or 20 to her level of maturity and mystical expertise.

#48 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Never try to make sense of comic characters aging at a consistent pace with their peers, they are simply whatever age the current writer feels like making them.

- Same goes for the look of the younger set changing out of nowhere, I swear Jubilee and Pixie grew at least 2 years older and cup sizes bigger between appearances.

- I have nothing with slowing the aging of characters, just set the dial the same for everyone

#49 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3525 posts) - - Show Bio

It probably has to do with the fact that her mutant powers gave her the potential to travel back and forward in time, depending on how she modified her stepping disc. She seems to use her discs more for basic teleportation and hasn't explored the time travel aspects of them. Probably because Professor Xavier and Magneto didn't want her messing with the time lines and feared what damage she could do to them. She is one of the few teleporters that can travel backwards or forwards, whereas most are limited to the present, just moving within this timeline.

#50 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

It probably has to do with the fact that her mutant powers gave her the potential to travel back and forward in time, depending on how she modified her stepping disc. She seems to use her discs more for basic teleportation and hasn't explored the time travel aspects of them. Probably because Professor Xavier and Magneto didn't want her messing with the time lines and feared what damage she could do to them. She is one of the few teleporters that can travel backwards or forwards, whereas most are limited to the present, just moving within this timeline.

Time has no meaning in Limbo so I think it has more to do which timeline Magik wishes to transport to. I have this idea that she can only control Limbo's stepping discs, not create it because she teleports via Limbo, but that's just my prediction.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.