Forget Marvel Manga: Try Marvel Manhua

Posted by gia (39 posts) - - Show Bio
Okay, most of you are already familiar with manga, but how many of you have picked up a manhwa (from Korea) or a manhua (from China)? They're a bit rarer, but becoming more and more common. TOKYOPOP recently released Chinese artist Benjamin's Orange, a simply stunning full-color one-shot graphic novel.

Why should you guys care? Because I'm guessing someone at Marvel picked up Orange-- and they were as impressed as I was. How do I know? Because Deb over at about.com has spotted Benjamin's work gracing the cover of Marvel's New Mutants #1.

Benjamin's painting, of Marvel's Magik, is one of two variant covers for the new series, which hit stores on Wednesday. And if you just want to try out some more of Benjamin's work, Deb also points to TOKYOPOP's free 23-page online preview of Orange, which is a great way to get a taste.

What do you think? Would you put this on your coffee table, or would you rather stick with more traditional cover art?
#1 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the first I've heard of this style.  I don't know about the format, but I absolutely LOVE that cover painting--at least, I hope it's a painting. Beautiful, just great vibrant colors.  Don't know if I'd pick one up, I'd flip through it to check it out, but I want that painting!!!!

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated it, immensely.

#3 Posted by King Saturn (224186 posts) - - Show Bio
I may get Bold... and try it out
#4 Edited by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

It's great! Mainstream comics need more variety!

#5 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think Marvel needs more stuff like this. I would buy a comic with interiors done by Bejamin, it's not so much like a Alex Ross or many others who paint their art, but has a certain appealing Eastern flair to it with the bright colors and art style in general. Orange's interiors were phenomenal, so, yeah, if Marvel ever moved Benjamin from covers to interiors, I'd definitely buy whatever they put him on.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91230 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"I hated it, immensely."

#7 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"I hated it, immensely."

#8 Edited by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
Personally, I've loved Benjamin's style for the last couple of years.  It's funky & fresh and you can see that a lot of work goes into it.  I prefer his style to that of Alex Ross. 

However...

pixelized
said:
"I hated it, immensely."
Most people hate it.  It's sad to say that the only work they've seen is that one Magik variant cover (which Forbidden Planet had obviously pulled out to sell as an expensive variant before putting it on the shelf).  However, I doubt that some of his non-Marvel work will convert his non-fans.
#9 Posted by rouju (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't DC COmic already try it with Batman : Hongkong? I kinda like it but (and I came from Asian region) but I have to admit, that China style of comic is kinda absurd in the fighting section, just look at Batman : Hongkong, or maybe Capcom vs SNK Series. But I think this might work, the girl look pretty

#10 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good to me

#11 Posted by infinityandbeyond (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little bit glad about the news...not all Asians have information to Marvel Comics. I can say that maybe there are up to 50% of the Asians that are updated about Marvel cause they just depend on its TV series or movies. They love reading manga more. If Marvel would do something like a new mangaverse, I think Asians would be more updated to Marvel. I'm an Asian so I know...

#12 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I really, really like the colours on that art.

But, the character herself just looks.....strange.

#13 Posted by Crimson Orchid (5825 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a few friends who brought some of those books from Korea.  They really are something else.

#14 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done!

#15 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@gia: I loved it!
#16 Posted by MoonDragn (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Manhua is just the Chinese pronounciation of Manga. Same words.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.