How much can he duplicate?

#1 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a question of how many duplicates he can make, but how much extra mass he can duplicate. I know he can duplicate his clothes(obviously), but what else can he make copies of? In issue 28 of X-Factor he carries a gun into a Purifier base and makes duplicates that are carrying their own gun. In another issue Hydra had planned on having him hold nukes and make copies of them (to clarify, he never actually did this, it was just speculation). So any other instances of object duplication that might shed more light on this? And would duped objects disappear when copies are reabsorbed?

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91226 posts) - - Show Bio

Great question Buck,I'm kind of curious myself of the extent of his powers.

#3 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

No clue. He did the same with Trash cans. He had an army of them.

#4 Posted by ronin alexsnder (7817 posts) - - Show Bio

he had an army of trash cans?

#5 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

ronin alexsnder says:

"he had an army of trash cans?"

Error. He had an army of clones, holding trash cans lids.

#6 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

But on a larger scale.

#7 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh, I didn't even know Madrox could dupe objects!

That would be so useful with food and water. Ahh, the world we would live in...

Wanders off dreamily.

#8 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

That brings up the question of if he can duplicate (living) organic matter. I doubt it since that's more major than duping clothes which was probably just done because it was practical anyway. Could he duplicate a couple suitcases full of hundreds though? How long after he was gone would it stick around?

#9 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"That brings up the question of if he can duplicate (living) organic matter. I doubt it since that's more major than duping clothes which was probably just done because it was practical anyway. Could he duplicate a couple suitcases full of hundreds though? How long after he was gone would it stick around?"

Doesn't it stay around after he makes it? I know his copies don't I think. But inorganic objects don't usually drag back to the original. As for how many of himselves he can make marvel never kept it at a number. As usual they wanna make it seem more then it probably is. Same thing they did with quicksilver at one time when he was saying to the guy "how about mach 10,11 how about even 15 they still got you doing that?" So yeah the true number may never be known. Although I do like the idea of hundreds.

#10 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"That brings up the question of if he can duplicate (living) organic matter. I doubt it since that's more major than duping clothes which was probably just done because it was practical anyway. Could he duplicate a couple suitcases full of hundreds though? How long after he was gone would it stick around?"

If his dupes die, it doesn't automatically go back into the his body again, right? So, if thats true then wouldn't that apply to everything else that dupes with him?

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Doesn't it stay around after he makes it? I know his copies don't I think. But inorganic objects don't usually drag back to the original."

Have you actually seen what happens to duped objects after he's done with them or are you just assuming?

zee crusher says:

"As for how many of himselves he can make marvel never kept it at a number. As usual they wanna make it seem more then it probably is. Same thing they did with quicksilver at one time when he was saying to the guy "how about mach 10,11 how about even 15 they still got you doing that?" So yeah the true number may never be known. Although I do like the idea of hundreds."

At one point Marvel did have it at a number (think it was 30 or 40) but his abilities have changed and that number has apparently changed as well.

Copy says:

"If his dupes die, it doesn't automatically go back into the his body again, right? So, if thats true then wouldn't that apply to everything else that dupes with him?"

I don't know, that's why I'm asking the question. Seems logical enough though. Still have the question of how much extra mass he can duplicate. So far the biggest thing was trash can lids and potentially nukes.

#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91226 posts) - - Show Bio

-Madrox hasn't been seen to dupe himself more than 40 times but it isn't known whether he can potentially do better than that.

-Anything connected to Madrox will dupe with him.Also his duplication isn't very stable.The more he dupes,the more unstable the process becomes.Dupes may gain a mind of their own and not wish to return to him.Also his clothes or objects he's holding may appear to have differences.As seen in the picture above where he is holding shields with M's on them...all the M's aren't exactly he same.His shirt has also appeared different at times.

-If Madrox was to be holding a suitcase of hundreds...depending on how many times he duped..some of those hundreds may appear to be fake because they would look different than the others.

#13 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"zee crusher says:
"Doesn't it stay around after he makes it? I know his copies don't I think. But inorganic objects don't usually drag back to the original."

Have you actually seen what happens to duped objects after he's done with them or are you just assuming?

zee crusher says:

"As for how many of himselves he can make marvel never kept it at a number. As usual they wanna make it seem more then it probably is. Same thing they did with quicksilver at one time when he was saying to the guy "how about mach 10,11 how about even 15 they still got you doing that?" So yeah the true number may never be known. Although I do like the idea of hundreds."

At one point Marvel did have it at a number (think it was 30 or 40) but his abilities have changed and that number has apparently changed as well.

Copy says:

"If his dupes die, it doesn't automatically go back into the his body again, right? So, if thats true then wouldn't that apply to everything else that dupes with him?"

I don't know, that's why I'm asking the question. Seems logical enough though. Still have the question of how much extra mass he can duplicate. So far the biggest thing was trash can lids and potentially nukes."

1.I'm just assuming. Marvel should have given a better understanding. They can give a good one for magneto, graviton, and klaw but not madrox makes no sense. How hard is it to give a number of how many and how long right??

2.Yeah I remember that. Then they went crazy and said it could be some other number but forgot to give us some number hate that..

3.Its okay to ask this question cause I been thinking about this for like ever. If they had enough people in this category of powers they probably put him in a class. Like how they would have the thing and wonder woman in strength but different classes. Although I'd really like to know lol.

#14 Posted by Shatterstar (4546 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

You're probably thinking deeper into this than you should.

Human bodies have a huge amount of non-human organic living things in their bodies- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flora Bacteria alone accounts for 2-4 pounds of a person's weight, so unless the dupes are unable to digest food or pass gas or whatever other vital functions bacteria provide, he dupes organic material.

#15 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"-Madrox hasn't been seen to dupe himself more than 40 times but it isn't known whether he can potentially do better than that.-Anything connected to Madrox will dupe with him.Also his duplication isn't very stable.The more he dupes,the more unstable the process becomes.Dupes may gain a mind of their own and not wish to return to him.Also his clothes or objects he's holding may appear to have differences.As seen in the picture above where he is holding shields with M's on them...all the M's aren't exactly he same.His shirt has also appeared different at times.-If Madrox was to be holding a suitcase of hundreds...depending on how many times he duped..some of those hundreds may appear to be fake because they would look different than the others."

-Pretty sure (meaning I've seen it in a comic but can't remember where) he's no longer limited to 40.

-Dupes gaining minds of their own and that only being a possibility is from a while back. Now it's guaranteed. They always have their own personalities, opinions and ideas even if it's only one more dupe. Are the differences really there or is it just the art? If duplicating multiple things caused physical changes so easily, would duplicating numerous guns (like he has) even work if any of their parts duplicated incorrectly?

-Source?

Shatterstar says:

"You're probably thinking deeper into this than you should.Human bodies have a huge amount of non-human organic living things in their bodies- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_flora Bacteria alone accounts for 2-4 pounds of a person's weight, so unless the dupes are unable to digest food or pass gas or whatever other vital functions bacteria provide, he dupes organic material."

I probably am, but I'm curious. I think the non-human organic matter would be like the clothes. It just works because it's practical. Instead of having him walk around naked all the time (and having to cover it up) or waste time looking for clothes every time he used his powers, they just let him duplicate his clothes. Same with the junk inside him. If not, would that mean he could duplicate a gerbil or something? Maybe another human? A gerbil would be under the weight of the bacteria, but a human would go back to the question of how much he can dupe.

#16 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

He can create and unlimited amount.

#17 Posted by Boken (7756 posts) - - Show Bio

I would assume that the stuff would be reabsorbed into him when he did it, but then again what would happen if he were to drop the weapon. would the dupes lose the weapons to? these are sopme of the questions that comics never seem to answer.

#18 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if he has ever tried to duplicate money.

#19 Posted by Ebony Bishop (767 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it's way more than 40 now. Again, not sure of the exact issue, but he took out a Hydra base just be constantly duping himself until the pressure of all the bodies crushed everyone in the base. X-Factor, but not sure which issue.

#20 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast stated that he can do an unlimited amount. This was stated when jamie accidently became wendigo from eating one of his duplicates and there were hundreds of wendigos attackin wakanda. I shall post that in the respek thread.

#21 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"This isn't a question of how many duplicates he can make, but how much extra mass he can duplicate. "

#22 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"Buckshot said:
"This isn't a question of how many duplicates he can make, but how much extra mass he can duplicate. "

"
#23 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

That "to an extent" is what I'm trying to figure out.

#24 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

I see like he if was touching a buildin and snapped his finger would there be another? Don't think he strong enough to do that yet. Most amazing thing I've seen him do is put his hand inside a monsters mouth snap his finger and it exploded because another jamie was inside the monster.

#25 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you post pics on the site now? I tried to post them for the respek thread on jamie and it all came out simply links.

#26 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
zee crusher said:
"I see like he if was touching a buildin and snapped his finger would there be another? Don't think he strong enough to do that yet. Most amazing thing I've seen him do is put his hand inside a monsters mouth snap his finger and it exploded because another jamie was inside the monster.
"
That's not amazing in relation to what I'm asking. Duplicating himself inside something living (which he's done twice) is not duplicating additional mass. Now if he had held onto the monster and duplicated it, that would be helpful.

zee crusher said:
"How do you post pics on the site now? I tried to post them for the respek thread on jamie and it all came out simply links.
"
Don't worry about it, I'm just going to delete the thread. It's just another gallery and you couldn't even spell his name right. If you want to make a respect thread so badly, make a gallery for it on your own page.
#27 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
"zee crusher said:
"I see like he if was touching a buildin and snapped his finger would there be another? Don't think he strong enough to do that yet. Most amazing thing I've seen him do is put his hand inside a monsters mouth snap his finger and it exploded because another jamie was inside the monster.
"
That's not amazing in relation to what I'm asking. Duplicating himself inside something living (which he's done twice) is not duplicating additional mass. Now if he had held onto the monster and duplicated it, that would be helpful.

zee crusher said:
"How do you post pics on the site now? I tried to post them for the respek thread on jamie and it all came out simply links.
"
Don't worry about it, I'm just going to delete the thread. It's just another gallery and you couldn't even spell his name right. If you want to make a respect thread so badly, make a gallery for it on your own page.
"
I meant in terms of being amazin. In terms of duplication things he touches marvel never gave a clear answer on that. But its assumped in times he can grow to manipulate large objects.

Also what I posted wasn't a gallery. It had feats. I didn't even notice i spelled his name wrong my bad. It be to slow if i posted on my page.
#28 Posted by Djinn (778 posts) - - Show Bio

he cant duplicate objects only his clothes

#29 Posted by Ketch (327 posts) - - Show Bio
Djinn said:
"he cant duplicate objects only his clothes"

There are several examples in this thread that disprove your statement. For instance, in the first three posts guns and trash can lids were cited. Also, in the latest issue of X-Factor he runs around town with pictures of Darwin that he's duplicated.
#30 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it's never been stated, has it? There's no clear answer to this question since (to my knowledge) he has never shown a true limit to his powers. Some the hypotheses that have been mentioned would make for interesting plots though, like duplicating another person. Would the other person have the ability to absorb his/her dupe? What would happen then? Would there just be two Monets forever now or something? It wouldn't be unreasonable to say that, though Madrox may have these powers he doesn't know how to use them or else he would be creating duplicates of his team or duping buildings on top of people. Since the floor of whatever he's standing on doesn't dupe with him, does that mean that buildings are his limit or does he have to select which objects he wants to dupe? Still, if his powers reached to these extents, wouldn't he have accidentally reached them by now? Then again, we might simply be looking too far into this.

#31 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio
Copy said:
"

Buckshot says:

If his dupes die, it doesn't automatically go back into the his body again, right? So, if thats true then wouldn't that apply to everything else that dupes with him?

"

no,he senses the copy ding,but haves to reabsorb him personaly
#32 Posted by Ultimate Magneto (1189 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's safe to say that he cannot dupe other living beings and creatures, but himself and certain small non-organic objects (like guns and such) only. The extent as to just how big something has to be before it's too big to be duped, however, is a good question. Perhaps nothing bigger in general mass and weight than half his body?

#33 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio
Ultimate Magneto said:
"I think it's safe to say that he cannot dupe other living beings and creatures, but himself and certain small non-organic objects (like guns and such) only. The extent as to just how big something has to be before it's too big to be duped, however, is a good question. Perhaps nothing bigger in general mass and weight than half his body?"
Good theory.
#34 Posted by Djinn (778 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont know what i was thinking posting that, i read all x-factor and almost every other thing with him in it i forgot about that

#35 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there's a mass limit on what he can dupe.  Clothes will easily account for 10 to 15 pounds of a duplication, for example.  A loaded pistol would be 5 to 10 pounds, and so forth.

I like to think that Madrox will eventually be held accountable by the universe itself for breaking the law of conservation of matter.  Maybe the objects he duplicates will decay faster?  Or break more easily?  Or eventually explode?

#36 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Factor 211

To infinity ... and beyond! 

#37 Posted by Demas (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chesapeake: They're not asking how many dupes can he make... they're asking how much stuff besides himself can he copy during a duplication.  Like, if someone jumped on his back, his powers wouldn't duplicate that person... but if he put on a backpack, that backpack would probably duplicate... so, basically, how big a backpack can Jamie dupe.
#38 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio
@Demas said:

" @Chesapeake: They're not asking how many dupes can he make... they're asking how much stuff besides himself can he copy during a duplication.  Like, if someone jumped on his back, his powers wouldn't duplicate that person... but if he put on a backpack, that backpack would probably duplicate... so, basically, how big a backpack can Jamie dupe. "

I have not read that there is a limit of how many times he can duplicate. Per the last X-factor issue 211, he duplicates accordingly to the hit he takes. When he copies something the same principal apply there. Therefore, the amount of elements he could copy is  infinitely  and goes beyond.
#39 Posted by Demas (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chesapeake: But that's over several dupes not with just one... the same principle wouldn't necessarily apply because iterative feats aren't the same as a collected feat... for example, I could climb a thousand feet going up stairs... but that doesn't mean I can climb a thousand feat in one step.
#40 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio
@Demas: 
I have to check but I do not think a dupe can duplicate itself otherwise it will be a new mutant. Therefore If you take just a dupe to apply the whole premise about duplicating things, it does not work. So the only person that  duplicate things is Madrox. I am pretty sure, he can duplicate an incredible number of objects when he is duplicating himself. 
#41 Posted by Demas (209 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chesapeake said:
" @Demas:  I have to check but I do not think a dupe can duplicate itself otherwise it will be a new mutant. Therefore If you take just a dupe to apply the whole premise about duplicating things, it does not work. So the only person that  duplicate things is Madrox. I am pretty sure, he can duplicate an incredible number of objects when he is duplicating himself.  "
That's still frequency versus amplitude.  Just because you can throw 2,000 1-ft-lbs jabs doesn't mean you can throw a single 1-ft-ton punch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.