Can his dupes reabsorb each other?

#1 Posted by Nolim (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously, a dupe can create its own dupes and reabsorb them.
But can a dupe reabsorb any other dupe, regardless of lineage?

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe so, but I can't think of a specific example.

#3 Posted by Nolim (8 posts) - - Show Bio

In this case, why bother with a Madrox "Prime"? What particular role does he have in the collective?

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16296 posts) - - Show Bio
I cannot think of a specific example, however, when Madrox succumbed to the legacy virus, a dupe became the new Madrox Prime.

@Nolim said:
" In this case, why bother with a Madrox "Prime"? What particular role does he have in the collective? "
Madrox Prime is the dominant personality, composed of all personality traits and all skill sets. Madrox's dupes only display certain personality types. Moreover, in order that they display certain skills/feats, they must have been made after Madrox Prime initially acquired said skill.
#5 Edited by Nolim (8 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

" I cannot think of a specific example, however, when Madrox succumbed to the legacy virus, a dupe became the new Madrox Prime.

Wasn't it retconned as the dead Madrox having been a dupe all along?

@John Valentine

said:

Moreover, in order that they display certain skills/feats, they must have been made after Madrox Prime initially acquired said skill. "

They can also learn new skills on their own, which Madrox Prime won't possess until after he reabsorbed them.
#6 Posted by John Valentine (16296 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nolim said:
" @John Valentine said:

" I cannot think of a specific example, however, when Madrox succumbed to the legacy virus, a dupe became the new Madrox Prime.

Wasn't it retconned as the dead Madrox having been a dupe all along?

@John Valentine

said:

Moreover, in order that they display certain skills/feats, they must have been made after Madrox Prime initially acquired said skill. "

They can also learn new skills on their own, which Madrox Prime won't possess until after he reabsorbed them. "
Not sure. 

Yes, they can. New dupes will only possess the new skill if Madrox has reabsorbed the dupe who acquired the skill.
#7 Posted by Nolim (8 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:

Yes, they can. New dupes will only possess the new skill if Madrox has reabsorbed the dupe who acquired the skill.

New dupes will also possess the new skill if they were created by the dupe who acquired the skill. Reabsorbing another dupe can provide them with new skills as well.

In my opinion, it is really weird to have Madrox Prime on one side and a disorganised bunch of dupes on the other.
I much prefer to think of Madrox Prime as the root of a tree. He has dupes, including the dupes' dupes. Each dupe has its own subset of dupes. And so on.
#8 Posted by John Valentine (16296 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nolim said:
" @John Valentine said:

New dupes will also possess the new skill if they were created by the dupe who acquired the skill. Reabsorbing another dupe can provide them with new skills as well.  In my opinion, it is really weird to have Madrox Prime on one side and a disorganised bunch of dupes on the other. I much prefer to think of Madrox Prime as the root of a tree. He has dupes, including the dupes' dupes. Each dupe has its own subset of dupes. And so on. "
Wait, can dupes reabsorb/ create dupes?
#9 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
" @Nolim said:
" @John Valentine said:

New dupes will also possess the new skill if they were created by the dupe who acquired the skill. Reabsorbing another dupe can provide them with new skills as well.  In my opinion, it is really weird to have Madrox Prime on one side and a disorganised bunch of dupes on the other. I much prefer to think of Madrox Prime as the root of a tree. He has dupes, including the dupes' dupes. Each dupe has its own subset of dupes. And so on. "
Wait, can dupes reabsorb/ create dupes? "

It seems so. Though if a dupe is on its own for too long he'll lose the ability to duplicate like John Maddox did.
#10 Posted by Nolim (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Part of my reasons for starting this thread is something I read about Chaos War X-Men #1.

Louise Simonson said in an interview *very minor spoiler*: 

And these Multiple Men, who were happily part of a composite, are now, in death, stuck as separate beings and long for the old unity. They don't have flashy powers. Will they be good enough?

Since Madrox's powers were never considered "flashy", she may or may not mean they lost them. And if they didn't, they might be unable to merge because of the absence of Madrox Prime.
#11 Posted by Virus_Warning (206 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nolim said:
" Part of my reasons for starting this thread is something I read about Chaos War X-Men #1.

Louise Simonson said in an interview *very minor spoiler*: 

And these Multiple Men, who were happily part of a composite, are now, in death, stuck as separate beings and long for the old unity. They don't have flashy powers. Will they be good enough?

Since Madrox's powers were never considered "flashy", she may or may not mean they lost them. And if they didn't, they might be unable to merge because of the absence of Madrox Prime.
"

Madrox's powers only got "cool" recently with Peter David's X-Factor so he's never had flashy powers
To add to what Prince said, maybe Prime's gone so they can't merge with each other but can create/absorb their own dupes?
Just flinging answers in the dark here since I don't know what "Chaos War X-Men" is
-Virus
#12 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

Good questions. I can not think a specific example but I think it's not posible. Dupes had gone rogue but I had never read they can absorb other dupes or have the intention of doing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.