Follow

Madman

Character » Madman appears in 179 issues.

Frank Einstein is the snappiest hero around.

Do you think Freakazoid! is a rip-off of Madman?

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Bookman

Well? Do you?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I think both characters are worthless.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SUNMAN

he is not. Freakazoid was awesome.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

Madman is soooooooo much better.  Some of the similarities are the symbol, blue skin and sometimes wacky behavior.  I've been tempted to buy the dvd (or maybe I did and just don't remember).   Allred never said anything about the similarities while the show was on.

This was Allred's response on his message boards after the fact:

[Show creator] Bruce Timm was kind enough to tell me that Madman was a direct inspiration for the show--with comics open and referred to when developing the show.

Stupidly, I was flattered--happy to inspire anything. But when the show came out--with no acknowledgement or credit or any kind of compensation--I slowly became annoyed as everyone and their uncle confronted me with "there's this cartoon that's ripping off Madman" and "you outtah [sic] sue"

I simply wrote a friendly letter to [show producer] Steven Spielberg telling him his production was a direct lift of my creation, I had no intention of creating ripples--I just wanted him to know that I knew. No one replied--which is fine. And to be honest, Madman is an amalgam of a half a dozen other influences. So who am I to complain (the exclamation mark on the chest still kindah [sic] urks [sic] me a little though. A little too close for comfort).

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Nahero

Freakazoid was so funny i didn't understand much about him at all though was he a superhero or just some crazy guy who did shenanigans

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By G'bandit

I loved FREAKAZOID! It was so funny.. I have no idea who the heck Madman is but I sure know the Freak in red tights that thinks he can fly XD

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SUNMAN
    aztek the lost said:
    "SUNMAN said:
    "he is not. Freakazoid was awesome."
    and by that are you implying that Madman isn't? the X-Men are 'awesome' but as everyone knows they are a rip-off of the Doom Patrol, rip-offs don't have to be worse
    "
    sorry I was replying to Vance Astro, should have probably quoted him. I do not really know madman, but I was saying the Freakazoid is awesome. He was hilarious when I was younger
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By G'bandit
    aztek the lost said:
    "SUNMAN said:
    "he is not. Freakazoid was awesome."
    and by that are you implying that Madman isn't? the X-Men are 'awesome' but as everyone knows they are a rip-off of the Doom Patrol, rip-offs don't have to be worse
    Wait what? Really? X-men is a rip off? I didn't know that, then again Mento is the leader of the Doom Patrol and in X-men Xavier is also a psychic..Umm, coincidence?  XD

By the way also Deadpool look how awesome he is even if he is a rip off of Slade XD

<---------Deadpool fan boy :P

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By geraldthesloth

Freakazoid was one of the funniest shows when i was a kid

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SUNMAN
    aztek the lost said:
    "G'bandit said:
    "Wait what? Really? X-men is a rip off? I didn't know that, then again Mento is the leader of the Doom Patrol and in X-men Xavier is also a psychic..Umm, coincidence?  XD"
    you didn't know that? the X-Men is a total rip-off, from the team "leader" being a paraplegic, to its members being "freaks" that the world rejects...the X-Men may have had more success but Doom Patrol was the original
    "
    X-men arguably started off as a rip-off but they have grown to much more, and are now very different. I mean it is hard to be totally original nowadays anyway, but things can have similarities to other things whether intentional or not. I think you need to look  at characters fully not just what they have in common, but their differences. If two or more characters do not have that much to differentiate themselves from one another, than yes the character created second would be a rip-off.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By G'bandit
    aztek the lost said:
    "G'bandit said:
    "Wait what? Really? X-men is a rip off? I didn't know that, then again Mento is the leader of the Doom Patrol and in X-men Xavier is also a psychic..Umm, coincidence?  XD"
    you didn't know that? the X-Men is a total rip-off, from the team "leader" being a paraplegic, to its members being "freaks" that the world rejects...the X-Men may have had more success but Doom Patrol was the original
    "
    Nope I had no clue XD

but I see now all the similarities XD

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By warlock360

who was first?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.