g_man's Madman All-New Giant-Size Super Ginchy Special! #1 - If I Should Live To See The Day I Die; It's All In The Song; On The Road: Bang! review

As A Huge Madman Fan, Will This Live Up To My Expectations?

It's no secret that I'm a big Madman/Mike Allred fan. I absolutely love the character. Will this special feed my Madman needs or will my high expectations bias my thoughts?

The Good

Madman, Mike Allred, Laura Allred. That's what I want. Plus we also have members of the Atomics here. I'm enjoying Mike Allred's work on I, Zombie but of course I want to see more Madman stories. The main story features Madman up against Cadaver. It's a trippy story, in a typical Allred fashion.

Since it's a giant-sized super ginchy issue, we also have story and art by Emi Lonox, Matt Kindt and Tonci Zonjic. I've always been afraid that someday Allred would allow Madman to be written and drawn by others. I dig the different interpretations but I'm glad it was only done for this special. There were some pretty sweet pin-ups in the back as well.

The Bad

I love Madman. Am I biased? I like to think that I have a higher standard when it comes to Madman comics. That being said, I loved the main story. It wasn't necessarily a typical Madman story but a nice twist. I can appreciate Madman stories by others but it's not what I want right now. Maybe I've been spoiled by only reading Allred Madman stories but that's just how it is.

It's the return of Mike Allred and Madman. This is clearly a book for Madman fans as we get to see several familiar characters appearing briefly during the main story. It's a trippy story that isn't a surprise coming from the mind of Allred. The other stories give us interesting interpretations on the characters but honestly, not what I'm looking for in a Madman comic. As part of a special, I can accept it. Also, the pin-ups by so many different artist was a blast to see. Let's hope this is the beginning of more Madman comics!
Posted by ArtisticNeedham

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I did buy it.
Could the back up stories be Mike Allred trying out artists who might fill in for him from time to time or take over Madman while he is on a break?

Posted by Eisenheim

I forgot this came out today, I know what I'm buying first thing in the morning! :)

Posted by Silkcuts

Can't believe I missed this at the shop today.
Sounds great
^_^

Posted by G-Man
@ArtisticNeedham: I think (and hope) it's more a matter of letting others play with Madman. Allred is heavily invested in the character. People probably wouldn't accept it easily.
Staff Online

Other reviews for Madman All-New Giant-Size Super Ginchy Special! #1 - If I Should Live To See The Day I Die; It's All In The Song; On The Road: Bang!