Follow

Madelyne Pryor

Character » Madelyne Pryor appears in 1117 issues.

Madelyne Pryor is Cyclops's first wife, Cable's mother, and a clone of Jean Grey created by Mr. Sinister. After Cyclops abandoned her and her son, she was tricked and seduced by demons to harness great demonic power.

Was she always bad?

Avatar image for x_men_codename__phoenix
    x-men codename: Phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Was Madelyne Pryor always evil or was there a certain time where she was turned evil?

Zanatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Zanatos

She is a character that sways from good to evil (and vice-versa).  Originally she was good, but a pawn of Mr. Sinister.  Then she went evil, attacked Jean, and died.  Then she was a shell and good as an ally of X-Man, and now she is a shell but bad and leader of the sisterhood.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Zanatos said:
    "She is a character that sways from good to evil (and vice-versa).  Originally she was good, but a pawn of Mr. Sinister.  Then she went evil, attacked Jean, and died.  Then she was a shell and good as an ally of X-Man, and now she is a shell but bad and leader of the sisterhood."
    Hmmmmm...so is that a yes?
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Korg

She wasn't evil until Scott abandoned her. After that she snapped. It's understandable, it was a dick move on his part.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By dane

yeah, they were married and eventually had children - Cable. He dumped her when he found out she was a clone and the real Jean was alive etc and she went nuts.

The recent issue of Uncanny lends weight to the argument that the leader of the Sisterhood isn't Madelyne Pryor btw, if she was Made (a clone of Jean) she would already have access to Jean's genetic data, as it is hers also.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zoom
    @Korg said:
    "She wasn't evil until Marvel decided that Claremont writing Cyclops out of the X-Books was unacceptable and decided to bring back Scott and Jean.  With Jean back, they needed Maddie gone and what better way to get rid of somebody than make them go completely crazy to justify a massive crossover where they can eventually kill the character off.
    Fixed it for you.

@Korg said:
    "Scott abandoned her. it was a dick move on his part. "
    Totally agree.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zoom

S'ym was a bamf back in the day, breaking adamantium and killing Colossus.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Truex said:
    " Didn't S'ym kill everyone except Storm? "
    He killed Colossus in an alternate future, and the body was left in Limbo to torment Illyana.  Nightcrawler was turned into a snivelling demon servant, Kitty became half demon-cat with a 'kill everything that moves' attitude, and Storm became a witch who tried to teach Illyana good magic.

Cyclops ditched Maddy & baby Cable as soon as he heard Jean had come back to life.  Maddy then went on the run as the Marauders were sent to kill her, which is when the X-Men found her in San Francisco.  Her relationship with Havok wasn't instant... but did lead to him wearing the worst outfit in comics history (as the Goblin Prince during Inferno).  

But as a clone, Maddy only gained conscious thought when Phoenix sacrificed herself on the moon.  Phoenix sought out Jean's body cocooned on the floor of Jamaica Bay.  Jean unconsciously rejected the Phoenix, and therefore it was drawn to her genetic clone.  The contact with the Phoenix gave Maddy life, and also gave her powers.  She subconsciously caused Cyclops' defeat when he battled powerless Storm for the leadership of the X-Men, as she resented him spending so much time with them.  It was pretty much an unhappy marriage as soon as they tied the knot... but that still didn't excuse the way that Cyclops just walked out the door.
    PeppRmintBUDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeppRmintBUDy

Madelyne was a good character until that boring idiot Cyclops abandoned her and there child. She grew to resent/hate him (and Jean) for destroying their family and that hatred drove her insane. This process also awakened her latent mutant powers (telepathy and telekinesis). Then the demon N'astirh used that pain to turn her evil (into the Goblin Queen) and also boosted her power using black magic...the rest is history i guess...

VtwinsV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VtwinsV

who do you guys like better jean grey or madelyne pryor?

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IcePrince_X

Jean of course but I pity Madelyne Pryor

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xerox_kitty

Can we not turn this into another brain dead 'i love jean all telepaths wish they cud b her xcuz shes so cool an they all hos' thread, please.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zoom
    VtwinsV said:
    who do you guys like better jean grey or madelyne pryor?
    Maddie.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    xerox_kitty said:
    Can we not turn this into another brain dead 'i love jean all telepaths wish they cud b her xcuz ... [more]
    LOL
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Korg
    xerox_kitty said:
    Can we not turn this into another brain dead 'i love jean all telepaths wish they cud b her xcuz ... [more]
    To be fair, Madelyne's recent portrayals kind of play right into that. It's only going to get worse from here, considering the direction Fraction is taking things in.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty
    Korg said:
    xerox_kitty said: Can we not turn this into another brain dead 'i love jean all telepaths wish they cud b ... [more]
    I don't mind the original subject of the thread.  It's certain members who are over-enthusiastic with their love of Jean Grey that they love to bash all other telepathic characters in a childish manner that I object to.

Personally, I'm confused with this whole 'Red Queen' ordeal.  Some say she's not Maddie, others say she is.  It doesn't help that with Greg Land, it's impossible to tell if she's meant to look like Maddie & Jean or not.  I wasn't keen on when they resurrected her to mess around with Nate Grey, but if this is Maddie as the Red Queen then I'm absolutely gonna hate Fraction's decharacterisation even more... which I didn't think was possible ;)
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Korg

Fraction is taking the book to places I just will not follow. As I said, it will only get worse. I fully expect to see Jean Grey again in the next couple months. Fraction/Land has been horrible for Uncanny.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By kiss_lamia

is madie still trapped in body of that woman that wasn't jean in the end? i can't remember lol

Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Retro_Metro

She was abandoned by Scott as his first love interest,had a infant, clone of Jean,was good.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22  Edited By SC  Moderator

Poor Maddy. She wasn't always bad, very awesomely, she was rather normal, so not really good or bad, (well most people by default are good so) 

Her first couple of early issues, paint her as a pretty kind and stand up character. Very likable. I read X-Men in chronological order so really had no idea what she would become, it may have tainted how I approached her. I wonder if other people will ask a similar question of Bishop if he never gets redeemed. 

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I really like Madelyne!  (: just putting it out there. 
    I thought she was a good villain and when she created the Sisterhood was one of my fave comic moments :D

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By kiss_lamia

As for who i liked better maddy has to take the trophy girl did most of the x-men's job without powers! She was basically forge or beast in the australian out back fortress they had before they went were gonna derail her completely! Even crazy she was a better character, her quotes were amazing too lol!  her odd resurrection in x-man i liked, that maddy up until she was impersonated by imposter jean!  Also her current sisterhood i only liked it coz it reminded me of inferno maddy, but it tottally sucked timeline wise as maddy was on good terms with cyclops and cable the last time she was seen. She was totally out of character in the sisterhood arc, unless there gonna use the split personality thing and say x-man maddy was non crazy maddy and sisterhood was her goblin queen persona. i personally hope someone takes over who bliming does there research!! stupid writers not doing background checks on there selected characters really annoy's me! ok rant over ROFL!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.