aztek_the_lost's Madame Xanadu #26 - Extra-Sensory, Chapter 3: Lingering Scent review

Smelly Sammy

Let me start this off with a very simply and straightforward statement: "If you have never read an issue of Matt Wagner's Madame Xanadu, get out of your chair and make a mad dash for the comic store and GET THIS ISSUE!"

That's right, I said it. I said what everyone else who reads this is thinking...that everyone else should be reading it too. If you want to tell me, "but Aztek, it's a Part 3...how can I know what's going on?" My answer to you is the story (like all the other issues in the arc) is entirely self-contained. And when I say it's self-contained, I mean there is nothing tying it to the other issues except for an appearance from Madame Xanadu at the end. "Now wait a minute," your saying, "the book is called Madame Xanadu and she only appears a bit at the end?" That is correct.

Now then, since you are still reading that means you haven't gone to get the comic yet or you do already read Madame Xanadu, if it the former I am shaking my head, if it is the latter I am giving you a thumbs up. However, if it is the former I haven't given up on you just yet...

If you read comics for story, this is your perfect comic, it's one of the purest examples of a what a story can be in a single issue when we don't always rely on huge arcs (you know which publishers I'm talking about)...and if you read comics for the art, well then you're in luck...this comic is the first interior done by Chrissie Zullo. If that name doesn't ring any bells go check out the covers to Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love...it was her covers that were praised so extensively by the same people who were upset she didn't also do the interiors...too bad none of those people will likely be checking this out. Suckers.

Seriously though, if you need to be convinced by the art just do a flip-through and you'll fall in love. But don't flip to the end right away, that's what the issue's building up to and it's the best part so get there naturally, you'll find it's worth it and that Madame Xanadu is absolutely gorgeous and doesn't even need fishnets or a Wonderbra (though those things are both wonderful inventions). This issue -and series- wins my patented seal of approval!

Posted by Silkcuts

I almost wish I wasn't reading Xanadu in trade.

@aztek the lost said:
" @Silkcuts: at least you're reading it! I'm still pissed this series is getting cancelled despite the good sales :( "
@Silkcuts said:
" @aztek the lost said:
It is a crime! The series is so good, sales were healthy.  They better relaunch it in DCU then minus the sex. "
@aztek the lost said:
" @Silkcuts said:
" @aztek the lost said:
eh, I think if they just relaunch it with a #1 just for the sake of putting the DC label on it I may be even more pissed because that's the sleaziest move they could make...however, on the other hand if they just cancelled it even though they don't want the character I will also be mad...I think they just screwed up no matter what they're reasoning...bastards "
@Silkcuts said:
"They did screw up either way.  It was such a good series.  Vertigo with all its canceled series makes it look like a weak imprint.  He has a very strong roster. "
the sad thing is most people probably won't even notice these four titles are gone and I think the businessmen knew that...if they do relaunch the series I'm sure the sales will prove no one realized there had been a Madame Xanadu on shelves for the past two and a half years!

but I did notice that Vertigo is going to have to seriously rearrange its shipping schedule to accomodate for losing two of the three titles that usually get released the last week of the month...otherwise they won't have as much exposure week to week
Posted by jloneblackheart

I thought this issue was OK, a little cutesy for me - that is up until the end. Absolutely blew my mind. Not in the way my normal comics try to shock or surprise with the soap opera tactics, but in a story telling way that's been too long since. Simply put, it was an amazing self contained story that I can easily say I totally loved.

Posted by Silkcuts
@aztek the lost:  That is true... Sweet Tooth, Unwritten and I, Zombie roughly all come out in the same week... so looks like those 3 have to be spaced out.