She is not telekinetic!

#1 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

The opening blurb in X-Factor #230 says: "Monet St. Croix. Telepathy, Flight, Super-Strength, Invulnerability, Telekinesis."

Which of course is wrong, Monet does have some telepathic ability but she most definitely does not have telekinesis. Why do writers feel the need to lump these two in together. Before long they'll end up saying that he flight, super-strength and invulnerability are all based off her telekinetic powers or something and she'll just be another psi. Grrrr this is such a slippery slope they really need to be more careful.

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

She is said to be a perfec than being so they might be trying to expand her powers by adding mental abilities...eh...if she had low level to it wouldn't bug me

#3 Edited by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

She demonstrated TK in the alternate future of X-Men: the End.

I agree though, I don't want all her powers to be based off psionics, but I would not mind her having low level Telepathy and low level TK. Her mental capacity may have expanded slightly now that she is getting older and more experienced. Also Beast has indicated before (Don't know where), that Telepathy and TK are very similar in nature, and psychics have potential to access both, but mental blocks generally prevent them from doing so. This was also used to explain why Emma has previously been noted to have Telekinetic potential

#4 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just a guess, but maybe it has something to do with her ability to fly. There has to be some explanation as to why M is able to fly in the air at will. Storm is able to fly by manipulating the air around her. Siryn flies by using the sound of her voice. Namor flies because he has wings on his feet. etc. etc. A mutant can't just fly without rhyme or reason; unless that mutant is a telekinetic. I think M is able to levitate herself using low-level telekinesis. It's the only explanation as to why she can fly and maybe that's why they listed her as a telekinetic.

#5 Posted by Thirteen13 (415 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most of M's supposed physical powers such as super-strength and invulnerability as well as flight are much better explained by tactile telekinesis especially as her physical build isn't that muscular or heavy despite the superhuman feats of strength and durability she is capable of. Also, she is already has the psi power of telepathy and isn't uncommon for someone to have both telepathy and telekinesis.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

The opening blurb in X-Factor #230 says: "Monet St. Croix. Telepathy, Flight, Super-Strength, Invulnerability, Telekinesis." Which of course is wrong, Monet does have some telepathic ability but she most definitely does not have telekinesis. Why do writers feel the need to lump these two in together. Before long they'll end up saying that he flight, super-strength and invulnerability are all based off her telekinetic powers or something and she'll just be another psi. Grrrr this is such a slippery slope they really need to be more careful.

I was thinking the same thing >__>

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm beginning to suspect that those mini bios under the headshots are the responsibility of the editors, not the actual writers. I may have previously been mistaken in blaming Gischler for the poor power write-ups in the new adjectiveless X-Men. However, it seems extremely unlike Peter David to get the powers of one of his own characters wrong... And if it's an accidental spoiler for upcoming issues, again it's unlikely that he would do that as he's pretty good for keeping spoilers from leaking.

#8 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: I honestly think it was put in because a letter was included about this subject in the letters page. It noted that just having the ability to fly doesn't give one precise enough prowess to be able to walk on water. So PAD ultimately concluded it was telekinesis that allowed M to do this, meaning to be so precise in the manifestation of flight, she has to have a little extra to help her.

I don't think all of her powers are psi-based, but if you read PAD's response to the question, it does make it seem that the writers went "hmmm, yea how can we realistically explain that..."

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lifeguard85: I don't tend to give the letters column more than a passing glance. I can understand wanting to make her power set seem more realistic, but all-in-all I don't think it matters hugely whether she can fly through TK or other reasons. I always saw it as 'M is meant to be perfect, therefore she can do just about anything' :)

#10 Posted by Lifeguard85 (392 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: Totally agree, she is supposed to be capable of just about anything!

I just thought there was some connection to the letter and them listing TK in the same issue.

#11 Posted by kicxka5s (9 posts) - - Show Bio

#She has displayed telekinesis before, in X-Factor #218

#12 Posted by Elixir95 (388 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter David explained in the letters page that he said telekinetic as this is what he believes is the source behind Monet's ability to fly.

#13 Edited by thestepfordcuckoos (147 posts) - - Show Bio

When Monet first appeared in comics is was stated that one her first powers that she showed as a child was flight more so levitation and when the twins take on Monet as a physical form one of the powers that they mimic or that use of their own is telekinesis (Claudette possesses it I think) but anyways Monet power of flight is from flight by her own will or force but from a low-level telekinesis ie. tactile telekinesis. Basically I think Mo flies under tactile telekinesis as Monet's other abilities such as her super-strength and invulnerability aren't an extension from it. Not by far. Monet has a super high density skeletal mass, superior muscle tissue, and she has denser muscle mass than that of a normal human which gives her several of her superhuman abilities. Also, Bishop noted that M possesses a "superior excellent rating" in all human physical categories. Which I think by the quote itself solves this question in a nut shell as he's stating that Monet as whole is "perfect human being". Both physically and mentally Monet is able to accomplish what would take a normal human being after thousand of years of evolving and a full scale of their brain being opened ie. allowing them abilities such as telepathy and telekinesis. Anyways I think Monet does fly by low level telekinesis as her at least one her sister possesses tk and Monet in several timelines displays telekinesis ie. X-Men: The End - Monet is shown using very advanced telekinesis and even uses a kinetic energies a concussive force blast. Also I just remember that Synch when he would mimic Monet's abilities he could use telekinesis and that was even after the real Monet was release and the twins had left.

#14 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7711 posts) - - Show Bio

James Bonds boss?

#15 Posted by StormyWeather (747 posts) - - Show Bio

i didn't kno being able to fly meant u were a low level tk....................

#16 Posted by Selvokaz (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally dont understand why shes allowed to live. She has 2/3 of Superman's powerset but no one complains about her nearly as much as him. Why make a Sentry when you have M? and is Sentry is to powerful then shouldn't she be considered as such as well? I found it weird Hulk simply threw her across state into New Jersey without her not so much as laying a finger on him,

#17 Posted by micahparadise (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms is the "perfect" superbeing possessing multiple abilites but they are all at a moderate level @selvokaz. Therefore she isnt over powered like Superman or sentry. He strength class accordign to marvel is only 10 tons which places her far below the powerhouses of Marvel i..e she-hulk, thing, collossus). I personally think her power set works seeing as they are all moderate.

#18 Posted by AwesomeQ9876 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140127180757/marveldatabase/images/thumb/5/52/M._Telekinesis.jpg/479px-M._Telekinesis.jpg

She is using a telekintic blast

#19 Edited by Malachi_Munroe (1518 posts) - - Show Bio
X-men #18 preview ..

#20 Posted by micahparadise (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Im just so happy that they are using M more and have her in the major xmen teams now. Her near perfect being mutation always captured me. She makes a great addition to the xmen team seeing as Rogue is no longer a consistent powerhouse. (She needs to touch people to obtain their powers instead of having her default ms marvel abilities)

#21 Posted by Teerack (5756 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in AoA she showed off some telekinetic powers... i could be remembering it wrong though.

#22 Posted by Malachi_Munroe (1518 posts) - - Show Bio

Im just so happy that they are using M more and have her in the major xmen teams now. Her near perfect being mutation always captured me. She makes a great addition to the xmen team seeing as Rogue is no longer a consistent powerhouse. (She needs to touch people to obtain their powers instead of having her default ms marvel abilities)

i agree, i like Miss Marvel rogue .. she was the best!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.