Ethnicity?

#1 Posted by kai95 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Monet is considered black or african american by readers and fans, but is there any comics where they actually say it?

#2 Edited by kai95 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah,I did research and her race or ethnicity is black. Black means people of african roots despite their birth place. For example: Monet was born in Bosnia, European (White, but depends), but her mother is Algerian ( located in Africa), due to this she's ethnically black. i'm not saying she's not mixed with anything else but her algerian inheritage is the only fact that's official.

#3 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

She is supposedly related to Gateway and he is an Australian Aboriginal (widely considered "black"). She is also presumed to be the grandmother of Bishop and Shard! Wish they would focus more on her family tree so we can confirm this ish! lol

#4 Posted by bleedingheart (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Her father was the Bosnian ambassador I thought. Half European half African.

#5 Posted by NorajDawn (48 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicvine.com/cartier-stcroix/29-68237/

Yeah her father is black>
#6 Posted by jakeeboi17 (4363 posts) - - Show Bio
@riri4life said:
" She is supposedly related to Gateway and he is an Australian Aboriginal (widely considered "black"). She is also presumed to be the grandmother of Bishop and Shard! Wish they would focus more on her family tree so we can confirm this ish! lol "
I've heard this over and over... But I don't know where it came from? Lol
#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

She also pointed out in the most recent X-Factor that she is Muslim because her mother is from Algeria and 90% of people in Algeria are Muslim.
#8 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakeeboi17:
I think first heard about it on uncannyxmen.net

I hope it is true though.
#9 Posted by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
" She also pointed out in the most recent X-Factor that she is Muslim because her mother is from Algeria and 90% of people in Algeria are Muslim. "
I wonder why the muslim religion is being brought up in comics lately. M comes out as muslim, Batman is recruiting a muslim in Inc, Superman meets a muslim in a upcoming issue.
#10 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio
@Catman9:
Probably to show that Muslims are regular people too despite what some extremists have done.
#11 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
" @Catman9: Probably to show that Muslims are regular people too despite what some extremists have done. "
This.
#12 Posted by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio
@riri4life: That's all just stipulation though. It could've been Tempo, Frenzy, Neurotap, Idie, Cecelia Reyes (afro-puerto riccan)...any number of black female mutants who have or will run into and possibly join the X-Men
#13 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thunderscream
That's true, but some of those characters like Idie weren't even created till recently. 
It's just been hinted at more w/ M. 
(nice AV btw :P)
#14 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Muslim is not an ethnic group.

#15 Posted by SovereignDivinity (82 posts) - - Show Bio

@princeimc: @Catman9:
Probably to show that Muslims are regular people too despite what some extremists have done. Best answer i heard all year.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.