Why You Should Read THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE

Posted by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio

Justin Jordan's six issue Image series isn't exactly for the faint of heart. It has gallons of blood and gore in its over the top action and more swearing than a man who just stubbed his toe. If that isn't your cup of tea, then feel free to stop reading right now. But, if you're seeking for something that essentially feels like Kick-Ass, Spider-Man and The Raid: Redemption on steroids, then stick around and let me tell you why you must read THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE.

You've got red on you.

Sure, Luther Strode's first volume is packed with absurdly graphic violence and a constant stream of four letter words, but as Jordan says in the TPB's introduction, the book is all about power. Let's be honest, we've all had to deal with people we weren't so fond of in school and I'm sure we all had different fantasies about how to put them in their place. And, even if you don't want to admit it, we've all dreamed of what it would be like to be superhuman. Be it flight, strength or any other power, the thought of one day waking up and having one of these grand abilities is more exciting than being a kid on Christmas morning. This book fulfills that fantasy for one kid (Luther, of course) and from there it's a phenomenal adventure as he tries to discover the best way to use his newfound abilities.

The punch heard around the hallway.

Yes, this is a story we've seen plenty of times before (like I said above, Spider-Man and Kick-Ass are the most obvious comparisons). I mean, how many times have we seen the rookie hero realize they can use their powers to humiliate a bully? Plenty, of course, but despite that it's still a cheer-worthy moment. Jordan excels in making the fairly familiar story feel fresh and fills it with a likable cast of characters. The overall narrative with the villain is a little shallow, but this tale is all about the journey and this one absolutely delivers. You'll be treated to countless laughs and way more than a few moments that'll make your jaw hit the floor.

Yes, you truly are, Peter.

Then there's ridiculously animated and visceral artwork by artist Tradd Moore and colorist Felipe Sobreiro. This is a book that primarily thrives on insanely powerful and downright absurd action, and these two nail it flawlessly. Every punch, every shot, every horrific kill -- they're talentedly brought to life and you'll feel 'em all. Trust me when I say there's quite a few scenes that'll leave you completely stunned. When it comes to over the top action, this book is among the best.

This image is rated PG compared to the rest of the fight.

If you do happen to fall in love with the title, you'll be thrilled to know Jordan and Moore's second volume is currently underway (THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE). We're now four issues in and it has yet to disappoint. Everything I love about the first is on display here at full force and, even though I thought it was impossible, the fights reach insane new heights. The battle with Jack the Ripper alone makes it worth reading.

THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE is awesomely gruesome, hilariously vulgar, and most of all, a total blast from the shocking opening scene to the grin-inducing final moments. Jordan's down-to-earth script and Moore & Sobreiro's beautiful yet cruel visuals makes this six issue series an outrageously good time that I highly recommend checking out.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ and Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

#1 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

down-to-earth script? yeah i'm calling BS.

#2 Posted by soumya (149 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of best indie comics I ever read.It may not have a great story,but the characterizations and it's gruesome art make it one of the stellar comics in the recent times.

#3 Edited by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer said:

down-to-earth script? yeah i'm calling BS.

He says to something that is clearly subjective.

So... I didn't find the dialogue to be practical and relatable? Thanks for correcting my opinion on it!

#4 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Justin Jordan's six issue Image series isn't exactly for the faint of heart. It has gallons of blood and gore in its over the top action and more swearing than a man who just stubbed his toe. If that isn't your cup of tea, then feel free to stop reading right now.

Good article.

#5 Posted by whitelantern64 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

What's this even about? the article was really vague as to the actual plot of this book.

#6 Posted by andy_117 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

What's this even about? the article was really vague as to the actual plot of this book.

"This book fulfills that fantasy [of having superpowers] for one kid (Luther, of course) and from there it's a phenomenal adventure as he tries to discover the best way to use his newfound abilities."

I doubt there's much more to it than that.

#7 Edited by longbowhunter (7511 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Similar to Kick-Ass, but i liked it better.I'll be picking up "Legend" as soon as it hits TPB. Really put Tradd Moore and Justin Jordan on my radar.

#8 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to get into Luther Strode here. I really, REALLY need to.

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7871 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely loved this book. You're totally right on calling it "absurd action", it's gory, over the top, and a hell of a lot of fun to see.

#10 Posted by ectoborge (208 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so glad this article got posted. I thought I was the only one who liked the book.

Hopefully Justin Jordan can work wonders on Red Lanterns.

#11 Edited by Shallbecomeabattoo (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not sure if I want to read it. Is the violence as mean spirited as in a lot of Mark Millars books? If that would be the case, I wouldn't enjoy it.

#12 Posted by dondave (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

Luther Strode; simply awesome

#13 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a very violent book but highly entertaining and the fight scenes are ridiculous. Must read series in my mind.

#14 Edited by kunglu (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy this book a lot. I like the plot love the art and the action!

#15 Edited by w0nd (3908 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not sure if I want to read it. Is the violence as mean spirited as in a lot of Mark Millars books? If that would be the case, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Well he does it to people who deserve it. It's no different then invincible where they puch people's guts out of their buttholes or have their jaws explode off their face.

#16 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I love these features, they're introducing me to so many good books I need to read :)

#17 Posted by -The Renegade- (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah thanks a lot Katzman... you're making me spend my money....

Joking aside, I love these articles and I'm definitely going to pick this up. Thanks

#18 Posted by Ludo (57 posts) - - Show Bio

This book was a really fun ride, I won't say Jordan is a genius but sure he knows how to create a truly crazy story.

#19 Posted by ACPrime (2 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the comic that got me back into comic books after being away for about 20 years. Loved every panel of it and recommend this to anyone who likes a bit of the ultra-violence and drama. The follow up, Legend of, is also superb.

#20 Edited by laflux (17551 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Yes Yes Yes and Yes

I just find it funny that Luther Strode is your second favorite ongoing. How good must X O Manowar be?

#21 Edited by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@k4tzm4n: Yes Yes Yes and Yes

I just find it funny that Luther Strode is your second favorite ongoing. How good must X O Manowar be?

On a scale of 1 to 10: awesome.

#22 Edited by CalebHara (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, i didn't know what all of the hype was about. Then i picked up a copy and started reading, im completely hooked.

#23 Posted by Deaf65 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

One look at the synopsis of the first series in the Previews and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did and have no regrets about it! The combination of top notch plot, art, and coloring was a beauty to behold!!! It is not just about the violence, just how it was done as a whole book. The Legend series is still keeping the intensity up even more. We should keep our eyes on future projects by Justin Jordan and Trad Moore!!!

#24 Edited by Shallbecomeabattoo (368 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd

Thanks! I will check it out then. I always liked Invincible and while its pretty violent, I never had that bad aftertaste with it that I get after I read the last few Millar books.

#25 Posted by Buckshot (18925 posts) - - Show Bio

@soumya said:

It's one of best indie comics I ever read.It may not have a great story,but the characterizations and it's gruesome art make it one of the stellar comics in the recent times.

This is gonna sound like I'm talking smack about Luther's books (which I'm not, I've been enjoying them since they started coming out), but what other indie comics are you reading?

#26 Posted by comicace3 (6382 posts) - - Show Bio

You've seen the Raid redemption? *High five* I thought I was the only one. Now back on topic, I really love how luther strode is sooo gruesome.

#27 Posted by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio

You've seen the Raid redemption? *High five* I thought I was the only one. Now back on topic, I really love how luther strode is sooo gruesome.

Seen it? I've praised it like a madman all over this site when it came out! I practically annoyed people into seeing it.

#28 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been meaning to, it looks really interesting. (Been meaning to read it.) This article plus the fact the Justin Jordan's gonna be at AwesomeCon might have just sealed the deal.

#29 Edited by soumya (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot: Right now I am also enjoying Chew.It's pretty good indie IMO

#30 Posted by Mucklefluga (2609 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Mucklefluga (2609 posts) - - Show Bio

@soumya said:

@buckshot: Right now I am also enjoying Chew.It's pretty good indie IMO

Chew is THE funniest ongoing atm, and one of the best books out there too.

#32 Edited by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

I've been meaning to, it looks really interesting. (Been meaning to read it.) This article plus the fact the Justin Jordan's gonna be at AwesomeCon might have just sealed the deal.

Hopefully you will check it out.

#33 Posted by jason_g (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't say enough about it. Absolutely love it

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio

@jason_g said:

I assume you're reading the new series, too?

#35 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

@jason_g said:

This. I actually got the TPB for a friend of mine as a Christmas gift. I can't remember him loving a book more and Legend has both of us waiting for the trade.

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (51148 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by K3vinkha0S (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Has some of the best art.

#38 Posted by Perfect 10 (1172 posts) - - Show Bio

too gruesome, like in invincible when they have major fights. pass

#39 Posted by thegabrieness (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved The Strange Talent, really did, specially Tradd Moore's art. It's completely over-the-top and often ridiculous amounts of violence but it has a great story, great characters and it just looks effin' good! Currently reading The Legend Of Luther Strode, the follow up to Strange Talent, i personally found it more of an action comic than anything else, great story too!

#40 Posted by dimitridkatsis (2357 posts) - - Show Bio

A year too late I know but d@mn I like myself a violent comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.