Off My Mind: Possible Directions for the Next 'Star Wars' Trilogy

#151 Posted by Queso6p4 (1546 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really care for Cade at all but I'd be up for anything from Heir to the Empire, the Bane trilogy, or a number of prequel novels as well.

#152 Edited by minigunman123 (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmgOmgWtfWtf said:

@minigunman123:

How can you only accredit the Avengers and Marvel movies as Disney getting lucky. I say Disney was a major factor into actually taking these characters to the big screen. The whole premise of Disney buying Marvel was because they saw the great potential in growth for them. Disney has done alot of wonderful things and I find it very disheartening when you sum up their moves as "fart jokes" and "for children". The one thing I found great about Disney is that their movies often have mature themes intertwined with their humor. Just look at The Toy Story movies. It's true that Disney has some pretty big misses, but so do every other major production company. Being quite honest here, I personally believe 100% that Star Wars movies made by Disney would be better than anything George Lucas would be able to do, aside from the originals of course. To be better than the prequels won't be too difficult as they were horrendous beyond words. If Disney was to truly focus on the Star Wars film, giving it as much attention as the Marvel films, then everything will be good. Their ability to story tell is, without a doubt, the best in the industry. As long as they sprinkle some of their Disney charm and make their character's memorable, unique, and loveable, then they will have a recipe for success.

You're entitled to your opinion as am I, but I find it funny you think Disney tells stories better than Warner Brothers, since they own the Christopher Nolan Batman movies, which, by your logic, was in big part thanks to Warner Brothers themselves; so no, Disney does not tell the best stories in the industry. They used to have amazing movies, and many/most of them were animated, and that's fine, they were masterpieces, such as The Lion King or A Bug's Life (or is it just Bug's Life?). Nowadays, they are much less masterful, their good movies are not masterpieces (including the Marvel movies, they're fun and good, some of them might even be great, but not masterpieces in most eyes), and they have many more bad movies. They are not the same powerhouse they once were, and as well, they're pretty mediocre with most TV shows nowadays. Disney is very much a wildcard. They can be great (though not as great as they used to be), they can be horrible. That was my point. Many Disney movies are "for children", but my point wasn't that being a kid's movie is bad, my point was that making them mediocre, and throwing in the occasional inappropriate and yet not even mature joke, does not a masterpiece make, and several Disney movies are like that, most of them (all of them? Probably not quite all of them) being made since the year 2000. Kid's movies need to be good too. Just because they might be too young to understand the nuances of, say, Casablanca, doesn't mean they don't deserve better than, say, Shrek. Shrek was popular, but from what I remember, it had plenty of inappropriate humor in it.

I'm sorry if you find my opinion disheartening, I don't know why you'd find it that way, but I'm not going to change it. The prequels, also, were not horrendous, they were not very good, and many people think they're quite bad, but horrendous is a strong word to use; they weren't that bad. If you want a horrible, horrible movie, I direct you to Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Disney might make the movies well. They might also be horrible, horrible things that no man or woman should ever be subjected to. Time will tell.

#153 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7125 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

I have no problem with your opinion. I was trying to understand the mindset behind your Disney comment, that is all. I meant no offense, and if I did, I apologize. I was merely trying to point out that Disney as a whole, compared to other companies, has made more memorable movies in it's career, albeit 99% are animated. Since they are in the spot light so often, so to speak, Disney would ensure that the Star Wars new trilogy would be at least good (like Avengers), since screwing it up would really hurt their credibility, and the two billion dollar invesment. I'm not saying they are gonna make a masterpiece or anything like that, but they have been in the business long enough to know how to make a good movie. So all in all, I would rather Star Wars go to Disney, then say, Warner Brothers or any other company.

P.S. Personally, I believe with all the great movies Disney has done, that their story telling abilities are better than Warner Brothers. Three Christopher Nolan Films (I didn't even think the 3rd one was that great) does not beat 90+ years of Disney animation.

#154 Posted by LordRequiem (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Establish a government?! Politics is pure nonsense anyway, and was extremely detrimental to the newest films. What a foolish idea it would be to re-live that.

#155 Posted by minigunman123 (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmgOmgWtfWtf said:

@minigunman123:

I have no problem with your opinion. I was trying to understand the mindset behind your Disney comment, that is all. I meant no offense, and if I did, I apologize. I was merely trying to point out that Disney as a whole, compared to other companies, has made more memorable movies in it's career, albeit 99% are animated. Since they are in the spot light so often, so to speak, Disney would ensure that the Star Wars new trilogy would be at least good (like Avengers), since screwing it up would really hurt their credibility, and the two billion dollar invesment. I'm not saying they are gonna make a masterpiece or anything like that, but they have been in the business long enough to know how to make a good movie. So all in all, I would rather Star Wars go to Disney, then say, Warner Brothers or any other company.

P.S. Personally, I believe with all the great movies Disney has done, that their story telling abilities are better than Warner Brothers. Three Christopher Nolan Films (I didn't even think the 3rd one was that great) does not beat 90+ years of Disney animation.

The 3rd one was pretty good, but it had plotholes, such as.. You know, why didn't anyone just shoot Bane in the face or something? Why didn't Batman use the bat-darts to tranquilize Bane? Why was his death so... Anti-climactic? Plus, Talia's death was just awful. I loved the movie, but it definitely had it's fair share of issues. I like Batman Begins more than either of the other two films.

Aaaaanyway, Disney has indeed been fantastic in the past, and has been for many, many, many years, but I just feel that they're declining a bit, and no longer the only big name in movies. I just don't want Star Wars to be part of that decline.

Plus, let's not forget that Warner Brothers also has Batman and Superman animated series' ;) that's got to count for something lol.

#156 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7125 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

Warner Brother's animation department should be given gold medals for the fucken awesome stuff. Too bad WB doesn't ever ask them to do anything outside of animation, perhaps they could have saved Superman Returns. Bruce Timm is a genius and WB are idiots for not using him more.

The biggest thing that irked me about the 3rd Batman film, was why didn't Bruce visit a doctor in those 8 years, its one thing to not train for 8 years, but to really let yourself be crippled, that is kind of silly IMO. Also i didn't like the ending, the Robin allusion was dumb, why would you entrust a random dude to be batman? makes no sense, and running away to Italy with Catwoman. Umm, hello? The whole reason why you were sad in the first place was that Rachael died, guess she's not important anymore. Uggh I can continue on forever about this, but that would straying off topic.

#157 Posted by hortrorog (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@bloggerboy said:

@hortrorog said:

Old Republic is so overrated.

Kotor was good, the comics are good, but thats all. There are far more interesting stories in SW...

Can you give any examples?

Anything after RoTJ basicly...

Crimson Empire, Dark Empire, Thrawn, Jedi Academy, Dark Nest, Invasion and anything YV related, Jedi Knight games, Legacy etc etc...

Anyway they said, the new movies will be brand new, they will take place 20 years after RoTJ, so it doesnt matter after all.

#158 Posted by hortrorog (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@ALdragon17 said:

I'd never liked Cade Skywalker using death stick not to see the future. If I had any power I would force lighting and than later force storm him. He's a very deeply flawed character, space pirate for something. I think Lucas should've gave Star Wars to DC comics and not Disney.

Dark Horse. Period.

#159 Posted by AmazingWebHead (6975 posts) - - Show Bio

At first, I was really excited. I thought maybe it could be an epilogue story, dealing with the legacy of the previous films, wrapping up the saga, featuring newer characters, with the actors from the original movies reprising their roles as older & wiser versions. Maybe even bring back Boba Fett and having the plot do him justice this time around. I thought it would be awesome.

Then I found out it was Disney. By the time this is over, people will be begging for Jar-Jar Binks. (I never really understood why everyone hates him, I just know that they do)

#160 Edited by minigunman123 (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmgOmgWtfWtf said:

@minigunman123:

Warner Brother's animation department should be given gold medals for the fucken awesome stuff. Too bad WB doesn't ever ask them to do anything outside of animation, perhaps they could have saved Superman Returns. Bruce Timm is a genius and WB are idiots for not using him more.

The biggest thing that irked me about the 3rd Batman film, was why didn't Bruce visit a doctor in those 8 years, its one thing to not train for 8 years, but to really let yourself be crippled, that is kind of silly IMO. Also i didn't like the ending, the Robin allusion was dumb, why would you entrust a random dude to be batman? makes no sense, and running away to Italy with Catwoman. Umm, hello? The whole reason why you were sad in the first place was that Rachael died, guess she's not important anymore. Uggh I can continue on forever about this, but that would straying off topic.

Well the Catwoman thing totally makes sense. Throughout the movie he develops a burgeoning respect or even admiration and attraction towards her, and much of the movie is devoted, directly or indirectly, to him moving on with his life, past Rachel, and past Batman. I think the thing with Selina was him trying to move on and be with someone else who he may be happy with, like Alfred said he always wanted for Bruce.

EDIT: Also, Robin kind of makes sense, I mean, Bruce came to trust the cop and respect him as well, and saw in him a bit of himself, in that he wanted justice done, but wanted to keep his friends safe. A lot of people really liked that part. I can see how it might have been a bit reckless of Bruce, though.

#161 Posted by gumflabica (3451 posts) - - Show Bio

what did we do for the second trilogy? a prequel. if we do that again, a Knights of the Old Republic movie would be nice. if not, i would really like to see some EU stuff. that would be f***ing awesome. but, of course, since it is going to be a disney movie, they are going to change the entire history of everything and royally skrew it up to the point where the force is really rainbows and sith lords are just misunderstood people who are isolated because they feel embarresed in front of the other jedi. then comes the kids series, and soon enough, you will have little animated star wars characters with high-pitched voices asking the audience what color is the basketball. or, lucas can try to keep this under control, so we dont have another Deadpool (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) mishap. Deadpool was always my favorite, and i dont want to see any more characters skrewed up like that.

#162 Posted by desmond006 (612 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney with lucasfilms, this could be cool.

#163 Posted by JamDamage (1195 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as the movie has Jedis in it, and no Lucas directing, it should be fine. So much material to take from. Look at clone wars. the show is great

#164 Posted by welshguy (201 posts) - - Show Bio

Problem with all this speculation is expectation getting so high that whatever the end product is, it will be a disapointment.

In my mind the Clone Wars was about cloned jedi and other craziness (I think as a result of a brief passage in one of the hand of thrawn books by Timothy Zahn) and what we got was instead kiwi troopers that turned Star Wars into Clone Wars. Personally I would like the new series to be set in the future in the Star Wars universe, much like the legacy series (can't see that happening though) to just move the cinematic franchise onward, like the expanded universe did in the novels and comics. Some of the Expanded Universe is terrible, some of it in my opinion eclipsing the movies, and whilst its likely to have no bearing on the new movies if the film makers are sensible they can learn from it and make something good.

Star Wars does not occupy the same place in my heart that it used to. I hate the Clone Wars cartoons and even the original trilogy has lost some of its magic because of how awful (Attack of the Clones) or just plain mediocre (Revenge of the Sith) the prequels are. But if Disney can grow a pair and not just cater to sodding children and think beyond merchandise (won't happen I know) they can maybe save Star Wars from the hole its sunk into.

#165 Posted by AlphaZro (15 posts) - - Show Bio

this is great on one level but sucks on another; level A this deal that would make episode seven possible is great since it brings a new vision to the star wars franchise, on level B it sucks since in order for this to happen one of biggest privately owned IP holders is now owned by arguably one of the biggest now but if we get a star wars on the level of Avengers then I guess it's alright.

#166 Posted by molotovzav (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the Solo twins, but I can understand going for a Cade storyline due to casting of actors, but if you want to do 7-9 movies, that's gotta be "re-establishment" of jedi order, and government, marriages +babies, yuzhaan vong, then death of Anakin Solo, rise of Jacen Solo as darth cadeus, and Jaina Solo defeating him.

I love the Kotor games, but I don't want to give Bioware or EA money to create any more crappy games like they have been for the past 5 years.

#167 Posted by Agypt2020 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I have read all or most of the novels after Return of the Jedi and Heir to the Empire... and so forth. I would like to see a whole new trilogy and new characters. I feel the novels and comics permanently screwed any chance for the Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Lando, C3PO and R2D2, to reprise their sagas. And there has not been a villain so iconic as Darth Vader. Star Wars was at the epiphany of science fiction movies (Avatar is second) and impossible, do not attempt to duplicate it. Create more fans favorites, anew adventure in a galaxy far, far, away. Real we study history and learn from it or doom to repeat it. Likewise, another Star Wars could be oblivious to its own past and a new horror threatens its galaxy.

#168 Posted by EuanDewar (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Really fucked this one up guys.

#169 Posted by Bad_People (173 posts) - - Show Bio

As for the aging thing one must remember that time is relative and can pass much slower or more quickly depending on where one is in the galaxy and how often one travels at light speed.

By the way I'm not a Star Wars geek. I'm a Physics geek.

#170 Posted by Maki_P (291 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about the Yuuzhan Vong, but everything I've heard about them sounds kind of silly. And the stuff about Palpatine coming back to life in his clones and the thing about Leia and Han's son going to the dark side.....

I dunno this whole thing sounds kind of weird for a movie, or for the people who don't know about the Expanded Universe. Honestly I really hope they do something new, more film-like

#171 Edited by J1ml33 (561 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney Better not Screw [ yeah ,yeah that`s it ] this up

[ that is all -_-]

#172 Posted by SoA (5764 posts) - - Show Bio

they should have done this instead of 5 seasons of clone wars

#173 Posted by wh1t3b0y5t33z (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Thrawn Trilogy anyone?

#174 Posted by Darth Paul (292 posts) - - Show Bio
@Funrush said:

@JamesKM716 said:

@Funrush: Return is coming in 2013.

In another note, they should go with the Thrawn Trilogy. It's so perfect. Or, Dark Empire.

Or if they want to ruin continuity, combine the two.

Wait, what? I thought we were just getting Attack and Revenge in 2013.

This. I was thinking that when Ep. 7 comes out in 2015, the original SW, (Ep. 4 A New Hope) would also be released in 3D. Which is going to be a great year for SW if that's how it's actually going to work out.
#175 Posted by spidernick21 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Boba Fett crawling out of the Sarlak Pit anyone? No? I am disappoint...

#176 Posted by innergoblin (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, why the heck is everyone getting mad at Disney. I trust them didn't you see Avengers?

#177 Posted by lloydvjr (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry all... I see that the last post on this thread was made the day the article I am posting here was published. Apparently the next trilogy will not have anything to do with The Thrawn Trilogy. But, there is an article on TheForce.Net where Carrie Fisher confirmed her involvement in the next trilogy. So, where ever they are going, it may not be exactly where the books took the story but it seems some of the characters will be carried over.

By Leslie Gornstein, E! Online

If Disney is buying LucasFilm, how will that affect Star Wars: Episode 7 and other Star Wars projects? Any word on what the movie will be about?--Flannel, via Twitter

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14855446-report-star-wars-7-wont-be-based-on-the-books#.UJsR0Uswcf8.google_plusone_share

TheForce.Net - Latest News - Fisher Confirms Her Involvement In The Sequel Trilogy! »

Fisher Confirms Her Involvement In The Sequel Trilogy! Posted By Jay on November 16, 2012. One of our rebel readers, Curt, wrote in with the following: "I was at Carrie Fishers booksigning in Cherry H...

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Fisher_Confirms_Her_Involvement_In_The_Sequel_Trilogy_148915.asp

#178 Posted by lloydvjr (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to all that want to see the characters from the Thrawn Trilogy. Doesn't look like its going to go down that way... But, Carrie Fisher confirmed her involvement in the Trilogy. So, maybe it will be a bit of a continuation of the period we know and love.

Report: 'Star Wars 7' won't be based on the books »

If Disney is buying LucasFilm, how will that affect Star Wars: Episode 7 and other Star Wars projects? Any word on what the movie will be about?--Flannel, via Twitter

TheForce.Net - Latest News - Fisher Confirms Her Involvement In The Sequel Trilogy! »

Fisher Confirms Her Involvement In The Sequel Trilogy! Posted By Jay on November 16, 2012. One of our rebel readers, Curt, wrote in with the following: "I was at Carrie Fishers booksigning in Cherry H...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.