Follow

Luke Skywalker

Character » Luke Skywalker appears in 1284 issues.

The son of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker set out to save Princess Leia from the Empire and became a hero of the Rebel Alliance. Luke began training to become a Jedi under the tuition of both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, and after discovering his heritage and redeeming his father, he became the leader of the New Jedi Order and brought the Jedi back into the Galaxy, arguably making him the greatest and most powerful Jedi of all time. Before training Rey, his Jedi apprentices were Ben Solo, Hennix, Tai and Voe.

Off My Mind: Possible Directions for the Next 'Star Wars' Trilogy

• 178 results
    MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By MisterKetch

@HexThis said:

I think the Knights of the Republic were better written than any Star Wars movie in the last quarter century. Why not base something on that? Kreia, anyone?

Im not much of a Star Wars fan but would love to see a trilogy based out of the Old Republic era

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Old Republic and the Thrawn trilogy. Maybe even the Force Unleashed

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By GiveUpNed

@StMichalofWilson said:

Old Republic and the Thrawn trilogy. Maybe even the Force Unleashed

Seconded for the Thawn Trilogy. I'd also like to see the X-Wing series made into a TV show. That would be glorious if it's done well.

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By LenSnart

I hope they dont take inspiration from the comics, ther terrible!

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
    tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I say bring it on!!!!! Just hop they good is all, not like 1-2-3

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By DarthShap

@DarthLydia said:

*ahem* for the record, 7, 8, 9 are going to be based on the "treatments" written by George Lucas which he himself stated have no connection to the existing EU. Therefore, they are going to be original stories not seen before. However... after 7,8,9 they are free, have been given a green light, to make use of any and all materials from the EU.

If more than half the EU is gone after the third trilogy, there really will not be a point to adapting old EU.

Also, I guess they could stop making "Episodes" and trilogies and instead just explore secondary characters or other parts of the timeline but again, why try this sort of thing? People tend to want to see what happens next to familiar characters and I really do not see a studio risking to confuse the audience by producing movies set in different time periods.

hortrorog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By hortrorog

Old Republic is so overrated.

Kotor was good, the comics are good, but thats all. There are far more interesting stories in SW...

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108  Edited By bloggerboy

@hortrorog said:

Old Republic is so overrated.

Kotor was good, the comics are good, but thats all. There are far more interesting stories in SW...

Can you give any examples?

DarthLydia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By DarthLydia
    Just because the stories are new and something we have not seen before does not mean the EU will be wiped out. That's a leap in reasoning that doesn't even follow. It could leave the EU relatively untouched

@DarthShap said:

@DarthLydia said:

*ahem* for the record, 7, 8, 9 are going to be based on the "treatments" written by George Lucas which he himself stated have no connection to the existing EU. Therefore, they are going to be original stories not seen before. However... after 7,8,9 they are free, have been given a green light, to make use of any and all materials from the EU.

If more than half the EU is gone after the third trilogy, there really will not be a point to adapting old EU.

Also, I guess they could stop making "Episodes" and trilogies and instead just explore secondary characters or other parts of the timeline but again, why try this sort of thing? People tend to want to see what happens next to familiar characters and I really do not see a studio risking to confuse the audience by producing movies set in different time periods.

Avatar image for cancer_the_conqueror
    Cancer the Conqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally understand your point of the film series being primarily about the life of Vader, but to get this new trilogy to work it must extend beyond that. Now about the Skywalker family amidst galactic events, a story on the life of Ben Skywalker would be cool, trying to live up to his father's legacy. I have very little knowledge of the Expanded Universe, so I'm not the best opinion on this. I find it funny that the Expanded Universe spawned out of adaptations of the films, and now the films' future lies in adapting the Expanded Universe.

Avatar image for braynehurricane
    braynehurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111  Edited By braynehurricane

I know this has already been said but I am totally on board for the Thrawn trilogy. I could even, maybe - MAYBE, forgive a recast if we were basing the story off those wonderful books.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#112  Edited By turoksonofstone

Star wars is still relevant?

DarthLydia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By DarthLydia
    Omg what are you even doing here?

@turoksonofstone said:

Star wars is still relevant?

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By DarthShap

@DarthLydia said:

Just because the stories are new and something we have not seen before does not mean the EU will be wiped out. That's a leap in reasoning that doesn't even follow. It could leave the EU relatively untouched

How exactly would it leave it untouched? The only way to do so would be to set the story 200 years later and never to mention what happened in between and it is safe to say it is not going to happen.

What it is probably going to happen is what just happened with TCW. They will want to tell stories about a time period which is already filled and the contradictions will keep on occurring, so much so that there will not be anything left of the old EU by the time the movie is over.

They are going to use the New Jedi Order but it probably will not be on Yavin IV and none of the Jedi will be the same. They will probably talk about the Han-Leia romance but they are not going to want to use what happened in the novels and the comics, they will want to tell their own version of how the two married and had kids.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By DarthShap

@Cancer the Conqueror said:

I totally understand your point of the film series being primarily about the life of Vader, but to get this new trilogy to work it must extend beyond that. Now about the Skywalker family amidst galactic events, a story on the life of Ben Skywalker would be cool, trying to live up to his father's legacy. I have very little knowledge of the Expanded Universe, so I'm not the best opinion on this. I find it funny that the Expanded Universe spawned out of adaptations of the films, and now the films' future lies in adapting the Expanded Universe.

Except it is not going to adapt the EU apparently. It is going to be an original story: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/10/31/news-star-wars-episode-vii-will-be-an-original-story

alex6166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By alex6166

My guess it will take place in space. I'm very non-commital about that.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By KnightRise

How about facial mapping using the original cast and de-aging them digitally?

whitelantern64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By whitelantern64

apprently lucas had written star wars as a 12 part epic so itll be interesting to see what the next 6 episodes are like.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119  Edited By fps_dean

As long as don't have Jar Jar Binks, it's sure to be better than the last trilogy.

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#120  Edited By jstndmnd

Hey, George did a great job creating star wars, but the prequel should have been written and directed by someone else. I think George didn't do such a great job preserving the quality and spirit of star wars at the end so hopefully Disney can. I can' wait for the new movies.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Disney will ruin Star Wars.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By mightypug78

they should use the orginal actors and do the 25 years later thing with the yuuzhan vong. they should use make up if they have and maybe a little cgi but not too much lol. on the list of the most bad ass villians in star war, the yuuzhan vong are up there a pretty good ways. :D

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By zackattack529

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#125  Edited By Dark Cell

Why dose it have to be around the film area? Why cant it be Old Republic or another era.

henkuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By henkuo

@The Impersonator said:

Disney will ruin Star Wars.

Like they ruined Marvel?

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ALdragon17

I'd never liked Cade Skywalker using death stick not to see the future. If I had any power I would force lighting and than later force storm him. He's a very deeply flawed character, space pirate for something. I think Lucas should've gave Star Wars to DC comics and not Disney.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

I am actually not that mad that Disney bought Star Wars. True, that some people may not find that appealing, but Disney has a way of making things interesting, and has a very good track record in the movie making department. So kudos to them.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By TheMess1428

@DarthShap: I don't care for the changes he made to the original trilogy after they came out and I don't acknowledge them. I acknowledge the prequels though. And I acknowledge the novels and video games. That's enough for me.

Avatar image for mister_sensational
    Mister_Sensational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can totally accept Cade as the central protagonist of a new trilogy! For starters his timeline (138 after the events of the first movie) puts him just far enough away from the original trilogy that everything that happens after it in the EU stories (i.e. the Thrawn trilogy) can still happen. Plus since he is a completely new character, in a completely new time period Disney can feel free to cast an entirely new cast of young, fresh actors, and still maybe get Mark Hamil to cameo as a force ghost Luke Skywalker (it's like having your cake and eating it too!). Besides when it comes to the original cast reprising their old roles lets be honest here not all of the original cast may even be up to it, I mean read that Lucas met with Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher but who knows when's the last time he has spoke to Harrison Ford. Speaking of Han Solo that's another thing that's great about Cade, he's like Han and Luke all rolled into one with the whole being a Jedi turned smuggler and all, with both of their strengths and weaknesses. Lastly with the Legacy comics a writer can have more leeway with the already established story, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the entire legacy series but if a story arc or two was left out in order to keep the movie from being too long than so be it. I don't feel novels give a writer the same leeway and hardcore fans of the novels will what to see pretty much everything they've read in those novels over the years to be translated to the screen, on the other hand one of the first things we comic book lovers had to learn to deal with during the comic book movie boom of the last decade is that the story told on the screen will not be exactly as we first read it in the comics and will almost certainly have some major changes.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By FanofUltraman

The whole idea was that the War in the Stars ended when the Emperor was killed, bringing balance to The Force and stabilizing the galaxy.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By minigunman123

Most of Disney's movies nowadays are either directed towards children who find it funny to have a fart joke every other scene, or teenaged girls who find Zack and Cody adorable. They've not been a high class or high quality movie producer overall in a while. They're hit or miss. Part of that's my opinion, part of it is numbers; they just don't have huge oomph, and they like to buy everything and twist it around to try and make themselves more money.

I can't stand the thought of Disney making new Star Wars films. I'll look at the first one and see what it's like, but if it doesn't look, sound or review well, I'm not seeing it. If Disney ruins the next trilogy, the trilogy must die a quiet death so as to not taint what George Lucas has done (granted, the prequels weren't masterpieces at all, but they were probably better than what Disney's going to be spitting at us). This could be a bad, bad time for Star Wars, if Disney screws it up.

EDIT: I credit Marvel with the latest movies like Iron Man and Avengers, not Disney, even though Disney bought Marvel. It's Marvel's characters, they're Marvel's stories; Disney just got lucky. Marvel is the true force behind the movies.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By TheHT

On the one hand, Star Wars is a big freaking deal, so they'd be smart to tread carefully and give it some serious thought. On the other hand, it WILL make lots of money, so they could just ham em out. That it's suppsedly to be a trilogy though would lend credence to the former though. If they really wanted to take advantage of the franchise, you'd think making the films with everything that made the original trilogy such a classic in mind would yield the best results, both financially and critically. That said, trying to latch on to either trilogy directly by way of focusing on their main characters doesn't sound very interesting to me. I don't want more Anakin or more Han. I want something new and intriguing and most of all something that takes advantage of that big universe, BBY or ABY.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By Mezmero

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan so I'm not sure what to make of this news. I just hope we get a cooler portrayal of the Imperial Guards this time around. I never read those Kir Kanos comics but I've always liked the idea of warriors who are bad ass enough to guard Palpatine in some sick red armor. I loved the KOTOR games' depiction of Jedis and Sith so I hope some of that stuff gets pulled into this new continuity. More droids and bounty hunters would be nice too.

Avatar image for christopherwalken
    christopherwalken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh...

brightstarr731

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By brightstarr731

@minigunman123: Marvel is no more in charge of the movies than GL will be the Star Wars ones. You contradict yourself, and as such lose credibility.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#137  Edited By Zoch81

cool new star wars film can't wait

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By minigunman123

@brightstarr731 said:

@minigunman123: Marvel is no more in charge of the movies than GL will be the Star Wars ones. You contradict yourself, and as such lose credibility.

George Lucas actually does have a ton of influence on where the Disney movies are going to go, actually. It is Disney's final move, but he set it up for them and is going to be a supervisor for them. Marvel made the characters and stories that Disney made the movies for, based off the characters, so they have some credit for making the movies, but I don't really think of Disney when I think of Iron Man, just like nobody thinks of Warner Brothers when they think of Batman Begins, they think of DC and Christopher Nolan.

You fail to think things through, and as such lose credibility.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Dedpool

Well it's been said that Episode VII will not be from the expanded universe, which is a bummer but not horrible. I say lets appease everyone. Do some animated films in the style of CLone Wars for stuff like "Shaodws of the Empire," and the other expanded universe stuff inbetween Episode VI and the Yuhzahn Vong stuff, and then do a live action film series of the Yuhzahn vong arc as Everyone is about the right age for their characters. Do some games on the level of Knights of the old repulic" but about the expanded universe as well. And finally do an animated or live action Legacy series.

ReadingRainbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#140  Edited By ReadingRainbow

Yes, why is Knights of the Old Republic not being used? It's an amazing tale.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Funrush

You know, now that I think about it, this explains all the Star Wars movies being released again. Does this also mean that we'll get to 'Return' by '15?

mtbmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By mtbmonkey

I have been a many things in my life. For this thread, I will only name a few. I'm a comic book book nerd. I'm a Disney fan. Lastly, I'm a Star Wars geek. I have been curious about the purchase of Lucas for sometime. It was inevitable. Lucas never wanted to go forward, after Episode 3. The people at Dark Horse have done lots to push the mythos further than anyone.

Disney has become a media juggernaut. That's a fact that can't be denied. It doesn't mean that they ruin everything that they touch. What it could mean is they have all the best talent. Did Disney ruin Marvel? I don't think so. Has Disney ruined Marvel movies? NO! Look at the Avengers.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By JamesKM716

@Funrush: Return is coming in 2013.

In another note, they should go with the Thrawn Trilogy. It's so perfect. Or, Dark Empire.

Or if they want to ruin continuity, combine the two.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By DarthShap

@minigunman123 said:

@brightstarr731 said:

George Lucas actually does have a ton of influence on where the Disney movies are going to go, actually. It is Disney's final move, but he set it up for them and is going to be a supervisor for them. Marvel made the characters and stories that Disney made the movies for, based off the characters, so they have some credit for making the movies, but I don't really think of Disney when I think of Iron Man, just like nobody thinks of Warner Brothers when they think of Batman Begins, they think of DC and Christopher Nolan.

You fail to think things through, and as such lose credibility.

The thing is, I am pretty sure he does not care where Disney is going to take Star Wars. Officially, he was also supervisor on TCW but it obviously was not something he really was into. It was part of the EU, not part of the six part story about Anakin he wanted to tell.

Now that he has finished his story, all that he sold was the right to use the universe in order to tell new stories. These new stories might be based on drafts he wrote decades ago for a 9 or a 12 movies saga but it is not going to be his story anymore.

In my opinion, he no longer cares about Star Wars and he will only have little to do with the new movies.

Having said that, I think I trust Disney here. Sure, I hate the fact that this is going to destroy more than half the EU and to me it makes no sense to call it "Episode VII" because that story is over, but Disney definitely can hire the best writers and the best directors. They did a great job with Pixar and Marvel.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Funrush

@JamesKM716 said:

@Funrush: Return is coming in 2013.

In another note, they should go with the Thrawn Trilogy. It's so perfect. Or, Dark Empire.

Or if they want to ruin continuity, combine the two.

Wait, what? I thought we were just getting Attack and Revenge in 2013.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#146  Edited By JamesKM716

@Funrush: My bad, i messed up. Sorry,

2017 i think.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By DarthShap

@Dedpool said:

Well it's been said that Episode VII will not be from the expanded universe, which is a bummer but not horrible. I say lets appease everyone. Do some animated films in the style of CLone Wars for stuff like "Shaodws of the Empire," and the other expanded universe stuff inbetween Episode VI and the Yuhzahn Vong stuff, and then do a live action film series of the Yuhzahn vong arc as Everyone is about the right age for their characters. Do some games on the level of Knights of the old repulic" but about the expanded universe as well. And finally do an animated or live action Legacy series.

You do understand that if the new trilogy ignores the EU but still takes place at the same time and uses the same characters, it is going to destroy it completely. I mean just take a look at what TCW did to the 2002-2006 Clone Wars EU. This is basically the same thing except that time around, it is going to affect more than twenty years of EU and half a century of post-ROTJ in-universe timeline.

JohnReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By JohnReese

Just wish they would start with Cade Skywalker,would make a lot of sense and still be able to bring earlier cast back as ghosts.Its such a shame we might not see Han Solo in that,he is one of my favourite characters.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#149  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I read that the new movies will not be based on any of the books/comics of the EU. That is will be an original story written solely for the movie.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

@minigunman123:

How can you only accredit the Avengers and Marvel movies as Disney getting lucky. I say Disney was a major factor into actually taking these characters to the big screen. The whole premise of Disney buying Marvel was because they saw the great potential in growth for them. Disney has done alot of wonderful things and I find it very disheartening when you sum up their moves as "fart jokes" and "for children". The one thing I found great about Disney is that their movies often have mature themes intertwined with their humor. Just look at The Toy Story movies. It's true that Disney has some pretty big misses, but so do every other major production company. Being quite honest here, I personally believe 100% that Star Wars movies made by Disney would be better than anything George Lucas would be able to do, aside from the originals of course. To be better than the prequels won't be too difficult as they were horrendous beyond words. If Disney was to truly focus on the Star Wars film, giving it as much attention as the Marvel films, then everything will be good. Their ability to story tell is, without a doubt, the best in the industry. As long as they sprinkle some of their Disney charm and make their character's memorable, unique, and loveable, then they will have a recipe for success.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.