Follow

Luke Skywalker

Character » Luke Skywalker appears in 1284 issues.

The son of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker set out to save Princess Leia from the Empire and became a hero of the Rebel Alliance. Luke began training to become a Jedi under the tuition of both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, and after discovering his heritage and redeeming his father, he became the leader of the New Jedi Order and brought the Jedi back into the Galaxy, arguably making him the greatest and most powerful Jedi of all time. Before training Rey, his Jedi apprentices were Ben Solo, Hennix, Tai and Voe.

Off My Mind: Multiple 'Star Wars' Films Each Year

• 92 results
    tintallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By tintallin

I love the idea of the "Marvel Model" and would love to see it here. I have one concern. Canon. I hope they read and incorporate the information from the books. Those authors worked hard and worked with Lucas to keep a continuous story and I think it should be honored. Besides, as stated, it is a big Universe. ADD to it, not rewrite it. That way I will be encouraged to go back and pick up some of the novels I haven't read because "they alluded in the movie and now I want to read the whole thing!!!" And THAT will increase profits, Disney, because now I'm buying the books AND watching the movies. That's me appealing to greed, good business or whatever else. Tie it all together and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm good with that. But give us good movies and we, the fans, will reward you accordingly. Or not. Choose.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By huser

@Zereta said:

@metroplex02 said:

Didn't even read this article because its premise I find ridiculous. Just bein' honest. Usually right there with you Gman.

The premise is something Disney themselves have said they are doing.

Multiple movies in a single year?

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By jonEsherfey

No but I think they should do what Peter Jackson did with Lord of the Rings and have one big story that he filmed all at once and release one every year.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By huser

@Tintallin said:

I love the idea of the "Marvel Model" and would love to see it here. I have one concern. Canon. I hope they read and incorporate the information from the books. Those authors worked hard and worked with Lucas to keep a continuous story and I think it should be honored. Besides, as stated, it is a big Universe. ADD to it, not rewrite it. That way I will be encouraged to go back and pick up some of the novels I haven't read because "they alluded in the movie and now I want to read the whole thing!!!" And THAT will increase profits, Disney, because now I'm buying the books AND watching the movies. That's me appealing to greed, good business or whatever else. Tie it all together and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm good with that. But give us good movies and we, the fans, will reward you accordingly. Or not. Choose.

I don't know, it's not like the Avengers, the hugest thing in comics movies ever, really tied much directly with any specific comic. I think you're mistaking what the cash cows are here. It's the merchandising and movies, followed a bit back there by TV (in service of the merchandising), as Disney has already conceded on simply licensing video games. Print media is WAY back at the end of the bus, especially EU stuff hiding in the sci-fi section that's not really going to be consumed by the majority of people.

EDIT- Because as you said it's a good story that matters, not slavish devotion to that obscure plot point in that one novel, comic, whatever. And frankly the EU is a mixed bag of quality anyways regardless of what hypothetical input Lucas had, which I reckon wasn't a lot, given his view on levels of canon and willingness to completely contradict the EU when it suited him. There is of course the Prequels to show how much Lucas' involvement matters in terms of quality anyways. So yeah like the Marvel movies, take some ideas/storylines, but I'd actually rather they trashed the whole thing to make it clear that this is it's own thing.

tintallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 24

#55  Edited By tintallin

@huser said:

@Tintallin said:

I don't know, it's not like the Avengers the hugest thing in comics movies ever, really tied much directly with any comics. I think you're mistaking what the cash cows are here. It's the merchandising and movies, followed a bit back there by TV (in service of the merchandising), as they've already conceded video games. Print media is WAY back at the end of the bus, especially EU stuff hiding in the sci-fi section that's not really going to be consumed by the majority of people.

You are correct, to some degree, but many a franchise has alienated their fan base and it never goes well. Sure, I get appealing to a broader audience and maybe books aren't as profitable, but they may want to think this one through. If you start alienating your fan base, you can't count on "new fans" taking up the slack. It won't happen. You might get them in the door once, but you won't get them back and they aren't going to buy your stupid toys. Collectors and die hards are. It's called "Jumping the Shark" and Disney did it with "Hunchback of Notre Dame". They are fully capable of screwing it up but I think they have a real opportunity here if they ADD and aren't stupid by being "smarter than everyone else." I think another reason for the sale by Lucas was that he thought he was smarter than the fans and that we'd suck down anything Lucas put out and it bit him in the ass. It can happen to Disney too. Time will tell.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By huser

@Tintallin said:

@huser said:

@Tintallin said:

I don't know, it's not like the Avengers the hugest thing in comics movies ever, really tied much directly with any comics. I think you're mistaking what the cash cows are here. It's the merchandising and movies, followed a bit back there by TV (in service of the merchandising), as they've already conceded video games. Print media is WAY back at the end of the bus, especially EU stuff hiding in the sci-fi section that's not really going to be consumed by the majority of people.

You are correct, to some degree, but many a franchise has alienated their fan base and it never goes well. Sure, I get appealing to a broader audience and maybe books aren't as profitable, but they may want to think this one through. If you start alienating your fan base, you can't count on "new fans" taking up the slack. It won't happen. You might get them in the door once, but you won't get them back and they aren't going to buy your stupid toys. Collectors and die hards are. It's called "Jumping the Shark" and Disney did it with "Hunchback of Notre Dame". They are fully capable of screwing it up but I think they have a real opportunity here if they ADD and aren't stupid by being "smarter than everyone else." I think another reason for the sale by Lucas was that he thought he was smarter than the fans and that we'd suck down anything Lucas put out and it bit him in the ass. It can happen to Disney too. Time will tell.

Fair enough. I just see Star Wars as a mass market IP from day one, being a blockbuster on the first go. The EU appeals to the persistent fans with the extensive rabbit hole of a huge narrative, but frankly they aren't the ones that made Lucas his billions. It's simply a numbers game. If they DID, then the books and comics would also have made him billions. I disagree on the merch and the role of the mega fan vs the mass market. That has to be mass market driven for the numbers it pulls. Sure the average dude who has some fond memories of 1977 probably won't be buying the UCS B-wing for himself or his kids, but he's probably willing to pop in a Lego Star Wars game or buy the odd Star Wars Lego set to distract them. The success of the Clone Wars points to the very real success of Lucas in bringing in those "new fans", kids. Something comics has consistently failed to do weirdly enough given the context of this post.

EDIT - That and I don't think being knowledgeable of the EU and being a member of the SW fanbase as locked together. Plenty of folks are fans, quoting lines and whatnot, without reading the EU. The Tested and Bombcast crew, being what might be categorized as related cohort of nerds are largely in that category for example (and even among those that are aware they haven't deep dived into it).

But yes, pleasing the fanbase is a smart thing obviously and I'm with you in hoping for the best here.

Avatar image for supermanfan122508
    supermanfan122508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

This is where we're headed, folks.

Avatar image for maskedstranger192
    MaskedStranger192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in seeing where Disney goes with this SW idea but I still think there should be a Boba Fett solo movie set after episode 6 because he did survive and he's a very interesting character.

Avatar image for maskedstranger192
    MaskedStranger192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanfan122508: hahahaha, nice one:)

Cole_Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By Cole_Mercer

Star Wars should do origin stories from now on. Yoda should have one, Han Solo, Boba Fett, Darth Maul, etc...

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Hell no. I'm already nervous about these new three.

LeaderVladimir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#62  Edited By LeaderVladimir

Look, I don't care what method Disney uses as long as it delivers good movies.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By shaggydude

I like the EU post ROTJ. I think it would be a shame if they just threw out all the fiction that has been published with Lucas' blessing. Why not base it on the books, get the writers involved who actually wrote what these characters did after they took down the Empire, and change up directors and screenwriters similar to Game of Thrones.

In my perfect Star wars franchise, the X-Wing novels become an animated series about Wedge Antilles and Corran Horn, the big movies are based on the Thrawn Trilogy, and if that sells well, keep it rolling. The Jedi Academy series could be animated. 20 years down the line I hope I see the Yuzhaan Vong War as a huge series of movies. A lot of people talk about getting the original actors which is fine if they can still pull it off, but I would be just as happy with ILM digital doubles paired with talented voice actors. If they re-cast the Skywalkers and Solos I will just re-read the books and wave good-bye to Star Wars on the big screen.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#64  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally, instead of just bringing already established characters, I think they should have the new films focus on completely new characters. Having the new films set sometime in the future, far from the current movies, that way they can really start from scratch while still being able to reference to the previous movies, TV shows, comics, novels, games, etc. That way we get a new generation of Star Wars, which will create a new wave of fans who most likely were never interested in Star Wars while also giving the older fans a new chapter in the world of Star Wars.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By csl316

That's a crazy idea that didn't cross my mind. It could be exciting to have that sort of build up, but I'm guessing they'll go all transmedia and make you test out different products.

I do agree that they shouldn't throw away the expanded universe, though. I've gathered some information from wikis and it definitely seems ripe for showcasing in a different medium.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Zereta

@huser said:

@Zereta said:

@metroplex02 said:

Didn't even read this article because its premise I find ridiculous. Just bein' honest. Usually right there with you Gman.

The premise is something Disney themselves have said they are doing.

Multiple movies in a single year?

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/11/15/disney-wants-to-release-2-to-3-star-wars-films-per-year.html

Yep! Crazy, right?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By PrinceIMC

I loved the X-Wing books and Corran Horn is the best expanded universe character. They could totally make a series of movies about him and the others from the original trilogy are just peripheral characters in his stories.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#68  Edited By GothamRed

It could work, but Star Wars fanboys might overreact...shocker I know but hear me out.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ScreamingGhost

Just my two cents but after 7-9 which will most likely have a focus on Luke and crew they should distance themselves from it then after. Dig into the far future or distant past like Old Republic or what not. That way they can go nuts and not worry to much about the consequences; but that all depends if they keep to the EU cannon or not.

whatsnme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By whatsnme

I think this could be good, but it would have to be done extremely well, but also they should just make the damned live action show.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By SavageDragon

Dont like the sound of this.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By Decept-O

I think having more than say two Star Wars movies in a single year would be a bit of overkill. I am still excited for the next step in the Star Wars movie universe.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By bloggerboy

1 movie in 5 years.

Disney needs to do good movies first and good Star Wars movies second. The movie series has been dead ever since Return of the Jedi ended.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bloggerboy

@BoyWander said:

More importantly, who wouldn't want to see Harrison Ford run around as Han again, shooting greedos first and asking questions later. Like a space western thing. Anything where Harrison Ford kicks ass is going to be good, and hopefully Disney knows that.

"You're a teacher?"

"Zzzzz Part-time Zzzzzzzzz--"

FelixStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FelixStrange

I disagree with the comment "the movies keep the franchise alive". For the last near 30 years it has been a combination of the games, comics and novels keeping this franchise alive. If that is not true explain the constant Star Wars PC/ console games selling massive copies? Or the constant branding of "New York Times bestseller list" for damn near every Star Wars novel? Not too mention that most comicbook fans seem to only buy Star Wars comics from Dark Horse and never seem to bother with the other titles they have.

Fact is the films keep the franchise easier to market to the mainstream audience, not alive.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By crusader8463

I know they won't do it for this next 3, but I want them to go to the Old Republic and tell Revan's story. It can lead into Darth Bane and follow the rule of 2 progression right up to Insidious and Vader. I need a change of pants just thinking of the huge Jedi vs Sith wars that took place during that time and seeing those done in live action. Not to mention the stories and spin offs that could be told from that.

DarthLydia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DarthLydia

I would love to see something about re-establishing the Jedi in the galaxy and also how the Sith survived after Palpatine.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By kid Apollo

kinda off topic but can someone please tell me if the Fate of the Jedi series of books is worth reading? i havent read the previous series and dont plan to, but ive been debating this series for awhile now

OmegaAgent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By OmegaAgent1

Legacy is the future of the Star Wars franchise. @War Killer: So your absolutely right, Legacy is set in the future that has deep expanded universe characters and themes present. Legacy still refrences the Skywalkers and the main three characters Cade, Syn and Blue parallel Luke, Han and Leia with a new school twist to them. This will allow writers to go in any direction and please every SW fan.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#80  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @OmegaAgent1 said:

Legacy is the future of the Star Wars franchise. @War Killer: So your absolutely right, Legacy is set in the future that has deep expanded universe characters and themes present. Legacy still refrences the Skywalkers and the main three characters Cade, Syn and Blue parallel Luke, Han and Leia with a new school twist to them. This will allow writers to go in any direction and please every SW fan.

Why not go beyond Legacy? Those characters have had their stories told, I personally would rather have NEW characters who haven't yet appeared in the Star Wars Universe yet.
    OmegaAgent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By OmegaAgent1

Honestly, I would too but I think it's to far fetched to think that they would create new characters for a new trilogy. It's to much like right. Let's go even further, what about a young Black guy as a Jedi or bad ass Mandalorian? They don't have one? What's going to happen is they are going to stay with the Skywalker family, bring in Ford and Hammel as their older selves as they help one of their children save the galaxy.

To me since they are going to keep to the code, Legacy would give everbody a little piece of saving the galaxy.

OmegaAgent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By OmegaAgent1

@Nightwing82: I think this would be awesome, but it won't happen. Star Wars is the Skywalker show. Everybody else are only role players. So to get a good Han, the closes thing would be Marrese Crump as Jariah Syn. And hope they really show him as the weapons master his bio says he is.

FelixStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FelixStrange

@kid Apollo: Definitly worth it in my own humble opinion

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

I'm fine with it. I just hope it's good.

RHB

spiderturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By spiderturtle

yes

celestial_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By celestial_man

there are only three star wars films why would anyone want any more ?

JNugent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By JNugent

Regardless of what they plan to do with the new trilogy, I think it's time to have either a television series or an entire film dedicated to Galen Marek (Starkiller) and The Force Unleashed storyline.

Mutated_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mutated_jedi

I want to see what disney will do with all their resources.

whitelantern64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By whitelantern64

@crusader8463: Yes I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm surprised that saga hasn't been even made into a book yet, the way that the other star wars stories based on comics and television has been. (maybe bioware is sitting on the rights). Maybe they could add something to the end of the movie to mention the native sith and have them flash forward to present day and have the skywalkers teaming with the dark side to fight off the native red sith. That would be an interesting concept.

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By Notathug78

Yeah the Marvel approach for the movies was to not just to make a profit but to set up for something grander. General public wasn't familiar with every member of the Avengers, Nick Fury, etc but a intro for new comers and a good set up for old fans was great. People who never read the books or knew the characters had a good to explain who they are, what they can do and why.  Star Wars have been around so long in games, comics, cartoons, both trilogies(available on blu ray & dvd) and the re releasing of films in theaters. I don't see the point of repeating the Marvel movie formula with Star Wars.

Avatar image for pestilenceforever
    pestilenceforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO. There shall be no more SW films. Disney should leave it alone.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Esquire

I could see something like doing a Legacy-era film every 3 years, a KOTOR-era film every three years, and a current EU-era timeline film every three years. With separate casts and storylines, that would give everyone plenty of time to make the movies good and polished, give three unique Star Wars experiences, and also let every get more frequent SW fixes/Disney get more money. Everybody wins!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.