J.J. Abrams To Direct 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

• 94 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

You can say whatever you want about J.J. Abrams, but one thing is certain, this guy knows how to make a really great sic-fi/fantasy movie; so it is no wonder he was one of the names on the list of possible directors for the upcoming Star Wars movie. The latest report, however, cites Abrams as not only rumored to direct Star Wars: Episode VII, but confirmed.

Star Trek director J.J. Abrams will be helming the next Star Wars movie. “It’s done deal with J.J.,” a source with knowledge of the situation told Deadline today. Argo director Ben Affleck was also up for the gig, the source says. Abrams was courted heavily by producer Kathleen Kennedy to take the Star Wars job. Expected in 2015, Episode VII will be the first new Star Wars movie since 2005′s Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith.

Deadline ties the heralded director to the upcoming film that is currently being written by screenwriter Michael Arndt. What do you think of the news? Do you think Abrams is the right choice? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Deadline

#1 Posted by Oscars94 (2559 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to think.... Good? Bad? He's got a headstart he's already got a franchise with "Star" in the title. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

#2 Posted by grifter78 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

NOW I'm excited about more Star Wars! :D

#3 Posted by Z3RO180 (6587 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Trek was cool and the second one looks like it will be epic so yea I think he's a good choice

#4 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9088 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he can be a good director for the movie. He did a great job with Star Trek

#5 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

I can get behind this. JJ Abrams has yet to disappoint me, so I am all for this.

#6 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

NO. WAY.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool for him to direct Star Wars Episode VII, but I don't think it will happen.

#7 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like this could go about 17 different directions in terms of quality and story. Potential to be great, awful, mediocre, the resurrection of good Star Wars movies, is all on the table.

#8 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duo_forbidden said:

NO. WAY.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool for him to direct Star Wars Episode VII, but I don't think it will happen.

It's a done deal according to the article.

#9 Posted by dondave (37916 posts) - - Show Bio

I can get behind this. JJ Abrams has yet to disappoint me, so I am all for this.

QFT

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

The director of Star Trek is going to direct Star Wars? That is really weird, it's kind of like Dot Cotton turning up in Coronation Street.

#11 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

@dvorak: Until I hear a real confirmation about this, I'll remain skeptical. They have been way too many rumors and speculations about the new Star Wars trilogy, and I'm still optimistic and cautious about this.

#12 Posted by sora_thekey (8176 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason, in my head, I pictured Chris Pine playing Luke Skywalker and Zachary Quinto playing Han Solo...

@dondave said:

QFT

QFT x2

#13 Posted by iceman228433 (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this guy a super hero? there seems to be nothing the man can't do Star Trek and Star Wars my god.

#14 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3851 posts) - - Show Bio

Those are indeed big shoes to fill, but if Abrams is wiling, I support this decision.

#15 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, funny how he's doing ST and SW...two known rival franchises lol. To him it's all the same though, big money

#16 Posted by Inverno (13242 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

#17 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

JJ. Abrams: Has Comicvine ever told you who was the director of the new Starwars

Me: They told me enough...they said it might be Matthew Vaughn

JJ Abrams: No son, I AM THE DIRECTOR.

Me: Noo....that's not true...that's IMPOSSIBLE!

JJ ABrams: Join me, and together we will make a lackluster movie with unanswered questions and plotholes throughout the movie!

Me: NOOOOO!!!....NOOOooooo.... x/

#18 Posted by Bonzi161 (44 posts) - - Show Bio

i really like his concepts... but i dont care for his followthrough... i guess we will just have to see how this turns out...

#19 Posted by SoA (4841 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he will purposely sabotage star wars so star trek can flourish

#20 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there are far worse directors out there, so I guess he'll do.

#21 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5078 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so psyched for this movie.

#22 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting...

#23 Posted by ThexX (1570 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

Star Trek was cool and the second one looks like it will be epic so yea I think he's a good choice

Agreed.

#24 Posted by CrashBang (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Abrams said in an interview a few weeks ago that he refused to touch this. Now it's confirmed? Weird. If true then I am totally very much okay with this!

#25 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is true, I'm all for it!

#26 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me know when Disney makes that film about Joss Whedon and J J Abrams oil wrestling for the crown of king of the nerds....

#27 Posted by Fetts (4466 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear Mother of God thank you J.J. Abrams!

#28 Posted by AmazingWebHead (2791 posts) - - Show Bio

First good news about the third trilogy I've heard

#29 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the modern Spielberg in my opinion, the premises for his past movies haven't been to interesting to me, but they were all enjoyable and well done.

#30 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be cool with this! But I'd rather see him on Justice League

#31 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

The director of Star Trek is going to direct Star Wars? That is really weird, it's kind of like Dot Cotton turning up in Coronation Street.

Most people outside of the UK won't get that Joke.

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Most people outside of the UK won't get that Joke.

and I'm betting a few from the UK didn't get it ether lol

#33 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

Really confusing since J.J. Abrams insisted that he would not do this out of loyalty to Star Trek. If this is true then I guess by his own words he is a traitor. x]

#34 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a great choice! J.J. Abrams is fantastic! But it's odd since he directs the Star Trek movies...?

#35 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

I'd be cool with this! But I'd rather see him on Justice League

Now that would have been interesting!

#36 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds Fine.

#37 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

LIGHT SABRE LEEEEEEENNNNNSSS FFFFLLLLAAAAARRRRE!!!!!!

#38 Posted by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

UGHHHHHH

Am I the only one who think he butchered Star Trek!? Cloverfield was alright I guess....

#39 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

And lo, two factions that were once at each others necks (or more realistically, each other being people within their own fanbase due to the continuouse arguments over which was the better captain and who shot first) came together in a unity that would spread through out the stars to galaxys far far away.

#40 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY, MORE LENS FLARES!!!!

#41 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. He was my second choice as director. My first choice was Whedon, but he is understandably busy.

#42 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Abrams did a really good job of capturing the style and era of E.T. when he made Super 8. Since Star Wars was born out of that same era, it's no surprise to see him doing the same.

#43 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7897 posts) - - Show Bio

The REAL question is: Will they ignore the Expanded Universe and make their own stories up?

With Mark Hammill and Harrison Ford being so old, they should really make the movie focus on Jacen Solo and his training with an older Grandmaster Jedi Luke Skywalker.

#44 Posted by DoctorFluxx (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I was kinda hoping he would be considered for The Justice League, but this could work out swimmingly.

#45 Posted by Mutated_jedi (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to think. it might work out. Actually thats more or less my philosophy for all the new star wars films by disney.

#46 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. This is interesting news. Im still waiting for a basic plot, until then I will keep my judgements to myself.

#47 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know much about JJ Abrams to hate him or love him, so i just hope he doesnt screw this up.

#48 Posted by The Stegman (24627 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically

This

Will Become

This

#49 Posted by daniel_shin_798 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

execute order 66.

#50 Posted by Dude4 (44 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a competent director and I'm sure he'll make a good effort but I was really wanting Guillermo Del Toro or Bryan Singer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.