It's Official: J.J. Abrams to Direct 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Posted by G-Man (29424 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesterday word came out 'from sources' that J.J. Abrams was going to be directing Star Wars: Episode VII. Even though it was a strong report, it still wasn't 100% official...until now.

After receiving an email from both Disney and Lucasfilm, it is now absolutely official. J.J. Abrams will indeed be directing Episode VII and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

What does George Lucas think of this?

I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.

J.J. Abrams also made the following statement:

To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor. I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer onSherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Now we have to sit around and wait.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Walzo (4352 posts) - - Show Bio

Woot woot.

#2 Posted by dondasch (925 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this

#3 Posted by LiquidSwords (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Dat lens flare!

#4 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool beans

#6 Posted by zombietag (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

best case scenario, ill say that

#7 Posted by Inverno (12832 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. This is good news, but I am still cautiously optimistic toward it...

#8 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

queue all the haters saying that the Star Trek reboot was horrible and complaining about lens flares

#9 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

nice!

#10 Posted by wmwadeii (3136 posts) - - Show Bio

only ti will tell. i for one cant wait, but it does leave star trek 3 under new management

#11 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Two of the Greatest SF series in one man's hands. I should be worried and yet, I am not.

#12 Posted by SavageDragon (2166 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I thought it was just a rumor. Guess not.

#13 Posted by HexThis (857 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I think JJ Abrams is a loser. But people liked Star Trek and, though it jumped the shark, I liked Alias.

Don't mess this up, you squirmy little twit.

#14 Posted by Deformity (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Abrams is talented, but I was hoping for someone with a little more meat on their bones in terms of scope and gravity... Abrams is a very self serving director, much like Chris Nolan and very unoriginal. Also, doing Star Wars along with Star Trek just seems wrong to me. I guess only time will tell. AT least it wasn't Matt Vaughn.. I'm happy about that at least.

#15 Posted by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

queue all the haters saying that the Star Trek reboot was horrible and complaining about lens flares

Inb4!

#16 Posted by UrmanitaRules (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars is in good hands.

#17 Posted by Tuffy11111 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

My ceiling was raised from a 7.0 to MAYBE an 8.0

It won't be amazing, but I think this will give it a fair shot to be decent (good)

#18 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16991 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome :D

#19 Posted by Illuminatus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

You go, JJ! 

#20 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been this excited for a STAR WARS movie since before EPISODE 1. I'm hopeful once more for this series. I wonder how much he'll change the setting. His STAR TREK was wild but cool. I kind of want to watch that again.

#21 Posted by Mucklefluga (2434 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#22 Posted by Tony_Shark (453 posts) - - Show Bio

@LiquidSwords said:

Dat lens flare!

Every light saber will have it!

#23 Posted by Lvenger (16054 posts) - - Show Bio

There are worse directors to choose from. Though how he'll manage both Star Wars and Star Trek will be intriguing to see.

#24 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1545 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard people said Star Trek was bad... I just don't understand why. The script was elegant, satisfied with casting choice... I personally think J.J.A did it right, and I am looking forward to watch him directing SW VII.

#25 Posted by cyberchop979 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

This. Is. Awesome.

#26 Posted by you_want_elvis (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979 said:

This. Is. Awesome.

@cyberchop979:

YES

Elvis

#27 Posted by LordRequiem (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because the first Star Trek worked doesn't mean this will.

#28 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this to say the least. Hoping it will be great!

#29 Posted by Skunkstein (582 posts) - - Show Bio

Gon B Good!

#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27401 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

Just because the first Star Trek worked doesn't mean this will.

doesn't mean it wont ether

#31 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3405 posts) - - Show Bio

YEAH!!!

#32 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1160 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll still remain cautiously optimistic. Still waiting on that script.

#33 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (13710 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad.

#35 Posted by BritishMonkey (309 posts) - - Show Bio

Very good news.

#36 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

Great News

#37 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, Am I the only one disgusted by this? I don't like JJ Abram at all. I just hope this movie doesn't turn out to be a convoluted mess. I really want movies with substance and depth T.T

#38 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the choice makes sense. And let's face it, whatever he does can't be worse than Episode I.

#39 Posted by The_Tree (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

My most anticipated movie of 2015, even more pumped now that Abrams is involved!

#40 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Star trek's design also had a timeless yet modern feel to it so I'm hoping he can bring that to the movie and hopefully we won't see any Jedi braids or stupid costumes.

#41 Posted by Hamlet (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Jar Jar Abrams ruined Trek by dumbing it down for the masses and pi$$ing all over established continuity. Expect SWVII to be a fancy-looking but ultimately cold and unfulfilling experience. This is modern Hollywood, I'm afraid. Abrams, Tim Burton and Peter Jackson make (mostly) horrible films that make studios lots and lots of cash. Shame.

#42 Posted by Hashbrowns (66 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty much how I felt when they announced Joss Whedon would direct The Avengers. It's one of those all-too-rare moments in filmaking when you just sit back, smile and wonder why these kinds of "well, DUH!" decisions aren't made all the time. Seriously, who else would be a better, more practical fit?

Fan of the franchise? Check.

Proven action director? Check.

Financially successful director? Check.

Good grasp of effects integration? Check.

Able to get natural, likeable performances? Check.

Isn't George Lucas? CHECK. CHECK. CHECK!!!

The studio wins, the franchise wins and the fans will most likely win. Disney is off to a great, great start. After the prequel disasters, I really thought that was it; Star Wars was great once, but then became an embarassment not only to scifi/fantasy, but to moviemaking in general. The Clone Wars series managed to redeem the franchise to a survivable level, which is a minor miracle in itself. But now, what with Kasdan, Arndt and now JJ Abrams' involvement? Perhaps a dark middle chapter in Star Wars history is about to give way to a bright and shining future of exciting space opera adventure!

#43 Edited by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooo

oooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#44 Posted by KnightofSteel (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. Now let's hear some casting news!

#45 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

My faith is renewed fully! Abrams at the helm? Count me interested!

#46 Posted by SuperJedi17 (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i can't say much about this guy.Never saw anything he made except the trek movie,and i'm no trek fan either,but i enjoyed that movie a bit.Toy story 3 screenwriter for this movie?Ok,that movie should've been a little funnier,but if he can pull it off,there could be quite a star wars film being written.Lawrence Kasdans involvement? Yep,i'm ready for more info.

#47 Posted by bumpton (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmkicksballs13 said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooo

oooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss

ssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 Posted by ssejllenrad (12783 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by TheHeat (441 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Trek was an awesome movie. As much as I like this, I'd prefer JJ to do the GotG movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.