Follow

Luke Cage

Character » Luke Cage appears in 3077 issues.

Luke Cage, wrongly convicted and unjustly imprisoned, was altered in a failed prison experiment that granted him unbreakable skin and superhuman strength. With his street smarts and unending determination to do right, he fights for the common man! He eventually married Jessica Jones and had a daughter with her.

Why I find Luke Cage offensive

• 115 results
    cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By cameron83

@jointron33 said:

To me, Luke Cage is the epitome of coonery buffoonery. An imprisoned street thug who gets beaten by the white man, only does hero work for money, sleeps with anything that wears panties, and then knocked up and married some white woman. And he's Marvel's main black guy!!!!!! I don't find him cool, or badass; i find him utterly disgusting, as is the fact that other blacks are "empowered" by such foolishness. No, this isn't a hate thread, but riddle me this: why do we cry foul about diversity, then support degrading nonsense like this, yet attack companies like Milestone because they "sold out" to the white man?

Maybe if we were talking about Cage in the 70's back when blaxploitation films were "the thing" you'd have a point because he was very stereotypically black but now (although he's not one of my favorites) he's a fairly decent black superhero. You say he "sleeps with anything that wears panties" when in fact he doesn't. In actuality that description wouldn't apply to any superhero I can think of, maybe some anti-heroes like Deadpool but even guys like Stark & Daredevil whom get laid alot don't even fit that description. Also IIRC Cage was in prison because he was falsely accused, he's also one of several superheroes that have gone to jail (Captain America,Spider-Man,Daredevil,Winter Soldier,Iron Man,etc.) have been to jail as well.

Yes, he married a white woman. What's wrong with that? How is that buffoonery? He's ALSO the only superhero that has been a GOOD father to his daughter. Everyone else in the Avengers that has had children has COMPLETELY failed as a parent.

I agree.

Also,WTF does his race or his wife's race have to do with anything?!?!

(That last statement wasn't directed towards you,Vance)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@amutant said:

@deathstrokemerc said:

I'm a white man and I think Luke Cage is an inspirational hero.

That goes double for me.

dudes,your race doesn't matter.You can be purple and still find Luke Cage as inspirational.

Spike Lee, is that you?!

It just might be.....

He's gonna go on strike!

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Eeshaan1685

oh shizz. GIF fail lol

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jointron33: I think Black Panther is Marvels main black character. Also Luke Cage was created to parody the black exploitation films of the 70'sand they never painted black men in the best light it was all stereotypes. Even when Azzerello rebooted Cage in the early 2000's he was the black exploitation of the time so he was a street thug that was more or less 50 cent. With all of that said he has grown leaps and bounds as a character with fatherhood and becoming a husband. He is no long that street talking thug that sleeps with anything that moves he is now a family man. Showing that a character could be made in some negative stereotypical ways but threw time a character can evolve into a true hero.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White chicks are awesome...

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I think you're being a bit overly sensitive here to be honest...

Yeah.....

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#57 vance_astro  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

He is no long that street talking thug that sleeps with anything that moves he is now a family man.

He was never that though.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: He was the street talking thug when he was rebooted and from what Ms Marvel said in an issue of Alias she said he sleeps with anything that wears a cape...I believe that is the term she used. So he was that when he was in the Max imprint but that version was unpopular.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 vance_astro  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

@vance_astro: He was the street talking thug when he was rebooted

He was never ANY type of thug. He's been a superhero since the 70's.

@br_havoc said:

Ms Marvel said in an issue of Alias she said he sleeps with anything that wears a cape...I believe that is the term she used. So he was that when he was in the Max imprint but that version was unpopular.

Cage debunked the "cape chaser" rumor in Alias #15.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BR_Havoc

@vance_astro said:

@br_havoc said:

@vance_astro: He was the street talking thug when he was rebooted

He was never ANY type of thug. He's been a superhero since the 70's.

@br_havoc said:

Ms Marvel said in an issue of Alias she said he sleeps with anything that wears a cape...I believe that is the term she used. So he was that when he was in the Max imprint but that version was unpopular.

Cage debunked the "cape chaser" rumor in Alias #15.

What I meant by thug is when he was rebooted in the Cage mini series they tried to give him that thug attitude that was popular at the time. If that makes sense? then again that is just my opinion of when I read it. I always took the 70's era Luke Cage as tongue in cheek humor but I found the updated version to have lost that. When Marvel Max rebooted him they tried to make him the black exploitation character (which is heavily parodied based.) but not for 78 from 03 so he was more of a gangsta, I mean if I remember correctly he wore a gold grill. Was he a horrible person no he never was.

Ah ok sorry I have only read the first 12 issues of Alias I got the rest in trades just have not gotten around to reading them yet.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

What I meant by thug is when he was rebooted in the Cage mini series they tried to give him that thug attitude that was popular at the time. If that makes sense? then again that is just my opinion of when I read it. I always took the 70's era Luke Cage as tongue in cheek humor but I found the updated version to have lost that. When Marvel Max rebooted him they tried to make him the black exploitation character (which is heavily parodied based.) but not for 78 from 03 so he was more of a gangsta, I mean if I remember correctly he wore a gold grill. Was he a horrible person no he never was.

I understand what you mean now. The Marvel Max version of Cage in the book written by Azzarello was non-canon, it wasn't a reboot. That wasn't the real Luke Cage.

@br_havoc said:

Ah ok sorry I have only read the first 12 issues of Alias I got the rest in trades just have not gotten around to reading them yet.

Aw man, you have to read issue 15. It's the funniest thing I've ever read. The argument between Cage & Jessica is classic. What's also funny is you mentioned Ms.Marvel saying that and Jessica brings it up in the argument and Cage knows right away who she got it from. I would post the pages for you but there is too much profanity in them.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

I understand what you mean now. The Marvel Max version of Cage in the book written by Azzarello was non-canon, it wasn't a reboot. That wasn't the real Luke Cage.

@br_havoc said:

Aw man, you have to read issue 15. It's the funniest thing I've ever read. The argument between Cage & Jessica is classic. What's also funny is you mentioned Ms.Marvel saying that and Jessica brings it up in the argument and Cage knows right away who she got it from. I would post the pages for you but there is too much profanity in them.

Huh I never knew that was not canon. I guess I just thought it was the same because he is kind of similar (not to the degree of the mini series) in Alias.

I will get back to reading Alias, I enjoyed the story its just there is so many month comics I read that it was had to find the time. LOL yeah I can think there would be a ton of swearing in that argument I mean the first line out of Cage's mouth in that series he swears a number of times.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 vance_astro  Moderator

@br_havoc said:

Huh I never knew that was not canon. I guess I just thought it was the same because he is kind of similar (not to the degree of the mini series) in Alias.

Almost none of the Marvel Max books are canon. Alias of course is one of those that happens to be.

@br_havoc said:

I will get back to reading Alias, I enjoyed the story its just there is so many month comics I read that it was had to find the time. LOL yeah I can think there would be a ton of swearing in that argument I mean the first line out of Cage's mouth in that series he swears a number of times.

Yea, if you read up to issue 12, there isn't much more to go. It's a good series. One of my favorite especially under the Marvel Max imprint.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@vance_astro:

I wonder why Bendis never made any mention of Luke and Jessica Drew's relationship in New Avengers,since she slept with him according to Carol.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm glad luke cage is getting his own series again.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By daredevil21134

i'm glad luke cage is getting his own series again.

He is?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 vance_astro  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

@vance_astro:

I wonder why Bendis never made any mention of Luke and Jessica Drew's relationship in New Avengers,since she slept with him according to Carol.

Maybe Carol doesn't know what she's talking about.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@vance_astro:

Maybe Carol doesn't know what she's talking about.

Maybe......but I think he did it lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 vance_astro  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

Iunno know, he may have but that would be kind of slutty on her part. I've never really seen her interact with Cage so it would be like they never had that strong of a relationship but they just had a random one night stand one day, and then he marries her best friend...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

Iunno know, he may have but that would be kind of slutty on her part. I've never really seen her interact with Cage so it would be like they never had that strong of a relationship but they just had a random one night stand one day, and then he marries her best friend...

Drew and Jones are best friends?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 vance_astro  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

No, and I don't know why I said that. Jones & Danvers are best friends. Jones and Drew are cool, I don't know why I always want to link Jones & Drew, maybe it's because Alias was originally meant to be about Jessica Drew.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

No, and I don't know why I said that. Jones & Danvers are best friends. Jones and Drew are cool, I don't know why I always want to link Jones & Drew, maybe it's because Alias was originally meant to be about Jessica Drew.

I wish it would have been

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 vance_astro  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

@vance_astro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Why, you don't like Jones?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134 said:

@vance_astro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Why, you don't like Jones?

I do like Jessica Jones but man,I just wonder what kind of development Bends could've done with her in that series.It seems like all the really cool stuff she did New Avengers wasn't her and that seems like a waste of character growth.When New Avengers first started it seemed like a lot of people including myself became interested in her.And when she was revealed to be skrull I just thought man what a waste.I think that could have affected her last ongoing series not sure though.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 vance_astro  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

I do like Jessica Jones but man,I just wonder what kind of development Bends could've done with her in that series.It seems like all the really cool stuff she did New Avengers wasn't her and that seems like a waste of character growth.When New Avengers first started it seemed like a lot of people including myself became interested in her.And when she was revealed to be skrull I just thought man what a waste.I think that could have affected her last ongoing series not sure though.

I heard that her last series got cancelled because Maleev needed a break. He got burned out between all the books he was doing.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Dude you get a follow for this! Oh..and I am black...but what's a Nubian?

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: That will Piss off some people too. There actually is no way to please anyone. Of any ethnic group. People just love to btch.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#78  Edited By joshmightbe

I find Tonto offensive but he gets to be in a movie so why shouldn't Luke get a movie.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I heard that her last series got cancelled because Maleev needed a break. He got burned out between all the books he was doing.

I heard that too but after Maleev took a rest why didn't they resume the series instead of giving Moon Knight his 20th try at an ongoing series?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#80  Edited By SC  Moderator

@guardiandevil83 said:

@sc: Dude you get a follow for this! Oh..and I am black...but what's a Nubian?

Heh heh thanks. Okay I laughed at your joke. Unless it wasn't a joke, in which case Nubia is an area in Africa with a history of having powerful kingdoms throughout its past. In modern times it can be sometimes be referenced to for its power, wealth, success, and there is an additional context available because Nubian people were black people. You have the hip hop group Brand Nubian for example. A few In the movie Chasing Amy, a black character makes a reference to how Darth Vader is a Nubian god and Luke Skywalker was racist and then another character in the movie asks what's a Nubian. ^_^

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke Cage is a great character and you what you described is a sterotypical black character witch is not Luke Cage. Also I don't think any comic company has a main black guy.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@sc: It was a joke. Lol but thanks for the response.

8subjectartist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I do admit I can relate to the people out there that find the luke cage character...disturbing. I don't like marvel's overall develop of the character for being THE mainstream black African American superhero in marvel comic books. Can't a black man have the same loftly, ideas like captain America or superman. That " hero for hire" is crap, and it was justified by making cage a victim of the system. An the costume thing is another BIG issue with me. They give him NO individuality with this t-shirt and jeans approach, and since this the character is written by white writers, its the simple sterotyping.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

luke cage is an awesome character i can't wait till they make a movie about him someday !

Avatar image for shadowkiller2000
    ShadowKiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: While I do believe Luke Cage's origins need a serious retcon, I also think you and many other critics of Cage look too much into his background and his negative traits and not on his positive traits.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By daredevil21134

Luke Cage better watch out before Vic Alvarez passes him in popularity

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i find this offensive, Ive never once seen luke cage eat a watermelon... joking aside Luke Cage was a character introduced during a racially volatile time and he was quite popular. He was imprisoned for a crime HE DIDNT COMMIT so hes not a thug he was just set up. hes not the only horndog hero out there either
    *cough*daredevil*cough* ...knock ups happen... AND in a flashback comic of Deadpool he beat the White Man.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't dig his marriage

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By kcjr

Although I know there is some trolling going on in some of these posts, it is true Luke Cage started out as a bit of a blaxploitation stereotype. I think Marvel needs to be given a pass simply due to the era Cage was created in. If he was a hero created today, it would be unacceptable. The "rebirth" of Luke Cage has him portrayed as honorably as any one of the A listers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
    deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

luke cage is an awesome character i can't wait till they make a movie about him someday !

I concur

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcjr said:

Although I know there is some trolling going on in some of these posts, it is true Luke Cage started out as a bit of a blaxploitation stereotype. I think Marvel needs to be given a pass simply due to the era Cage was created in. If he was a hero created today, it would be unacceptable. The "rebirth" of Luke Cage has him portrayed as honorably as any one of the A listers.

Interesting

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@z3ro180 said:

New flash no one give a flying f&£k

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By waezi2
    MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By MakkyD

@vance_astro said:

@jointron33 said:

To me, Luke Cage is the epitome of coonery buffoonery. An imprisoned street thug who gets beaten by the white man, only does hero work for money, sleeps with anything that wears panties, and then knocked up and married some white woman. And he's Marvel's main black guy!!!!!! I don't find him cool, or badass; i find him utterly disgusting, as is the fact that other blacks are "empowered" by such foolishness. No, this isn't a hate thread, but riddle me this: why do we cry foul about diversity, then support degrading nonsense like this, yet attack companies like Milestone because they "sold out" to the white man?

Maybe if we were talking about Cage in the 70's back when blaxploitation films were "the thing" you'd have a point because he was very stereotypically black but now (although he's not one of my favorites) he's a fairly decent black superhero. You say he "sleeps with anything that wears panties" when in fact he doesn't. In actuality that description wouldn't apply to any superhero I can think of, maybe some anti-heroes like Deadpool but even guys like Stark & Daredevil whom get laid alot don't even fit that description. Also IIRC Cage was in prison because he was falsely accused, he's also one of several superheroes that have gone to jail (Captain America,Spider-Man,Daredevil,Winter Soldier,Iron Man,etc.) have been to jail as well.

Yes, he married a white woman. What's wrong with that? How is that buffoonery? He's ALSO the only superhero that has been a GOOD father to his daughter. Everyone else in the Avengers that has had children has COMPLETELY failed as a parent.

Slightly off-topic but Scott Lang was a great parent and its one of the themes of the current FF series.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 vance_astro  Moderator

@maccyd said:

Slightly off-topic but Scott Lang was a great parent and its one of the themes of the current FF series.

Even though i'm reading FF, I for some reason forgot that Scott was around. He's been gone for so long.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#98  Edited By PeppeyHare
    Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
    turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

why bring this back? stop bringing things like this back.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By THORSON

99% of the villains are white (if they are not white then they are aliens)...does that mean white villains are offensive?

all they do is steal, kill, lie, rob, fraud, scam, trick, abuse, torture.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.