Follow

Luke Cage

Character » Luke Cage appears in 3079 issues.

Luke Cage, wrongly convicted and unjustly imprisoned, was altered in a failed prison experiment that granted him unbreakable skin and superhuman strength. With his street smarts and unending determination to do right, he fights for the common man! He eventually married Jessica Jones and had a daughter with her.

Why I find Luke Cage offensive

• 115 results
    jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

To me, Luke Cage is the epitome of coonery buffoonery. An imprisoned street thug who gets beaten by the white man, only does hero work for money, sleeps with anything that wears panties, and then knocked up and married some white woman. And he's Marvel's main black guy!!!!!! I don't find him cool, or badass; i find him utterly disgusting, as is the fact that other blacks are "empowered" by such foolishness. No, this isn't a hate thread, but riddle me this: why do we cry foul about diversity, then support degrading nonsense like this, yet attack companies like Milestone because they "sold out" to the white man?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I think you're being a bit overly sensitive here to be honest...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Luke Cage isn't stupid. He's actually really smart and one of the most trusted/reliable members of the Avengers. Just because he was raised in the hood and talks like someone from the hood doesn't make him stupid. In fact that line of thought it pretty offensive....

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

To me, Luke Cage is the epitome of coonery buffoonery. An imprisoned street thug who gets beaten by the white man (what? elaborate), only does hero work for money (he's done heroic acts many many times for free, other times guy's gotta eat; even peter wants a paycheck, logan everybody in new avengers gets paid, they have to live), sleeps with anything that wears panties (never saw this, give examples), and then knocked up and married some white woman (what do you have against interracial relationships? as for knocked up shit happens; to everbody, and they were in a relationship so...). And he's Marvel's main black guy!!!!!! I don't find him cool, or badass; i find him utterly disgusting, as is the fact that other blacks are "empowered" by such foolishness. No, this isn't a hate thread, but riddle me this: why do we cry foul about diversity, then support degrading nonsense like this, yet attack companies like Milestone(who/what is this?) because they "sold out" to the white man?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6 fesak  Moderator

I think you're being a bit overly trolling here to be honest...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@thetimestreamer:

everybody in new avengers gets paid

Not just the New Avengers but most teams under the Avengers banner. Forget the Avengers also most groups in general get their paid from different places.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To me, Luke Cage is the epitome of coonery buffoonery. An imprisoned street thug who gets beaten by the white man, only does hero work for money, sleeps with anything that wears panties, and then knocked up and married some white woman. And he's Marvel's main black guy!!!!!! I don't find him cool, or badass; i find him utterly disgusting, as is the fact that other blacks are "empowered" by such foolishness. No, this isn't a hate thread, but riddle me this: why do we cry foul about diversity, then support degrading nonsense like this, yet attack companies like Milestone because they "sold out" to the white man?

You know maybe I'd agree if it was back in the day when Luke was introduced to the MU, with the butterfly collar and metal headband, during the 70's and majority of the 80's with all the jive talk and what not. He went through a creative transformation through the 90's and though some of that language remained, he's evolved essentially to a cool character. A widely respected black character in the MU, and has led the New Avengers and the Thunderbolts. Honestly I liked him back in the day as well.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@dernman: only avengers i knew for sure that get paid

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

@dernman: only avengers i knew for sure that get paid

New Warriors were funded by Night Thrasher at times. X-Men had Xavior's family money. X-Factor had gov money when they worked there.

X-Factor now has agency money. Alpha Flight gov money. It goes on.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: so you don't like that cage married a white woman. that's it. ok. let me ask you this. how do you feel about him treating and saying straight up that iron fist is like his brother?

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: i know. i just stated the ones that get paid by the government (AKA the white man).

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Not even going to get into this can of worms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

LOL, yikes. Someone needs a sedative.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that he married a white woman, it's the message behind that. He wasn't put into the mainstream until after the having pre-marital sex with her. Also, when he did that, she was supposed to be at her lowest. So, basically, the only reason she let him do her(going up in the peanut butter,too, if u get my drift) is because she was depressed. It's the same dichotomy of anti-miscegenation laws that kept white woman safe from the ravages of a negro male's monstrous black mamba. And of course, he married her AFTER screwing her, which I don't agree with black or white. And the only reason he

Married was because she was having his kid, who she probably viewed as having "his little pickaninny". And aren't you tired of seeing black men as thugs who destroy their own communities or black woman who are " independent divas" who are really just tramps with fat asses? Why can't you have a positive relationship between a wholesome black man and woman?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What makes you say he's 'Marvels main black guy'? If you mean most famous or iconic, wouldn't that title go to Black Panther?

So why would it be better if he was paired with a black woman?

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jesusdisciple001

I'm from Africa and I say he should even marry someone chinese, must he follow some stupid role of marrying a black character what the heck happened to diversity?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

You have every right to feel offended, but I feel that being offended by a black hero who acts "hood" (or whatever) is like being offended by Bunker from the Teen Titans because he's a gay teen that acts flamboyant. It's a fact of life. Do all gay people act that way? No. But many do. I feel that it's exactly the same for Cage.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 SC  Moderator

I agree with you! For years in this industry, whenever a black character, hero or villain, is introduced usually by white writers and artists, they got slapped with racist names that singled them out as Negros or they weren't even written as Negroes at all, like Blackbolt or Blackcat! Now--my book, "White-Hating Astonishing Avengers", don't have any of that bullshizz. The hero's name is Tyrone Neyo Jackson and he's descended from the black tribe that established the first pantheon of gods on the planet while all you European god mofos were all hiding out in caves 'n castles, terrified of the Atum. He's a strong role-model that a young black reader can look up to. In the first issue he kills Thor and Sentry and wears Mjolnir around his neck like bling reclaiming the divine god power that Odin stole from his father the King of Gods Godpac Maleek. The black man is no longer going to be playing the minstrel in the medium of comics and sci-fi fantasy. We're keeping it real! And we're going to get respect by any means necessary. Check this out after he go kill Thor and Sentry he go manhandle Hulk by stabbing him in the chest with Blue Marvels sell out hash. Then after Emma Frost, Sue Storm throw themselves at his feet he go say "HELL NO TO THAT" and use Silver Surfers surfboard to drive to Storms place where he will make her dye her hair a more natural color then he go put a ring on that because he respect dat. Then him and Black Panther go take over the world and make it better than Reed and Tony and Bruce ever did. Then he will successfully integrate all the mutants into society since they are black at heart and Tyrone Neyo looks out for his peeps unlike some **cough** Whiterine** then he will settle down with Monica Rambeau - who is a ten where Storm is a 4. Storm ain't even the first black X-Character thats Darwin. Then he is go make Franklin Richards and Galactus his heralds and play basketball with Living Tribunal in the weekend and yes anybody who wears a golden body suit and a purple doorag is obviously a black man, but you see Marvel ever admitting the ultimate power in the universe the Living Tribunal is black? Hell no, thats why he is missing a fourth face shaded out because its representing denial.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@jointron33: there are plenty of representations of succesful black men. marvel has one of the best heroes: black panther (happens to be black). he's smart, honorable, a king, one of the most respected men in the marvel universe. and he has had a marriage with a black woman. and for a long time their had happy supportive marriage. the best that come to mind when they were in fantastic four where they took over marvel's premiere white marriage and did an awesome job at that. misty knight is down to earth no BS. so is photon. not all of them are married because these are comics. marvel consider marriage borring. doctor voodoo has his own clinic before, again, stepping to replace the 'white man' as sorcerer supreme.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

For the person who replied to the post: I have nothing against interracial relationships per se, but I feel that Marvel's main black guy should be married to a black woman. Cage didn't start getting used again and put on the Avengers until after he was "made human" by screwing some white woman in the tailpipe. At DC, John Stewart has been paired with Fatality, a black woman. Icon's deceased wife was black. Hell(no pun intended), even Spawn's wife was black with blatant black features. Why can't Marvel have a their main black guy married to a GOOD sister, and no, not some loudmouthed ghetto tramp like what black women are portrayed as. It's like Tyler Perry movies where black men and women never have a positive relationship and all of the characters are coonish and ghetto. It's disgusting to me, and where are the white liberals at complaining? Oh yeah, I forgot. To portray that blacks are on the same level as whites defeats their whole mindset. Bastards......

This is so offensive I was disgusted at first, before I started laughing hysterically, and now I'm disgusted again.

Cage started getting used again in Avengers because the guy in charge was Bendis, and Bendis is a big fan of Luke Cage. He's also the one who made the decision to, as you so charmingly described it, have Luke start "screwing some white woman in the tailpipe". He didn't do that because he thought Luke needed the association, he did it because he thought Jessica Jones needed the association with a character people were familiar with. Nor is Bendis the first one to broach the subject of Luke in an interracial relationship ---- in Hudlin's run on Black Panther, Luke claimed to have once made the beast with two backs with Black Cat; no one batted an eyelid at that. Marvel's also had Blue Marvel (Candace Brashear), Prodigy (Surge), Storm (Forge), Black Panther (Nikki Adams), Misty Knight (Iron Fist) and a host of other black characters who have been in interracial relationships, so why is this so shocking?

Don't get me wrong, Luke is an idiotic character at the best of times. His relationship with Jessica Jones just isn't a reason for that, if you ask me.

DC has plenty of interracial relationships. John Stewart has also been paired with blue women from outer space. He's been married to a pink woman from outer space. No one finds that offensive. It's a little funny that you're complaining about black men and women being portrayed as never having a positive relationship and then in the same breath quoting John Stewart and Fatality as a good relationship, when 90% of their relationship has consisted of her trying to literally kill him for destroying her planet and wiping out her entire race.

We really need someone to make a thread complaining about why Linda Park didn't marry a good Asian man with a pair of nunchuks by his side 24/7 instead of some Midwest cracker who runs fast.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jointron33

I guess I shouldn't have such a problem with interracial marriages......I just.......ugh

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke Cage is actually one of my favorite characters. Why? Because he fights no matter how much the odds are not in his favor for what he thinks is right. And he is bad-ass.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and I really doubt they said that Cage had anal sex with Jessica Jones, that's a little much for a marvel comic that isn't under a MAX title to go into.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#27 SC  Moderator

@vortex13 said:

Oh and I really doubt they said that Cage had anal sex with Jessica Jones, that's a little much for a marvel comic that isn't under a MAX title to go into.

Heh heh it was MAX.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@vortex13 said:

Alias was a MAX title. The comic doesn't outright say what kind of sex it was, but it's left kind of ambiguous.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane: @sc: Ah, didn't know that lol. Fair enough. But it was a one night stand initially and last I checked you can't get pregnant that way lol. Of course there is always the chance that it was more than once in the night.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mean to offend Anyone with this post, and no I'm not against interracial marriages

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By w0nd

The main post has a good point. I see people complaining when a black character talks like...well a black person from the hood, how it is stereotypical and degrading. Honestly it comes down to who's reading or viewing and what they find offensive. I do not find luke cage to be offensive...i did not find those two idiot robots from transformers to be offensive, or jar jar binks...i know lots who do though. The safest thing to do it seems is to make every black character an uncle tom with perfect grammar.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

At first Luke Cage was an interesting character for me and he continued to be like that until the end of the first volume of New AVengers.After that he got the Bendis treatment and with time I started hating him more and more.Currently he is one of those characters in Marvel that I can't stand and that won't change any time soon if Bendis continues writing him.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@w0nd said:

The main post has a good point. I see people complaining when a black character talks like...well a black person from the hood, how it is stereotypical and degrading. Honestly it comes down to who's reading or viewing and what they find offensive. I do not find luke cage to be offensive...i did not find those two idiot robots from transformers to be offensive, or jar jar binks...i know lots who do though. The safest thing to do it seems is to make every black character an uncle tom with perfect grammar.

i feel the same way. i was a little squirt when Phantom Menace came out and Jar Jar was my dude. i enjoyed Mudflap and Skids and saw them in the same vein as Jamie Kennedy in Malibu's most wanted.

on the subject of Luke, some black people talk like that its just the way life is.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, you find a comic character offensive?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to state the relationship between Jessica Jones and Luke Cage in ALIAS was developed awesomely and realistically. I suggest people read it first before passing disparaging words about it -- the two of them were very much best friends and Luke Cage was fantastically presented under Bendis' pen.

Just saying. Cage didn't marry Jessica because she was pregnant with his child -- if you read ALIAS, you would know that.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By w0nd

@awesam: there are lots of offensive things in comics, read an old archie, the black people are basically dummies with terrible jobs who were drawn to look like monkeys

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@awesam: there are lots of offensive things in comics, read an old archie, the black people are basically dummies with terrible jobs who were drawn to look like monkeys

Comics are comics, that's all they are. Luke Cage isn't even bad.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By w0nd

@awesam said:
    @w0nd said:

Comics are comics, that's all they are. Luke Cage isn't even bad.

you could apply that logic to any thing racist though. it depends on your level of tolerance towards it. Like songs written by the kkk. "oh music is just music though...that's all they are" "oh racism is just racism though, that's it is"

I am not saying Luke Cage is bad, but who am I to say what offends someone and what doesn't the poster raised some valid points.

An imprisoned street thug who gets beaten by the white man, only does hero work for money, sleeps with anything that wears panties, and then knocked up and married some white woman.

He's clearly not like that anymore I am fine with luke

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Just because one black guy's like that, he's offended? Should I be offended by every white supervillain, or criminal? A comic is usually drawn by one person. If someone's offended by one persons drawings, then they're just overly sensitive. Racism is just racism. People make it seem bigger than it actually is.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spike Lee, is that you?!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not so certain anymore, but when I first read the OP, I assumed his issue with the marriage was the stereotypical nature of a black man always chasing white women. And thats a perfectly understandable point. And any black woman you see in popular media is almost universally a trampy, mouthy, hood-rat, as opposed to a respectable, professional with an education. I can understand the desire to see some popular black characters subvert those tropes and have a mature and healthy marriage, between two successful, intellectual, black individuals.

Like I said, once the op started talking about interracial marriage, he lost me.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By w0nd

@awesam said:

@w0nd: Just because one black guy's like that, he's offended? Should I be offended by every white supervillain, or criminal? A comic is usually drawn by one person. If someone's offended by one persons drawings, then they're just overly sensitive. Racism is just racism. People make it seem bigger than it actually is.

you could be yes lol that's your personal opinion. I can't tell your brain what to find offensive and what not to. I respect the original posters opinion because he listed reasons and examples why. I may not agree with them but he had valid points like I said and as long as it doesn't turn into a flame war with people hurling insults back and fourth then so be it, expressing it civil is something respect.

With that being said I agree with you some people get offended easily and I used to be bothered by that, but I let it go, especially the mudflap and skids uproar

@deaditegonzo I think he is just upset because Luke was a womanizer who had sex with EVERYONE, then knocked up a white woman and then married her because she got knocked up. Their proposal wasn't anything special, it was convenient.

He did learn to love her and they had a love hate relationship at times.,but he clearly cares about his wife and kid

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: lmao. somebody call clint eastwood. he'll straighten everything up.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 vance_astro  Moderator

@jointron33 said:

Maybe if we were talking about Cage in the 70's back when blaxploitation films were "the thing" you'd have a point because he was very stereotypically black but now (although he's not one of my favorites) he's a fairly decent black superhero. You say he "sleeps with anything that wears panties" when in fact he doesn't. In actuality that description wouldn't apply to any superhero I can think of, maybe some anti-heroes like Deadpool but even guys like Stark & Daredevil whom get laid alot don't even fit that description. Also IIRC Cage was in prison because he was falsely accused, he's also one of several superheroes that have gone to jail (Captain America,Spider-Man,Daredevil,Winter Soldier,Iron Man,etc.) have been to jail as well.

Yes, he married a white woman. What's wrong with that? How is that buffoonery? He's ALSO the only superhero that has been a GOOD father to his daughter. Everyone else in the Avengers that has had children has COMPLETELY failed as a parent.

Avatar image for deathstrokemerc
    DeathstrokeMerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DeathstrokeMerc

I'm a white man and I think Luke Cage is an inspirational hero.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

High Five

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#47  Edited By amutant

That goes double for me.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

luke cage is one of my favorite heroes because he tries to be a good person despite going to jail and being hood. there nothing wrong with him marrying jessica jones their relationship is very realistic and i like that about his character. i have nothing against interracial marriage, a relationship is about between two people. not skin color. i'm curious why does luke cage have to marry a black woman give me 5 reasons why?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mega_spidey01: Maybe not 5, but there are so few good portrayals of black women in media, let alone strong black marriages. Selfish I know, but still.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.