White luke cage parody !

Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

checkout this funny parody video of luke cage ! 
  

#1 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

writing my death threat now...

#2 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny but it mocks the character of Luke Cage, someone who connects to black comic book readers, someone who in a way is the Black Nationalist of comics.

#3 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Im Black and im both rolling on the floor laughing and shaking my fist in rage at the same time 
in the words of the man with the new suit "Im gonna punch you in the face"
#4 Posted by thesuperman (11 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:


                    It's funny but it mocks the character of Luke Cage, someone who connects to black comic book readers, someone who in a way is the Black Nationalist of comics.

                   

               
#5 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

I would pay to see that movie. 

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this was not only funny but also good commentary on how race is still a factor when casting actors to play comic characters.

#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

ha! Why not?

#8 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3491 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

I think this was not only funny but also good commentary on how race is still a factor when casting actors to play comic characters.

Exactly. It's less of a parody of Luke Cage, himself, than a parody of the line "race isn't set in stone anymore." I appreciate what they did here.
#9 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

@PowerHerc said:

I think this was not only funny but also good commentary on how race is still a factor when casting actors to play comic characters.

Exactly. It's less of a parody of Luke Cage, himself, than a parody of the line "race isn't set in stone anymore." I appreciate what they did here.

I agree. I appreciate it as well.

#10 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@PowerHerc said:

I think this was not only funny but also good commentary on how race is still a factor when casting actors to play comic characters.

Exactly. It's less of a parody of Luke Cage, himself, than a parody of the line "race isn't set in stone anymore." I appreciate what they did here.

I agree. I appreciate it as well.

its only fair right?
#11 Posted by biggkeem89 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

That was great

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Yes. If the Kingpin, Heimdall (whose sister Sif was still white in the movie), Perry White, etc. can all become black on the silver screen why not Luke Cage? Personally, I'd like to see actors of a characters race cast to play him or her. It is an important part of a character and how fans perceive and relate to them.

#13 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: And Catwoman too dude....
#14 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@PowerHerc: And Catwoman too dude....

Yes. Catwoman, too.

#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: I agree with everything you wrote sir ! Heimdall is Stif brother? O_O did not know that.
#16 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

Well race is still a factor when playing comic book characters.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@PowerHerc: I agree with everything you wrote sir ! Heimdall is Stif brother? O_O did not know that.

Yes; Heimdall and Sif are indeed brother and sister.

#18 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah ! i can't wait for them to make a make movie about luke cage. i know exactly who they should cast for luke cage eminem he be perfect and the movie will be ten better than ironman because.  

#19 Edited by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@Primmaster64: Yes. If the Kingpin, Heimdall (whose sister Sif was still white in the movie), Perry White, etc. can all become black on the silver screen why not Luke Cage? Personally, I'd like to see actors of a characters race cast to play him or her. It is an important part of a character and how fans perceive and relate to them.

There's a difference between changing the title character's race and changing the race of a side character like Perry White. Making Luke Cage white is totally ridiculous and painting everything with a broad brush by saying "If they did it with that person, they can do it with this person too" is equally ridiculous. This video was mocking both ideas, they did a good job, it was funny.
#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

Plus making Luke Cage white goes against his character, This is someone who didn't be apart of the Superhuman Registaration Act due to it reminding him of the Jim Crow Laws and slvarty

#21 Edited by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lonestar88: Making Luke Cage white is totally ridiculous. Changing any characters race is totally ridiculous, no matter if it's a so-called 'title character' or a 'side character.'

The movie makers should leave the character the race he or she was created as and create a new character if they want one of a different race.

#22 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: @Jnr6Lil
 
Um... Guys... You do know that they were kidding right?  Making Luke Cage white, was the joke...  Obviously it was wrong...  it was SOOO wrong on so many different levels... That's why it was funny.
#23 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: Yeah, I noticed it was funny. It also makes another statement, though.

#24 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@Lonestar88: Making Luke Cage white is totally ridiculous. Changing any characters race is totally ridiculous, no matter if it's a so-called 'title character' or a 'side character.'

The movie makers should leave the character the race he or she was created as and create a new character if they want one of a different race.

I think you missed the point, it wasn't just that they were changing a characters race that made it ridiculous, it was that they were changing Luke Cage's race, the blackest character in all of comic books. The guy even said it, its "like making Shaft white".  Making Perry White black is not at all the equivalent of making Luke Cage white. Being black is an intrinsic part of Cage's character, being white is not intrinsic to Perry White. ....... Also, who cares, its Perry White. 
 
You can argue that making Perry white black is silly, but obviously its nowhere near as silly as making Luke Cage white.
#25 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

luke cage is  like  2pac in the marvel universe he represents the common man who tries to do the right thing. 
making luke cage white is like making rocky in the movies  black or latino.

#26 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

just make more like bill harken from alphas then you  won't have to worry about stereotypes of the character. 

#27 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:


                   

@Primmaster64 said:

@PowerHerc: I agree with everything you wrote sir ! Heimdall is Stif brother? O_O did not know that.

Yes; Heimdall and Sif are indeed brother and sister.



                   

               

Even in the thor movie they are brother and sister? Because If I remmeber I did not see any scenes were they talked to each other at all.
#28 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lonestar88: I think you see that as the only possible point the creators of the clip were making. I'm not so sure. Changing a characters race is always silly, no matter what their status or signifigance; that's my point.

#29 Edited by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Smiths said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Primmaster64 said:

@PowerHerc: I agree with everything you wrote sir ! Heimdall is Stif brother? O_O did not know that.

Yes; Heimdall and Sif are indeed brother and sister.

Even in the thor movie they are brother and sister? Because If I remmeber I did not see any scenes were they talked to each other at all.

Heimdall and Sif are brother and sister in Norse Mythology and in Marvel Comics, so it's natural to assume that they would be/are/should be in this movie since it's based on the Marvel comics and, by extension, the Norse Myths. Heimdall being portrayed by a black actor didn't make the movie bad but it didn't make it good, either. The fact is the character's race didn't have to be changed. Changing it added nothing to the movie's story or plot. It seems to be just more Hollywood tokenism and tinkering. It's silly and ridiculous, imo.

#30 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: I get you. I just think there are varying levels of silly.
#31 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lonestar88: That may be. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

#32 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:


                   

@Mr. Smiths said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Primmaster64 said:

@PowerHerc: I agree with everything you wrote sir ! Heimdall is Stif brother? O_O did not know that.

Yes; Heimdall and Sif are indeed brother and sister.

Even in the thor movie they are brother and sister? Because If I remmeber I did not see any scenes were they talked to each other at all.

Heimdall and Sif are brother and sister in Norse Mythology and in Marvel Comics, so it's natural to assume that they would be/are/should be in this movie since it's based on the Marvel comics and, by extension, the Norse Myths. Heimdall being portrayed by a black actor didn't make the movie bad but it didn't make it good, either. The fact is the character's race didn't have to be changed. Changing it added nothing to the movie's story or plot. It seems to be just more Hollywood tokenism and tinkering. It's silly and ridiculous, imo.



                   

               

I understand that. But since they are brother and sister, why didn't they have any brother/sister scenes in the film? Not even 1 scene they had were they talked to each other at all in the movie.
#33 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. You'd have to ask the screenwriters, the producers or the director.

Maybe they didn't want to call attention to the unlikeliehood of a Norse god brother and sister set being of two different races. It doesn't make sense to people who read the comics and or know the myths, so it stands to reason it wouldn't make sense to movie goers either. Maybe that's why they to exclude any mention of the Heimdall and Sif brother/sister relationship. Of course this is all speculation, I really have no idea what they were thinking.

#34 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:


                   

I don't know. You'd have to ask the screenwriters, the producers or the director.

Maybe they didn't want to call attention to the unlikeliehood of a Norse god brother and sister set being of two different races. It doesn't make sense to people who read the comics and or know the myths, so it stands to reason it wouldn't make sense to movie goers either. Maybe that's why they to exclude any mention of the Heimdall and Sif brother/sister relationship. Of course this is all speculation, I really have no idea what they were thinking.



                   

               
Well it is common to have a black brother and white sister. The parents can be 2 different races, 1 black and 1 white. Its not like its uncommon.
#35 Edited by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Smiths said:

@PowerHerc said:

I don't know. You'd have to ask the screenwriters, the producers or the director.

Maybe they didn't want to call attention to the unlikeliehood of a Norse god brother and sister set being of two different races. It doesn't make sense to people who read the comics and or know the myths, so it stands to reason it wouldn't make sense to movie goers either. Maybe that's why they to exclude any mention of the Heimdall and Sif brother/sister relationship. Of course this is all speculation, I really have no idea what they were thinking.

Well it is common to have a black brother and white sister. The parents can be 2 different races, 1 black and 1 white. Its not like its uncommon.

Though it's become more common in modern times, I wouldn't exactly say it's common.

What's true is that it's not common in Norse Mythology or Marvel's version of Norse Mythology.

Heimdall and Sif are both white characters. Their parents weren't of different races.

Hollywood probably changed Heimdall's race in an effort to appeal to black folk, but it was entirely unnecessary.

#36 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:


                   

@Mr. Smiths said:

@PowerHerc said:

I don't know. You'd have to ask the screenwriters, the producers or the director.

Maybe they didn't want to call attention to the unlikeliehood of a Norse god brother and sister set being of two different races. It doesn't make sense to people who read the comics and or know the myths, so it stands to reason it wouldn't make sense to movie goers either. Maybe that's why they to exclude any mention of the Heimdall and Sif brother/sister relationship. Of course this is all speculation, I really have no idea what they were thinking.

Well it is common to have a black brother and white sister. The parents can be 2 different races, 1 black and 1 white. Its not like its uncommon.

Though it's become more common in modern times, I wouldn't exactly say it's common.

What's true is that it's not common is Norse Mythology or Marvel's version of Norse Mythology.

Heimdall and Sif are both white characters. Their parents weren't of different races.

Hollywood probably changed Heimdall's race in an effort to appeal to black folk, but it was entirely unnecessary.



                   

               

I agree.
#37 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

damn, that was one of the FUNNIEST videos i've seen in a long time! XD 
...and yes, Luke Cage SHOULD be made into a movie! =) 
...with a BLACK actor, of course ;)

#38 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
writing my death threat now...
#39 Posted by Izaiah (5167 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Heimdall and Sif are brother and sister in Norse Mythology and in Marvel Comics...

Are they, though?  Pantheon.org and Wikipedia seem to not mention anything of the sort.
#40 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage is overrated and gets way too much attention in the comics.

#41 Posted by daredevil21134 (10934 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't find this funny at all

Online
#42 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

I don't find this funny at all

@Enzeru said:

Luke Cage is overrated and gets way too much attention in the comics.

He's underrated, I don't see how he's overrated when he hasn't even got his own movie yet.

#43 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jnr6Lil said:

@Enzeru said:
Luke Cage is overrated and gets way too much attention in the comics.

He's underrated, I don't see how he's overrated when he hasn't even got his own movie yet.

That's because he doesn't deserve one and no one would go and watch it.
#44 Posted by Dernman (14772 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how him not having a movie makes him not overrated.

Online
#45 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I don't see how him not having a movie makes him not overrated.

Because most of the characters that are overrated have their own movies.

@Enzeru said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Enzeru said:
Luke Cage is overrated and gets way too much attention in the comics.

He's underrated, I don't see how he's overrated when he hasn't even got his own movie yet.

That's because he doesn't deserve one and no one would go and watch it.

Don't see how he's overrated when he really broke the racial barrier in comics, Luke Cage isn't even that mainstream yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.