what does sweet christmas mean ?

Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

and why does luke cage say that ?

#1 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

It mean Sweet Christmas and Luke Cage says it because it's his catch phrase.

#2 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't that a lame catch phrase to have though? 

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've seen, he uses it as an expression when surprised or shocked.

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

The House of M Luke Cage explained that his mother hated swearing... so he would swear & cuss even more.  Then on her deathbed, he promised that he would never swear again.  Hence, 'Sweet Christmas' instead of F-ing or blinding. 

I can only presume that the same applies for the regular Earth-616 Luke Cage since the House of M was based off the mainstream heroes.
#5 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, i was just curious. 

#6 Posted by omdway (307 posts) - - Show Bio

it translates loosley to...                                      HOLY $H!T 
#7 Edited by cbishop (6936 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:

"The House of M Luke Cage explained that his mother hated swearing... so he would swear & cuss even more.  Then on her deathbed, he promised that he would never swear again.  Hence, 'Sweet Christmas' instead of F-ing or blinding.  I can only presume that the same applies for the regular Earth-616 Luke Cage since the House of M was based off the mainstream heroes. "

I didn't know someone had finally had the character explain that!  Awesome! 

@darkcloakx: Back in the day, it was just his pseudo-swear word, because comics didn't use regular swear words.  It's such tradition now though, I'm glad they've found an explanation for it. Now, he just needs to say it in a movie. lol 

@omdway:  I'd say it was probably meant to be more like "Sweet Jesus."
#8 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

"Sweet Jesus" would be my guess as well.

#9 Posted by Night Thrasher (3581 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a substitue for "Jesus Christ" b/c you couldn't put "Christ" in media. You could say "Sweet Christmas" but not "Jesus Christ"

#10 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

The TRUE story of the origin of "SWEET CHRISTMAS", as told by the late Dwayne McDuffie. He will be missed....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.