luke cage upgrade ??

• 59 results
Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke cage is one my favorite characters. should he get a power upgraded ? why isn't he a heavy hitter like the thing, hulk, colossus, juggernaut and so many others? its sad that his best friend ironfist can crack a hellicarrier in half due to his chi powers. luke can barely handled the juggernaut or black panther. he is not much of a tank character cause he's too weak among all the other marvel heroes. i think he should be as strong as 75 ton to a real badass hero like the A- list heroes tanks. what do u think ? why or not he should get a power up grade.

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does every one think there favourite characters should get power ups?

#2 Posted by _slim_ (13075 posts) - - Show Bio

He's good at his current power level.

#3 Edited by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01:

Luke Cage already gets star billing by leading the Avengers. I think he's already been pampered enough.

luke can barely handled the juggernaut

And that's a bad thing? Not many people can even lay a finger on the Juggernaut let alone "handle" him. Cage is more so renowned for his high durability (I'd say slightly higher than the Thing's), as opposed to his strength.

#4 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

but he can't even handle ironfist or bp?

#5 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs more character development than power up

#6 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

He needs more character development than power up

#7 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he needs to be more three dimensional and explains why he considers ironfist his bestfriend and why they team up.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
Why does every one think there favourite characters should get power ups?
This. So much this. 

@Mega_spidey01 said:

i think he needs to be more three dimensional and explains why he considers ironfist his bestfriend and why they team up.

So you haven't read any of his Heroes for Hire stuff?
#9 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

but he can't even handle ironfist or bp?

Iron Fist can one shot most people these days, and Black Panther...well his record speaks for itself.

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio

Cage doesn't need to be "stronger" he needs some different abilities and maybe one other powers.His powers are boring.You know how many people have super strength and durability? TONS!  

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@spiderbat87 said:
Why does every one think there favourite characters should get power ups?
This. So much this.

Because then they can say

"My favorite character can beat up your favorite character"

We're all so mature, you know.

#12 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Cage doesn't need to be "stronger" he needs some different abilities and maybe one other powers.His powers are boring.You know how many people have super strength and durability? TONS!

Yeah, for a person who once called himself Power Man, his powers sure are limited.

#13 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4728 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage is fine the way he is. He just needs a better fashion sense.

#14 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@_slim_ said:

#15 Edited by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

Give him some of the power cosmic.
BB

#16 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

it's all about the character, not the power.

#17 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs a jetpack, like Cyclops and Hope have. Jetpacks are what's cool right now in Marvel, things like zombies and what not are yesterdays news.

#18 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

is it because he's black? most black superheroes powers are lame from marvel and dc. the best black superhero with powers and character development is spawn. he is a better character than black panther will ever hope to be since his book is always getting canned.

#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:

is it because he's black? most black superheroes powers are lame from marvel and dc. the best black superhero with powers and character development is spawn. he is a better character than black panther will ever hope to be since his book is always getting canned.

He's probably not very popular because he's black but I don't know if that's the reason his powers are lame.I disagree with the idea that Marvel DC black heroes have lame powers and also the opinion of Cage being a better character than Black Panther.
#20 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne said:

@_slim_ said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@spiderbat87 said:
Why does every one think there favourite characters should get power ups?
This. So much this.
#21 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I like BP more.

#22 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Luke Cage, but I don't want him to be super powerful, part of why I like him is because he's almost always the underdog when he fights lol. He also will never back down even if he is out powered, that is one of his best qualities as a character and by pumping up his power levels would negate that really.

#23 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: eh He's to perfect to me.

#24 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Says the Superman fan.

#25 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: When I said perfect I wasn't referring to moral code. I don't see him as perfect. Superman is neither a genius, great strategist or the best fighter. Also his moral code often gets in his way.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@ReVamp: When I said perfect I wasn't referring to moral code. I don't see him as perfect. Superman is neither a genius, great strategist or the best fighter. Also his moral code often gets in his way.

Superman is the character which is the closest to perfection. I wasn't referring to his moral code either, Batman's is more rigid than his.

#27 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Dernman said:

Superman is the character which is the closest to perfection. I wasn't referring to his moral code either, Batman's is more rigid than his.

Physically and that only because he is an alien. There is just a lot of things he is not that great at. Where as BP is perfect at everything he does. Kinda like Batman.

Physically they made themselves perfect, both are great strategists, geniuses, great fighters. These are the guys you go to when you have an impossible problem that you need solving.

These are the type of guys Superman goes to when he needs help.

#28 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not being facetious or anything, but what makes Cage your favorite? He's so... generic.

#29 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Mega_spidey01 said:

He's probably not very popular because he's black but I don't know if that's the reason his powers are lame.I disagree with the idea that Marvel DC black heroes have lame powers and also the opinion of Cage being a better character than Black Panther.

Really? You think he's lame and unpopular because he's black?....I'm pretty sure it's because he's dull.

Also Spawn is awful. The main series has some of the worst writing of the past decade in it. It's completely disjointed. The book's storyline consists of a never ending cycle of deus ex machina countering previous deus ex machina. The only decent issues were the earlier ones done by guest writers. Also, Spawn recently went the way of Hal Jordan and turned into villainous mastermind "Omega Spawn." Did Image United even ever finish? Oh yeah, and the Spawn in the main series is white now.

Personally I think John Henry Irons, Bishop, Ultimate Fury, Black Racer (more of a concept than a character, but still awesome), T'Challa (how badass is that name?) and Mari Jiwi McCabe (just because she's a total fox in the latest pre-flashpoint volume of JLA) are all way better character than Spawn. Regardless of ethnicity those are all just good characters.

#30 Posted by windcaster (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that Luke Cage being super strong ,but not SUPER strong. I would like to see him maybe a little less than Frenzy's power level.

#31 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he has acceptable power what he really needs is a more recognizable outfit or at least a logo. How is his leadership?

#32 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

the thing about black panther is he too perfect and too hard to relate to and not anybody can be a black panther its a royalty thing.

#33 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:

the thing about black panther is he too perfect and too hard to relate to and not anybody can be a black panther its a royalty thing.

Or maybe it's the fact that he's a street leveler who is also the King of a Country.No other street levelers have to cover that much ground.Even Superman only protects Metropolis. 

@Onemoreposter said:

Really? You think he's lame and unpopular because he's black?....I'm pretty sure it's because he's dull.

Also Spawn is awful. The main series has some of the worst writing of the past decade in it. It's completely disjointed. The book's storyline consists of a never ending cycle of deus ex machina countering previous deus ex machina. The only decent issues were the earlier ones done by guest writers. Also, Spawn recently went the way of Hal Jordan and turned into villainous mastermind "Omega Spawn." Did Image United even ever finish? Oh yeah, and the Spawn in the main series is white now.

Personally I think John Henry Irons, Bishop, Ultimate Fury, Black Racer (more of a concept than a character, but still awesome), T'Challa (how badass is that name?) and Mari Jiwi McCabe (just because she's a total fox in the latest pre-flashpoint volume of JLA) are all way better character than Spawn. Regardless of ethnicity those are all just good characters.

I think Marvel used Captain America by connecting Cage to the SSS to try and sell him and it failed.I think alot of the problems with his development comes from the lack of commitment of Marvel executives to push him as much as he needs to be pushed to have comparable popularity and notoriety to other Avengers.

I don't really know what your point is about Spawn because I never read his comics and he's not one of my favorites but he does have one of the longest running comics of any black hero.He's also very versatile, he has alot of abilities and there's alot more for the writers to work with.Cage's powers are power that a great deal of characters in the Marvel Universe have. 

I'm black but I don't usually gravitate toward black characters when I choose my favorites because many of them are just corny.They have no style, they have no interesting abilities, not interests, they have no epic villains,no nothing.That's the responsibility of the companies and they aren't using their black characters are well as the should.I do have black favorites but Bishop,Blade,Ultimate Fury,Steel,and Black Racers aren't some of them.I think those characters are a joke.
#34 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@ vance astro your're probably right about bp he was awesome on the avengers episode season 2 and you're right about black super-heroes in general. vance astro who are some your favorite black superheroes? if u don't mind me asking.

mine's are black panther, luke cage, cloak, aqualad, vixen, storm, spawn (al simmons), and probably ultimate nick fury

#35 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I don't like Blade either. Black Racer= the shit though. Then again kirbys New Gods makes me hard. It's freakin awesome. My point about Spawn was that the comic sucks, but it was more of a reply to the other poster not you. Ever tried the Dakotaverse? Never read any of it myself but from I hear it's suppose to have some pretty epic black heroes.

#36 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: What about Black Lightening, Static, Storm,Icon, Steel, and War Machine, they're all black and have interesting power sets

#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mega_spidey01 said:

vance astro who are some your favorite black superheroes? if u don't mind me asking.

Blue Marvel,Cloak,War Machine,Storm, Vixen,Static,Night Thrasher,Rage,Black Panther,Doctor Voodoo,Monica Rambeau,Natasha Irons,Aqualad,Victor Alvarez,Wildstreak. 

@Onemoreposter said:

@Vance Astro: I don't like Blade either. Black Racer= the shit though. Then again kirbys New Gods makes me hard. It's freakin awesome. My point about Spawn was that the comic sucks, but it was more of a reply to the other poster not you. Ever tried the Dakotaverse? Never read any of it myself but from I hear it's suppose to have some pretty epic black heroes.

I don't know what Dakotaverse is but I do remember Milestones which was predominantly black heroes and the comics I read from it weren't very good.The story telling wasn't bad because they had some good writers over there but the characters designs where really corny.Alot of them were seemingly ripped off of already established characters accept they were black.
#38 Posted by daredevil21134 (11769 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

How about if you used gun,knives or something I don't know

#39 Posted by Onemoreposter (4047 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Dakotaverse=Milestone. Like I said, have never picked it up so I couldn't pass judgement. I just remember the general idea of Icon and Rocket interested me. Icon's a superman analogue, but these days every universe has one...or twelve.

#40 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter said:

@Vance Astro: Dakotaverse=Milestone. Like I said, have never picked it up so I couldn't pass judgement. I just remember the general idea of Icon and Rocket interested me. Icon's a superman analogue, but these days every universe has one...or twelve.

I feel like Blue Marvel out Icon's..Icon. 

@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

That would be weird.
#41 Posted by daredevil21134 (11769 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Onemoreposter said:

I feel like Blue Marvel out Icon's..Icon.

@daredevil21134 said:

@Vance Astro said:

That would be weird.

I guess so

#42 Posted by Blackreverend (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind him getting an upgrade too but not in strenght... I would have him encounter an alien race or be experimented on and come back with an ability like Psychometry, Retrocognition or Synaethesia. Something that would give him more dept as a character and change the way he views life and the world. But no he doesn't need to be a heavier hitter.

#43 Posted by Juggy313 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

He definitely needs an upgrade... Class 25 is laughable for a tank...He's not the greatest H2H fighter, he's not the smartest fighter, and he doesn't have any other powers... He will almost always lose to another tank... Class 25 just doesn't cut it for a tank... Everyone else over the years has gotten stronger.... He needs to join the club...

#44 Posted by Juggy313 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13:

Even if he gets bumped up to class 75, he will always be the underdog... That's about 15 ton weaker than The Thing, who is always the underdog... There is a difference of being the underdog and have a very slim chance to win, then being the underdog, and have have 0% chance to win...

#45 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

he needs to be more on hancock strength level to be considered a threat t o a major villians.

#46 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to make a Thread about this, but given my history of people always posting

"this has been made before"

I'd rather post it HERE

Luke Cage is AWEsome but

I want him to be Power Man again

or just have a suit and a NAME

This is Cool
But Honestly I rather see him in this or something similiar and be called POWER or something his nickname can be P I don't care.

I mean why can't he be like Wolverine have a Superhero Name but prefer to just fight in plain clothes from time to time.

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK?

(+)

#47 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage should be known as Power Man and he should be able to lift 75 tons.

#48 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: cool. but why powerman? he needs a strength upgrade25 ton is too low level to take on anybody that is a serious threat.

Yeah sure power upgrade him, whatever as long as he gets a SOLID name and Look I'll be happy, and I picked Power Man since he's used it before.

He can be named HOUSE, Headache, CAGE, Cormega, REKS, GOliath, and ETC

but I guess thats just me though

(+)

#49 Posted by voodoo1971 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Did he get his strength upgraded? how and when did that happen. How strong is he now. I would say to make him more interesting they can make more like a Shazam type character by adding the power ofr flight or link him to the weapon plus program. Make a storyline about it. Luke Cage is one of my favorite character but he's like a canvas that needs something more added to him.
#50 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Luke Cage should be known as Power Man and he should be able to lift 75 tons.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.