Luke Cage Gets His Own Mini-Series

Posted by inferiorego (20604 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.com announced that hero-for-hire Luke Cage will be featured in his own upcoming three issue mini-series entitled "New Avengers: Luke Cage."  The series, which will be out in April of this year, features John Arcudi (Aquaman, DOOM Patrol Vol. 3) and Eric Canete (Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin) providing the art. 

The story revolves around Cage heading to Northern Philadelphia after a friend of his from the old days gets laid up in the hospital.

"Really, we just want Luke to take a look at his roots; see where he used to be, see how far he's come," Arcudi explains. "Is it too far? I wouldn't say that, but I think after this Luke will more clearly see the value of a nuts-and-bolts approach to doing good. And I think he's happy to discover that he's still got enough street smarts to pull it off."

Cage will be facing off against Hammerhead in this story, who I guess hates Philadelphia. The one thing this book seems to be, which a lot of super-hero books aren't now-a-days is fighting crime on the streets. This doesn't seem to be the typical swoop down, punch the bad guy and leave, while saving the girl, book. Luke Cage will be in the thick of it and probably punching people's faces off. 

"You can't very well have Thor get down and dirty in the streets, right? And it's not just that Thor's too strong, but that kind of low-level involvement is not in his DNA," he states. "Readers wouldn't buy it, whereas Luke started in Harlem, started as a crook, then a local problem-solver. So on the one hand, you have the ever-present theme of redemption-and in this story's case, redeemer-in Luke's life, and on the other hand, you've got a bad-ass who's more than capable of playing hardball with the heavier hitters in the Marvel U. It makes him unique, and fun to write." 

A guy fighting crime on the streets that knows the streets as well.  As for the creative team, I was a huge fan of John Arcudi's Aquaman run, even though I like him as an artist just a tad better. I've never really gotten into Eric Canete's art. I've only seen it a few times, but from the look of this cover and the two sample pages, I'm pretty excited. It has a little bit of a Dark Horse Comics feel to it. We'll see in April when this book comes out, which I believe is right around the time ALL the Avengers books get canceled anyway.

What do you guys think? Good idea for a story? Ready for Luke to bust heads one thug at a time?
Staff Online
#1 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds good
i always thought he needed his own series
we never seen enough of him
normally cracks a stupid phrase and head banging time

#2 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage, really? I don't get the interest in him.

#3 Posted by uncanny89 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

i never really thought of Luke Cage in a solo book.  I might give this a look.
#4 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Cage he is one of my favorite characters, about third in my list including all comic companies. I some what inherited my passion for the character from my dad who read hero for hire the original comic featuring Luke Cage. Any time he gets his own story I'm happy.

#5 Edited by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I smell a best seller ~_~

#6 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

looks cool actually ..... im hoping for more with ronin and ares too
#7 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised Bendis isn't writing this

#8 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously? 

who will read it? Power-man and IronFist fans? mabye?
#9 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of the art.

#10 Posted by Galamoth (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Not interested. 

Still waiting on Tartakovsky's CAGE! Quesada claims he still plans on finishing it, he just stopped working on it so he could focus on the storyboards for Iron Man 2.

#11 Posted by cmaprice (788 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage is coming to my city? Hm...

Punisher did that for "Six Hours to Kill" and they made a big deal about it. Yet it all took place indoors or in nondescript streets with no indication it was in Philly.

#12 Posted by sora_thekey (8113 posts) - - Show Bio

This is so cool! 

I found myself liking Cage when he married Jessica Jones and had his baby... 

Nothing before that... so I hope Jessica will at least appear!
#13 Posted by dondasch (925 posts) - - Show Bio

Artwork is absolutely horrible.  Pass

#14 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19713 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested now, but I wonder if Eric Canete is really the best artist for Luke Cage or if John Arcudi is the best writer for this

#15 Posted by pentagram (312 posts) - - Show Bio

it just might be a best seller.

#16 Posted by -Eclipse- (7360 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" Seriously?  who will read it? Power-man and IronFist fans? mabye? "
Coming from an Iron Fist fan... Only if Danny at least gets a cameo :P
#17 Posted by cmaprice (788 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it me, or does that cover art make Cage look more like Hellboy than himself?

#18 Edited by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
that's cool. I love the artwork.
#19 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@dondasch said:
"Artwork is absolutely horrible.  Pass "

WTF? 
the artwork is the only good thing about it. 

and if your only reason for not reading a comic is the artwork, then you are not a true comic fan sir. 
-The reason I'm not reading it is, A: it's Luke Cage, B: it's Marvel. and both blow dogs for quarters.
#20 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" I'm surprised Bendis isn't writing this "
im glad he isnt. his Cage characterization sucks. 
this has an interesting creative team for the character. looks like it will be interesting.
i would have been more excited for a Luke Cage MAX mini though.
#21 Posted by War Killer (19524 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Luke Cage, but I hate the art, it just doesn't look great at all.

#22 Posted by -Eclipse- (7360 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmaprice said:
" Is it me, or does that cover art make Cage look more like Hellboy than himself? "
It's not just you. I think it's the huge arm that does it... 

I'm not that fond of this style of comic-art myself... I'm partial towards Chris Bachalo, but then I only like him on Spider-man, cause his art just seems to suit the character. This art, to me, does not suit Luke.
#23 Posted by Darkchild (40548 posts) - - Show Bio

Badass, been a long time since Cage has looked this cool. his MAX mini was just awesome cant wait for this

#24 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4365 posts) - - Show Bio

Giggety

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt this will be any good...Cage's last mini was complete trash.

#26 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: That is very true, you mean "Cage" right? Or do you mean Noir?
#27 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks Awesome,picking this up in the near futuer

#28 Posted by Argentino_18 (955 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah... 
I didnt knew who this guy was until I readed New avengers 
And Only with that I know he rocks!

#29 Posted by Mr. Hellfire (62 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the art. I like a little diversity with the art every now and then. I get tired of everyone trying to do realism.
#30 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio

i want old school Heroes for Hire back! they would be sweet, and there could be tons of cameos.

#31 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure in Arcudi. But looks, at least, promising

#32 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

i wanna read a luke cage mini, though i wish bendis was writing it. 
#33 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

ugly @$$ art but writing COULD emphasis on could be a good

#34 Posted by Brotha-Man (89 posts) - - Show Bio

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Maannn, I've been waiting to see Luke in a recent mainstream solo. Now I've GOT to figure out a way to get some money.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.