Could the Old Spice Guy Become Luke Cage?

• 96 results
Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio
This is the guy.

You’ve just headlined an ad campaign that’s certified hit, it’s got you nominated for an Emmy, and possible even a TV show deal… you’ve got all of that. What do you want next? To play Luke Cage, of course. You’ve probably seen that Old Spice commercial with the buff, smooth-talking guy breathlessly walking through one demonstration of absurd manliness after another. In my opinion, it was the undisputed leader of all the ads accompanying this year’s Super Bowl.   The actor at the center of that campaign is named Isaiah Mustafa and he recently revealed himself to be a “comic book junkie” during an interview on Attack of the Show. And (perhaps taking a page from Donald Glover and Megan Fox) he put his interest to play Luke Cage out there in the hopes of perhaps marshalling some interest from the fans and…

Well, that was fast.

According to Mustafa’s Twitter account, he’s heading to Marvel’s offices in New York for a “meet and greet.” He’s thanking his fans because, in his words, “the Marvel Universe heard you!” For teeny tiny things, Tweets pack some power. == TEASER ==

Considering that Marvel’s already getting to characters like Ant-Man and the Runaways, I suppose it’s only a matter of time before they finally make a LUKE CAGE movie happen.   It’s been languishing in development hell for at least seven years, now. John Singleton was attached to direct for a while and Jamie Foxx, Tyrese and LL Cool J’s names have all floated around to star as the sometimes-Power Man. Considering that most of the movie would likely be rooted closer to reality, I’d imagine it’d be one of the easier Marvel movies to execute.

I still need to see more work from the guy, before I can say anything. He’ll be starring in another comics-related movie FREE ENTERPRISE 2. What do you Comic Vine maniacs think? Maybe this AOTS clip of the interview (by way of Joblo) can give you a little more to talk about...  

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.      

#1 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

laaaaaaame
#2 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

THEY MADE A FREE ENTERPRISE 2!!!! I WANT TO GO TO THERE!

#3 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

He in my opinon needs to be a little bigger but he wouldnt be bad...
#4 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

the old spice guy can do anything!!!! hell dont make him settle for luke cage, let him be superman.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22682 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah I saw him on Attack of the Show last week talking about how badly he wants to be Luke Cage...the only thing I've seen him in is the Old Spice commercials which are awesomely cool by the way....I like it when companies get unknowns to play in movies rather than big name actors so I say they should give him a chance

#6 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, he's buff, but Luke is THICK 
it's an okay idea, but there's better choices
#7 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see 'em goin' for a guy like this.
He'll be cheaper than a big name after all.

#8 Posted by VIZION2011 (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

He's way to skiny to be luke cake, luke is taller and buffer

#9 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

it would be realy, REALLY funny watch him playing badass-and-all-that Cage

#10 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he did say he wanted to be Cage in that AOTS interview. And Alison Haslip is hot.

#11 Posted by Solitaire (45 posts) - - Show Bio

No no no! First off the Old Spice commercials with Terry Crews are WAY better, secondly Terry Crews would make a MUCH better Luke Cage IMO. He's sure as hell built for the part, not to mention he's played a hard-hitting Badass before, and looks to be doing so again in 
"The Expendables". 

I can forgive the fact that Don Cheadle isn't built like Rhodey is in the comics because he's such a damn good actor, and when he's in the suit his phjysical characteristics don;t matter all that much. Bus Luke Cage's entire persona is based off of his incredible physique, and while this guy is ripped, Luke Cage is BUILT! On the official Marvel bio he's listed as being 6' 6" and weighing in at 425lbs. "nuff said.

#12 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9246 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love him to be luke cage 

#13 Edited by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio
He can charm Marvel into playing Luke Cage lol. I mean do you see that ascot he has on and that swan dive? 

@Solitaire: I agree that Terry Crews could play the role of Luke Cage. He could probably say "Sweet Christmas" without sounding corny.
#14 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio

Tyrese is Luke Cage 

exits thread.

#15 Posted by NightFang (10197 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a funny guy, so why not?

#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

not bad

#17 Edited by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see the Falcon, but not Luke Cage. Tyrese Gibson still seems like the ideal choice, and come on the one thing Mustafa can't do yet is fly, yet.

#18 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! 

I love that guy!
#19 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I want to see Terry Crews say "Sweet Christmas"

#20 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

i like him hes sexy..he should be luke cage

#21 Posted by frogger (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap!: He in my opinon needs to be a little bigger but he wouldnt be bad...  

That was my first thought but I sure he can buff up for the role.
#22 Edited by Captain13 (3511 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel, please let him audition for Luke Cage. He was in the NFL for God's sake.

-C13

#23 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

look up now look back at your computer screen, sadly nothing has changed

#24 Posted by A-Strondinaire (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to see him act first. what is it with pop cultures need to glorify everything yes it's a pretty funny commercial but come on it's just like saying the pine-sol headliner should play Amanda Waller in the next Superman movie

Now that's the power of New S.T.A.R. Labs Pine-Sol

And will people stop trying to sell off every black person who wants to play a superhero on Falcon jeez that character is not a credit to our race he's a token.

#25 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on OTT Blaxploitation film!

#26 Posted by Captain13 (3511 posts) - - Show Bio
@A-Strondinaire said:
"

And will people stop trying to sell off every black person who wants to play a superhero on Falcon jeez that character is not a credit to our race he's a token.

"
AMEN.
#27 Posted by Shanana (53335 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

#28 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

These are the best choices for Luke Cage.  Michael Jai White, Lynn "Red" Williams, or Tyrese Gibson.

#29 Posted by luckynitro007 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

i think they should go ahead and let him be Luke Cage. Cant be as bad as Ben Afflack as Daredevil.
#30 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

NAY!.......i say,

#31 Posted by SnottyCane (63 posts) - - Show Bio

nooooooooooo!!!! you need that dude who played black dynomite !!!!!!!
#32 Edited by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, if he wants to try, I say give him a try. In truth from just that commercial and from AOTS, I'd say he seems like a young Luke Cage, if he can get to the gym and get a little more muscle, I'd say this is exactly what Marvel needs for those 10min movies they want to put out.

Oh and that Old Spice commercial was pretty awesome actually, lol xD

#33 Edited by ManuelPrez (131 posts) - - Show Bio

he and MJW are my only option on Luke Cage 

but   Isaiah Mustafa can work out and look big 

Isaiah Mustafa and    Ryan Penagos in Marvel 
#34 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
"These are the best choices for Luke Cage.  Michael Jai White, Lynn "Red" Williams, or Tyrese Gibson.

"

the nail - you hit it on the head
#35 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOO!!  I wanted Michael Jai White to be Luke Cage and Tony Jaa or Kato in Green Hornet to be IronFist
#36 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe 

#37 Posted by Thunderscream (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

so that's all it takes? 1 commercial and you're a super-star celebrity making power-plays to win roles in blockbuster movies?

#38 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

no tyrese gibson he can't act. michael jai white would be better. just a get a really good actor who can act and play the role well. black superheroes on the big screen don't get represented in movie right. hancock was horrible  don't let will smith going anywhere near a marvel or DC .  yes, falcon is a token black character idon't care if they kill him he's useless.

#39 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why he couldn't pull it off. Yes he is a little smaller now but he could probably buff up. He could definitely handle the cockiness of Luke Cage. 

#40 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@daak1212:
but Iron Fist is supposed to be white 
that's sort of his thing- the western business man who inherited the powers and learned the skills of the eastern world
#41 Posted by A-Strondinaire (370 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thunderscream:
my sentiments exactly if people keep on praising certain people for unproven talents will get more Paris Hiltons, Kardashians, Brody Jenners, and ugh Spencers
#42 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@VIZION2010 said:
" He's way to skiny to be luke cake, luke is taller and buffer "
he's tall enough, and for all we know, he could become bigger.
#43 Posted by AmazingSpiderMike (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at your man, now look at me, now look back your man, now look at LUKE CAGE!!!

#44 Posted by Rosebunse (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's give the guy a chance. He could be good as a younger Cage, and I don't think it would be too much for him to get a little more fit. Remember, in a movie, a too muscular looking character is just going to look stupid. My bigger concern is the movie itself. Luke Cage is not a good character to have all by himself. He's good in the Avengers, or with Heroes for Hire, but not by himself. Well, at least not as a straight Luke Cage. They may have to redo somethings,but I won't mind as long as it's still Luke Cage and good. 
#45 Posted by spystreak (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

give him some steroids and set him loose in a gym for forty eight hours then we'll see
#46 Posted by nutzac4888 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

The Man!

#47 Posted by AirDave817 (824 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say he needs to bulk up a little more...is he going to be the '70's yellow shirt, headband Luke Cage?

#48 Posted by Thor'sHammer (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Crews or don't even do the movie at all!  Just check out his old spice commercials on youtube.  They are hilarious.   PPPPPPPPPOOOOOOWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

#49 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

#50 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather see Tyrese play Luke Cage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.