Could Idris Elba Play Luke Cage?

• 82 results
Posted by inferiorego (20588 posts) - - Show Bio

Although the name Idris Elba may not be incredibly recognizable, he's done some phenomenal work in film and television that many people recognize and appreciate: The Office (as Charles Miner), The Losers (Roque), 28 Weeks Later (Stone), and the upcoming Thor film as the character Heimdall. The actor sure is being appreciated by Marvel though, as he seemingly has signed a picture deal with the company. Total Film recently reported on an interview with Idris about it. 

Elba spoke with Total Film about his upcoming role as Heimdall in the Thor flick, but he also let them know that this isn't the last time we'll see Idris Elba in a Marvel film:

"I have a picture deal with them (Marvel). I can't tell you much about that, but I can tell you I'll be back."  We all know that Samuel Jackson has a 9-picture deal with Marvel as Nick Fury. Will Elba return as Heimdall in another Marvel film? It's possible, but that all depends on his role in the upcoming Thor film, which the audience won't get to see until next year. Who would Elba like to play?

"'I wouldn't mind having a crack at bringing Blade back, personally' He says with a wry smile, echoed with a laugh from his manager... 'But erm, there's a couple of things there that they have... Luke Cage is... very interesting.'" Although Blade has been done three times already, the series could always make a triumphant return to the screen. As for Luke Cage, this is a character fans have been patiently waiting for, and Idris Elba may be the man for the job. What do you guys think? Could he pull off Luke Cage? Or will he be returning as Heimdall? Who else could he be playing?

Thanks to ckal for the heads up!
Staff
#1 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so. He's a good actor, but they're too different.

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him as Blade

#3 Edited by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he is a good choice, but I dont want to see him play more then two marvel characters in the same universe. It's ok for Chris evens because they are different studios plus the reboot is coming out plus marvel has stated If there properties are coming out by other studio's they ignore them and pretend they didnt happen. So I'm cool with that, but not cool with having the same actor play different roles in the same movie universe.

#4 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a great actor, but he will have to be completely ripped to pull it off.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12278 posts) - - Show Bio

Micheal Jai White......he's a big brotha....just like Luke
#6 Posted by f0rk (6 posts) - - Show Bio

"  Although the name Idris Elba may not be incredibly recognizable, he's done some phenomenal work in film and television that many people recognize and appreciate: The Office (as Charles Miner), The Losers (Roque), 28 Weeks Later (Stone), and the upcoming Thor film as the character Heimdall." 

Not even sure how it's physically possible to mention his past work and miss out the wire. Really. 

#7 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@f0rk: 

Don't hate the player, you guys! Hate the game!
#8 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Crews should be Cage... Just sayin  

#9 Edited by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

Idris is great and I'm sure he will be awesome as Heimdall. I'm glad we will see him in multiple films.

But sorry, the role of Luke Cage belongs to TERRY CREWS.

Also, I seriously doubt Marvel would cast the same actor to play two different characters in a Marvel Studios production.

#10 Posted by biggkeem89 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Elba could play Blade, Falcon, or even Black Panther, but not Luke Cage. Idris Elba is an excellent actor, but not right for Cage. For me, either Tyrese Gibson or Michael Jai White should play Cage(pulling for White on this one. It would be a more modern and serious Black Dynamite). But it might be weird if Elba is both Heimdall in Thor. and another Marvel Character.

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
"Terry Crews should be Cage... Just sayin  

"
#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11733 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kid_Zombie:

agreed
#13 Posted by King Saturn (222811 posts) - - Show Bio
Terry Crews as Luke Cage looks more right... but Idris Elba is a better actor... Idris doesnt really strike me as someone who would play Luke Cage though... though he doesnt strike me as someone who would play Heimdall either... :P
#14 Posted by ComicMan24 (147021 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" Terry Crews as Luke Cage looks more right... but Idris Elba is a better actor... Idris doesnt really strike me as someone who would play Luke Cage though... though he doesnt strike me as someone who would play Heimdall either... :P "
True.
#15 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey would be a great choixe alot better than Tyrese Gibson. 

Though , Terry Crews might be a better choice.
#16 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89: Yeah, Black Panther, he'd probably be perfect for that.
#17 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" Terry Crews should be Cage... Just sayin  

"
That's a better match.
#18 Posted by inferiorego (20588 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to give someone positive credit for a show you've never seen.

Staff
#19 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @Gambit1024 said:

"
That's a better match. "
Terry Crews has done too much comedy to be taken serious.I can't take him seriously in anything.He has a serious role in Street Kings,he was still that dad from "Everybody Hates Chris" to me.
#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: Well it's not like Cage is all serious in the comics (except maybe in the Thunderbolts), but I really think Crews could pull him off. 
#21 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

" @Vance Astro: Well it's not like Cage is all serious in the comics (except maybe in the Thunderbolts), but I really think Crews could pull him off.  "

In what comic isn't he serious because everything i've read with him in it he was very serious? I've seen him make jokes from time to time but he's a badass for the most part.
#22 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Gambit1024 said:

" @Vance Astro: Well it's not like Cage is all serious in the comics (except maybe in the Thunderbolts), but I really think Crews could pull him off.  "

In what comic isn't he serious because everything i've read with him in it he was very serious? I've seen him make jokes from time to time but he's a badass for the most part. "
Really? Everything that Bendis writes with him has him as a bit of a joker. The only time I've ever really seen him pissed or serious was during Secret Invasion. After that he was all chill. 
#23 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" It's hard to give someone positive credit for a show you've never seen. "
Don't worry about it, I've seen the show and I forgot. You should watch it, though, it's pretty good. Not as good as every TV critic says it is, but still pretty good.
#24 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
Really? Everything that Bendis writes with him has him as a bit of a joker. The only time I've ever really seen him pissed or serious was during Secret Invasion. After that he was all chill.  "
I've seen him slip a joke in here and there but not very heavily.He's been plenty pissed since after Secret invasion.He was plenty pissed in Dark Reign & Siege.
#25 Posted by Joe_E_Nigma (43 posts) - - Show Bio

has anyone here seen Obsessed? Idris was ripped in that. 

#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Gambit1024 said:
Really? Everything that Bendis writes with him has him as a bit of a joker. The only time I've ever really seen him pissed or serious was during Secret Invasion. After that he was all chill.  "
I've seen him slip a joke in here and there but not very heavily.He's been plenty pissed since after Secret invasion.He was plenty pissed in Dark Reign & Siege. "
Oh yeah I forgot about Dark Rein... It really depends on the tone they want with the movie, eh?
#27 Posted by buttersdaman000 (8797 posts) - - Show Bio

MICHEAL JAI WHITE 

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joe E. Nigma said:
" has anyone here seen Obsessed? Idris was ripped in that.  "
idris is ripped period.He doesn't really come off as Cage though.He doesn't seem like the short tempered type.
#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@buttersdaman000 said:
" MICHEAL JAI WHITE 

"
Idk what it is about him but I just don't see him as Cage... His face doesn't look at all threatening...  

He could definitely pull off Falcon though
#30 Posted by inferiorego (20588 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @inferiorego said:
" It's hard to give someone positive credit for a show you've never seen. "
Don't worry about it, I've seen the show and I forgot. You should watch it, though, it's pretty good. Not as good as every TV critic says it is, but still pretty good. "
One of these days I plan to. Thanks for being polite!
Staff
#31 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
Idk what it is about him but I just don't see him as Cage... His face doesn't look at all threatening...   He could definitely pull off Falcon though "
Good call!
#32 Posted by Rheged (619 posts) - - Show Bio

From those few frames I saw of him in the Thor trailer, Idris is hardly recognizable.  He's a great actor, I think he could pull off any of those characters he mentioned... though Terry Crews is pretty darn intimidating.  O_O

#33 Posted by Joe_E_Nigma (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Old Spice Guy (not Terry Crews, the one that tells you to look up and down) mentioned that he wanted to play Luke Cage and i think he looks perfect for it. 

#34 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joe E. Nigma said:
" Old Spice Guy (not Terry Crews, the one that tells you to look up and down) mentioned that he wanted to play Luke Cage and i think he looks perfect for it.  "
Isiah Mustafa 

#35 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

he's already heimdal
#36 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024:
That would be interesting and cool
#37 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham:
Now HE looks like he could be Luke Cage! 

Why oh why are the studios recycling the same actor for different roles?  Aaarrrggghhhhh......
#38 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19712 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

"
This 
#39 Posted by War Killer (19490 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" @Gambit1024 said:

"
This  "
I agree with this 100%
#40 Posted by ateygheyev (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I was gonna put up some more pics of Terry Crews but then I felt kinda weird downloading images of a topless swoll guy.

Still.  He has my vote as Luke Cage.

#41 Posted by DarkSyde79 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to well concerning actors and comic book characters. I’ve been a fan since HBO’s The Wire, so I wouldn’t be against it but would luv to see a fresher face (comics wise) take on the role of Luke Cage. With all of that said, seeing any face at this point would be better… as long as Marvel is making this film and not FOX!!! :os 

#42 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the Old Spice guy!

#43 Posted by daak1212 (7852 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Crews as Cage 
Wesley Snipes again as Blade 
Michael Jai White as Black Panther
#44 Posted by Kreature (184 posts) - - Show Bio

#45 Posted by Jayso4201 (551 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but I hate it that they do those things, Chris Evans is Johnny Storm & Cap, guess we'll never see both characters in a movie, I just don't like if your gonna cast someone for a roll stick with it.  If this fella is gonna play, Hemdal then he just needs to be Hemdal not Hemdal, Luke  
Cage, Blade, Falcon, and whatever other else they dream up for him, its rediculous!

#46 Posted by Augustus Freeman VI (213 posts) - - Show Bio

idris elba for black panther 
terry crews luke cage
michael jai white falcon bronze tiger or josiah x

#47 Posted by MikeDanger (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Terry Crews is soooooooo him man. I don't think anyone else could a character more than Terry does Luke.

#48 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

"

You know I was gonna say Dwayne Johnson for Luke Cage but now that I remembered about Terry HE IS THE BEST CHOICE :D
#49 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

#50 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.