The Ray Who's Picking It Up?

#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio

So I read the four page preview and it seems pretty interesting.

#2 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

The preview, it is interesting, however my wallet, it is empty

also, his costume, it sucks

#3 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

I like it, it suits his power set also he seems like  he has a Dick Grayson kind of personalty which is cool
#4 Posted by Adnan (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

It looks better inside, if the preview is anything to go by, imo.

Sadly, I don't have enough money. It looks good though.

#5 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: @Adnan:

I don't really dislike the suit it just feels generic compared to the last Rays suit which Is one of my favorite costumes. But Adnan he isn't wearing it on the inside his clothes burned off and he's just nude....he's glowing but they even take measures to avoid showing certain areas and he said he probably scarred his friend for life (they use his friends head to block out certain areas). However he seems like an interesting character with a generic costume and if i have an extra 2.99 a month i'll pick it up

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Adnan said:

@BlackArmor said:

It looks better inside, if the preview is anything to go by, imo.

Sadly, I don't have enough money. It looks good though.

Since I ignore a lot of Marvel these days I have plenty of room to fill with new books
#7 Posted by Grim (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

I don't really dislike the suit it just feels generic compared to the last Rays suit which Is one of my favorite costumes.

right? this was a change for change's sake. if he had a look like this before, they would have changed it to his old one.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:

@BlackArmor said:

I don't really dislike the suit it just feels generic compared to the last Rays suit which Is one of my favorite costumes.

right? this was a change for change's sake. if he had a look like this before, they would have changed it to his old one.

Not really the costume your talking about is really out dated also that was a different guy altogether, this new guys costume is based off of this guy Stan Silver
#9 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's the preview? Anyone got a link? I'm seriously considering picking this up.

#10 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim said:

@BlackArmor said:

Yeah, I think their reasoning was that the Ray was to obscure for non comic fans but if so why not just start over the last Ray or dumb down his history and put him in a team book (a slightly de-aged Ray would have been awesome in Teen Titans imo, I'll take Ray over Solstice any day ) I don't even really have a problem with the new guy but he just seems so much less original and that's saying something when the guy your replacing is a legacy character

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:
Where's the preview? Anyone got a link? I'm seriously considering picking this up.
What you think?
#13 Posted by Adnan (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor:I meant the costume looks better inside the comic as opposed to how it looks on the cover. I worded that pretty vaguely and strangely, sorry bout that lol.

And the older Ray might be in the JSA title set in Earth-2 that's coming out some time soon.

#14 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@RainEffect said:
What you think?
I like the idea that he's a Korean American. Lucien Gates isn't a half bad name either, but the narrative seems pretty ... bleh. I'll wait and see.
#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@RainEffect said:
What you think?
I like the idea that he's a Korean American. Lucien Gates isn't a half bad name either, but the narrative seems pretty ... bleh. I'll wait and see.
Well I'm going to pick it up on Wednesday so I'll let you know if it's any good
#16 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@RainEffect said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@RainEffect said:
What you think?
Well I'm going to pick it up on Wednesday so I'll let you know if it's any good
Cheers man.
#17 Posted by chalkshark (1195 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm undecided. The thing about the Ray that bothers me... & I could say this about a number of DC's characters... is that DC introduced the character in 1973, as a member of The Freedom Fighters, then largely let him lay fallow for the next 13 years. In that introductory story, the Ray has to fight for story pages, as the Justice League of America, The Justice Society of America, & his fellow Freedom Fighters are all also featured. Still, he managed to stand out. He had a unique power set among DC's character's at that time, & what I thought was a pretty cool costume, that was also unique among his costumed peers. Then, three years passed. In 1976, The Ray returned from comic book limbo again. He still couldn't shake his fellow Freedom Fighters, but at least he only had to compete with 5 other characters for "screen time", as opposed to 12. Freedom Fighters made it for two years before the axe dropped, but it was sold bi-monthly, so it only generated 15 issues. The very next month, The Ray showed up with his own solo story, at last, as the second feature in Black Lightning. Unfortunately, that was also the last issue of Black Lightning. Then, five years passed. The Ray does a guest spot, stuck with the Freedom Fighters again, in DC Comics Presents.  A year passes. The Ray is featured in the pages of the All Star Squadron, that details how the Freedom Fighters first came together. Two years pass. The Ray shows up in several panels of the 12 part Crisis on infinite Earths. 
                       Post Crisis, there's a new Ray in town, the heretofore unheard of son of the original. It took 8 years, but that  Ray got his own series, with a mini-series that preceded it by a couple of years. That Ray joined the Justice League America. That Ray was a character that we actually got to know. Nothing really wrong with that, but there was still that other Ray. The first one. The one DC never really bothered doing anything with. A character with tremendous potential that was never touched. Seems a waste, & I don't appreciate waste. It's one thing if you make a fair try at introducing a character & you run it into the ground a couple of times because you just can't figure out a way to make it work.  To just keep "re-inventing" the character, though, having done nothing with the first, just seems disrespectful. To the character, & the characters creators. It's the equivalent of stealing someone else's idea. 
                         I realize that the point of DC's current initiative is that "everything is all brand new".  DC doesn't need a new Ray, though. The original was still available, with next to no back story to contradict. The original Ray's foundation was pretty clean, & could have easily been launched into the "new" 52, as a "new" character, fighting new villains, with a new supporting cast, protecting a new city. To new readers, the character would have still come across as new. Instead, DC offers up a fourth man underneath the mask of The Ray. I don't know if I really want to meet this new Ray, while I'm still waiting to get to know the first one.

#18 Posted by Grim (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Grim said:

@BlackArmor said:

Not really the costume your talking about is really out dated also that was a different guy altogether, this new guys costume is based off of this guy Stan Silver

i though the second and third ray were the same person, but both of those costumes are cooler and hipper than this one (just shorten that collar a bit)

@BlackArmor said:

Yeah, I think their reasoning was that the Ray was to obscure for non comic fans but if so why not just start over the last Ray or dumb down his history and put him in a team book (a slightly de-aged Ray would have been awesome in Teen Titans imo, I'll take Ray over Solstice any day ) I don't even really have a problem with the new guy but he just seems so much less original and that's saying something when the guy your replacing is a legacy character

A young Ray was in YOUNG JUSTICE PROPER, but it seems like DC is actively trying to make even the best things new and different even if it was awesome before.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@chalkshark: I presume DC seen an opportunity to make a more diverse hero in making a new one who is Korean 
#20 Posted by chalkshark (1195 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: DC has tried to switch the ethnicities of it's character before, & it almost never sticks. The original returns to prominence, & the new version either dies or fades into obscurity. This happened with the Cassandra Cain version of Batgirl ( who actually had a large fan base) & the Ryan Choi version of the Atom. The John Stewart Green Lantern has managed to maintain a continuing presence in the DC universe, but it's primarily been as part of a larger organization, such as the Justice League or the Green Lantern Corps. Hal Jordan is still the star of the Green Lantern title. The jury is still out on the new Blue Beetle. He's on his second ongoing series, & DC seems invested in making the character a success. It certainly helps that his predecessor took a bullet to the brain, so they can't go back to him. 

I fail to understand why DC.. or Marvel.. or anyone... can't just create a brand new character, who happens to have an ethnic background. That way, there is no character to go back to. You have to move forward. There also won't be some disgruntled fan base that's pissed off that their favorite character was replaced. I doubt there's more than 5 people reading comics today that give a damn about the original Ray, but I suspect that the second Ray was popular enough to have generated a small fan base. Why not just avoid all that baggage? Why not make some brand new characters to go along with your brand "new" 52 initiative? Seems like a great place to introduce some new brand names. Are they so creatively bankrupt that they just don't know how to conceive of a totally original character anymore? Can they only recycle that which has gone before? No wonder the industry is dying. New idea is what provides fuel for the future. Forgive my rant. 

The Ray may end up being a really great book. The odds aren't great, considering the mediocrity of most of DC's "new" 52 titles, but hey, the sun's got to shine on a baboon's ass every now & again. Maybe it will for the Ray. I hope it does. I'd like to read a few more decent comic books. I just wish, for reasons stated above, that it was the original Ray who was getting a real chance at success, instead of that concept retooled for a third time.
#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@chalkshark: Your views differ greatly to mine 
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio

bumping this to see if anybody else is reading it

#23 Posted by Adnan (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

I ended up buying it in the end. It's a fun little title with great art, I'll be sad to see it go later this month. I hope the villain sticks around in the DCU.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@Adnan said:
I ended up buying it in the end. It's a fun little title with great art, I'll be sad to see it go later this month. I hope the villain sticks around in the DCU.
Yea I know, wish he would get an ongoing but I can't see it happening TBH
#25 Posted by SoA (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

its a fun story and its only a mini so four issues is not gonna kill anyone , i like the story

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35174 posts) - - Show Bio
@SoA said:

its a fun story and its only a mini so four issues is not gonna kill anyone , i like the story

he's a fun character, reminds me of Dick Grayson a little 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.