Follow

Long Beach Comic Con 2010

Concept » Long Beach Comic Con 2010 appears in 8 issues.

Long Beach Comic Con 2010: October 29 - 31, 2010 - Long Beach Convention Center

Pinchuk's Long Beach Comic Con Adventure

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
          The official/unofficial meet & greet.
      The official/unofficial meet & greet.

And thus my 2010 convention tour concludes. There was a time, not too long ago, where I could only look forward to going to one con a year, so I feel very lucky to not only have gone to five this year, but to have also had good reasons to be at all of them. From Wondercon to C2E2 and from SDCC to NYCC, it’s been a wild ride, and I couldn’t think of a better place to wrap it up than at the Long Beach Comic Con.  All you maniacs will, of course, remember that I had my fateful "island encounter" with Comic Vine at last year's LBCC and, thus, the show will always be special to me. 

Part of the appeal of going to a smaller convention like this is the chance to have more access to people you're fan of. Tony, Joey, Sora and I were actually all pleasantly surprised (and even a little startled sometimes) to be on the other end of that equation, as a good number of attendees recognized us from the site (one even knew Sora from his YouTube channel!) Between that and the official/unofficial meet and greet, I need to give proper shout-outs to Grim, DCGal, KitschyLove Nuggets and SDaoudi. If I met you, but didn't catch your screenname, please let me know in the talk back so you can be properly recognized!  

At the Hero Initiative Party with Tony and Joey.
     At the Hero Initiative Party with Tony and Joey.

Like I always say, interacting with fans and users is what's really fun about attending shows like this and I got a special enjoyment out of getting to do another trivia challenge on the floor. This time, no less than Kick-Ass and a Ghostbuster participated, and we even had some players try phoning in a friend for help. == TEASER ==

While I didn't do any signings at the show, I still had plenty to keep me busy. I got the excellent opportunity to MC LBCC's opening ceremonies and introduce Tim Bradstreet, J. Scott Campbell and an odd group of Batgirl, Chun-Li, Supergirl, a Stormtrooper and the Hulk to the media. I had the great honor to participate in a panel on writing for comics with industry heavy weights Marv Wolfman, Jimmy Palmiotti and Barbara Randall-Kesel. Having been a fan of their work since I first got into comics, I really can't express how surreal it was to be sitting with them.  I also had the dubious distinction of winning the Indy Comics STREET FIGHTER IV tournament that Video Game Saturday put on - - something those piles and piles of quarter used in my misspent youth can account for.  

There are videos of all of these that'll be going up eventually. In the mean time, you can enjoy these pics...

And, of course, there was the cosplay. I didn't get to take too many pictures of the attendees, but I'll tell you that it was definitely (pun intended) treat to see them all on the convention floor and at the Hero Initiative costume party...   

LBCC's already got plans to come back next year, and there's also going to be a one-day expo next spring. Even though I'm looking forward to getting some rest after this long convention tour, I'm definitely looking forward to attending those events too. Two-for-two, LBCC has been uniquely incredible experience for me. 

UPDATE == And here's the video of the opening ceremonies that Sora's generously provided....    

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of   HYBRID BASTARDS! &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon here   &   here .
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By The Sadhu

Cool!
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ReverseNegative

Who's the guy on the left of Captain America? He looks familiar...

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By difficlus

Hope you enjoyed it!

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By No_name_here
    @ReverseNegative: Is that you?
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_name_here
    @difficlus: I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

A "little" startled?...  
    It seemed that the Con picked up the next day. I really am sad I wasn't able to be there!
    Still that one day was enough to get me satisfied with the end of conventions of 2010... Now it's time to get ready for next year. 

@Tom Pinchuk: How was the Hero Initiative Party?

I'll try to get some videos up tomorrow!

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By SevanGrim
    @sora_thekey said:

It seemed that the Con picked up the next day. I really am sad I wasn't able to be there!

It did. i was actually kinda pissed that they crammed all the best stuff into Saturday, instead of spreading it out to give more incentive to come all 3 days. I could tell the difference in people the second i walked in saturday.
    during the Iron Man anime, all i ket thinking was "Sora should be here for this".
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Grim: You are totally making me feel even worse about not going!
    So... am I going to enjoy the anime?
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SevanGrim
    @sora_thekey: idk. i was starting to fall asleep during it, but i thiink that was cuz it was hard to read the subs around peoples heads. 
     i was telling Tom that the premis seemed kinda forced.

I might enjoy it a bit more with english dubbing.. but i doubt it.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Grim: Hmmm... Interesting! I really didn't expect that as the premise... Well once it's out on G4 I'll definitely give a try.
    It's only going to be 16 episodes anyway... So it's not too long either way!
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By danhimself

ummmm is that the guy from Lost next to Sora??

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SevanGrim
    @sora_thekey: that was the first episode anyway. He was also in Japan to set up some environmentally friendly tech, so the rest of the series may just be about defending his stuff out there. Im not too big on Anime unless its overly action packed and goofy (Desert Punk and Lupin) so maybe im the wrong person to ask about this...

Kitschy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kitschy

Absolutely have to take a moment to thank Tom for being so chill during our encounter just as he was prepping for his big opening ceremony speech.  Not just chatting, but snapping a pic and actually remembering my name.  That's crazy hype.  I rarely get star struck (being a journo for the game industry and meeting creative types all the time) but Tom is seriously on a whole other echelon.  He's the sexiest cat in comics right now!  And somehow Sora was on point the entire time, not phased by any of the surrounding madness.

LBCC 2010 is the best con I've been to in years.  Reminds of the good old days when attendees could get some time to chat with the brilliant minds behind the comic book industry and thank them for their creative genius.  I'm already planning and anticipating next year's LBCC!!

Lovenuggets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Lovenuggets
    As a Local to Long Beach, I Love this its just not because its "Local" you know....lets just say I talked and meet new friends at this comic con then I ever with any other Con...and boy did I TALKED I talked to Tom while I was volunteering for the DC panel about  zombie genre, Marvel, DC and a long talk about ANIME lolololol....the focus point for the Long beach Comic con was the Artist Alley, I'm not sure if anyone check around the city but...Long Beach is an Artistic Community I mean...EPICALLY artistic. I also asked this Question while working with people and greeting people and here is what I asked "How do you guys Like LBCC so far"  and the answer I get consistently "I love Long Beach Comic Con because it focus's more on the Comics,Cartoons, and art then the mass Media" I don't like comparing Cons or anything but if you look at it....I believe thats what Long beach is obviously going for, I mean yea down the line we're going to get More into things outside the comic book industry like Movies and tv....But I know they want to keep it comic book based.  my 2nd focus point I noticed was the Children this year...It warmed my heart to see all these little ones having such a grand time with awesome costumes! Like little Deadpool boy and little Dark Phoenix girl and little star wars troopers running around...thats whats a Comic book convention is all about!
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Eyz

Looks like a blast^^

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By No_name_here
    @sora_thekey said:
    " A "little" startled?...  
    Still that one day was enough to get me satisfied with the end of conventions of 2010... Now it's time to get ready for next year. 

@Tom Pinchuk: How was the Hero Initiative Party?   I'll try to get some videos up tomorrow! "
     It definitely picked up on Saturday, and Sunday had a lot of kids because of Halloween. 

The party was fun. I was sort-of one of the judges for the costume contest. I ended up playing pool with Tony, Joey and some of the cats from Top Cow and Geek Week.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No_name_here
    @Grim said:
    " @sora_thekey said:

It did. i was actually kinda pissed that they crammed all the best stuff into Saturday, instead of spreading it out to give more incentive to come all 3 days. I could tell the difference in people the second i walked in saturday.during the Iron Man anime, all i ket thinking was "Sora should be here for this". "
    Well, they did save Stan Lee's signing for Sunday.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By No_name_here
    @danhimself said:
    " ummmm is that the guy from Lost next to Sora?? "
    Don't you remember Tony's guest appearance in the third season?
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No_name_here
    @Kitschy said:
    " Absolutely have to take a moment to thank Tom for being so chill during our encounter just as he was prepping for his big opening ceremony speech.  Not just chatting, but snapping a pic and actually remembering my name.  That's crazy hype.  I rarely get star struck (being a journo for the game industry and meeting creative types all the time) but Tom is seriously on a whole other echelon.  He's the sexiest cat in comics right now!  And somehow Sora was on point the entire time, not phased by any of the surrounding madness. LBCC 2010 is the best con I've been to in years.  Reminds of the good old days when attendees could get some time to chat with the brilliant minds behind the comic book industry and thank them for their creative genius.  I'm already planning and anticipating next year's LBCC!! "
    Thanks for the kind words, dude! Like I said, it's always a pleasure to meet fans.  Wait 'till you the videos go up for the stuff we did at the show... it's going to be on an even higher echelon.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_name_here
    @Lovenuggets said:  
    Exactly my feelings. Big shows, small shows, medium shows... they all offer something unique and exciting. Glad to see you made it to Anime Vice, too!
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By danhimself
    @Tom Pinchuk said:
    " @danhimself said:
    Don't you remember Tony's guest appearance in the third season? "
    lol but no the guy on the other side of Sora
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @Tom Pinchuk:
    Nope. The character just looks familiar.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By No_name_here
    @Eyz said:
    " Looks like a blast^^ "
    It was a blast!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Kitschy said:

"And somehow Sora was on point the entire time, not phased by any of the surrounding madness. LBCC 2010 is the best con I've been to in years.  Reminds of the good old days when attendees could get some time to chat with the brilliant minds behind the comic book industry and thank them for their creative genius.  I'm already planning and anticipating next year's LBCC!! "

Well me not being phased by madness was all a front... By the time I was going home something in my mind clicked and I realized how overwhelming everything was! Same as you next year's LBCC is on my "To-Con" list!

@danhimself said:

" @Tom Pinchuk said:

" @danhimself said:
    Don't you remember Tony's guest appearance in the third season? "
    lol but no the guy on the other side of Sora "
    All my friends keep asking that question! lol! He does resemble him somehow...  

@Tom Pinchuk: I'm going to start calling you "the sexiest man in comics" from now on! Did you get footage of the party and the costume contest?
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By No_name_here
    @sora_thekey said: 
    @Tom Pinchuk: I'm going to start calling you "the sexiest man in comics" from now on! Did you get footage of the party and the costume contest? "
    I should put that on my business card. 
    No, no footage at the contest. We were "off the clock" by then. We did grab a couple pictures while we were playing pool, though.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Tom Pinchuk: yeah. That and the stuff for kids was a slight push, but you couls still tell that Saturday was the day, and the others where just for the committed few.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Tom Pinchuk: Business Cards that say Sexiest man in Comics might bring up your game! Next year I will make sure to go all 3 days... or at least Friday and Saturday that way I won't miss stuff like that!
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Eyz
    @Tom Pinchuk said:
    " @Eyz said:
    " Looks like a blast^^ "
    It was a blast! "
    I really need to get to one of these conventions someday...
    Doesn't help me that I'm so far away, in the middle of Europe :/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.