So about the staff (Movie Spoilers!)

#1 Posted by DH69 (4324 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got back from seeing avengers (Third time) and it finally doned on me, Is that blue object in the staff the mind gem? Because when you think about it Loki is essentially being manipulated by Thanos, its stated that he's the one who gave loki the staff, and it allows loki to turn people into obedient puppets, plus they've already shown the gauntlet in thor. and its the exact same color as the mind gem in the comics I mean aside from shooting energy bolts it essentially does what the mind gems known for

#2 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (14394 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

I thought the "Tesseract" was a different object altogether......Loki had the staff when he was with the Chitauri while the cube was on earth....right??
#4 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

I thought the "Tesseract" was a different object altogether......Loki had the staff when he was with the Chitauri while the cube was on earth....right??

Technically the Tesseract was what it was, but they have said it was the cosmic cube we have seen in Captain America: the First Avenger and Thor.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (14394 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

I thought the "Tesseract" was a different object altogether......Loki had the staff when he was with the Chitauri while the cube was on earth....right??

Technically the Tesseract was what it was, but they have said it was the cosmic cube we have seen in Captain America: the First Avenger and Thor.

No.....
 
I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos
#6 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

I thought the "Tesseract" was a different object altogether......Loki had the staff when he was with the Chitauri while the cube was on earth....right??

Technically the Tesseract was what it was, but they have said it was the cosmic cube we have seen in Captain America: the First Avenger and Thor.

No..... I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. But the stuff in Loki's staff is the cosmic cube (or Tesseract).

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (14394 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

No..... I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. But the stuff in Loki's staff is the cosmic cube (or Tesseract).

How...is there more than one??
#8 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Tesseract = Cosmic Cube

Not the same thing as the gem on Loki's staff which the OP is talking about.

#9 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

No..... I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. But the stuff in Loki's staff is the cosmic cube (or Tesseract).

How...is there more than one??

What do you mean?

#10 Edited by The_Tree (8608 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a nice catch. Sounds like it could definitely be a possibility.

#11 Posted by cattlebattle (14394 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

How...is there more than one??

What do you mean?

I mean..Lokis sceptor, which had the gem on it, was given to him by Thanos, allegedly....he brought it with him to earth...the cube on the other hand, was already on earth...how exactly were they the same object
#12 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: There is only one known Cosmic Cube in the movies. And as a Cube, it can't be the gem which is an oval shape on Loki's Staff given to him by Thanos. The OP is thinking the Gem on the Staff is the Mind Gem of the Infinity Gauntlet given that it allowed Loki to control Selvig and Hawkeye.

#13 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio
Mind Gem. Could be the same one on the staff?
#14 Edited by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing on Loki's staff wasn't the Cosmic Cube.

The Cosmic Cube was inside the machine that was powering the portal towards the end, and Loki still had the fully-functioned staff at the same time.

I like the Infinity Gem theory though. How big was it, though? Aren't the gems relatively tiny?

#15 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

How...is there more than one??

What do you mean?

I mean..Lokis sceptor, which had the gem on it, was given to him by Thanos, allegedly....he brought it with him to earth...the cube on the other hand, was already on earth...how exactly were they the same object

I don't know. I think people put to much logic into these things. While watching the Incredible Hulk, I asked myself how Bruce didn't die of radiation poisoning.

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@TheCannon: There is only one known Cosmic Cube in the movies. And as a Cube, it can't be the gem which is an oval shape on Loki's Staff given to him by Thanos. The OP is thinking the Gem on the Staff is the Mind Gem of the Infinity Gauntlet given that it allowed Loki to control Selvig and Hawkeye.

Can't be. All gems were in the infinity gauntlet in Thor.

#16 Posted by The_Tree (8608 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I dunno, that gauntlet looks pretty big.

#17 Posted by cattlebattle (14394 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

How...is there more than one??

What do you mean?

I mean..Lokis sceptor, which had the gem on it, was given to him by Thanos, allegedly....he brought it with him to earth...the cube on the other hand, was already on earth...how exactly were they the same object

I don't know. I think people put to much logic into these things. While watching the Incredible Hulk, I asked myself how Bruce didn't die of radiation poisoning.


I can understand your logic there but still, .......that seems like a pretty large detail to overlook, it was pretty important to the plot and Whedon is a comic book fan so....
#18 Edited by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: It looks like the centerpiece. Is that the gem that the OP is talking about?

#19 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio
The Infinity Gauntlet

@TheCannon: You are correct. It's there on the knuckle of the pinkey finger.

#20 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024: I dunno, that gauntlet looks pretty big.

The Display Gauntlet looks like it needs light. The pic I posted have the gems lit up.

#21 Edited by The_Tree (8608 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I know that there are six gems, and the mind gem is blue. But from these pictures, it looks like the center is blue, and the pinky knuckle gem is blue as well. And of the six, only one is blue, unless the movieverse is different. So I can't tell.

#22 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1048 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

No. The cosmic cube was already on Earth and was preoccupied at times while Loki used his staff, which contains something that is not cube shaped whatsoever.@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

How...is there more than one??

What do you mean?

I mean..Lokis sceptor, which had the gem on it, was given to him by Thanos, allegedly....he brought it with him to earth...the cube on the other hand, was already on earth...how exactly were they the same object

I don't know. I think people put to much logic into these things. While watching the Incredible Hulk, I asked myself how Bruce didn't die of radiation poisoning.

That isn't logic, it's following the plot of the movie.

Anyway, it could be. Others think it's a variation of the cosmic control rod that Annihilus used and that Johnny Storm now possesses.

#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Gotcha.

Come to think of it, what happened to the staff? Did SHIELD take it?

#24 Posted by DH69 (4324 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm the colors of the gems in the gauntlet prop look fairly off but the scepters gem is pretty close to the centers gems size

#25 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2068 posts) - - Show Bio
The Infinity Gauntlet

@DH69 said:

hmm the colors of the gems in the gauntlet prop look fairly off but the scepters gem is pretty close to the centers gems size

What's off is the sizes of the gems in the movie gauntlet.

#26 Posted by SoA (5821 posts) - - Show Bio

@DH69: that actually makes sense and gives thanos a reason to be in the sequel , besides the annihilation of earth , heading back to retrieve the gem and with my theory that the next set of sequels(cap 2 , iron man 3, thor 2, etc) ending credits showing off thanos as he approaches earth makes total sense to me .

#27 Posted by SadiaVicious (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Mind gem, no doubt.

#28 Posted by Xanni15 (6791 posts) - - Show Bio

How is it the mind gem when the IG is on Asgard? More than likely the staff was made a while ago before the Tesseract was lost.

#29 Posted by xaviersstudent (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The tesseract is the space gem, it is referred to as an infinity stone at the end of thor the dark world when they bring the aether "power" gem to the collector. Lokis staff being the mind gem works and there may even be a point of the soul gem in Guardians as Adam Warlock was at one point a member of them.

#30 Posted by xreddawgx (1 posts) - - Show Bio

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_%28film%29_rumors

"All Infinity Stones (including the Orb, the Tesseract, the Scepter and the Aether) may be dubbed and explained by Thanos in a scene."

look at the synopsis they did for winter soldier, pretty spot on. so yes loki's staff is an infinity gem,

- most likely the mind gem from observing its powers,

-when eric selvig explains to black widow at the top of stark tower that, "The tesseract can't protect aginst herself" he was half right, the force field the tesseract made around the generator was being breached by another gem since gems can't protect against each other, i think Eric unknowingly meant that the gems can't protect against each other

#31 Posted by LogicPrevails (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The main two reasons I DON'T think the gem in the Chitauri Staff is the Mind Gem are thus:

1. In the Guardians of the Galaxy scene where the Collector explains the gems, the colours of the gems can be seen, and although you cannot see their modern equivalents (other than the three that have been revealed), you can see their colours. There are NO REPEATED COLOURS. There is only one blue gem- the Tesseract- in that scene.

2. Thanos wouldn't give Loki sceptre that contained one of the most powerful artefacts in the MCU. Especially as Thanos is trying to collect them himself. If he had any of the Infinity Gems, he's simply use them, rather than palm them off onto an entity weaker than himself, well known for his trickery and betrayal.

#32 Posted by N00beditor3 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

http://screenrant.com/thor-3-tom-hiddleston-loki-scepter-infinity-mind-gem/

Confirmed. Looks like the original poster had some crazy foresight!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.