Follow

Loki

Character » Loki appears in 2202 issues.

Loki is the Jötunn/Asgardian God of Mischief and Prince of Lies, the adopted son of Odin and typically nemesis of his brother, Thor, as well as the adoptive brother to former Guardian of the Galaxy, Angela. Loki has schemed against Thor and Asgard for ages and his cosmic meddling led to the formation of the Avengers. Recently reincarnated, he decided to reform. Going on to protect the realms as the agent of Asgard, then as the sorcerer supreme, to defeating Laufey and becoming king of Jotunnheim.

So about the staff (Movie Spoilers!)

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DH69

Just got back from seeing avengers (Third time) and it finally doned on me, Is that blue object in the staff the mind gem? Because when you think about it Loki is essentially being manipulated by Thanos, its stated that he's the one who gave loki the staff, and it allows loki to turn people into obedient puppets, plus they've already shown the gauntlet in thor. and its the exact same color as the mind gem in the comics I mean aside from shooting energy bolts it essentially does what the mind gems known for

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#2  Edited By TheCannon

Way off. It's the cosmic cube.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheCannon said:

I thought the "Tesseract" was a different object altogether......Loki had the staff when he was with the Chitauri while the cube was on earth....right??
    TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCannon

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

I thought the "Tesseract" was a different object altogether......Loki had the staff when he was with the Chitauri while the cube was on earth....right??

Technically the Tesseract was what it was, but they have said it was the cosmic cube we have seen in Captain America: the First Avenger and Thor.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

Technically the Tesseract was what it was, but they have said it was the cosmic cube we have seen in Captain America: the First Avenger and Thor.

No.....

I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos
    TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheCannon

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

No..... I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. But the stuff in Loki's staff is the cosmic cube (or Tesseract).

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheCannon said:

No..... I know the Tesseract is the cosmic cube...I am saying the gem in Lokis staff is a different object altogether, he had it with him while the cube was on earth...it was apparently given to him by Thanos

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. But the stuff in Loki's staff is the cosmic cube (or Tesseract).

How...is there more than one??
    Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Tesseract = Cosmic Cube

Not the same thing as the gem on Loki's staff which the OP is talking about.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheCannon

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

What do you mean?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By the_tree

That's a nice catch. Sounds like it could definitely be a possibility.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

What do you mean?

I mean..Lokis sceptor, which had the gem on it, was given to him by Thanos, allegedly....he brought it with him to earth...the cube on the other hand, was already on earth...how exactly were they the same object
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@TheCannon: There is only one known Cosmic Cube in the movies. And as a Cube, it can't be the gem which is an oval shape on Loki's Staff given to him by Thanos. The OP is thinking the Gem on the Staff is the Mind Gem of the Infinity Gauntlet given that it allowed Loki to control Selvig and Hawkeye.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX
    Mind Gem. Could be the same one on the staff?
    Mind Gem. Could be the same one on the staff?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

The thing on Loki's staff wasn't the Cosmic Cube.

The Cosmic Cube was inside the machine that was powering the portal towards the end, and Loki still had the fully-functioned staff at the same time.

I like the Infinity Gem theory though. How big was it, though? Aren't the gems relatively tiny?

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCannon

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

What do you mean?

I mean..Lokis sceptor, which had the gem on it, was given to him by Thanos, allegedly....he brought it with him to earth...the cube on the other hand, was already on earth...how exactly were they the same object

I don't know. I think people put to much logic into these things. While watching the Incredible Hulk, I asked myself how Bruce didn't die of radiation poisoning.

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@TheCannon: There is only one known Cosmic Cube in the movies. And as a Cube, it can't be the gem which is an oval shape on Loki's Staff given to him by Thanos. The OP is thinking the Gem on the Staff is the Mind Gem of the Infinity Gauntlet given that it allowed Loki to control Selvig and Hawkeye.

Can't be. All gems were in the infinity gauntlet in Thor.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024: I dunno, that gauntlet looks pretty big.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

What do you mean?

I don't know. I think people put to much logic into these things. While watching the Incredible Hulk, I asked myself how Bruce didn't die of radiation poisoning.

I can understand your logic there but still, .......that seems like a pretty large detail to overlook, it was pretty important to the plot and Whedon is a comic book fan so....
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree: It looks like the centerpiece. Is that the gem that the OP is talking about?

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX
    The Infinity Gauntlet
    The Infinity Gauntlet

@TheCannon: You are correct. It's there on the knuckle of the pinkey finger.

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@The_Tree said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@Gambit1024: I dunno, that gauntlet looks pretty big.

The Display Gauntlet looks like it needs light. The pic I posted have the gems lit up.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024: I know that there are six gems, and the mind gem is blue. But from these pictures, it looks like the center is blue, and the pinky knuckle gem is blue as well. And of the six, only one is blue, unless the movieverse is different. So I can't tell.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@TheCannon said:

No. The cosmic cube was already on Earth and was preoccupied at times while Loki used his staff, which contains something that is not cube shaped whatsoever.@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

@TheCannon said:

@cattlebattle said:

What do you mean?

That isn't logic, it's following the plot of the movie.

Anyway, it could be. Others think it's a variation of the cosmic control rod that Annihilus used and that Johnny Storm now possesses.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree: Gotcha.

Come to think of it, what happened to the staff? Did SHIELD take it?

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By DH69

hmm the colors of the gems in the gauntlet prop look fairly off but the scepters gem is pretty close to the centers gems size

TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX
    The Infinity Gauntlet
    The Infinity Gauntlet
    No Caption Provided

@DH69 said:

hmm the colors of the gems in the gauntlet prop look fairly off but the scepters gem is pretty close to the centers gems size

What's off is the sizes of the gems in the movie gauntlet.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By SoA

@DH69: that actually makes sense and gives thanos a reason to be in the sequel , besides the annihilation of earth , heading back to retrieve the gem and with my theory that the next set of sequels(cap 2 , iron man 3, thor 2, etc) ending credits showing off thanos as he approaches earth makes total sense to me .

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SadiaVicious

Mind gem, no doubt.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Xanni15

How is it the mind gem when the IG is on Asgard? More than likely the staff was made a while ago before the Tesseract was lost.

xaviersstudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tesseract is the space gem, it is referred to as an infinity stone at the end of thor the dark world when they bring the aether "power" gem to the collector. Lokis staff being the mind gem works and there may even be a point of the soul gem in Guardians as Adam Warlock was at one point a member of them.

xreddawgx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_%28film%29_rumors

"All Infinity Stones (including the Orb, the Tesseract, the Scepter and the Aether) may be dubbed and explained by Thanos in a scene."

look at the synopsis they did for winter soldier, pretty spot on. so yes loki's staff is an infinity gem,

- most likely the mind gem from observing its powers,

-when eric selvig explains to black widow at the top of stark tower that, "The tesseract can't protect aginst herself" he was half right, the force field the tesseract made around the generator was being breached by another gem since gems can't protect against each other, i think Eric unknowingly meant that the gems can't protect against each other

LogicPrevails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main two reasons I DON'T think the gem in the Chitauri Staff is the Mind Gem are thus:

1. In the Guardians of the Galaxy scene where the Collector explains the gems, the colours of the gems can be seen, and although you cannot see their modern equivalents (other than the three that have been revealed), you can see their colours. There are NO REPEATED COLOURS. There is only one blue gem- the Tesseract- in that scene.

2. Thanos wouldn't give Loki sceptre that contained one of the most powerful artefacts in the MCU. Especially as Thanos is trying to collect them himself. If he had any of the Infinity Gems, he's simply use them, rather than palm them off onto an entity weaker than himself, well known for his trickery and betrayal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f035224e8503
    deactivated-5f035224e8503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://screenrant.com/thor-3-tom-hiddleston-loki-scepter-infinity-mind-gem/

Confirmed. Looks like the original poster had some crazy foresight!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.